Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

so i'm guessing someone's chum realised that this was an excellent opportunity to skim some money without it impacting any *real* people and it got a bit out of hand

and to discredit the idea of nationwide food assistance outside of its current scope. if people start asking about nationalized lunches for kids or improving subsidized food assistance, this is the moment that will be pointed to. they will point to the half a tomato in a plastic bag and say "you expect the people that hosed that up so badly to build us a competent system?" while beating themselves in the dick with a hammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

how does school food in the UK work? my US schools had breakfast and lunch but it was fairly overpriced, maybe $3 for breakfast and $4.50 for lunch, 20 years ago. you could get reduced cost with low family income hut it was public and there was a stigma, and they had a free option of a PBJ

one of the first things I started doing with the money from my first job was eating real lunches at school

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

VileLL posted:

truly insane how much better you could make the country by bombing eton

get rid of eton and harvard and you fix most of the english speaking world

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
don't forget the parliament, there's plenty of moldy jam there

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

hey, there's a name I recognize. chartwells handled the food contracting and supply at my university in the US and they were absolute fuckers who massively overcharged for everything and served rotten food to boot. they were affectionately known as barfwells, shartwells, etc. by the students aka the poor fuckers that had to eat that slop or starve. thanks for the massive 'meal plan' bills and the frequent food poisoning, you absolute fuckers!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

i say swears online posted:

how does school food in the UK work? my US schools had breakfast and lunch but it was fairly overpriced, maybe $3 for breakfast and $4.50 for lunch, 20 years ago. you could get reduced cost with low family income hut it was public and there was a stigma, and they had a free option of a PBJ

one of the first things I started doing with the money from my first job was eating real lunches at school

Usually it's the parents who pay, but for households on low income (and I do mean low income, £7400 per year for the entire household) they get it for free. Or now the terrible packages I guess.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Shear Modulus posted:

get rid of eton and harvard and you fix most of the english speaking world

Yale surely?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Private Speech posted:

Usually it's the parents who pay, but for households on low income (and I do mean low income, £7400 per year for the entire household) they get it for free. Or now the terrible packages I guess.

:chloe: honestly how the gently caress to people put up with this

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
like that is 600 pounds per month. to compare: unemployment in the netherlands for instance is more than 1000 euros per month.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

gonadic io posted:

neolabour charging as far right as possible telling leftists: what are you going to do throw your vote away? Sure sounds a lot like the US dems to me.

tbh at least this is a tacit acceptance they've lost Scotland, or at least I hope it is

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

oliwan posted:

like that is 600 pounds per month. to compare: unemployment in the netherlands for instance is more than 1000 euros per month.

505 euro + reasonable rent here.

And that's last-case unemployment, not the regular unemployment system.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

oliwan posted:

jobseekers is £3,866 and 20 pence a year if you're over 25. It's less if you're younger, about £3k. Also if they decide they've overpaid you, or you miss the mandatory employment trainings or regular checkins, your entitlement is £0 until they're satisfied.

The one thing that still confuses me, as a leftist, is that people look at the deliberately byzantine system around this birdfeed and it forces their brains to forget that an entire political party, and nearly everyone who can survive more than 3 months at the DWP without becoming a suicidal alcoholic, do this to them on purpose. It's just ineffable, completely unrelated to the people on tv telling them about scroungers.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

also you left out workfare

I mean you could file that under "training" buuut, uh, not sure how stacking shelves in tesco helps with anyones career

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spangly A posted:

jobseekers is £3,866 and 20 pence a year if you're over 25. It's less if you're younger, about £3k. Also if they decide they've overpaid you, or you miss the mandatory employment trainings or regular checkins, your entitlement is £0 until they're satisfied.

The one thing that still confuses me, as a leftist, is that people look at the deliberately byzantine system around this birdfeed and it forces their brains to forget that an entire political party, and nearly everyone who can survive more than 3 months at the DWP without becoming a suicidal alcoholic, do this to them on purpose. It's just ineffable, completely unrelated to the people on tv telling them about scroungers.

I just "crack pinged".

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

oliwan posted:

I just "crack pinged".

4.9% of the workforce currently live on that, according to the ONS.

The ONS do not count anyone who has not applied for a job in the last four weeks, and they do not count anyone on Universal Credit, which is worse.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

oliwan posted:

I just "crack pinged".

I crackpinged years and years ago, and ever since then I've looked like a loon describing to people what they're doing and being told that sounds stupid.

And even I had a hard time believing the whole "it's not the government's responsibility to make sure children get food".

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

I crackpinged years and years ago, and ever since then I've looked like a loon describing to people what they're doing and being told that sounds stupid.

And even I had a hard time believing the whole "it's not the government's responsibility to make sure children get food".

if those children wanted to not starve they should have been birthed by richer, whiter parents. personal responsibility, for gods sake.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spangly A posted:

4.9% of the workforce currently live on that, according to the ONS.

The ONS do not count anyone who has not applied for a job in the last four weeks, and they do not count anyone on Universal Credit, which is worse.

so how are you supposed to live / pay rent on that money? let alone pay for education etc?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

oliwan posted:

so how are you supposed to live / pay rent on that money? let alone pay for education etc?

you're not supposed to. the politicians say that the intention is to make it unlivable so that people stop being lazy and get a job

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

oliwan posted:

you do get subsidized rent, so it's barely doable

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

How's Brexit going?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shear Modulus posted:

you're not supposed to. the politicians say that the intention is to make it unlivable so that people stop being lazy and get a job

Including saying this to disabled people.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raccooon posted:

How's Brexit going?

as it turns out, they did not have plenty of food

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Raccooon posted:

How's Brexit going?

very well, thank you

news today is queens cousin just tried to rape a young vulnerable woman in queens childhood quarters

BBC posted:

He repeatedly assaulted the 26-year-old victim and tried to pull off her nightdress during the 20-minute attack.

Outside court, Bowes-Lyon said he was "greatly ashamed" of his actions.

He added: "Clearly I had drunk to excess on the night of the incident. I should have known better. I recognise, in any event, that alcohol is no excuse for my behaviour.

"I did not think I was capable of behaving the way I did but have had to face up to it and take responsibility.

"My apologies go, above all, to the woman concerned, but I would also like to apologise to family, friends and colleagues for the distress I have caused them."

oh you've apologised, that's alright then

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 22:06 on Jan 13, 2021

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Private Speech posted:

very well, thank you

news today is queens cousin just tried to rape a young vulnerable woman in queens childhood quarters

Gotta keep that bloodline going

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

oliwan posted:

You don't. That's the basis for the economic murder paper, that tens of thousands a year die like this.

Rent was a seperate benefit and, rent being so high, meant the combined benefit incomes were a lot closer to the figures you gave. It was rolled into universal credit and the money allocated for it dropped.

Private Speech posted:

Rent being a part of UC means that if you get a job you have to tell them immediately and live on £0 until the 6 week adjustment period is over, no? that's what happened to my sister, thankfully my parents could float her for the 6 weeks. They couldn't really afford to but their mortgage is paid off, so my mum quietly went hungry for a week at the end.

Spangly A has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Jan 13, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Private Speech posted:

It does seem that generally people are worse off with UC though even despite the waiting period since old JSA/Housing benefits were generally higher?

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Jan 13, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ardennes posted:

It does seem that generally people are worse off with UC though even despite the waiting period since old JSA/Housing benefits were generally higher?

Yes. That's completely the case. Also on JSA you were expected to job search a few times a week & apply to things & you'd go to the Jobcentre & say "here is what I did to look for work". Where as on UC (& I was in one of the first areas that got it rolled out as a "trial") you are expected to do 35 hours a week doing poo poo that counts towards looking for a job. Which I'll be honest with you goons, I have never done. I don't think it's possible. There's only so many times in a year you can "rework your CV" or wander around town handing in CVs to shops that tell you "nah, you'd need to fill in an application on the internet because it's the 21st century" "yeah mate I know, Jobcentre, innit?" or even just search online. That's 5 hours a day, 7 days a week, it's loving absurd. The staff know it, because they are like "just include the time you spend on the bus to & from here" but the expectation is you still have to at least appear to jump through the hoops. It's utterly loving useless & entirely designed around being cruel & dehumanising.

There was definitely a point when I was on UC not long after it had rolled out that I was so just ground down & miserable & beaten that I was looking at buying a ticket to London on the train, travelling 12 hours, hanging outside the DWP in the hope of seeing IDS who was Secretary of State at that point & doing serious bodily harm to either him or myself. Fortunately it didn't come to that but Christ the whole process literally made me want to die so badly that despite not working I decided I'd rather just not get UC because it wasn't worth the stress & anger for the paltry sum they pay you. I was fortunate because I had a tiny amount of savings I could live on, & had moved back in with my parents but gently caress. For all the horrible things in this country I think the fact the Tories got back in after introducing that cruel clusterfuck of a system. gently caress, they won in 2015, 2017 & 2019. It's grim. This country is bleak. The only possible positive to come out of COVID would be that the economy getting so bad that even more people need to go on UC that they finally understand how miserable it is.

Oh, the other good thing with UC is it pays you monthly, JSA was fortnightly. Doesn't sound like a big thing at first but what it means is that when you first go on UC you've got a 4-7 week wait for your first payment, which isn't exactly ideal. So they give you a loan, that of course has to be paid back from your pitifully small monthly allowance, making it even less easy to live off. Great system, great country.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Private Speech posted:

very well, thank you

oh you've apologised, that's alright then

drat with epstein gone the royal family is getting a lot sloppier

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Raccooon posted:

How's Brexit going?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

For all the horrible things in this country I think the fact the Tories got back in after introducing that cruel clusterfuck of a system. gently caress, they won in 2015, 2017 & 2019. It's grim. This country is bleak. The only possible positive to come out of COVID would be that the economy getting so bad that even more people need to go on UC that they finally understand how miserable it is.

Oh, the other good thing with UC is it pays you monthly, JSA was fortnightly. Doesn't sound like a big thing at first but what it means is that when you first go on UC you've got a 4-7 week wait for your first payment, which isn't exactly ideal. So they give you a loan, that of course has to be paid back from your pitifully small monthly allowance, making it even less easy to live off. Great system, great country.

Also, I wonder if it may simply get worse with Brexit. With the pound still weak and generally more redtape for imports, it will probably have a long-term inflationary effect on the prices of food/basic items which is only going to squeeze people further.

Now Labour has come on in and basically said there won't be any respite, which means the current system is locked in place. Honestly, I think the only solution is to maximize devolution as much as possible. Westminister is fundamentally broken and the only real hope is if devolved regions could at least protect their local populations a bit better.

Scotland unlike England is giving families direct payments rather than 1/4 of a carrot.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

UC reality

commentor who believes all the rubbish they read in the Express posted:

But why didn't you mention the 55" plasma screen tv, Sky subscription and latest iphone you also get immediately you register for UC?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Also, I wonder if it may simply get worse with Brexit. With the pound still weak and generally more redtape for imports, it will probably have a long-term inflationary effect on the prices of food/basic items which is only going to squeeze people further.

This has been happening for a solid year and it's already having a huge impact, it's just that the papers have decided it's Covid's fault that the UK doesn't have frictionless trade/import or a strong currency

Obamaphones and invading switzerland are the two things that the last american liberal deserves any credit for. How you going to find a job without a smartphone? not even "a phone" or a mobile, you're going to be using email a lot of the time. On top of that, what employer wants to hire somebody they can't grab to come to work on an hours notice? A smartphone means they think you have no excuse.

Spangly A has issued a correction as of 23:29 on Jan 13, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Spangly A posted:

This has been happening for a solid year and it's already having a huge impact, it's just that the papers have decided it's Covid's fault that the UK doesn't have frictionless trade/import or a strong currency

Obamaphones and invading switzerland are the two things that the last american liberal deserves any credit for. How you going to find a job without a smartphone? not even "a phone" or a mobile, you're going to be using email a lot of the time. On top of that, what employer wants to hire somebody they can't grab to come to work on an hours notice? A smartphone means they think you have no excuse.

Which penalizes those who have no mobile phone signal as in lots of the villages and hamlets round my way. (eg my mum has no mobile phone signal for a 2-3 mile radius around her house.)

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

I was a UC triallist myself and this reflects my experience with UC near exactly. I did at one point get a decent work coach but aside from that my experience with it was miserable, and at one point I surrendered my claim because I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. 35 hours a week job search activity was insane and I wound up sanctioned because I just couldn't keep it up. Now after doing some UC work at the CAB I hate it even more. Just a disaster of a benefit system.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

BurningCourage posted:

I was a UC triallist myself and this reflects my experience with UC near exactly. I did at one point get a decent work coach but aside from that my experience with it was miserable, and at one point I surrendered my claim because I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. 35 hours a week job search activity was insane and I wound up sanctioned because I just couldn't keep it up. Now after doing some UC work at the CAB I hate it even more. Just a disaster of a benefit system.

It's not a disaster if you want the poor either working or dead, no matter if work is available or how much they are capable of working.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Could we maybe get these guys to switch places?

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1349341935199285248?s=20

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

BORIS

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

It's not a disaster if you want the poor either working or dead, no matter if work is available or how much they are capable of working.

Also any good capitalist knows that full employment is a disaster because it gives labour too much power, you need to have at least a certain percentage of the population unemployed so that employers have a blade to dangle over your neck. It works even better if unemployment benefits are a lethal joke because the misery of the unemployed is an even better warning for those thinking about asking for more pay or better conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah if you have a makework program that pays median income that'd put insane pressure on base wages, even better if the makework program had teeth like providing essential services so they could still have good pay and bargaining power