Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

It was weird how PB turned into Craig but Sean Bean just turned into "some guy" who is the villain. It was fun to use the Wii mote as a mobile phone that rings in your hand and you literally have to hold it up to your ear to listen too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I had no idea it wasn't a normal remake so it wasn't fine.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

verbal enema posted:

the mst3k movie came out in 1996 what

the loving

gently caress

The Normal View bit still cracks me up;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV53mhpc1Ww

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

this felt and looked incredibly crappy. the demo completely turned me off.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Squeezy Farm posted:

this felt and looked incredibly crappy. the demo completely turned me off.

it is brown, but in a charming way

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I probably won't pick it up until it's about ready for regular release, but the demo was fun enough that unless the developer turns out to be a milkshake duck, I'll buy it. The only issue I had with the demo is that the trickling of ammo/weapons was uneven until about the time I broke into the church/catacombs. If I hadn't found the, uh, rocket launcher secret? it would have been a lot rougher in that pre-church stretch.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my only negative is that i want the guns to feel more crunchy, but that's something that can definitely be changed in early access. they feel solid, otherwise. the game is fun as hell.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/TafferKing451/status/1355605964532011010?s=20
https://twitter.com/TreyPowell1964/status/1355598410397741059?s=20

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Now, if you want a Bond game that has been totally forgotten but tried to be a sequel to Goldeneye in every meaningful way, you're in luck. Check out The World Is Not Enough for N64 and PSX. It has been completely forgotten, probably because it really didn't reach the heights of Goldeneye and was released during the same time as when Rare presented Perfect Dark as the REAL sequel. Still a fun curio, though.

I'm going to be pedantic as gently caress for a moment - the n64 and psx versions of TWINE are totally different. The PSX version was done by the same team that did the half-decent Tomorrow Never Dies on the PSX. The N64 meanwhile, is a loving gem and was designed by Eurocom. The tteam that would eventually go on to do Nightfire (and a bunch of cool other poo poo) and the surprisingly fun Goldeneye remake with Daniel Craig.

the N64 version had the option to add in multiplayer bots, and gave absolutely no fucks about balance. There was a grenade that took out a literal block (think Shadow Warrior's nukes) and the levels were clearly designed by the "gently caress it, whatever works" philosophy.

Indulge me for a moment...

Agent Under Fire - Designed by EA's internal team, and running on Quake 3's engine (why?!) this is a serviceable FPS. Not anywhere near good as, say, NOLF, but a fine team if you're a Bond fan.

Nightfire - As others mentioned, is an excellent FPS. It sadly received a totally different version of the PC thanks to our friends at Gearbox (gently caress them, as always).

Everything or Nothing -Pushing the series to a third person perspective finally gave them some room to avoid Goldeneye comparisons. This is almost a predecessor to Call of Duty's "All set pieces, all the time" oddly enough. They also shelled out money for a cast that could've easily passed for a proper Bond film - Shannon Elizabeth, Heidi Klum, and Willem loving Dafoe. They also got the dude who co-wrote most of the Brosan era Bond films, it's like a whacked out sequel to Die Another Day but somehow good.

Goldeneye Rogue Agent - a standard shooter with a dude who has a... Goldeneye. It's absolutely terrible, but amazingly shameless.

From Russia With Love - a sloppily thrown together title using Everything or Nothing's engine. For whatever reason, they decided to remake From Russia With Love (the one Bond film that plays more like a spy flick than an action love letter) instead of, say, Thunderball. They did secure Sean Connery to do the voice, which a) is goddamn great and b) super distracting, because Connery is wheezing his lines like the 90 year old man he was.

Quantum of Solace - Treyarch made this around when they did Call of Duty 3 (a turd of a title) and it kinda shows. It's Bond does bad CoD, and that's about it.

Goldeneye 007 - Eurocom returned to the series with a personal favorite. This is a surreal mash up of a) the original film b) set pieces from the original video game c) a "modern" game with moldy CoD set pieces buttressed by tight stealthy gunplay and d) an attempt to re-tell Goldeneye but WITH Daniel Craig as the lead and modernized settings.

Blood Stone - Remember the team that did Project Gotham Racing? Well, now no one does because Activision shuttered their doors after the underrated Blur and this totally fine, totally unremarkable adventure. When its good, its very good, playing like an action focused Splinter Cell conviction. When its bad, which is often, it shows every stretch mark that undoubtedly came from a rushed development schedule.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You forgot 007 Legends!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

Blood Stone - Remember the team that did Project Gotham Racing? Well, now no one does because Activision shuttered their doors after the underrated Blur and this totally fine, totally unremarkable adventure. When its good, its very good, playing like an action focused Splinter Cell conviction. When its bad, which is often, it shows every stretch mark that undoubtedly came from a rushed development schedule.

It also has a nonsensical cliffhanger ending that will never be resolved for the aforementioned reasons.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Bizarre Creations shutdown still makes my blood boil.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The PC version of Nightfire is so loving bad it doesn't have any hit indicators for when you're being shot, you just lose bars of your health. It's also got some extremely obnoxious headbob.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

kirbysuperstar posted:

You forgot 007 Legends!

Didn't that have a tie-in level to the movie coming out around the same time (Skyfall? I've managed to miss all the Craig films), but they didn't want to spoil anything so they released the last level of the game as DLC, then Activision lost the license so now you can't play the final level (not a bonus level, one that actually ties into the story) any more unless you buy the WiiU version, which was a later port so came out after the movie and had the DLC added into the base game?

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm going to be pedantic as gently caress for a moment - the n64 and psx versions of TWINE are totally different. The PSX version was done by the same team that did the half-decent Tomorrow Never Dies on the PSX. The N64 meanwhile, is a loving gem and was designed by Eurocom. The tteam that would eventually go on to do Nightfire (and a bunch of cool other poo poo) and the surprisingly fun Goldeneye remake with Daniel Craig.

the N64 version had the option to add in multiplayer bots, and gave absolutely no fucks about balance. There was a grenade that took out a literal block (think Shadow Warrior's nukes) and the levels were clearly designed by the "gently caress it, whatever works" philosophy.

Agent Under Fire - Designed by EA's internal team, and running on Quake 3's engine (why?!) this is a serviceable FPS. Not anywhere near good as, say, NOLF, but a fine team if you're a Bond fan.

Nightfire - As others mentioned, is an excellent FPS. It sadly received a totally different version of the PC thanks to our friends at Gearbox (gently caress them, as always).

Everything or Nothing -Pushing the series to a third person perspective finally gave them some room to avoid Goldeneye comparisons. This is almost a predecessor to Call of Duty's "All set pieces, all the time" oddly enough. They also shelled out money for a cast that could've easily passed for a proper Bond film - Shannon Elizabeth, Heidi Klum, and Willem loving Dafoe. They also got the dude who co-wrote most of the Brosan era Bond films, it's like a whacked out sequel to Die Another Day but somehow good.

Goldeneye Rogue Agent - a standard shooter with a dude who has a... Goldeneye. It's absolutely terrible, but amazingly shameless.

From Russia With Love - a sloppily thrown together title using Everything or Nothing's engine. For whatever reason, they decided to remake From Russia With Love (the one Bond film that plays more like a spy flick than an action love letter) instead of, say, Thunderball. They did secure Sean Connery to do the voice, which a) is goddamn great and b) super distracting, because Connery is wheezing his lines like the 90 year old man he was.

Quantum of Solace - Treyarch made this around when they did Call of Duty 3 (a turd of a title) and it kinda shows. It's Bond does bad CoD, and that's about it.

Goldeneye 007 - Eurocom returned to the series with a personal favorite. This is a surreal mash up of a) the original film b) set pieces from the original video game c) a "modern" game with moldy CoD set pieces buttressed by tight stealthy gunplay and d) an attempt to re-tell Goldeneye but WITH Daniel Craig as the lead and modernized settings.

That was a great write up. Also, holy poo poo, there are so many Bond games I had no idea existed!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I remember renting TWINE for N64 as a kid and having a blast until my mom got very upset about the violence of my sister and I running around shooting each other in the head and insisted it was going back to the store immediately, you are not renting that again.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Narcissus1916 posted:

AUF multiplayer was basically an unofficial bionic commando game, that was the entire point of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNk7ldmCKO0

Narcissus1916 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44j6s_FjNJE

Castor Poe posted:

That was a great write up. Also, holy poo poo, there are so many Bond games I had no idea existed!

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 31, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My favorite one after Goldeneye. It’s pretty much Bond’s Awakening.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

catlord posted:

Didn't that have a tie-in level to the movie coming out around the same time (Skyfall? I've managed to miss all the Craig films), but they didn't want to spoil anything so they released the last level of the game as DLC, then Activision lost the license so now you can't play the final level (not a bonus level, one that actually ties into the story) any more unless you buy the WiiU version, which was a later port so came out after the movie and had the DLC added into the base game?

It's extra bad because it takes a scene from pretty early in the movie and makes it a boss fight and removes all the context surrounding it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

My favorite one after Goldeneye. It’s pretty much Bond’s Awakening.

First thing that popped into my head when 007 games came up.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That reminds me, has anyone played Daikatana GBC? I know it’s like Zelda too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

That reminds me, has anyone played Daikatana GBC? I know it’s like Zelda too.

It's neat. A lot better than uhh..Perfect Dark GBC.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's neat. A lot better than uhh..Perfect Dark GBC.

Perfect Dark GBC has a tutorial up there with Driver for being brutally, and unforgivingly more difficult than anything else in the game.

It also doesnt teach you 2/3rds of the games mechanics so lol figure em out in live fire exercises.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

HROT really nails a certain kind of spooky vibe without getting dumb about it. it's definitely like soviet half-life mixed with quake, and the atmosphere rules. mowing down hordes of guys in gasmasks and grotesque floating heads while crunching down on bags of semi-skimmed milk and cans full of blood and fat for nourishment.

make sure to kiss the portrait of gustáv husák for good luck.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

WTF :psyduck:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOuIrSQhHpY

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

I didn't realize Agent Under Fire was the Quake 3 engine but thinking about it... yeah holy poo poo. Also I forgot Blood Stone even existed before this post. Never played it, but I get the impression not many people did.

Also is it worth trying the PC version of Nightfire? Kind of intrigued by it since it's apparently different in a bunch of ways and apparently a goldsrc game but I don't think I've ever heard anything positive about it.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Johnny Joestar posted:

my only negative is that i want the guns to feel more crunchy, but that's something that can definitely be changed in early access. they feel solid, otherwise. the game is fun as hell.

I remember this from the demo. The gun sounds are very not good which is a shame cause everything else is great

On the plus side you can replace the openal32 dll in the game folder with openal soft and get some nice HRTF audio

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
You can ride the moped in HROT

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

haveblue posted:

Where did they even find a Pascal development environment that can target modern computers? And why would you inflict that on yourself when nothing about that is going to come through in the final product?

Uh, it's probably using either Free Pascal or Delphi, both still maintained and developed. Probably using Object Pascal too, to at least some degree. It's not like everything stopped after UCSD Pascal was released...

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is that it's honestly no more painful than working in C or C++.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 31, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

dracula vladdy AF posted:

Also is it worth trying the PC version of Nightfire?

No.

E: since we're still on the subject that Goldeneye stream the other day is now archived and David Doak showed up on it at one point apparently. https://twitter.com/Graslu00/status/1355325394308759552?s=19

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 31, 2021

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Hah, looks interesting.

Blows my mind they were still making Gameboy games in 1997.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Castor Poe posted:

Blows my mind they were still making Gameboy games in 1997.
Pokemon really revived that platform, hence the GBC coming out in '98.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

UnknownMercenary posted:

No.

E: since we're still on the subject that Goldeneye stream the other day is now archived and David Doak showed up on it at one point apparently. https://twitter.com/Graslu00/status/1355325394308759552?s=19

I think you mean

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

Just going to put out there that this game is fantastic if you like Bond moives (calling it a sequal to Die another day is accurate the story and voice acting is good enough for a movie) and the levels are easy to finish but all have layers of optional ways to do things that make it harder but more cool and bond like (which unlocks extra stuff of course).
Also it has a bike with flamethrowers on the side.

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."
That is a picture I have not seen in a long time

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

Perfect Dark GBC has a tutorial up there with Driver for being brutally, and unforgivingly more difficult than anything else in the game.

It also doesnt teach you 2/3rds of the games mechanics so lol figure em out in live fire exercises.

Indeed

Come to think of it I bet it runs on the same framework/engine as Conker's Pocket Tails, with all that entails

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://twitter.com/quake_txt/status/1355837308440866823?s=19

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Indeed

Come to think of it I bet it runs on the same framework/engine as Conker's Pocket Tails, with all that entails

I just double checked, excluding the puzzle bosses you interact with using the tutorial mechanics sort of, 4/5ths of the games control modes are not covered in the tutorial. By volume of playtime its good, but I will always remember that the very very first mission after the tutorial kicks off with an immediately out for blood alternate gameplay mode.

Also for lols the part of the tutorial I remember specifically being peak unfair the guy doing the video I watched failed a bunch of times in a row for the same horseshit reason.

Man, Im suddenly extra glad MS said the new game would be all FPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I enjoyed HROT loads, a solid FPS with grim atmosphere but surprisingly funny in places. Creased up at what I assume is a Duke3D reference: a cinema that you can activate the projector in, drawing back the curtain to reveal... low-res looped news footage of Lenin.

Automap gives the game away though: everything is right-angles. Also, powerfully brown and has weedy gun noises as others have mentioned.