Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The “pastel Q” subgroup of qanon has picked up a lot of people you wouldn’t otherwise expect to be into ultranationalist conspiracy theories, because it was introduced into woo-friendly communities that are already skeptical of the media and authority, led off with the anti-trafficking/Save the Children stuff which is about as uncontroversial as it gets as a rallying cry, and found ways to integrate Qanon lore into their pet issues, like electrosensitivity or anti-vaccination or homeschooling or natural medicine. There’s a lot of people who were slowly eased into affiliating with Qanon and still might not even know what the rest of the community actually believes because of how atomized the various subgroups are; they just know Trump represents things they like and the Democrats are his opponents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

RagnarokAngel posted:

Key difference is that if you're white that can go a long way toward shielding you from the worst of discrimination. I'm trans and white, so to be clear im not saying white trans people are immune to discrimination, but I face a lot less than trans people of color.

I can absolutely see the mindset coming from someone who thinks the reason LGBT people are discriminated is that too many "act too gay" or otherwise take it too far. They're one of the good ones, so people will respect them once we get some respectable people in power.
But Trump has instituted so many anti-trans polices. He even complained about the Supreme Court rulling that gave trans people discrimination protection. It's litterally like a black person going to a Klan rally and saying, "yeah let's get all those darkeis"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He held a flag though.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lammasu posted:

But Trump has instituted so many anti-trans polices. He even complained about the Supreme Court rulling that gave trans people discrimination protection. It's litterally like a black person going to a Klan rally and saying, "yeah let's get all those darkeis"

So this guy:

https://twitter.com/w_terrence

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

One theme I’ve heard in a lot of LGBTQ people with conservative politics is some variation of “I’d rather have fewer rights and be rich than be poor with rights!”

Of course, thinking this way requires you to believe:

1-That it’s a given you’d be automatically better off economically under conservative policies as opposed to progressive ones.
2- That you could hold onto your economic gains in the absence of political rights.

One thing that confuses me about Qanon support among minorities is that I often hear it explained in terms of spreading among groups who “mistrust government”. But Q is the exact opposite of not trusting the government! At its beginnings wasn’t it all “The current President is going to save us from the pedo-cannibal cult so we need to let him have as much power as he wants!”

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

letthereberock posted:

One theme I’ve heard in a lot of LGBTQ people with conservative politics is some variation of “I’d rather have fewer rights and be rich than be poor with rights!”

Yeah that sort of wink-nod approach works only until you are a big enough target or you piss off the wrong person and then whoopsie, sodomy charges.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

exmachina posted:

Yeah that sort of wink-nod approach works only until you are a big enough target or you piss off the wrong person and then whoopsie, sodomy charges.

maybe people who think that way just feel like they missed their calling in life, as blackmailers :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lammasu posted:

Like do you not understand there are minorities who think the rest of their own is just acting disgracefully and if they acted "better" (Straight, cis, white) then they'd be accepted? It's horrible but it's not that hard of a concept to grasp. It's basically stockholm syndrome.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Is that the same one that categorized anti-capitalism as extremism to the same degree as racist and antisemitic language and terrorism?
Nah that was the new government-issued guidance for PSHE (personal/social/health education, basically our catch all subject for sex ed and Don't Do Drugs stuff), which as well as equating critique of capitalism with joining ISIS, also threw a bone to the I Am Being Silenced crowd that dominates the UK media landscape

https://twitter.com/lottelydia/status/1309757531263307776?s=21

Repeatedly declaring that all trans women are rapists and pedophiles until proven otherwise: Freedom, proper British values
Saying it's kinda messed up that major newspapers do that poo poo literally every day: Basically the same as blowing up a bus

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Like I can't emphasise enough how permissibility of conspiracy theories is just as socially stratified as loving everything else in the UK. Sharing a David Icke bit about how 5G masts spread covid = dreadful, undignified, Broken Britain. Using your column inches to spend years going off about how queers are trying to groom your children = basically traditional, what next, they won't let us eat pheasant anymore????

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Pretty good posted:

Like I can't emphasise enough how permissibility of conspiracy theories is just as socially stratified as loving everything else in the UK. Sharing a David Icke bit about how 5G masts spread covid = dreadful, undignified, Broken Britain. Using your column inches to spend years going off about how queers are trying to groom your children = basically traditional, what next, they won't let us eat pheasant anymore????

Eh, we Americans aren't great about this either, we invented the "Dapper nazi who made racism cool again" after all

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do you remember those chuds that broke down weeping about cfls and led lightbulbs and protested them as communism because they couldn’t get incandescent bulbs any more? Why did that insanity die out while every other folk devil and moral panic of the last 40 years got wrapped up into q?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Presumably because incandescent bulbs never went away?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I mean, one of the last things Trump did before losing the election was order the government to review regulations mandating low-flow toilets so that he could more effectively destroy the planet with every poo poo he takes.

It’s like loving catnip for conservatives.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Presumably because incandescent bulbs never went away?

Really? I haven’t seen one in years, not that I’ve had to spend much time in the lightbulb aisle since they started selling leds.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Do you remember those chuds that broke down weeping about cfls and led lightbulbs and protested them as communism because they couldn’t get incandescent bulbs any more? Why did that insanity die out while every other folk devil and moral panic of the last 40 years got wrapped up into q?

There are no incandescent bulb fittings still around so there's nowhere to put the bulbs if you had them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The Lone Badger posted:

There are no incandescent bulb fittings still around so there's nowhere to put the bulbs if you had them.

There are probably some out there, but I’ve been helping my sister on contracting projects for about a year and ain’t seen one. She probably has one in her shed in a forgotten box. Like how I have some ancient D&D box from 1994.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

The Lone Badger posted:

What?

https://www.homedepot.com/s/incandescent%2520light%2520bulb?NCNI-5

A19/E26 fittings are still everywhere and they take incandescents just fine. I can still buy incandescent bulbs at my local hardware store as well as the big box stores like Lowes and HD. I live in chud country though.

LED's are now commonplace but there are still absolutely those who insist on incandescents. CFL's that fit A19/E26 are still easy to come by but getting less common now.

I use almost nothing but LED's myself and only have a couple of incandescent bulbs that still haven't died yet because they're in closets and stuff that are very seldom used and are going on 10yr old now I think.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 24, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

History Comes Inside! posted:

How can any oppressed minority support their oppressor?

Brokebrains know no boundaries.

Ernst Röhm, close Ally to Hitler and gay. Hitler assassinated him during the night of long knives

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 24, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Mega Comrade posted:

Ernst Röhm, close Ally to Hitler and gay. Hitler assassinated him during the night of long knives

Röhm and Hitler were extremely close and the latter had to be convinced to purge him, basically. Really shows you how hypocritical the Nazis were at the end of the day.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

It came up a lot during Brexit and also Trump went off about more lightbulb choice at least once.

But really I think most of the loudest assholes quietened down when energy saving light bulbs went from looking like this

to looking like this

because (outside of the UV rays health green light conspiracy health weirds) it was always purely aesthetic and based on 'new thing look different'.

But yeah you can still get industrial incandescent bulbs at most hardware stores, because they still do have fringe uses like incubators or keeping outbuildings from freezing.

Vichan posted:

Röhm and Hitler were extremely close and the latter had to be convinced to purge him, basically. Really shows you how hypocritical the Nazis were at the end of the day.
Nazism then, as now, drew a distinction between the 'good gays' (manly eros) and 'those gays' (act like gays, you know). It's all strangely familiar.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
In a way it's beautiful how regardless of how much of an oppressed minority you are, there are people exactly like you who are dumb idiots and think the oppressors are right and you suck, or alternatively, that you should oppress group X instead because it's clearly those guys that deserve it. Truly an experience all of humanity should be able to bond over.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

In the 90s the same thing happened with low flow toilets. In fact Trump brought it up a few times because his brain is stuck in that decade.

Ultimately they both went away when the replacement products became as good as the originals. Both episodes are really just old school reflexively-afraid-of-change conservatism.

Anyway, Texas GOP have gone full Q:
https://mobile.twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1353334328181334016

Hawaii GOP has decided that Q people are just good folks and that it's based on a "kernel of fact", and that it's the media's fault and also have you heard about Peter Strozk and FISA?
https://mobile.twitter.com/gophawaii/status/1353194880898453509
(This is the last tweet in a thread, read the whole thing if you like to get angry)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Pretty good posted:

Nah that was the new government-issued guidance for PSHE (personal/social/health education, basically our catch all subject for sex ed and Don't Do Drugs stuff), which as well as equating critique of capitalism with joining ISIS, also threw a bone to the I Am Being Silenced crowd that dominates the UK media landscape

https://twitter.com/lottelydia/status/1309757531263307776?s=21

Repeatedly declaring that all trans women are rapists and pedophiles until proven otherwise: Freedom, proper British values
Saying it's kinda messed up that major newspapers do that poo poo literally every day: Basically the same as blowing up a bus

The idea that boomers and reactionaries have turned "not liking something they like" into a loving Moral Panic is out of control, just what the gently caress. Like it's not enough now for them to be able to spout their nonstop spigot of idiocy and abusive garbage, oh no; now YOU are WRONG if you don't want to listen to them do it or object in any way

Like for fucks sake Boomers, get a loving life :fuckoff:

HappyHippo posted:

In the 90s the same thing happened with low flow toilets. In fact Trump brought it up a few times because his brain is stuck in that decade.

Ultimately they both went away when the replacement products became as good as the originals. Both episodes are really just old school reflexively-afraid-of-change conservatism.

Hawaii GOP has decided that Q people are just good folks and that it's based on a "kernel of fact", and that it's the media's fault and also have you heard about Peter Strozk and FISA?
(This is the last tweet in a thread, read the whole thing if you like to get angry)

The GOP is a terrorist organization at this point and should be treated accordingly

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 24, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TulliusCicero posted:

The GOP is a terrorist organization at this point and should be treated accordingly

That's kinda downgrading them. They are literally as bad as the Nazi Party in the 30s, with the exact same actions down to a loving Putsch (a bigger one, in the literal center of the government and not some random beer hall).

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

The Texas GOP has adopted that "we are the storm" Q messaging ever since Allen West became their carpetbagging chair. It's not new since the election or the Capitol Hill mob. I don't know why it's being portrayed like it's new, it's a choice made by the chairman. The main notable thing is that he/they haven't backed off of it, not that they have switched to it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Zwabu posted:

The Texas GOP has adopted that "we are the storm" Q messaging ever since Allen West became their carpetbagging chair. It's not new since the election or the Capitol Hill mob. I don't know why it's being portrayed like it's new, it's a choice made by the chairman. The main notable thing is that he/they haven't backed off of it, not that they have switched to it.

They never will

You can never admit you are wrong in boomer/ reactionary culture. That's weakness. You have to constantly double down and down until you are a perpetual drill boring into the center of the Earth

It's why they are so susceptible to this dumb poo poo: they don't critically think, ever, about anything. It's just entirely feelings and "gut reactions"

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

You can never admit you are wrong in boomer/ reactionary culture. That's weakness. You have to constantly double down and down until you are a perpetual drill boring into the center of the Earth

This is why Ted Cruz will never get the Trump voters. Sucking up to him after losing shows weakness. Ted's going to get primaried by Jenna Ryan and lose by a shitton of votes.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

That probably implies that as much that people claim that every modern conspiracy is thinly reheated Protocols with the targets barely changed, Protocols itself is probably thinly reheated remnants of a previous conspiracy work with same.

It's all anti-Carthaginian blood libel, which is p much the animating force of Christianity from Paul onwards.

BiggerBoat posted:

Not really no but I don't understand gay Republicans at all either.

I'm bi, which is neither here nor there I suppose, but back when I'd get out more and frequent certain social circles, it always astonished me to see how much anti Obama sentiment there was in the gay community, particularly among lesbians. It's anecdotal so it might not mean much but I remember catching a fair amount of poo poo for my tiny Obama button in mostly gay hangouts.

It's tempting to say it has something to do with income levels but most of these people were as broke as I was if not more so. My ex wife's best friend was a lesbian whose partner played in an all girl band so we got out a lot in that crowd and socialized with a lot of gay women. I couldn't chalk it up to racism either given the demographics of my hangouts and the neighborhood I lived in. I've also known a couple of very well off gay men where I guess tax brackets might be a thing for them but I still don't see how that weighs out against belonging to or voting for a party or a subscribing to an ideology that thinks you are a subhuman monster spawned from Satan.

Some gay people actually do have inborn political instincts. Barack Obama pissed people off who were not in a position to forget they were gay again, and they will distrust the opportunist and his followers for the rest of their lives. He was supposed to be safe, he was supposed to be their guy. A more obvious example is Joy Ann Reid or the Satanic Panic AirBNB guy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Is that a fencing scar? That's a proper nazi.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Whenever I remember there is a Hawaiian GOP I wonder if there are any native Hawaiians on it or if it’s all lovely old rich white people moving there and demanding the island retool itself around their political beliefs sort of like what happened with Florida

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BiggerBoat posted:

Not really no but I don't understand gay Republicans at all either.

I'm bi, which is neither here nor there I suppose, but back when I'd get out more and frequent certain social circles, it always astonished me to see how much anti Obama sentiment there was in the gay community, particularly among lesbians. It's anecdotal so it might not mean much but I remember catching a fair amount of poo poo for my tiny Obama button in mostly gay hangouts.

It's tempting to say it has something to do with income levels but most of these people were as broke as I was if not more so. My ex wife's best friend was a lesbian whose partner played in an all girl band so we got out a lot in that crowd and socialized with a lot of gay women. I couldn't chalk it up to racism either given the demographics of my hangouts and the neighborhood I lived in. I've also known a couple of very well off gay men where I guess tax brackets might be a thing for them but I still don't see how that weighs out against belonging to or voting for a party or a subscribing to an ideology that thinks you are a subhuman monster spawned from Satan.

Then again, I don't even think most of the fire and brimstone southern GOP really believes that poo poo either. It's just useful to pretend they do.

There's also a TON of closeted "tough guy redneck" type gay men. I live in NE FL (so basically southern GA), which is a pretty red voting area and a lot of those huntin/fishin/shootin/pick up truck drivin fellas are gay as gently caress but not real comfortable with it so I guess self hate enters into it at some point? Back in the craigslist days and on gay dating sites I've met and seen my share of them, many of whom were married and getting into stuff on the down low, so maybe there's a shame element that makes them pretend and sort of over compensate so they blend in with their neighbors (?)

None of that explains Q though.

Not sure. I dunno. I can't speak for every non straight republican voter and this is the Q thread anyway so I'm way off topic but just telling you what I've seen on the ground and in my same sex travels. It confuses me also.

Is the Log Cabin caucus even alive anymore? I wonder.

Ola posted:

WWI marks, I believe.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

I think there are still Log Cabin republicans but I don’t think their wallpaper matters anymore to the party. The Arizona GOP just went masks off trying to issue a censuring of some of it’s member for supporting bad leftists things and specifically listing supporting gay marriage as one of the reasons. This was all expected and only the idiots trying to be “one of the good gays” didn’t see it coming.

Anyone who doesn’t think that the GOP won’t expand from going after transpeople to all LGBTQ+ people if they get enough power is lying to themselves because they feel they have something to gain.

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 24, 2021

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Why haven't they changed their name to Stonewall Jackson.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

DarkCrawler posted:

It still exists but it suffered mass defections between 2016 and 2020; a lot of the leadership quit and pretty much everyone who wasn't a rich, straight-passing white gay guy has given up on it

There's a separate subset of groups like "Gays for Trump" who point to small, isolated things like Trump appointing a gay man to an ambassadorship and opposing other countries' criminalization of homosexuality as evidence that he's the best president on LGBT issues in history, while ignoring pretty much everything else he's done because again they're largely just rich, straight-passing white gay men

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Ola posted:

Yep, probably got it at Heidelberg or Bonn university where you'll still spot the odd young student wandering around with a fresh one.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respectability_politics?wprov=sfti1

Yeah it’s a lot of this, folks. I still deal with it personally, hell a lot of people do, but I can fully see overdosing on respectability politics leading one down a q hole.

I mean I’ve used skin whitening poo poo before, which I couldn’t keep up due to my skin seemingly hating poison being rubbed on it (what a concept!), but I still deal with it psychologically, so to say.

But it’s common in many many many marginalized communities and I don’t see it going away.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Ola posted:

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Yep, probably got it at Heidelberg or Bonn university where you'll still spot the odd young student wandering around with a fresh one.

I always thought it was a fencing scar as well but apparently it's a war wound he got in Lorraine in 1914. He was wounded again in 1916 and almost died from the Spanish flu in 1918. More evidence against the concept of a loving god, I suppose.

EDIT: If you look closely you can also see scars on his nose and chin.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

HappyHippo posted:

I had to buy a new washing machine last week and people are still review-bombing "energy efficient" ones; the text is always specifically how the energy efficiency is to blame for not getting their clothing clean.

HappyHippo posted:

Has anyone tried to corner them on what that "kernel of truth" is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
★☆☆☆☆ I only clean my clothes by dragging them behind my truck while I roll coal on earth day so they smell of men and nobody mistakes me for a homeosexual.