Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nessus posted:

I think Uhura was from the United States of Africa or something. Similarly, Geordi was born in Mogadishu. In both cases, of course, the purpose of this was to indicate that Africa was just fine and dandy by Star Trek times. Given their reaction to the coronavirus, this seems to be another of those things Trek got right.

Uhura speaks Swahili in one episode (which has its own imperialist baggage, but whatever). I think it's likely both a nod to Africa being equal to America other parts of Earth and a subtle way of saying she's not an African-American. I guess the last one could make it more acceptable to have a black woman on screen at the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Yvonmukluk posted:

It'd be cool to have an episode where they find a planet where the transplanted culture has become spacefaring in their own right, because they didn't just stagnate from when they were taken. Give me a Space Wakanda episode, dammit!

Unrelated note: there never was a canonical on-screen explanation of Uhura's backstory, was there?

Just saying, SNW writers...

There was the Roman Empire planet that made it to 20th century equivalent in TOS.

According to Memory Beta they ended up joining the Federation by the mid 24th century, which means they must have invented warp drive on their own after TOS but before TNG.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BonHair posted:

Uhura speaks Swahili in one episode (which has its own imperialist baggage, but whatever). I think it's likely both a nod to Africa being equal to America other parts of Earth and a subtle way of saying she's not an African-American. I guess the last one could make it more acceptable to have a black woman on screen at the time?

Swahili's shown as her first language in several episodes, if I recall. Eg there was one where everyone heard a telepathic message: Chekov heard it in Russian, Spock in Vulcan, Uhura in Swahili, etc.

I think it was more about trying to appear global than what was more acceptable. It does lead to the quirk that the first established African-American character in Star Trek wasn't actually until DS9 with Sisko.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 23, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow early DS9 fans were really hardcore about it.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

John F Bennett posted:

Just watched 'The Offspring', S3 EP16 of TNG. It's about Data becoming a father by creating Lal, an android. Lal was forced to choose a gender, male or female, to fulfill its true potential.

While not a particularly good take now, the show was made like 30 years ago and at least Lal got to choose.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, drydock and spacedock should be the other way around. Spacedock or the inside of Yorktown in Trek where the ship can be closed inside and worked on in an atmosphere if they need to would be a drydock. The big exposed-to-vacuum frameworks would be a wetdock.

Random thought.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 23, 2021

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I know that Spacedock was built in a post-scarcity/post-money society, but someone on the design committee should have questioned enclosing an enormous, depressurised space.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SuperTeeJay posted:

I know that Spacedock was built in a post-scarcity/post-money society, but someone on the design committee should have questioned enclosing an enormous, depressurised space.

I harp on ILM's Trek designs a lot, but Spacedock is one of its most egregious. Yes, let's enclose all our ships in one giant space that can be shut down by a mysterious space burrito.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shyrka posted:

There was the Roman Empire planet that made it to 20th century equivalent in TOS.

According to Memory Beta they ended up joining the Federation by the mid 24th century, which means they must have invented warp drive on their own after TOS but before TNG.

Helmsman, set course CCXXVI mark XIV, warp factor V. Engage.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SuperTeeJay posted:

I can live with it. It let's you turn your ship off and not worry about solar radiation or micrometeorites or whatever.

Must make it an absolute pain if your office is on the far side of the starboard.

E you also get the wonderful storytelling technique of having our heroes literally cross a threshold from safety to adventure.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Infidelicious posted:

While not a particularly good take now, the show was made like 30 years ago and at least Lal got to choose.

Indeed, it was still a product of its time. The character literally said, ‘I am gender neutral, inadequate’. Thought that this was worth mentioning, in contrast to the current series.

It was a very good episode, I enjoyed it.

edit: it seems that if an android would become emotionally aware, it would become a huge society changing event. But it seems that the show didn't often revisit that part? In the same vein, a couple of episodes before this one, Q let Data feel what joy and laughter is for a couple of seconds. This seems to get glossed over, seems like it should be a major event for Data with some repercussions in his way of thinking.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 23, 2021

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

John F Bennett posted:

Indeed, it was still a product of its time. The character literally said, ‘I am gender neutral, inadequate’. Thought that this was worth mentioning, in contrast to the current series.

edit: it seems that if an android would become emotionally aware, it would become a huge society changing event. But it seems that the show didn't often revisit that part? In the same vein, a couple of episodes before this one, Q let Data feel what joy and laughter is for a couple of seconds. This seems to get glossed over, seems like it should be a major event for Data with some repercussions in his way of thinking.

I feel like there was at least one TOS episode where Kirk got a robot so turned on that it shorted out (WAP=Wet rear end Positronic-brain).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cat Hatter posted:

I feel like there was at least one TOS episode where Kirk got a robot so turned on that it shorted out (WAP=Wet rear end Positronic-brain).

Miiiiight have happened in What Are Little Girls Made Of? Been a while since I've done a thorough rewatch of TOS.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SuperTeeJay posted:

For all we know it was pressurised and there was just an atmospheric field over the door.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Cat Hatter posted:

You might be thinking of Requiem For Methuselah, where Kirk's insistence that Rayna (Flint's servant/companion/sexbot) choose between him and Flint caused her to short out. But one of my favorite out of context TOS scenes is from What Are Little Girls Made Of?, where Andrea asks Kirk-bot to kiss her, he refuses, and she phasers him.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Infidelicious posted:

Is it also not Lal who concludes that being, in her words, "neuter", is insufficient? Who are we to deny Lal her wish for gender expression? Like, it's definitely a missed opportunity for Troy to go, "actually, there are individuals of many species with different, or no conceptions of gender at all, humans included", but I don't remember the crew forcing the issue on Lal.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

the gazorra edit with data's horse painting but instead it's these

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MikeJF posted:

Swahili's shown as her first language in several episodes, if I recall. Eg there was one where everyone heard a telepathic message: Chekov heard it in Russian, Spock in Vulcan, Uhura in Swahili, etc.

I think it was more about trying to appear global than what was more acceptable. It does lead to the quirk that the first established African-American character in Star Trek wasn't actually until DS9 with Sisko.

Is Sisko still the only African-American main cast member? Tuvok was Vulcan, Mayweather was born in space, Burnham was from gently caress knows where but naturalized to Vulcan young enough I'll put her down as another Black Vulcan. I don't think they ever say where Raffi is from.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

They already know about Lore, who is literally Data With Feelings (And Also A Psychopath).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cat Hatter posted:

Is Sisko still the only African-American main cast member? Tuvok was Vulcan, Mayweather was born in space, Burnham was from gently caress knows where but naturalized to Vulcan young enough I'll put her down as another Black Vulcan. I don't think they ever say where Raffi is from.
Yes because Geordi was apparently Somali and Uhura was from somewhere in Africa as well

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes because Geordi was apparently Somali and Uhura was from somewhere in Africa as well

Sisko's dad's secret history as Admiral Cartwright would place him in the USA :haw:

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
When I wake up in the morning
And the prophets give a warning
And I don't think I'll ever make it on time
By the time the Klingon cooks
And I give myself a look
I'm at my station just in time to see Defiant fly by

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

tbf it just says he was born in Mogadishu so his parents might have just lived there. He doesn’t have a Somali name and there’s only an aside that claims he was born there.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

As I recall Geordi's parents were career Starfleet and moved around a lot on assignments, they were probably just stationed on Earth at the time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Honestly it does become weird once Earth is a united government. I don't want to dismiss anyone's experiences but I'm not 100% sure what you do there.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
eddington was canadian and you arent taking that away from me

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Verviticus posted:

At the very least, his family was, at some point, in the past.

Though the fact that he's the only person aside from Sisko to seem to actually have some emotional connection to the Thanksgiving dinner Sisko arranged for his senior staff, given that it's pretty much only Canada and the US that celebrate the holiday (at different harvest times of autumn), it lends credence to his being one himself, too.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Star Trek takes place after a horrific world war and whatever post-apocalyptic weirdness Q was showing. There's been a one world government for 150 years. It's a bit weird that there are even nations in Star Trek that resemble their 20th century counterparts.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Star Trek takes place after a horrific world war and whatever post-apocalyptic weirdness Q was showing. There's been a one world government for 150 years. It's a bit weird that there are even nations in Star Trek that resemble their 20th century counterparts.

Wait, nuclear war...alien intervention...holy poo poo, Posadas was right!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

That's about how long it's been since the Civil War and even less time than it's been since the Alamo.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Verviticus posted:

Does he know Riker?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cat Hatter posted:

That's about how long it's been since the Civil War and even less time than it's been since the Alamo.

Check your math. Or your history.

mossyfisk posted:

Does he know Riker?

Riker is from Alaska. Basically next door though, right?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i can see eddington's tomatoes from my house

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
But where is Thomas Riker from?

Probably Las Vegas.

Or maybe Branson, Missouri. Grew up watching Yakov Smirnoff holoshows on a riverboat.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr. Prokosch posted:

The Federation doesn't seem to be eager to specifically eradicate historical concepts or anything. Even if the boundaries of countries lost meaning, especially relatively young or arbitrary ones, you'd still have regional histories, and cities wouldn't just disappear either (barring nuclear weapons, and not even then).

If you have planetary prefectures or something, they'd probably at least kind of resemble historical nation-states in a lot of cases. You're going to have a chunk of Europe directly south of Ireland/England; no reason to piss off the locals by deciding it needs to be called "Europe Zone Two" instead of "France"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Something directly comparable might be the Heptarchy in England - Northumbria, Mercia, East Anglia, Sussex, Wessex, Essex and Kent. Most of these are now, in various forms, counties rather than countries and are perfectly happily part of the over-nation.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
There's canonical and semi-canonical earth countries in Stae Trek when United Earth and the Federation are around In addition to the US and Canada, there's the United States of Africa/the African Confederation, there's the Mediterranean Aliance, Venezuela, the European Alliance, and the USSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Check your math. Or your history.

Riker is from Alaska. Basically next door though, right?

The Civil War ended in 1865. 2021-1865 is 156 years.

The Alamo was in 1836. 2021-1836 is 185 years.

The post I quoted stated 150 years of unified Earth government, which is roughly the time span between our present and the Civil war, and noticeably less time than the 185 years it has been since the Alamo, both of which are still in public consciousness.