Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Blackhawk posted:

I still lol at all of these bullshit half-lockdowns other countries try to pass off as extreme. Compared to NZ where our full lockdown was literally no leaving your house except to buy essential goods (groceries, medicine and even then only one person from each household was allowed to shop at a time) and exercise within a few km radius of your house. You were even banned from driving for any reason other than buying essential goods. You weren't allowed to meet anybody you didn't live with, obviously no schools open, no shops other than the big supermarket chains open, no delivery of non-essential goods.

It was seriously eerie, like living in an apocalypse movie. You could walk right down the middle of major roads and never see a car, it was a great time to go cycling (although only within 5km and the police would pull you over to see if you were violating that). It was so quiet too, you don't realise the level of nearly sub-sonic noise from cars you're constantly exposed to until it's gone.

Any lockdown that involves shops being open beyond what is required to survive, people leaving their house to go to work or drive around or schools being open is doomed to fail. Just like anywhere that allows quarantine-free travel or doesn't test the people in quarantine multiple times before releasing them is inevitably getting re-infected.

Edit: I can't wait until the European and US petri-dishes cook up enough strains of the virus which are vaccine-resistant that we can literally never go back to normal, all for want of sane political and social systems.

the funniest thing is, the country where I live did 3 months of NZ-style lockdown and basically eradicated the virus. but it has now been sustaining avg 500 deaths per day since at least late october and no containment measures are possible except those useless bullshit half-measure lockdowns. just everyone shrugs 'we tried nothing and we're all out of ideas'
and yeah the funniest thing about this whole debacle here in the west is how since you can't make number sad we're gonna cook the next best possible strain to ensure this crisis drags on for half a decade

mortons stork has issued a correction as of 09:00 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

politicians who tend to go on about family values also tend to be those same politicians with several love children and a dead prostitute in their hotel room

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Blackhawk posted:

I still lol at all of these bullshit half-lockdowns other countries try to pass off as extreme. Compared to NZ where our full lockdown was literally no leaving your house except to buy essential goods (groceries, medicine and even then only one person from each household was allowed to shop at a time) and exercise within a few km radius of your house. You were even banned from driving for any reason other than buying essential goods. You weren't allowed to meet anybody you didn't live with, obviously no schools open, no shops other than the big supermarket chains open, no delivery of non-essential goods.

It was seriously eerie, like living in an apocalypse movie. You could walk right down the middle of major roads and never see a car, it was a great time to go cycling (although only within 5km and the police would pull you over to see if you were violating that). It was so quiet too, you don't realise the level of nearly sub-sonic noise from cars you're constantly exposed to until it's gone.

Any lockdown that involves shops being open beyond what is required to survive, people leaving their house to go to work or drive around or schools being open is doomed to fail. Just like anywhere that allows quarantine-free travel or doesn't test the people in quarantine multiple times before releasing them is inevitably getting re-infected.

Edit: I can't wait until the European and US petri-dishes cook up enough strains of the virus which are vaccine-resistant that we can literally never go back to normal, all for want of sane political and social systems.

Dude I've been banging my head against the wall since last summer for exactly this kind of lockdown. I'm also from Germany and while your and some other country had eradicated Corona, we are still, right now, arguing about whether open schools are spreading the virus. Not by how much, but if at all. And even if it was the case, politicians argue, the mental strain for the kids is just too much too risk any further closings.

My office at the same time has been trying their damndest to get people to come in as much as possible and is only relenting currently due to the current restrictions. Christmas was a huge cluster gently caress of restrictions that kept changing, but ended up with 5 people from two households (kids not counted, because they obviously are not living beings), which most people kinda just ignored. This led to a neighbor of my parents with 3 adult children inviting them over one after another, just not at the same time. Even my well educated, lockdown abiding friends went home for Christmas, because quote "well im not gonna let it control everything ".

I really wish we did it like nz, believe me.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Communist Thoughts posted:

Herd immunity will ultimately save us so our main concern is the economy

Do I know what strains are? Buddy I don't even know what immunity is

Thins out the smelly proles, kills off the NHS. No downsides there!

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

Private Speech posted:

The current lockdown in the UK is actually more strict than that, no visits at all, schools closed, no travel to exercise.

There is either a lag from christmas or the it's the new strain and there's no stopping it outside of banning all but essential work (right now it's just that non-essential work is encouraged to be from home).

You think schools are closed? They are in fact open, for the vulnerable and children of key workers. However, it turns out that when it’s up to the parents to judge whether they fall into these categories and they can’t be bothered to deal with their children at home - even when one or more is working from home anyway - that suddenly up to 70% of children fall into the above.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

gonadic io posted:

Brb legally ordering pizza to the office lunch then taking the packed tube home in my super harsh lockdown.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a teacher in Berlin and the senator for education here announced on Tuesday that schools would be reopened coming Monday for half the grades. then after 4 days of shitstorm she made a u-turn on Friday afternoon and announced that schools can make their own decision lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Man its like, why even teach science in schools if believing in science is like totally optional as an adult, wtf

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

Dude I've been banging my head against the wall since last summer for exactly this kind of lockdown. I'm also from Germany and while your and some other country had eradicated Corona, we are still, right now, arguing about whether open schools are spreading the virus. Not by how much, but if at all. And even if it was the case, politicians argue, the mental strain for the kids is just too much too risk any further closings.

My office at the same time has been trying their damndest to get people to come in as much as possible and is only relenting currently due to the current restrictions. Christmas was a huge cluster gently caress of restrictions that kept changing, but ended up with 5 people from two households (kids not counted, because they obviously are not living beings), which most people kinda just ignored. This led to a neighbor of my parents with 3 adult children inviting them over one after another, just not at the same time. Even my well educated, lockdown abiding friends went home for Christmas, because quote "well im not gonna let it control everything ".

I really wish we did it like nz, believe me.

That's the thing you cannot trust businesses (including schools/universities because they typically also have a profit motive) to do the right thing by people if it means even the most minor impact on their bottom line. The only reason my company over here didn't insist on everyone going to work was because it was illegal, as soon as the level of lockdown reduced from maximum they insisted that everyone had to come back in even if you were capable of working remotely, companies fear losing control over their serfs.

I think if the national party (conservative) had been in power during COVID then they never would have locked down adequately and we'd have a lot more dead people and the virus still running around the country. In fact we had an election just recently and even a lot of people who typically vote conservative replied to polling saying they thought that the conservative party would have handled the pandemic worse. I think a lot of people understand that businesses and 'the economy' fundamentally don't value life or the environment, but lots of people still vote for them because they value getting richer.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blackhawk posted:

That's the thing you cannot trust businesses (including schools/universities because they typically also have a profit motive)

in normal countries schools don't have a profit motive op

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Blackhawk posted:

In Northern Ireland we did lockdown pretty well. By mid-summer we were down to single-figure daily new cases. At one point we were reporting zero new cases per day. People took personal responsibility and locked down harder than the government requirements, which were similar to the ones you mentioned. We came so close, but instead of just sticking it out for a few more weeks the local government decided to follow Westminster's lead and began an "open 'er up" programme, along with some high-profile political figures being caught flouting restrictions and attending illegal mass gatherings.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOD0XCm57d8

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Jel Shaker posted:

politicians who tend to go on about family values also tend to be those same politicians with several love children and a dead prostitute in their hotel room

The truest thing Hillary Clinton ever said was "it takes a village to raise a child", the American conception of the atomised nuclear family being somehow natural is a wierd fake propaganda idea, for most of human history kids were raised by a wider collective than the immediate family.

"Family values" was always a sociopolitical lie it's not a surprise that people who know it's a lie have less respect for it than the mean.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

whos got the trout hookup

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Labour used to be the party of labour but that didnt work so good so they're rebranding

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
introducing labr2.0: we're for families

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Rebranding the Labour Party to the Birth Party.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Reality Protester posted:

Labour used to be the party of labour but that didnt work so good so they're rebranding

listen the UK has proud history of putting the whole family to labour and that's just the kind of out of the box thinking we're gonna need in today's economy.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the west wing and assorted american politics have infected u.k. liberals to such an extent that they want to create a democrat party

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are probably more than enough completely useless liberal politicians in any country to recreate the democrats. usually they are more spread out, though.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

the west wing and assorted american politics have infected u.k. liberals to such an extent that they want to create a democrat party

im remembering the change uk party

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
neolabour charging as far right as possible telling leftists: what are you going to do throw your vote away? Sure sounds a lot like the US dems to me.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
Look at this prick
https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1348296740655521795

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
How long until China helicopter drops food and medical aid?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
UNICEF are already doing that

Unrelated:
https://twitter.com/DuncanGolestani/status/1348221278004637705?s=20

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

gonadic io posted:

UNICEF are already doing that

🤣 man things are going great

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Mr Hootington posted:

🤣 man things are going great

Well I mean they're not doing it by helicopter but yeah UNICEF are providing aid for families in food poverty in London and the Jacob Fess-Mogg said they should be, quote, ashamed for doing so

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/16/unicef-feed-hungry-children-uk-first-time-history

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/rees-mogg-unicef-ashamed-playing-130241187.html

It was a big deal for almost all of a 24h news cycle!

gonadic io has issued a correction as of 16:32 on Jan 11, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

gonadic io posted:

neolabour charging as far right as possible telling leftists: what are you going to do throw your vote away? Sure sounds a lot like the US dems to me.

hey it loving worked in america

same as the UK i guess, they successfully killed the left for now but havent done anything about the enormous growing numbers of fascists and everything is just getting worse and worse

i suppose a main difference is for now the UK tories have absorbed the fascists much more succesfully than the republicans have

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i spose thats what farage's party is about, is that now that the left is destroyed for 10 years or so its time for the right to get back to infighting about fascism vs libertarianism

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

can't practice graphic design because the workshops are closed

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Dems lost to trump once and nearly twice, because he was he said he cared about poor people (even if it was obviously bullshit) and they were all "claim back $500 of business tax of a 2 year established business in disadvantaged areas" as their way to help the poor.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gonadic io posted:

Dems lost to trump once and nearly twice, because he was he said he cared about poor people (even if it was obviously bullshit) and they were all "claim back $500 of business tax of a 2 year established business in disadvantaged areas" as their way to help the poor.

Trump didn't get any more low-income voters than Romney. They mainly went to Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson(!) or simply failed to vote, and we genuinely don't know whether the three million no-shows were due to apathy or unprecedented Republican voter suppression. It was middle and high-income voters who closed the gap for Trump (and even then, Clinton got more of those than Obama - it just wasn't enough to make up for the low-income voters who disappeared or went libertarian).

Fascism is a middle-class reaction to a perceived loss of status to a rising underclass. Never forget this.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

hey it loving worked in america

same as the UK i guess, they successfully killed the left for now but havent done anything about the enormous growing numbers of fascists and everything is just getting worse and worse

i suppose a main difference is for now the UK tories have absorbed the fascists much more succesfully than the republicans have

Eh, as far as I can see the only real difference is that they successfully turned the Brexit party off once they didn't need it anymore while Trump is a whine bitch over the realization that he was just hired help. I guess it's possible that Bojo won't go quietly once the Tories decide they need someone with clean hands to continue shoveling the poo poo.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

johnson knows the rules, he's an actual aristocrat. he'll go reasonably quietly when the time comes, and end up in some extremely lucrative sinecure afterwards

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Darth Walrus posted:

Trump didn't get any more low-income voters than Romney. They mainly went to Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson(!) or simply failed to vote, and we genuinely don't know whether the three million no-shows were due to apathy or unprecedented Republican voter suppression. It was middle and high-income voters who closed the gap for Trump (and even then, Clinton got more of those than Obama - it just wasn't enough to make up for the low-income voters who disappeared or went libertarian).

Fascism is a middle-class reaction to a perceived loss of status to a rising underclass. Never forget this.

You're right. I still believe that a good portion of those 3 mil could have been captured by a party that better represented their interests but as you say trump did not get them voting for him either.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

V. Illych L. posted:

johnson knows the rules, he's an actual aristocrat. he'll go reasonably quietly when the time comes, and end up in some extremely lucrative sinecure afterwards
and come back in the 30s with d6 new kids

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Darth Walrus posted:

given that the american underclass is in the process of being ground into pulp and pounded flat, i wonder how this will affect the spread of fascism going forward

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

yeah when i say fascists i dont mean bojo, bojo is the libertarian wing. there used to be a sorta patrician wing who were just as nasty but also thought MPs did actually have some responsibility for public welfare, they dont exist anymore and both the fascists and libertarians beleive that public welfare is basically doing violence to people

i mean the huge numbers of radicalised right wingers and other people just swept up alongside by the media into thinking SJWs are turning the nation into a soviet gulag hellscape that will kill everyone.

thats pretty much one of only two mainstream accepted political positions along with neoliberalism, and is becoming the default.
i see it pop up among basically anyone who "doesnt pay much attention" to politics

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

similarly to how we're just doing brexit with no planning and hoping we dont starve,
or not bothering locking down and just hoping covid goes away,
the british government and press has been poisoning the minds of normies to an ever escalating degree and we're just assuming that nothing too bad will come of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/OwenAdamsYT1/status/1348256421331275776

brexit prevails

edit: "Welcome to Brexit, sir. Sorry" lol

barbecue at the folks has issued a correction as of 20:12 on Jan 11, 2021