Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i cant think of any reason for it to say that. the dlc characters are stronger than early game units would normally be. eventually the power curve levels out and they arent that much stronger than standard units but idk why itd tell you to rush for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah that's just a bad 'tip' imho

Use them if you like the characters or want to breeze through very early on, don't if you uh..don't I guess!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

i cant think of any reason for it to say that. the dlc characters are stronger than early game units would normally be. eventually the power curve levels out and they arent that much stronger than standard units but idk why itd tell you to rush for them.

Swamp Witch rear end in a top hat is probably the strongest unit in the game at any point but that's just bad balancing. But yeah, don't rush for them. They're basically cheats.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gamerofthegame posted:

skies of arcadia really needs a cool sequel.

airships are good.

I'd even settle for new games that steal ideas from Skies, specifically the ship combat, which is still easily one of my favourite battle systems. Rip that whole thing out and shove it into anything else with ships, on the ocean or in the sky or in space, and I'd play it. Suikoden IV should've adapted it for their fleet engagements. Every Star Trek game should have it. Maybe Infinite Space got close but probably not close enough.

Don't even change the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VapDSodYlHE

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Infinite Space definitely got pretty close, and I just loved all the voiced tactical lines in combat.

"FIRE FOR EFFECT! :black101:"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Asking here since I remember at least one person played Atelier Marie and posted here and I'm not sure if they also read the Atelier thread

I'm at a point where the only two items I'm missing are Dunkelheit and the Philosopher's Stone (which requires Dunkelheit to craft). I Have the entry for Dunkelheit in my item list and I remember reading the book that teaches Marie about it, but when I go to the nearby forest on the eclipse I just don't gather them. I remember in Elie I didn't have any issues at all getting them in large quantities. Anyone know what I might be missing? Maybe it's just one of those items that requires two books and the second one has a really really late event. Marie's knowledge is maxed out so it's not a book gated in the normal way, at least, but it is only year 4 so there's still time for stuff to happen.

e: I don't know if it was just better RNG or a legit requirement but I tried again and this time left my workshop on the day of the eclipse, instead of arriving in the forest early. I got a cutscene where Marie remarked on it and got my Dunkelheit.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 2, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The Dunkelheit was the last thing I still really needed so I just slept the remaining year and a half of the game away

Whoever was talking about Marie and Elie a few months ago (The Colonel, I think???), I agree that there's a few things Marie does better than Elie. The main thing Marie does better is event discoverability--you can easily miss like half the content in Elie and have a really unsatisfying experience. But ultimately Marie just has really bad event density. Every cutscene is interesting but I have no idea what they expected you to be doing for five in-game years. If I had understood the trigger for Dunkelheits instead of assuming it was the same as in Elie, I could have had the entire item encyclopedia filled out in year 3.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah that's just a bad 'tip' imho

Use them if you like the characters or want to breeze through very early on, don't if you uh..don't I guess!

I've edit privileges on the wiki so I removed it from the page, the tips are from goons in the BIP thread so it's the overall best place for pointing out any corrections (and submitting good tips).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

IIRC, the main thing is actually that they come with unique weapons that are way higher level, which is more of what breaks the power curve then their actual stats or skills.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

For those who've played Wasteland 2 or Darkest Dungeon, how grindy are those games?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Can't speak for Wasteland 2, but Darkest Dungeon is very grindy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How did the Trials of Mana remake pan out? I remember stuff about the VA being kinda bad, but otherwise all right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

anakha posted:

For those who've played Wasteland 2 or Darkest Dungeon, how grindy are those games?

Darkest is literally a meat grinder that you shove troops into over and over until you build them up enough to get them killed in higher level dungeons, its like recursive in how punishing it can be.

You can have fun with it though without grinding much and just beating the first couple zones. Actually completing the game is the opposite of fun.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

exquisite tea posted:

How did the Trials of Mana remake pan out? I remember stuff about the VA being kinda bad, but otherwise all right?

One particularly egregious VA aside, it's straight improvement down to mechanics and gameplay. Best version of that game hands down to play, slightly less impressive to look at on a couple of bosses comparing the old sprites to new 3D.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

anakha posted:

For Wasteland just go straight to wasteland 3 (2 is a bit of a mess and archaic that 3 cleans up) and Darkest Dungeon does not give one poo poo about your time. To beat the final dungeon you have to run it a minimum of four times, and with 4 unique parties so enjoy spending an entire lifetime grinding that out.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The Wasteland games and Darkest Dungeon are very different beasts. Wasteland is closer to your usual CRPG with a main quest, sidequests, and stuff to explore.

Darkest Dungeon is pure, randomly-generated dungeon crawling and it's more about dealing with punishing odds and taking losses.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 2, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

exquisite tea posted:

There's only one egregiously bad VA, and it's down to a completely baffling writing/localization decision rather than actual bad acting. Other than that, it's a fantastic remake and is pretty much the definitive version of the game, IMO.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Which VA specifically, is it one of the MCs whose path I can avoid?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I assume it's Charlotte, who talks in baby talk?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's Charlotte. She shows up fairly briefly in any path though.

Though she's also the best healer in game (though really only possibly needed on the hardest difficulty)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Okay, I was thinking of taking Angela or Hawkeye's path anyway who IIRC don't interact a whole lot with Charlotte.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

exquisite tea posted:

Okay, I was thinking of taking Angela or Hawkeye's path anyway who IIRC don't interact a whole lot with Charlotte.

I chose Angela and you'll be forced into two scenes with her, one of which sucks way more.

Otherwise she's quite avoidable if not chosen as one of your three.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

There's only one egregiously bad VA, and it's down to a completely baffling writing/localization decision rather than actual bad acting. Other than that, it's a fantastic remake and is pretty much the definitive version of the game, IMO.

Clarste posted:

I assume it's Charlotte, who talks in baby talk?

Just out of curiosity, what's the "intended" tone/take on the character rather than "baby talk"?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's the "intended" tone/take on the character rather than "baby talk"?

she's supposed to be that way but they go a bit overboard. personally maybe it's brainworms growing but it got kinda ironically funny for me after a while.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Charlotte was always intended to sound childish, Japanese just tends to have different norms and forms to express that - she speaks with simplified script (no kanji), she refers to herself in the third person (often seen as a little kid thing), and she tends to end sentences with -dechi instead of -desu. As far back as 1995, she was meant to sound a bit... unique.

quote:

—Speaking of Charlotte, where did you come up with that unique way of speaking she has, where she ends everything with “dechi”.
(Designer Koichi) Ishii: There’s already so many characters that say “dechuu”, so we went with “dechi” instead. Of course if you heard a real kid talk like that, you’d probably think there was something wrong in the head with them.
Not that any of this necessarily means they had to go so heavy on the r=w replacement, but that's just the localization choice from the company that brought us Tama's the-speech.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and the reality is speech patterns like that come across way less annoying in japanese than they do in english

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It would say it depends on context and delivery and who is doing the cutesy affectation, but also Im biased because I find sajiao ( aikyou/aegyo) the vocal equivalent of nails on chalkboard fed through a reverbing amplifier so that has some knock on effects.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 2, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Charlotte is actually not hard to LISTEN to in English I find. It's the text that makes her painful.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Artelier posted:

So I was reading up Before I Play for Disgaea 5 and the last one says that if I want DLC characters I should get them early. So I got them from the content shop, Nisa, Swamp Witch, Girl Laharl, and they seem...really strong? Why should I get them early? Or were they referring to the characters I get from quests?

For reference, I haven't played Disgaea and earlier in this thread people said "If you wanna jump in just go to 5 straight" so I'm not sure if this is a precedent of some kind.

Metallia's an awful character in her own game, from all the hearsay I've heard elsewhere but she's great in D5. I think she gets the Tera Spells at like, level 50 so she'll skyrocket your damage output pretty fast if you can come up with a scheme to level her up extra fast.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah it's Charlotte. She shows up fairly briefly in any path though.

Though she's also the best healer in game (though really only possibly needed on the hardest difficulty)
Charlotte has some of the *better* acting in the game and you're crazy if you don't think so

She actually emotes in most scenes unlike, say, Riesz

Also miraculously her speech impediment is not annoying in speech at all! It's just really stupid to read

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Charlotte's alphabet only having 25 letters get grating real fast but it's not a deal breaker or anything.
Farming ??? seeds is still the worst part. Even if you don't have to farm them per se.
There's one in a chest in each of the 7 benevodon dungeons, you need a maximum of 6 of them. Having to run a bunch of dungeons twice is still a drat drag though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Baby talk" is the intended tone, and that would be completely fine, except the localization made the decision to find/replace every single instance of the letters R and L in her dialogue with W instead, so her dialogue comes off as parody UwU speak rather than a little kid talking. The Japanese writing/dialogue for her conveys this better, where she talks like a little kid and has a cutesy verbal tic, but it doesn't completely overwhelm every single thing she ever says.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

ChrisBTY posted:

Farming ??? seeds is still the worst part. Even if you don't have to farm them per se.
There's one in a chest in each of the 7 benevodon dungeons, you need a maximum of 6 of them. Having to run a bunch of dungeons twice is still a drat drag though.

Allegedly you're supposed to get one of each result from those dungeons but I had to farm. I had to farm like a motherfucker. I think I was at 13 before I got the class change item I wanted for Angela's 2nd tier.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Every single time I've done it it's given me one of each possibility in the chests. And then by the time you're on NG+ you have so many of them going into new games that I've never had a problem with it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I literally didn't get my main's dark+dark item until I was entering the final dungeon. I had to leave the place to pot it so she could use up about 13 levels of skill points.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Were you grinding seeds in-between the chests?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Nope, not until I got 3 Kevin items by the end of that chain did I start having to go out of my way to do so. And finally I stopped because my luck was so drat bad and continued the game.

Dug up my switch-tweet from the moment it finally happened https://twitter.com/bustrider/status/1306062022786777088

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Angela's VA direction is excellent, in the sense that her affecting a spoiled valley girl both fits perfectly with her in-game personality and is hilarious to listen to. The only warning I'd give is that she trivializes the game far moreso than in the original.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Anyone played vaporum on switch? I have a switch lite and heard the text can be rather tiny. Fun enough dungeon crawler? I've not really played any but it's on sale and feel I could get into what seems to be the atmosphere of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

END ME SCOOB posted:

Allegedly you're supposed to get one of each result from those dungeons but I had to farm. I had to farm like a motherfucker. I think I was at 13 before I got the class change item I wanted for Angela's 2nd tier.
If you plant six at once it will always give you one of each option for each character.

Not that there's any way anyone should be expected to know that, but still.