Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jaxyon posted:

There's actually some good instances I've seen in USPol of people buying into outright lies and BS framings from right wing propaganda, because propaganda works. You're not immune to right wing propaganda by being a leftist, nor are you immune from marketing by being aware of marketing.

Repeating information 24/7 from multiple sources will definitely catch some people who are ideologically opposed to the people who fabricated it.
Sometimes that's by design - look at the token left wing YouTube shows and lefty-friendly framing of tweets from The Hill, a conservative publication, which is almost undoubtedly doing these things to stoke division among their ideological enemies (and it's working swimmingly!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
As a contrarian at heart, I will exclusively post in USPol:Them and you can't stop me

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I am also a little worried, with this framing of Biden that if a political rival of Biden from the left is saying he has dementia and doesn't back it up with anything is ok because my side is inherently truthful.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

fool of sound posted:

USPol is a problem. It's the largest and fastest moving thread in D&D, and also arguably the worst one. It's dominated by contentless twitter embeds and grudgy slapfights, and extended or in-depth conversation is difficult as it get buried under a half dozen other arguments and and news stories. With the general election over it now generates easily 90% of both the reports and probations in the subforum, and despite adding a half dozen IKs to help out it still moves too quickly to effectively moderate, and I suspect it will remain so no matter how many mods or IKs we have watching it. Posters who are insightful contributors elsewhere become sneering shitposters The subject matter is too broad and the discussion too shallow. Meanwhile, while other threads occasionally have minor problems, they're frequently solvable via mod or IK participation instead of probations.

So, my proposal is to break up USPol. We already have a number of threads like the Right Wing Media thread, Polliwonks, the Police Reform/Abolition thread, the State & Local thread, and a number of others that cover US Politics on specific topics or from specific angles, and we could easily have several others: US Empire & Foreign Policy, Biden Administration & Federal Government, The Democratic Party and the young Left, and more on specific but discussion-worthy topics like the aforementioned police abolition thread.

The problem is, this has been tried before. USPol is D&D's Afghanistan. Several different sets of mods have tried to kill it and it always ends up re-forming. Despite the constant complaints, people keep gravitating back to it and it redevelops the same problems. It's possible this entire idea is wrongheaded, and that there's some other changes that could be made that would allow us to moderate USpol in a consistent and effective way.

So, we want to hear for you:
---What do you like and dislike about USPol?
---Should we try to break up USPol into smaller threads?
------If so, are there any particular threads that you think should be mod-created prior to doing so?
------If not, what should be done instead to improve the thread?

Reminder that this is not the place to prosecute posters you dislike, this include vaguebooking nonsense about "just ban the bad posters bing bang boom". That sort of thing isn't helpful. Feel free to let us know if you have any other concerns or suggestions for future feedback threads, but try to largely keep the thread on the current topic. Once this thread closes in a couple weeks, I'm planning on doing another feedback thread discussing tweets, sources, and how they are posted and discussed.

Any action is years late and the way probes and bans are handled in D&D gives me zero confidence anything will ever change. Moderators here busy themselves giving dozens of probes to repeat offenders with almost no ramping over a period of years, saving this only for posters they personally dislike. Failing that, mods do work better suited to a word filter. The amount of non/wasted effort by mods in this subforum is staggering.

Under current conditions, any work done to clean up US Pol will inevitably let the problem metastastize to other threads for months before anything is done, if ever. See for example the election thread, which was unreadable trash just as described in your post for almost its entire lifetime.

For starters, eliminate the concept of the megathread and insist threads actually have a topic with real rules.

For seconds, regardless of your frankly comical aversion to this solution, reacquaint yourselves with the permaban instead of letting the same handful of insufferable toxic posters run threads into the ground for years. Anything else is direct avoidance of the real problem. If a thread feels like Afghanistan you need to rethink your entire approach instead of finding new ways to flog yourselves and everyone else who desires worthwhile discussion spaces.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

This isn't necessarily what people mean when they say there's too much hyperbole, more just an amusing anecdote, but I remember somebody saying a few months back that "the ACA did nothing for 99.9999999% of Americans", which I did the math on and found that they were claiming the ACA had helped approximately one third of one person.

Someone also once tossed out a figure of how many times Republicans had "fooled" us with claims to decorum, and the random numberpad mashing came out to a figure that implied the Republicans had fooled us about 80 times a second since 1860.

Numeracy matters guys!

Or, people reading posts could understand the definition of the word hyperbole. Do you understand that "99.9999999%" is meant to be an exaggeration for effect and isn't meant to be taken literally?

This kind of semantic attack is one of the current worst things about D&D/USPol. Another quick example, I saw someone complain that the tweet date wasn't exactly the same when someone posted evidence of some cop bad behavior and in the post said "this happened today" rather than discuss the actual topic.

These kind of semantic deflections from engaging in the actual topic are a problem. You know what the other poster wants to talk about but you make it about a semantic mistake or a technicality or a typo and focus on that rather than actually discuss the issue at hand.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Another issue with ideological containment zones is eventually as someone already mentioned, either they go out searching for a fight and define themselves in opposition to some other thread or subforum, or they shift the overton window and start eating each other. I think if I remember right four years ago there was a lot more conservatives and libertarians on the forums and as they went extinct the vitriol has shifted leftwards.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Or, people reading posts could understand the definition of the word hyperbole. Do you understand that "99.9999999%" is meant to be an exaggeration for effect and isn't meant to be taken literally?

This kind of semantic attack is one of the current worst things about D&D/USPol. Another quick example, I saw someone complain that the tweet date wasn't exactly the same when someone posted evidence of some cop bad behavior and in the post said "this happened today" rather than discuss the actual topic.

These kind of semantic deflections from engaging in the actual topic are a problem. You know what the other poster wants to talk about but you make it about a semantic mistake or a technicality or a typo and focus on that rather than actually discuss the issue at hand.

The problem with this line is if everything you say is hyperbole or can be taken as such because it is outlandish then you really aren't saying anything worthwhile and there are several people that are repeat offenders of this.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
99.999999% of the time hyperbole is obvious

If it isn't you're doing it wrong and deserve to be drawn and quartered and the pieces dropped into separate volcanos

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WampaLord posted:

Yeah no this isn't a fyad or a fyad lite or even GBS and this is why we are trying to push effort met with effort. DND is place where people want to be able to discuss situations with nuance and verify facts and not have to worry about blatant misinfo being constantly posted. When a picture is taken or video was clipped can be absolutely crucial in determining context, and people consistently falling for false info and jumping to imagine the worst about their posting pals here on SA is a big part of what sucks when USPOL gets unreadable. Sometimes "gently caress the police" is perfectly fine enough effort for the facts at hand, but frankly what sets this place apart from other online discussion arenas is that people are generally expected to get the facts right first and not constantly get people riled up over misinformation explicitly designed to make you angry enough to share it.

e: Like the poo poo people keep getting angry about and reposting before verifying sources or facts are basically doing the same thing their dumbass boomer parents are doing on facebook when they post a support the troops meme that somebody made with Assad soldiers doing ethnic cleansing or whatever because they are too dumb to care.

e2: And to be 100% clear and make sure no one thinks I'm minimizing things, I'm absolutely furious at the terrible police response and all the associated events. I am simply trying to make the point that wanting to understand a more nuanced version of why something happened is not mutually exclusive with being angry about what happened and what continues to happen.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 7, 2021

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The ACA only enrolled .5% of the population, so 99.5% would have been the correct number. My God, what an exaggeration to make it seem a little bit bigger for rhetorical effect. You know, hyperbole. This isn't the same as right wing talking points.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

WampaLord posted:

The ACA only enrolled .5% of the population, so 99.5% would have been the correct number. My God, what an exaggeration to make it seem a little bit bigger for rhetorical effect. You know, hyperbole. This isn't the same as right wing talking points.

But the ACA had more benefits then just the people who got enrolled in the exchanges?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think if I remember right four years ago there was a lot more conservatives and libertarians on the forums and as they went extinct

Good.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

socialsecurity posted:

The problem with this line is if everything you say is hyperbole or can be taken as such because it is outlandish then you really aren't saying anything worthwhile and there are several people that are repeat offenders of this.

Or put another way, knowing the person doesn't mean what they said literally doesn't necessarily help you figure out what they really mean.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

socialsecurity posted:

I personally think the best answer to hyperbole is to be a flatfaced square making short sentences questioning the basis of the claim and bet that the mod/IK will find you more funny than them trying to tapdance out of their wild shitposting.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

WampaLord posted:

I had called out this post and it was not about semantics regarding the exact date. It was because it was taking an unverified random twitter account as "proof" without even looking into it.

Also, I've seen people lie about numbers (that weren't as obvious as 99.999999%) then claim it was hyperbole so :shrug:

E: Clarified that I wasn't the only one to call it out, thanks VVVVV

Kalit fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 7, 2021

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

"This happened today", and I if I recall correctly "today" was italicized or bolded for emphasis (but maybe I'm misremembering), is not hyperbole. The timing of the event was key to the rhetorical point being made, strongly implying the poster was naïve specifically because events contradicting them were happening contemporaneously with their statements. It was just loving wrong. I actually believe it was probably an honest mistake, but instead of owning that we get doubling down and this bullshit about "semantics". Really could have been solved by a "whoops I didn't see the date and made a mistake".

I'm really sick of people spreading bullshit and hyperbole, often weaponized to insult another poster, and then acting like it's some sort of pedantry when their called on material false claims and facts.

Hyperbole when overused is poo poo posting that does nothing constructive except mock and start slap-fights. It should be treated like other frowned upon posting styles in the past: it better be funny and/or add value. The way it's frequently used is to posit nuclear takes and act like the poster's position is obviously correct and anyone who disagrees is shitlib, bootlicks, whatever. It's a cornerstone of the posting style of some of the most toxic poo poo in this forum.

edit:

Kalit posted:

This was me and I wanted to say this was not about semantics regarding the exact date. I called it out because it was taking an unverified random twitter account as "proof" without even looking into it.

Also, I've seen people lie about numbers (that weren't as obvious as 99.999999%) then claim it was hyperbole so :shrug:

You weren't the only one that pointed it out

edit2: since a goon was motivated enough to actually look it up I wanted to note that it wasn't bold or italicized, it was the "literally" I was remembering as point of emphasis.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 7, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I posted the cop photo as evidence that they sided with Donald Trump supporters and the date was largely rhetorical because it was a picture of a cop siding with a Donald Trump supporter and they didn't magically switch sides at a given date. The photo was tweeted on a specific date, and I assumed it had been taken on that specific date.

Instead of arguing the merits of the photo as evidence, people latched onto the date because it helped them own their posting enemies.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
That's the kind of thing that is obvious without specific proof anyway. Sometimes demands for evidence are just another rhetorical attack

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I posted the cop photo as evidence that they sided with Donald Trump supporters and the date was largely rhetorical because it was a picture of a cop siding with a Donald Trump supporter and they didn't magically switch sides at a given date. The photo was tweeted on a specific date, and I assumed it had been taken on that specific date.

Instead of arguing the merits of the photo as evidence, people latched onto the date because it helped them own their posting enemies.

You admitting that you made an assumption about a tweet from a random twitter account is something that is bad. But please, keep going on about not caring how accurate the information you post is :allears:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
this is another example of valuing argumentation over discussion. "it doesn't matter that what i posted was inaccurate, it speaks to a general truth" regarding something that everyone in this forum agrees (cops are racist) except you can get attacked for not saying "cops are racist" at the right time, in the right way, or too infrequently

like who, exactly, needs convincing that cops are bad, in d&d. what is the merit of that argument, except for the speaker to release "i think cops are bad" into the world as a form of self expression

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gee, I wonder why USPol is so toxic!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

this is another example of valuing argumentation over discussion. "it doesn't matter that what i posted was inaccurate, it speaks to a general truth" regarding something that everyone in this forum agrees (cops are racist) except you can get attacked for not saying "cops are racist" at the right time, in the right way, or too infrequently

like who, exactly, needs convincing that cops are bad, in d&d. what is the merit of that argument, except for the speaker to release "i think cops are bad" into the world as a form of self expression

There were people in the thread arguing that the cops weren't siding with Trump. If you go to the F the police thread, there are still people who argue against defunding the police.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I said the point was rhetorical, what part of a point being rhetorical makes it wrong to point out it is based on a false claim?

This feels like complaining that people are letting the facts get in the way of your sick burns. Maybe if you paid more attention to substance of the point you were making instead of its rhetorical cleverness it would have been a better post.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
This is the post in question:

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I mean, this literally happened today:

https://twitter.com/Lexi_Caly/status/1345716483024949248

We live in a racist society, sure. But cops are a special kind of racist.
The inaccuracy of the tweet was called out by multiple posters. Among which:

Shitshow posted:

It was rainy, lovely, and cold in DC today. That pic is not from today.
IK Majorian stepped in to ask people to stop calling out the post:

Majorian posted:

Please address the meat of what's being argued, instead of this pedantic poo poo, TIA. Also Kalit, don't backseat mod.
Which was enforced in the very next post by IK the_steve:

Kalit posted:

Sorry, I won't offer advice on how people can stop posting lies in the future.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I think it's fair to say that the IKs active at the time thought posting misleading information in D&D wasn't as big of an issue as posters being too aggressive in calling out said misinformation.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
this same exact argument is happening right now in uspol, in a different form

people just don't want to discuss facts if those facts are inconvenient to narrative. they simply do not want to. all kinds of people do this, it is human nature. thats fine but it is very boring

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

My point overall is that you're not gonna solve the left/liberal divide in USPol with moderation but you can solve issues like "people focusing on a dumb technicality rather than discussing the underlying issue."

USPol is at its best when it is debating and discussing an actual issue, not semantics or technicalities that don't relate to the issue.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
"liar" seems like a pretty strong accusation there

It's fine to call out errors when people make then, but if we all agree on the broader issue I don't see why the need is felt to get in all these digs over relatively minor errors

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I guess what it comes down to is, what is USPol for? Hopping back to the health care thing, is it a thread to discuss what affect increasing Medicare reimbursement rates will have on access to health care for seniors, or is it a thread to be pissed off that there are people who don't have health care? Because if you want to talk about the one, I can see why'd you be annoyed by people talking about the other. And I think the thread could be either, but I think it suffers if it tries to be both.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
mostly its because someone being factually incorrect and refusing to cop to it is like catnip for combative goons, but also if i can just blatantly repost incorrect retweets from nobodies and then skate away on a cloud of "well it was rhetorical anyway, you get my drift, byeee" that is garbage tier discussion

Epicurius posted:

I guess what it comes down to is, what is USPol for? Hopping back to the health care thing, is it a thread to discuss what affect increasing Medicare reimbursement rates will have on access to health care for seniors, or is it a thread to be pissed off that there are people who don't have health care? Because if you want to talk about the one, I can see why'd you be annoyed by people talking about the other. And I think the thread could be either, but I think it suffers if it tries to be both.

it ends up being the latter, because that is far more low-effort to discuss and produces a higher emotional release, but it serves no utility for people who want to learn about healthcare instead of having a venting space

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 7, 2021

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

mostly its because someone being factually incorrect and refusing to cop to it is like catnip for combative goons, but also if i can just blatantly repost incorrect retweets from nobodies and then skate away on a cloud of "well it was rhetorical anyway, you get my drift, byeee" that is garbage tier discussion

it ends up being the latter, because that is far more low-effort to discuss and produces a higher emotional release, but it serves no utility for people who want to learn about healthcare instead of having a venting space

Can I also point out the ridiculousness of saying something "literally happened" and then complaining about how pedants are missing the point and it was just rhetorical when it's pointed out no it literally didn't.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jarmak posted:

Can I also point out the ridiculousness of saying something "literally happened" and then complaining about how pedants are missing the point and it was just rhetorical when it's pointed out no it literally didn't.

I mean it did, just not on the specified date.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Holy poo poo can we go one full page without slapfights over Democratic political figures.

*Monkey paw curls*

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

What is so difficult about "oh, woops. OK, my bad, but do you agree with my larger point?" Why is the instinct to be angrily defensive and want mods to intervene?

Admitting to a minor mistake right away pretty much ends it right there, and its not usually going to lead to a 3-page shaming dogpile.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Hmm. As a consequence of too many people doing low-content dumping on each other, many of them double posts, I'm going to turn slowmode on.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Epinephrine posted:

This is the post in question:

The inaccuracy of the tweet was called out by multiple posters. Among which:

IK Majorian stepped in to ask people to stop calling out the post:

Which was enforced in the very next post by IK the_steve:

I think it's fair to say that the IKs active at the time thought posting misleading information in D&D wasn't as big of an issue as posters being too aggressive in calling out said misinformation.

Majorian and the_steve bailing out their buddies and punishing their enemies, has anyone noticed this trend? Someone should probably tell a mod or admin about it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Why? It's good to have differing viewpoints on these forums. As long as they are willing to listen and debate in good faith. It's specifically not good, because it's led to a shrinking circular firing squad among left wing view points harping on the tiniest differences in order to justify exclusion.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

WampaLord posted:

I find that serious discussions go a lot more smoothly when people just come out and clearly state what they mean in the first place, rather than erecting a maze of hyperbole and sarcasm that readers have to puzzle through first to guess at what the poster is actually trying to say.

That's especially true for D&D with its long tradition of expecting people to be able to back up the specifics of their claims - which is obviously hard to do when people avoid making specific claims in the first place, and then post sources that don't really back up their claims and aren't explained. There's a tremendous amount of slapfighting that results from people just deliberately leaving important parts of their posts unsaid.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

I find that serious discussions go a lot more smoothly when people just come out and clearly state what they mean in the first place, rather than erecting a maze of hyperbole and sarcasm that readers have to puzzle through first to guess at what the poster is actually trying to say.

That's especially true for D&D with its long tradition of expecting people to be able to back up the specifics of their claims - which is obviously hard to do when people avoid making specific claims in the first place, and then post sources that don't really back up their claims and aren't explained. There's a tremendous amount of slapfighting that results from people just deliberately leaving important parts of their posts unsaid.

I don't think "99.99999%" is exactly a "maze of hyperbole and sarcasm" and the actual intent of the post is quite clear, they're saying the ACA helped a small portion of Americans. This is true and proven by data.

If people are having a hard time parsing the meaning of a post, why don't they just ask the poster to clarify instead of trying to "gotcha" them with owns and technicalities?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Raenir Salazar posted:

Why? It's good to have differing viewpoints on these forums. As long as they are willing to listen and debate in good faith.

I contend that Libertarianism is an inherently bad-faith ideology that has a chose-your-own-justification for whatever position they need to take on the day, until they get revealed that they really hate statutory law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gerund posted:

I contend that Libertarianism is an inherently bad-faith ideology that has a chose-your-own-justification for whatever position they need to take on the day, until they get revealed that they really hate statutory law.

This is true, as annoying as the current divide is I am glad the Libertarian days are behind us.