Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Probably the last miniatures I'm painting this year. My absolute favourite* thing about photographing figures is that it immediately highlights all the minor imperfections that arent visible with the naked eye. The nozzle of the primer I was using was clogged and it was coming out kind of bitty, in person its absolutely fine, but in the photos it gives the skin a weird texture.

Anyway, you know how sometimes you have a pig over here, but you want it to be over there instead? Malifaux gremlins have the solution! The Pigapault. An ebay rescue that was assembled when I got it, theres some fairly nasty lines on the pig which I wish I'd done a better job of fixing, but again I'm happy enough its "decent tabletop" standard to me at least.

Burt Jebson. The spotting effect on the skin and jeans is 100% not visible in person, and I have since spotted I missed his elbow and fixed that.

Merris LaCroix. I'm pleased with how the flames/smoke from her rocket pack turned out.

Gremlin Taxidermist (1E Metal). Came incredibly close to painting what I later realised is supposed to be his lip as a moustache, have to admit I'm not wildly in love with the sculpt on this one, but I was doing "Gremlins which are part of crews I already have painted" and I wanted him out of my pile of shame.

Old Cranky. In an attempt to make him look older I did his skin as repeated washes of Chamoshade over a white undercoat, it actually came out okay which was frankly a suprise.

*definitely not my favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Sojenus posted:

It sounds like most of the ships are larger than you want, but here's some of the smaller ship classes from Dropfleet if you want to get a more exact size idea on them and they're more what you're looking for.

That's really helpful. It's hard to find any scale pictures for drop fleet.

6 cm is about the high end of what I'm aiming for, with a goal of clearly identifiable large/medium/small classes. So that is really close to working. Maybe I'll just make a fleet that doesn't do small ships.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Jumping on the Malifaux train! The last Obliteration models, as well as a photo of the whole keyword.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

MRLOLAST posted:

I love the DE BB sculpts. Been playing BB forever and the original ones are so iconic to me. Here are some pics of the original sculpts.
https://wotfudboy.blogspot.com/2017/11/dark-elves-blood-bowl-team.html?m=1

Sorry for not being specific, I meant the new sculpts in particular. I was hoping for some good reference pictures, because I'm a bit iffy on the various details.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Jumping on the Malifaux train! The last Obliteration models, as well as a photo of the whole keyword.

Nice, I like the big beasties, the lighting effect you have on them is pretty awesome.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Painted some more Marvel dudes:

It's nice to stretch out and paint different colors and schemes, instead of slogging through whole armies. The models aren't super bogged down with detail either. A++ would paint dollies again.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
fwiw I stopped by my local hobby store yesterday and the lady said they'd just gotten in Vallejo Metal Colours again and some of the bottles say New Formulation on the side so you can look forward to that when it comes in for you guys

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Eej posted:

fwiw I stopped by my local hobby store yesterday and the lady said they'd just gotten in Vallejo Metal Colours again and some of the bottles say New Formulation on the side so you can look forward to that when it comes in for you guys

What's different?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

Painted some more Marvel dudes:

It's nice to stretch out and paint different colors and schemes, instead of slogging through whole armies. The models aren't super bogged down with detail either. A++ would paint dollies again.

Your tiny superheroes and villains are jumping-off-the-comic-book-page awesome.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I know some of you lunatics must paint tiny space ships.

I picked up some full thrust ships from Ground Zero Games and the quality is frustrating. We're beyond flash territory into what I can only call crud. In some cases I'm half sculpting my own minis out of lead with an exacto knife. I can paint them and they're going to look alright, but it's going to be tedious covering up all the defects. I think it might be just the age of some of the molds.

Does anyone have experience with space ship manufactures that aren't awful?

GZG are literally garage kits, the designs are very good but the production quality will never quite match up.

Ad Astra Games has very good quality. They've got a homegrown line plus a line of Traveller warships (disclaimer, I am their Traveller Line Editor)
https://www.adastragames.com/products?category=Miniatures

We regularly use Charles Oines as a sculptor, and he has his own designs on Shapeways. Very cool designs with a unique style. Look here for Hard SF designs including Orion-drive warships. Probably the highest quality available except for other 3D printed models.
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/irrationaldesigns

Agents of Gaming's Babylon 5 miniatures are still being sold. Quality on the B5 Wars line was okay (better than GZG but not great), the ACTA line was better castings and larger scale for smaller minis.
https://agents-of-gaming.myshopify.com/

Studio Bergstrom started as a garage manufacturer but has evolved into 3d modelling instead of continuing to sculpt by hand. Their big thing is knock-offs of major properties. So if you want a not-Star Wars, or not-BSG fleet, they've got you covered.
https://studiobergstrom.com

Starship Modeler has a webstore and forums. The store is mostly larger, often resin, kits, but I've bought many minis over the years from people on the forums.
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Taking a break from GW stuff to paint up some Infinity pieces. Tonight a Yu Jing Zhanshi. It's my first time trying to "blend" colors to get a gradient effect. It went... okay. It'll get better. :)

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Ravenstar Studio's Cold Navy? Is 3d printing how people do space ships these days?

With GZG, the older the ranges the worse the casting. Their NAC ships can be painful, but their Kra'Vak re-release are much higher quality. I got some FSE ships last year and they were pretty good, just needed cleanup around the engines.

Cold Navy is variable. The original range that Ravenstar bought is excellent. Ravenstar's own expansions to that range are decidedly cut-and-paste; you can usually tell which ship is which by the repeated details. Never had any issues with casting quality though. If you want more in the way of broadsides-in-space, try the Noble Armada range - it has some lovely designs, especially for big capital ships.

Bergstrom's stuff is good but watch out, the guy doesn't include stands. You have to order them separately. Brigade Models are decent but you do need to get the green stuff out to fix fine bubbles in a lot of their models. I also had a wonderful time with the War Rocket models by Hydra Miniatures, which are all 50s atomic rocketships.

3D printing is indeed very popular but places you at the mercy of Sturgeon's Law. It's very much a "find your preferences and follow that one store relentlessly" kinda thing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Yeast posted:

What's different?

As far as I know they had difficulty sourcing ingredients during the pandemic and had to find a replacement which is why they disappeared off the market for months.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Skails posted:

Finished up Champion for the armored skeleton command

Here’s the rest of the crew so far. Gonna fill this unit out to 10

These are perfect. Exactly what I see in my mind when I think of skellingtons. How did you do the cool mottled metal?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Cross-posting from the 40K thread

TotalHell posted:

After roughly two decades away from 40K, I've been pulled back in by the combination of YT channels, a new edition, and seeing everyone's glorious painted minis.

So here, have my first 40K minis in a long time, some IW Chaos Culstists.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Crosspost:
I worked on UR-025.
Took about 3 hours in total between the priming, airbrushing, details, testors dull coating, etc.
Doing a direct link because no photos ever tag properly in the awful app for me for some reason:
https://imgur.com/a/GaAdZo9

If there are recs for how to make UR-025 look better I'm all ears.

I know I should probably do some edge highlighting on the visor to really sell my cheapo osl but I've only painted like 10 models in my life and I'm not confident enough to try it yet at this tiny a scale. Where should I place the lines? Under the whole visor, only under the "eyes" on the sides?

Aside from that, does anyone know of any technical videos going over osl with an airbrush? Every one I see is basically just a quick banging out 5 minute job for plasma and they usually look decent, but they're no where near some of the best plasma effects I've seen before and I'd like to get a bit more depth.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm a pretty mediocre painter, but I kitbashed Harrowhark Nonagesimus (warlord for a bone-themed haemonculus coven) out of a boneshaper and some spare Slaanesh bitz and I'm feeling pretty good about her

e: trying again with some less-garbage lighting

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 1, 2021

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I too enjoyed the weird space sci-fi lesbian necromancy that is Gideon the Ninth

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah it started out as a haemonculus coven with a bone theme and at some point I just decided to commit to the Ninth House thing, so now Harrow's gonna go beat up some space marines. I've got a HeroForge Gideon coming and I'm debating whether she should be an Archon or the boss lady of an incubus squad.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Crosspostin' from the oath thread. This mini is older than I am but I love how much character these old sculpts have. Mostly a fun excuse to practice painting skin and attempt to push contrast without going into cartoony territory or relying on stark edge highlights.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Harkano posted:

Had a very productive New Year's Eve of hobbying with some pals on discord.

First experience with a big FW model, and man I'm glad I came in with my eyes open about how tough this would be to put together, and very glad I was doing a traitor legion with lots of excuses to green stuff horrible things everywhere to cover where it struggled to come together!

Crossposting my new chunky resin child.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Harkano posted:

Love everything about this!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Harkano posted:

That's sick!

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Finished 6 meganobz to end the new year

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

yum posted:

Finished 6 meganobz to end the new year

gently caress, those look dope as hell.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I decided to get back into 40k after a very, very long hiatus amd I had a question regarding primer sprays that I can't find a definitive answer on. If I have a primer spray from Army Painter in the "base" color for my army (if I want to do a black-and-gold motif with black being the main color, for example), would I need to paint over the primer with a basecoat of the same color, or would the primer be fine on its own once sealed?

I'm not planning on using the primer spray as my base color, but I got curious about if you needed to paint over primer while I was ordering my paints from my FLGS, but couldn't find an answer in relation to miniatures (if I wanted to paint my house on the other hand...).

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

I decided to get back into 40k after a very, very long hiatus amd I had a question regarding primer sprays that I can't find a definitive answer on. If I have a primer spray from Army Painter in the "base" color for my army (if I want to do a black-and-gold motif with black being the main color, for example), would I need to paint over the primer with a basecoat of the same color, or would the primer be fine on its own once sealed?

I'm not planning on using the primer spray as my base color, but I got curious about if you needed to paint over primer while I was ordering my paints from my FLGS, but couldn't find an answer in relation to miniatures (if I wanted to paint my house on the other hand...).

Most people do paint over it, because the extra layers add depth, not to mention most people are probably doing a shade, highlight or dry brushing etc.

However, using colored primer is a legit speed painting technique. If you want to get a horde Army on the table fast, then there's no reason you can't do it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Randalor posted:

You don't have to but depending on the spray brand/colour, there can be a difference between the spray and pot version of the same colour. Doing a quick thin base coat with the pot colour lets you colour match when you've accidentally gone over the primer. Army painter claim to colour match their primer/pot colours by using the same acrylic pigment in both, which makes AP sprays behave a little differently to other brands, but the one time I tried this with their pure red colour they were so laughably far apart it actually did my head in.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the main problem with using primer as base layer is it’s hard, if not impossible, to touch up properly if you gently caress up and paint over it by mistake

E: yeah what they said above me lol

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh okay, good to know for future reference.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

These are perfect. Exactly what I see in my mind when I think of skellingtons. How did you do the cool mottled metal?

Thanks! The metal is a pretty solid coat of leadbelcher, then stippled/splotched with nuln oil. If I want darker spots I use watered down black. Also do some scratches with black with a brush with the best point and a line of white under it. The brown/rusty tones are from a burnt umber ink wash. It’s Daler Rowney mixed 1:1 with matte medium with a bit of flow improver. This is the Goobertown hobbies contrast substitute recipe. If I had it I’d just use contrast wyldewood.

Also Happy New Year! here is most of my painting from 2020.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
First two prologue survivors for KDM done.
I followed a guide and learned a bunch about OLS.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
God drat

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah this.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

TotalHell posted:

gently caress, those look dope as hell.

Thanks!

Skails posted:

Thanks! The metal is a pretty solid coat of leadbelcher, then stippled/splotched with nuln oil. If I want darker spots I use watered down black. Also do some scratches with black with a brush with the best point and a line of white under it. The brown/rusty tones are from a burnt umber ink wash. It’s Daler Rowney mixed 1:1 with matte medium with a bit of flow improver. This is the Goobertown hobbies contrast substitute recipe. If I had it I’d just use contrast wyldewood.

Also Happy New Year! here is most of my painting from 2020.

dmnz posted:

First two prologue survivors for KDM done.
I followed a guide and learned a bunch about OLS.

owns and owns

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I didn't paint much in 2020, because I got a bad case of sad brain during our 16 week lockdown.

Got a couple of things done tho.

My Delaque gang

and a 40K Thunderbolt

In 2021 my goals are to paint a new 40k Iyanden army, and maybe a Sigmar army.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Y'all makes me wanna burn my brushes :D

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MRLOLAST posted:

:same:
But that's how I usually feel looking at finished stuff here. :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Iterating on colour scheme, based in Ivory and used a little bit of Seraphim Sepia wash to give it a little more warmth and really tried to go for a streaky charred bone feel.

Then I went and painted the receiver a different colour for more contrast and I'm pretty happy with it. Now to figure out vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

MRLOLAST posted:

If it'll help, I can post some of my stuff so you'll feel better