Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Trump will spend tonight bragging. He'll have tons of numbers that his followers won't give a gently caress about. There won't be a call to violence or insurrection. He'll blame the Capitol riots on antifa, talk about the huge crowd size, and leave people in a cold dark soy field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Don't vote for what our party believes in, vote for what your conscience might demand

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Looks like the Parler data scraping was legal and the site is incredibly poorly built.

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1348730590074294272?s=19

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

Looks like the Parler data scraping was legal and the site is incredibly poorly built.

That's literally the method that got weev put in jail. So anything is possible

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I had, understandably, completely forgotten about the Kevin Spacey cameo in there. Talk about a poorly aged video.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

they don't need to whip because they're already going to vote no, right?

No.

There are going to be a substantial number of yes votes.

Well substantial for where we are at this moment in american politics.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Most House Republicans will vote against impeachment. But with that message coming from the House Republican leaders, it sounds like some will vote for impeachment: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/533720-republicans-gauge-support-for-trump-impeachment

quote:

“Congressman Kinzinger is committed to doing what is right, no matter the political cost. What President Trump did last week was incite violence and encourage a mob to attack the United States Capitol. Clearly, the President violated his oath of office and is unfit to serve," the spokesman said in a statement.
“When it comes to impeachment, it’s something we’re strongly considering at this point. … What we saw on Wednesday left the president unfit for office,” Meijer told WXMI, the Fox affiliate in Grand Rapids.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Jokes on them, Republicans don't have a conscience.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

That's my impression. Let everyone in purple territory vote for impeachment to save themselves, but otherwise let the deep red district crazies stick to their principles.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

That's my impression. Let everyone in purple territory vote for impeachment to save themselves, but otherwise let the deep red district crazies stick to their principles.

Yeah, it's a tacit acknowledgment that reps in unsafe districts have the go-head to abandon the sinking ship.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

cr0y posted:

Cutting off ties is one thing but I'd really like to see "Banks plan on surgical removal of trump from his assets"

Yeah, this seems rather vague on what "cutting ties" amiunts to. Will they actually start demandinf payment of past loans now? Or just making him go to a less-known subsidiary to get his eternal credit line?

It has been a bit disconcerting that we no longer have big scandals like Enron anymore, even with colossal fraud and grift. Mostly because there is always a bank or megaplex that will step in with enough money to make it whole, in order to avoid triggering a crisis that wull hurt everyone's stock prices.

It was the case with WeWork. Trendy modern company despite basically just being a real-estate rental scheme with an online soin and a kooky CEO that could pass as one of those wiz-kids innovators that Forbes needs on their cover. Brutally dubious cashflow even before the pandemic hit, but hey, Amazon took forever to turn a profit, gotta secure the monopoly then everything will work out! Then caught on mountains of bullshit practices and the CEO trademarking the word 'we' to sell it back to the company.... and their cash cow just buys the company to avoid being seen as easy marks, while giving the barefoot loon a golden parachute to the tune of hundreds of millions.

That suggests that no single big crash can threaten the financial hegemony anymore. It'd have to be something so massive as to wipe out the big banks themselves...and in that case, they are 100% assured to be saved by the government.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Years ago a company I worked for got Las Vegas Sands as a client. Found out about Addelson right away and kept hemming and hawing about whether I should stick to my convictions and refuse to work on it, potentially getting fired if I did. Ultimately I caved and spent a few months working with them. The project was mismanaged and in the end the product was never built. But even though I caved that time, it helped me have more integrity about the social impact of my work moving forward. So in his own small way he helped me be a better lefty.

Anyway, glad I wasted some small fraction of your money you dead gently caress.

Not really a direct comparison, but my father and I stayed in the Trump hotel in Vegas on a trip about a decade ago and while it was already the cheapest hotel to stay at on the strip, we got a Hotels.com deal on it so it was like barely like $80 for the whole stay. So I like to take measure of solace in idea that I got to rip Trump off by staying in his lovely piss tower with a view overlooking a literal side street LIVE NUDES! strip club.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

“Vote your conscience” is code for “do whatever you think will save your rear end in your next election.”

The Democrats have the majority and are unified on this. Trump is absolutely going to be impeached. There’s no benefit to party unity here, and reps from different areas are going to see different ways to weasel out of this whole situation.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My read of this is they didn't bother giving individual posts a hashed or obfuscated unique ID, like a UUID. They just used integers.

So in other words there's an API you can hit which in a sane service would be like

code:
https: //www.site.com/api/posts/9c388acb-bb57-4879-97ee-fc22db49efa2/
https: //www.site.com/api/posts/50f6bece-2d2a-40c8-8a88-7c26b7b04ea1/
https: //www.site.com/api/posts/9d0b62eb-c7eb-48f1-b602-1e6fd8807bd4/
Random hashes that would take thousands of years to guess. And you wouldn't know any post's UUID unless it was given to you by the system itself. But their system is like

code:
https: //www.site.com/api/posts/1/
https: //www.site.com/api/posts/2/
https: //www.site.com/api/posts/3/
So you can just write a script to pull every post, just incrementing the number.

Absolute amateur hour poo poo for any site trying to be public facing and have any control over access to content

e: to be fair, this is also what Something Awful does if you look at the postids and threadids :v: But SA (like any real site) also has other features that mark hidden threads and prevent them from being read even if you access them directly.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 12, 2021

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

evilweasel posted:

satan calls another devil back to the fold

As a card carrying Satanist, let me just say: gently caress you, quit trying to pin these assholes on us, they were never with us :colbert:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

It's a win win.

If nearly all Reps vote against impeachment, it will demonstrate the party is unified even without mandatory disciplining
If more Reps vote for impeachment than expected, it will demonstrate that the GOP isn't a tyrannical death cult and the dissenters will be quietly dealt with later on.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Is there actually an official time for the Alamo thing? Yahoo's stream seems to think it's @ 1pm.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.vice.com/en/article/z4mn4x/weev-is-in-jail-because-the-government-doesnt-know-what-hacking-is

Noted edgelord and white nationalist Weev got convinced of computer fraud crimes for basically doing exactly the same thing.

Edit: I used Vice’s story because I agree that while Weev is nazi gently caress he shouldn’t have been charged with fraud.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

JehovahsWetness posted:

Is there actually an official time for the Alamo thing? Yahoo's stream seems to think it's @ 1pm.

Hey better get on Air Force One quick because uhhh:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1349012040657072135

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Fox and Friends this morning is really trying run hard with this, but it is a very weak hand.

They just keep repeating "Everyone is trying to ruin Josh Hawley, Kevin McCarthy, and Ted Cruz's life for 'not taking the Capito incident seriously' but this lady just used it as a prop in a political attack! I guess they really don't care except to use it as a weapon."

"She says there was no integrity, dishonesty, and a "disaster" under the Surgeon General and CDC, but our Surgeon General is A TROOP! Why does she say that about a distinguished troop? Where is the unity?"

Next it will be how we really shouldn't politicize this attack in the US Capitol something something both sides.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes, he's expected to give a speech about "promises kept" on building the wall and his administration's accomplishments.

Well the very first words he uttered as president were "this American carnage stops right here and right now" so I can think of one of promise he didn't keep.

bowser posted:

I think this is likely, but there's also a chance he gives a relatively boring speech (I mean, any Trump speech is sure to be rambling and insane but, normal by his standards) while vaguely talking about the need for unity and healing. I hope the media isn't stupid enough say that it's a new tone for Trump or that he's finally become President or whatever, but I'm doubtful.

You're way more optimistic than I am. Trump has gone almost 6 days edging and without beating off about how he's everyone's favorite president, fake news rigged election or receiving a single accolade about how great he is and he's going to put on a loving show and absolutely explode. Look at these tweet rates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_on_social_media#Rate_of_tweets

That's the pattern of an addict and he badly needs his fix right now, especially knowing he's only got a week and more or less nothing to lose at this stage.

I mean sure, some of it will be lazy and meandering but that's all of his speeches. He'll keep going until he gets the "USA USA USA", LOCK _________ UP" and "STOP THE STEAL" chants he so desperately craves and I guarantee he will say something inflammatory and inciting.

It's all he has left - angry armed rednecks - but they're ALL IN and now we're into the second tier where the Dry Powder Saving the Country Brigade gets their shot. "Next man up" as they say in sports.

Watch some of that footage from 1/6/21 again and take a look how many times they invoke god, recite the lord's prayer, say the pledge of allegiance, sing the star bangled banner and cite one Christ, Jesus H. They think they're on a mission from god, there's a LOT of them and many are in the police force, the military and in the halls of congress.

9/11 and any other number of god inspired terrorist attacks should show us what just a few angry, motivated, armed religious zealots can really accomplish. Anyone showing up for this is scared, armed and angry (a dangerous combination) and really considers themselves a citizen of a Christian nation that is in the midst of being attacked and stolen by Communist pedophiles.

I'm not going to hand wave away or make jokes about any of the poo poo I'm seeing and reading (not saying you are)

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Space Gopher posted:

“Vote your conscience” is code for “do whatever you think will save your rear end in your next election.”

The Democrats have the majority and are unified on this. Trump is absolutely going to be impeached. There’s no benefit to party unity here, and reps from different areas are going to see different ways to weasel out of this whole situation.
It does indicate a general decision by Republican congressional leaders that trying to shield Trump isn't worthwhile.

It's not a huge deal, but 'ensuring the impeachment doesn't have a supermajority bipartisan vote' is a pretty low bar to achieve and helps a lot Trump from a messaging perspective, so it seems telling. I still doubt the Senate convicts at this point unless Trump keeps starting poo poo.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/z4mn4x/weev-is-in-jail-because-the-government-doesnt-know-what-hacking-is

Noted edgelord and white nationalist Weev got convinced of computer fraud crimes for basically doing exactly the same thing.

Edit: I used Vice’s story because I agree that while Weev is nazi gently caress he shouldn’t have been charged with fraud.

Anti-hacking laws are weird, but this is not outlandish. The law doesn't care how good of a job you do at securing your system, it only cares about whether someone intentionally bypasses whatever measures you have in place. It's kind of stupid from a technical level, but it at least makes things very clear from a legal standpoint.

A site using an encryption method that is known to be easily breakable does not cancel the criminality of breaking that encryption. What matters is the intent. This is just that principle taken to its extreme, and I, personally, do not trust the legal system to make decisions based on technical considerations like strength of encryption, or what constitutes encryption at all.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Drone posted:

Hey better get on Air Force One quick because uhhh:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1349012040657072135

No biggie, around 5-4ish hours is more than enough time to get on a plane, Fly across the country, get off the plane, make sure security is good, and get to some border town in texas to give a speech on time as usual.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rinkles posted:

i see they at least got zip tie guy

Both of them! There's were two guys with zip ties attempting to execute members of congress.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

If Elias is calling for records to be retained then there is definitely something to this.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ahaha just like the Ukraine phone call.

https://twitter.com/deitaone/status/1349015823973838850?s=21

Weird how these appropriate things keep getting impeached.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Aramis posted:

Anti-hacking laws are weird, but this is not outlandish. The law doesn't care how good of a job you do at securing your system, it only cares about whether someone intentionally bypasses whatever measures you have in place. It's kind of stupid from a technical level, but it at least makes things very clear from a legal standpoint.

A site using an encryption method that is known to be easily breakable does not cancel the criminality of breaking that encryption. What matters is the intent. This is just that principle taken to its extreme, and I, personally, do not trust the legal system to make decisions based on technical considerations like strength of encryption, or what constitutes encryption at all.

This would make such a fun derail but I’ll avoid kicking off a debate. Your position is interesting and I’d love to argue through it and see what shakes out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Republicans are all whiny loving babies who need their diapers changed.

https://twitter.com/jessemckinley/status/1349016458399985664?s=20
https://twitter.com/EliseStefanik/status/1349010639457550337?s=20

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Aramis posted:

i think i agree. it doesn't matter that it was poorly protected (or unprotected), if it was obvious that it was sensitive information that you shouldn't have access to. no problem if you accidentally do it once, but a different matter if systematically exploit the oversight.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/OKnox/status/1349011712876425216

lol

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1349018177624289282?s=21

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

It's code for "Trying to organize support for Trump will look really bad, so ... do what you gotta do".

Gohmert, Jordan, Nunes, etc. will still vote to save Trump, but they're relying on a deep red chud base. You'll probably see a lot of 'present' or declining to vote.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He just cannot help himself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So that is just another threat

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I keep forgetting they had Promises Made Promises Kept signage for some event maybe a week after he took office.

His whole loving life has been on Easy Mode and he can't help but just pat himself on the head like a Good Boy™ at all times.

It's loving pathetic.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Aramis posted:

Right. It's sort of the same principle that, just because I forget to lock my front door, you don't have permission to break into my house.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"I Want Nothing, I Want Nothing"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This is dumb The military loving hates Trump, and that hatred escalates the higher the rank. If there's one thing the military absolutely drills into every single one of its soldiers, it's respect for the chain of command. For there to be an actual mutiny of the National Guard, you need high-ranking officers to be in on it. But they loving hate Trump.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...vote-for-biden/

I'd take this with a grain of salt. It's from August, Trump hadn't launched a coup yet.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

That's some solid dog whistling by the traitor in chief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Holy poo poo

I did not expect that...is this...the mattering?