Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Yeah, don't mind, and even really enjoy tinkering and piddling around! I just worry about getting in over my head, since this is my first bike. So far I've managed to rewire my rear turn signals and bring it back to stock somewhat, but the only carb work I've ever done was to my pushmower, taking it apart in an attempt to clean it and replacing the fuel line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well let’s start with what problem are you trying to solve with a carb rebuild

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

High idle, increasingly low gas mileage, constant fuel odor, performance is suffering too, no idea if they're synched correctly. Don't think the bowls are leaking, but nothing is making sense right now. Floods out really bad, doesn't need choke to start.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

gileadexile posted:

How bad an idea is it to consider purchasing a full four carb rebuild kit and trying to refurb my own with walkthroughs and videos, versus just sending them off for a couple of hundred bucks to someone who specializes in them?

For me it would depend on how much of a pain it is to remove and install them a second time once you discover you did something wrong.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

High Protein posted:

For me it would depend on how much of a pain it is to remove and install them a second time once you discover you did something wrong.

Ohhhh, it's a process. 4 carbs, airbox, have to remove alot of stuff, takes a few hours.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gileadexile posted:

High idle, increasingly low gas mileage, constant fuel odor, performance is suffering too, no idea if they're synched correctly. Don't think the bowls are leaking, but nothing is making sense right now. Floods out really bad, doesn't need choke to start.

Normally I would say go hog wild we've got your back but iirc you have a V4 magna which is like choosing extra hard difficulty when it comes to the carbs.

It sounds like your choke is stuck on (happens a lot with those) or the synchronisation is really bad (happens a lot with those) or the fuel pump is playing up (happens a lot with those) or you have clogged pilots + PO fuckery to compensate (happens a lot on every bike).

It's not impossible for a first timer but there are loads of pitfalls and ways you can get it wrong without even realising it. I'll be impressed if you can get them out of the bike at all, do that and we'll talk more.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, wait, V4 Honda? Outsource it.

We’ll help you learn on something easier lol

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Hahahahahaha, message received fellas, that's why I wanted to ask.

Think I'll contact the guy over at https://thecarbspa.com/ and see what he can do for me. It will still entail taking them off and putting them on myself, but while I do that I'm going to refresh the throttle and choke cables, do a deep clean and detail, etc. Maybe slap on a cheap motocross type straight handlebar. Is it ok to ask periodic questions in here? I always feel like I kill threads when I post stuff about my rat bike and I don't want to tire others out.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Maybe you have a pilot jet that fell out and it's just sitting in the bottom of your float bowl.

Oh wait that only happens to me?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Before I fixed my carb problem with a simple mixture screw adjustment, I was considering cleaning the carbs myself (Honda v-twin), but just getting the carbs out of the frame looked like a massive pain in the butt.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

epalm posted:

just getting the carbs out of the frame looked like a massive pain in the butt.

This is my biggest issue. Its all bike dependen. If you can remove your carbs easily go ahead and tinker away, but if they're tough to access you will spend more time on disassembly and reassembly of your bike than you will tinkering with the carbs.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Toe Rag posted:

I’ve heard you can donate it to your local emergency services so they can use it to practice safe removal etc.

Yes this is a good idea, especially if you have a size other than L. Also helmets with unusual features like a modular helmet.

But I really like the astronaut helmet idea.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Paint it like an astronaut helmet, give it to a kid, donate the kid to the local emergency services.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gileadexile posted:

Hahahahahaha, message received fellas, that's why I wanted to ask.

Think I'll contact the guy over at https://thecarbspa.com/ and see what he can do for me. It will still entail taking them off and putting them on myself, but while I do that I'm going to refresh the throttle and choke cables, do a deep clean and detail, etc. Maybe slap on a cheap motocross type straight handlebar. Is it ok to ask periodic questions in here? I always feel like I kill threads when I post stuff about my rat bike and I don't want to tire others out.

Noone cares, :justpost:

I'd recommend budgeting for a fuel pump and filter or any carb work well be a waste, if the pump is original it's probably pretty close to dead.

Verman posted:

Maybe you have a pilot jet that fell out and it's just sitting in the bottom of your float bowl.

Oh wait that only happens to me?

Had this happen, as well as the other variation where I forgot to put them in entirely.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic with 2500 miles coming up at auction. No start, filthy, looks like it was stored outside. May have surface rust on some of the top chrome, may just be dirty.

If I get it, what's the best way to transport it ~5 miles to my house?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

is your house uphill or downhill from the auction. this is important

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

gileadexile posted:

If you're going to do it, step 1 is take the carbs off and bench test for leaks. On Honda V4 carbs you have a single fuel line from the tank going to a plastic T at the back of the carbs, a fuel line from the T goes to another plastic fuel tube that runs between the front carbs, and one that runs between the rear. There are O rings on these plastic tubes where they meet the metal carb; that is almost certainly where your leak is. The o rings can be replaced without fully unracking the carbs (don't touch the sync screws, don't unrack if possible). A leak from these points looks almost exactly like a leak from the bowls, but you probably won't be able to see it on the bike. On my VFR, I had to remove the plenum to see the leak.

Another possibility is you have a carb overflowing, this is easy to see with a bench test by looking down into the carbs when they have fuel in them, if you see fuel in the carb body, pooling up on the butterflies, you have an overflow, which means stuck float, bad float valve, or mis-adjusted float (yours probably are not adjustable).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

right arm posted:

is your house uphill or downhill from the auction. this is important

Just enough winding road and uphill to prevent me from pushing it. Already considered. If it wasn't a big road hog, I'd think about it, but drat, that thing would suck to push that far.

Edit: Seriously, uphill this thing would make me want to cry --

Edit 2: Would it be unreasonable to tie it to a pull strap on my Escalade's hitch and ride it as it's towed? I know that sounds redneck as hell, but... a 15' rope tied to the backbone or downtube can't be that dumb, can it?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 20, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Rent a pickup from uhaul?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MomJeans420 posted:

Rent a pickup from uhaul?

I'd still have to get it up into the bed. I could probably talk my neighbor into using the flatbed he's parking in front of my house at the moment, getting it up onto the trailer is still a question.

I don't have a frame of reference for how much this weights / how hard it is to push. My only experience in pushing bikes is from 25 years ago pushing my roommate's 350 about a mile home after the stupid thing wouldn't start for me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rent a motorbike trailer from Uhaul.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

meatpimp posted:

a 15' rope tied to the backbone or downtube can't be that dumb, can it?

Don't underestimate this idea, it could be extremely dumb.

You certainly don't want to push that pig for 5 miles, an 1100 with all that on it is going to weigh north of 650lbs. It will be easy to keep upright, but take a lot of effort to keep moving. Still, in nice weather I might consider it. Your best bet is to beg borrow or steal a trailer.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rent or borrow a trailer. Ask someone for help pushing it on there if you gotta.

Seriously, it's 5 miles, you could rent for an hour, it'll probably cost next to nothing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Gotcha. I'll look for a trailer. Thanks!

If I'm looking at a $1500 buy-in, I can't really go wrong, can I?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ll just say don’t pull a bike with a car and a tie down strap.

If you aren’t 100% dead on lined up with the car, it tries to pull the bike over.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 20, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would say that is a rubbish bike and not worth $1500 but hey

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’ll just say don’t pull a bike with a car and a tie down strap.

If you aren’t 100% dead on lined up with the car, it tries to pull the bike over.

That's why you PUSH it with a car (and a couple of throw pillows).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Slavvy posted:

I would say that is a rubbish bike and not worth $1500 but hey

I'm not a bike guy, I just see 1100 and 2500 miles and think there's profit potential.

If it's poo poo, it's poo poo and I'll pass...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's no profit in metric cruisers here, I can't imagine there is any in the land of cheap Harleys. Those are an extremely mediocre, lackluster bike that depreciates like an alfa by virtue of being a totally forgettable metric boomer cruiser.

Like if it's literally just a battery + petrol = running bike and profit then sure, go for it.

But when was the last time that happened?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Slavvy posted:

There's no profit in metric cruisers here, I can't imagine there is any in the land of cheap Harleys. Those are an extremely mediocre, lackluster bike that depreciates like an alfa by virtue of being a totally forgettable metric boomer cruiser.

Like if it's literally just a battery + petrol = running bike and profit then sure, go for it.

But when was the last time that happened?

Somewhere between 2007 and now. :v:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

meatpimp posted:

I don't have a frame of reference for how much this weights / how hard it is to push. My only experience in pushing bikes is from 25 years ago pushing my roommate's 350 about a mile home after the stupid thing wouldn't start for me.

I forgot you probably have at least one vehicle that can tow the proper uhaul bike trailer, that has a long ramp and is relatively easy to push a bike up. Just make sure the tires have air, I had to push my 450lb project bike up a long driveway then up the uhaul trailer while it had a flat tire and it SUCKED.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Get a trailer or a white van man with a ramp.

Note to Americans: the van is white, the man can be any colour.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Yeah if you go specifically looking for a white man with a van you run the risk of there being a wizard airbrushed on the side of the van, and shag carpeting on the floor

There are tiedowns, but not for your bike

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

meatpimp posted:

Just enough winding road and uphill to prevent me from pushing it. Already considered. If it wasn't a big road hog, I'd think about it, but drat, that thing would suck to push that far.

Edit: Seriously, uphill this thing would make me want to cry --

Edit 2: Would it be unreasonable to tie it to a pull strap on my Escalade's hitch and ride it as it's towed? I know that sounds redneck as hell, but... a 15' rope tied to the backbone or downtube can't be that dumb, can it?

Obviously don’t tow it with a tow strap, that’s dumb. Buuuut...

If you do tow it with a tow strap, you attach the strap to the car/foot peg of the bike in front of you and then you wrap it once around the foot peg of your bike but DO NOT ATTACH IT. You then “attach” it by stepping on the foot peg. And, more importantly, you can detach it by lifting your foot up. Then, just make sure the tow rope is never ever ever ever going across your bike. So, left foot peg, rope and vehicle doing the towing always stay on your left so the rope doesn’t come across and take out your front tire.

Slavvy posted:

Noone cares, :justpost:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Phy posted:

Yeah if you go specifically looking for a white man with a van you run the risk of there being a wizard airbrushed on the side of the van, and shag carpeting on the floor

There are tiedowns, but not for your bike

Please stop disrespecting my culture

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

meatpimp posted:

I'm not a bike guy, I just see 1100 and 2500 miles and think there's profit potential.

If it's poo poo, it's poo poo and I'll pass...

IDK I'd probably pay 1500 for that big dumb cruiser. it'd be a very different project than in the past, plus possibly fun to tool around on.

You can borry my trailer if you need it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

Man with a van isn't really a thing here afaik.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

How do you lot move poo poo around?

On the back of flat bed trucks? ROFLMAO.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

A very overconfident T and H, with obvious consequences. Plan ahead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

captainOrbital posted:

IDK I'd probably pay 1500 for that big dumb cruiser. it'd be a very different project than in the past, plus possibly fun to tool around on.

You can borry my trailer if you need it.

If I can get it cheap, maybe. It wouldn't be the dumbest thing I've ever bought...