Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Wicked Them Beats posted:

https://twitter.com/SophiaBollag/status/1353798072162111489?s=20

Newsom is using the decline in transmission rates to justify reopening. No, no, don't ask what effect this policy change will have on transmission rates, I assure you the state has secret numbers that make this a very good idea.

turning a big dial that says "COVID DEATHS" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
So San Jose's police chief "retired" recently (the protests, police shooting their own racial bias trainer in the nuts, etc.) and accepted a job as the Dallas chief. City Manager just came out with the seven finalists to replace him - first on the list is the Minneapolis police chief

:acab:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Class Warcraft posted:

turning a big dial that says "COVID DEATHS" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Disease & Disaster > California Politics Thread: turning a big dial that says "COVID DEATHS" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the Price is Right

(Yes, I know it's too long, but so much this)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Alec Eiffel posted:

Dem governor appeasing CHUDs because they definitely won’t want to recall him now

I asked here I think 'why would anyone want to recall newsom?' about 2 weeks ago because someone I knew posted about it on fb (for the vaccine rollout in his case). Now I'm like "ok, let's recall newsom for opening back up". gently caress that guy.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Mitsuo posted:

So San Jose's police chief "retired" recently (the protests, police shooting their own racial bias trainer in the nuts, etc.) and accepted a job as the Dallas chief. City Manager just came out with the seven finalists to replace him - first on the list is the Minneapolis police chief

Lol, goddamn

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

redreader posted:

I asked here I think 'why would anyone want to recall newsom?' about 2 weeks ago because someone I knew posted about it on fb (for the vaccine rollout in his case). Now I'm like "ok, let's recall newsom for opening back up". gently caress that guy.

What’s hilarious is that he’s trying to triangulate or some poo poo but instead he would’ve won had he just come down hard on “save people” or at least, being less nakedly pro rich people, which are the only people I surmise are being served by this weirdness.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

What’s hilarious is that he’s trying to triangulate or some poo poo but instead he would’ve won had he just come down hard on “save people” or at least, being less nakedly pro rich people, which are the only people I surmise are being served by this weirdness.

i mean newsom himself is rich. he's looking out for number one, just like 99.9999% of american politicians

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Newsom, tapping his head: "I can't be recalled if nobody's left to sign the petition!"

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

CPColin posted:

Newsom, tapping his head: "I can't be recalled if nobody's left to sign the petition!"

Tbh this is the logical extrapolation of Democratic policy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mitsuo posted:

lmao jesus christ

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Class Warcraft posted:

Also lol.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Mitsuo posted:

So, the good news is he's on top of the list because it's in alphabetical order.
The bad news is WTF is he even doing on the list at all? Are there not seven people in the country who are qualified for the job and haven't caused riots?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

As I offered to take Kamala's senate seat, I hereby put myself forth to protect the good people of San Jose. I am ready to serve.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Class Warcraft posted:

Actually, y'know what? Here's that big dial, or wheel in this case:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

fermun posted:

It's like the balance meter in Tony Hawk Pro Skater. To keep a grind/manual going as long as possible, you need to make sure you never get too far to one side or the other. Through careful management, we can keep this thing at its current level almost indefinitely.

More people dead from COVID every day than died on 9/11?

redreader posted:

not sure who people want to replace him with lol.

at least the non-chuds, i know who the chuds want

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 26, 2021

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
CHIANG

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cup Runneth Over posted:

at least the non-chuds, i know who the chuds want

the thunderdome of candidates attempting to fill the vacuum is the best part

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the thunderdome of candidates attempting to fill the vacuum is the best part
Do we still have top two primary with a recall election?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

One could say that he's between THE ROCK and a hard place. :allears:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

CopperHound posted:

Do we still have top two primary with a recall election?

Last time it was a free for all. There were 135 candidates on the ballot. Some of them were very amusing.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Somewhere in a closet I have a deck of recall election candidate themed playing cards

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Last time it was a free for all. There were 135 candidates on the ballot. Some of them were very amusing.
Okay, I looked up the top two primary act. It doesn't apply to governor.

I like that Laryy Flynt was listed as a Publisher.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 27, 2021

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

More people dead from COVID every day than died on 9/11?

Seems to be what our government is after.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

CopperHound posted:

He was. At one point he was publishing a bunch of mainstream stuff.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I remember during the Who Wants To Be Governor of California? game show on GSN when Mary Carey answered "What does 'LBC' stand for?" with "Uh...LBC?"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CopperHound posted:

lol this is a fantastic idea. live with your buyer's remose libs

or don't since newsom is going to kill you

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah I was of the "well trump has hosed over everyone and blamed them", which he has, but nobody at all is making Newsom open things up on the promise of things being maybe Just Really Bad in the future.

What in the gently caress

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/jrivanob/status/1354168265052852224
Newsom ended the stay at home orders to placate economy. Mister Economy, not the economy.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

fermun posted:

https://twitter.com/jrivanob/status/1354168265052852224
Newsom ended the stay at home orders to placate economy. Mister Economy, not the economy.
Randy Economy :wiggle:

Yeah I was going to say that since the ending of the stay-at-home order from December happened to end at the same time that the recall movement reported to the press that they had 1.2 of 1.5 million signatures needed means the recall effort gets to run around crowing about how Gavin opened up the state again in fear of the recall effort.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

https://twitter.com/byelsieramos/status/1353877029993631744

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Storm night!

edit: lost power 10:45 in rancho, and the main band is still barely coming onshore. Gonna be a wild-rear end night.

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 27, 2021

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

We didn't lose power but there had to be some arcing power lines because I saw at least two super bright flashes of light and didn't hear any thunder. Stay safe out there.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Tayter Swift posted:

Storm night!

edit: lost power 10:45 in rancho, and the main band is still barely coming onshore. Gonna be a wild-rear end night.

we've been having it flicker lots right across the river from rancho

as a person from hurricane country these 3 second gusts seem like right around 60mph or so like they're forecasted to be, but they're coming far more often - at least twice a minute - than i'm comfortable with. and we're still an hour off from the peak, so i'm expecting to not have power tomorrow yeah

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

We've had a couple power flickers on the Coastside. Also, I was driving home down the 1 through Pacifica after doing some shopping today and it sucked. Plenty of rain, plus intense gusts perpendicular to the highway. Last year I caught a huge gust like that, lost contact with the road, and went into a ditch. I was white-knuckling the whole way through Pacifica and Devil's Slide today, and not really getting above 40 mph. Luckily the wind should mellow a bit tomorrow.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Lost power in San Jose.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

CopperHound posted:

lol i remembered gallagher was running but forgot about gary coleman

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Weirdly the name I'd forgotten but was pleased to remember was good old Cruz Bustamante. Probably because I'm Central Valley-bred, but he was one of those names you just saw and heard everywhere growing up. Apparently he hasn't done anything since he lost Insurance Commisioner to Poizner in 2006. I wonder what old Cruz is up to these days.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

redreader posted:

Lost power in San Jose.

Looking at PG&E's outage map there are pockets around San Jose, yeah. Apparently power is out just three blocks down from me. Fingers crossed I wake up still having power tomorrow so I don't have to go into the office and catch COVID.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Kenning posted:

We've had a couple power flickers on the Coastside. Also, I was driving home down the 1 through Pacifica after doing some shopping today and it sucked. Plenty of rain, plus intense gusts perpendicular to the highway. Last year I caught a huge gust like that, lost contact with the road, and went into a ditch. I was white-knuckling the whole way through Pacifica and Devil's Slide today, and not really getting above 40 mph. Luckily the wind should mellow a bit tomorrow.

lol driving into Half Moon Bay along those cliffs is normally terrifying, today it was probably infinitely worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Kenning posted:

Weirdly the name I'd forgotten but was pleased to remember was good old Cruz Bustamante. Probably because I'm Central Valley-bred, but he was one of those names you just saw and heard everywhere growing up. Apparently he hasn't done anything since he lost Insurance Commisioner to Poizner in 2006. I wonder what old Cruz is up to these days.

I remember his name because fake Arnold on Late Night with Conan O'Brien called him "Lose Bust-your-pantski"