Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ban all sport hunting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Rah! posted:

ban all sport hunting

:yeah:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

not sure why bizarro watt has a problem with this:

quote:

The bill would ban California’s sport hunting season that now allows for 1,700 bears killed in the fall and early winter. Under the bill, bears could still be killed under a permit to protect public safety, livestock and for scientific research.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article248775710.html

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
We have suburban coyotes but what I really want are suburban bears.
It'd be the real way for us to honor our flag.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Move the Folsom Street Fair to Burlingame, mission accomplished.

Also, about 5 pages late to house chat, I have no desire to leave the bay area and it is unlikely that I will, but the temptation is real when looking to buy a house and you can buy a massive house in like... Raleigh or something for half the down payment as some small fixer upper here. You would have to cap your budget just so you don't end up in some 6 bedroom 4 bath McMansion for like 500k.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 30, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah, but then you're in Rahleigh.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

How’s the dim sum out there??

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dunno but I’ve had great Vietnamese in Greensboro

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
It was just a random city chosen for example because I know a bunch of people that moved to that area of NC from here since it has a relatively decent amount of biotech jobs, I know nothing about the city and have never been there. Feel free to substitute any other city of your liking outside of the small handful that are also expensive.

luminalflux posted:

For a 5 second point of reference - put this house/land in the mid peninsula and you are essentially just adding a 0 to the end for a reasonable guess at the cost.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5712-Manor-Ridge-Trl-Greensboro-NC-27407/5958506_zpid/

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 30, 2021

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

luminalflux posted:

Hey I love my Vietnamese food, but that’s not the same as dim sum.

I need the little morsels of shrimp in the har gow.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Rah! posted:

not sure why bizarro watt has a problem with this:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article248775710.html

I've been unnecessarily flippant so far, but essentially I don't think there's adequate enough reason for instituting this ban other than "I don't like sport hunting"-- and the article you linked mentions that the hunting quota never comes close to being met anyway, unless there's a lot of poaching going on. So it's not a conservation issue.

That said, I'm not one of those that is decrying the loss of "hunter's rights" I see from conservative people I know. Hunters don't have rights, they have privileges, and this is one I don't see adequate enough justification for removing.

Rah! posted:

leave the bears alone u hairless ape freak

Making a bold assumption there.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
lol "to protect livestock"

as if too many loving cows isn't a problem

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Bizarro Watt posted:

Making a bald assumption there.

Fixed

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

:golfclap:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

We have suburban coyotes but what I really want are suburban bears.

Great partners for morning walks

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

gm 714 goons. There's snow up un them there hills

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, how beautiful.

I can live with snow just fine. I can't live with Southern humid heat. My two rules are 1) I am never living in a majority-conservative area again. When I lived in Charlotte, the DA wanted to arrest the cast of Angels In America for public nudity and 2) The wetter parts of California are a gardener's paradise. It would be a wrench to go back to growing only frost-hardy plants.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Were y'all aware of this covid vaccine tracker website? According to the site's estimate, California could be at 70% vaccinated with both doses by Nov 20.

Apparently the city of SF is planning to have everyone vaccinated by June 30, does anyone know what the goals are for other places in the Bay Area? Not turning up anything on google.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

adoration for none posted:

Were y'all aware of this covid vaccine tracker website? According to the site's estimate, California could be at 70% vaccinated with both doses by Nov 20.

Apparently the city of SF is planning to have everyone vaccinated by June 30, does anyone know what the goals are for other places in the Bay Area? Not turning up anything on google.

My county has no dates for anything after Tier 1-C, and they're at least two months behind schedule on that one. The only other thing I have to work off of is an internal e-mail from my (seriously large) company's health department that based on communications with bay area counties, they're not expecting my category to start getting vaccinated until at least September.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm in Santa Clara county and there's a vaccine tracker specifically for us, but there are no estimates or anything. About 10 days ago when I found this and posted it to my friends on facebook, the numbers, from what I can remember, were about 12k administered for Kaiser and 7k administered for Palo Alto Medical Foundation. Now the numbers are about 20k and 17k respectively. Back then PAMF reported no second doses and Kaiser reported some low number I can't remember. So yeah, not making great strides here. I have a friend at Valley Medical who got both of her doses already, second dose was last week (it being sunday today, start of the week). The lady who runs a restaurant close by to me is about 80, she told me when I got a burger a couple of weeks ago that she's been trying to get a vaccine and no luck so far.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I heard the signup from Stanford works well for people 65+ to get an appointment, even if you are not actually a Stanford health member, at least that is what I heard from a coworker who got their parents signed up.

https://stanfordhealthcare.org/discover/covid-19-resource-center/patient-care/safety-health-vaccine-planning.html

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 1, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

FilthyImp posted:

* When San Francisco started granting same-sex marriage licenses at the behest of mayor Gavin Newsom, the governor ordered state attorney general Bill Lockyer to intervene in the matter and vetoed legislation that would have legalized same-sex marriage.

Gay marriage, no way that would get tied up in courts or whatever. Totally good use of state resources to keep the gays out of marriage. (For what it's worth, Arnold did not pursue further appeals when it was clear the tide was turning)
You realize Bill Lockyer was a Democrat? Whether or not you like it, Newsom was being The Progressive Kim Davis and deciding that law (Prop 22, in this case) did not apply to the city if they didn't like it.

Also, Schwarzenegger's redistricting is one of the few redistricting plans that has worked reasonably well. California was deadlocked with three or fewer safe seats because the Democrats are a sucker for taking responsibility for power and Republicans don't actually want the repsonsibility and just want to block the supermajority needed to raise taxes.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Craptacular! posted:

Whether or not you like it, Newsom was being The Progressive Kim Davis and deciding that law (Prop 22, in this case) did not apply to the city if they didn't like it.
Yes, much like civil rights activists performing sit-ins were simply deciding that laws don't apply to them "if they don't like them". How dare they!

Breaking the law to give people civil rights, and breaking the law to deny people civil rights, are not morally equivalent actions.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cicero posted:

Yes, much like civil rights activists performing sit-ins were simply deciding that laws don't apply to them "if they don't like them". How dare they!

Breaking the law to give people civil rights, and breaking the law to deny people civil rights, are not morally equivalent actions.

they are if your only morality comes from the legal system.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cicero posted:

But you're comparing people taking a stand in their own names to using the power of an actual government body. Legislative chambers are where people try to hammer out a more ethically fair society, and the government does what the law says without a hint of moral agency. What Arnold did was basically fire a memo to the AG's office saying, "get the court to stop dragging their feet" on a legal challenge from an interest group. Lockyer is independently elected and AGs are separate from their governors, and Lockyer was not the one in court challenging San Francisco. What Schwarzenegger did was the very least he can do while reiterating that cities have to follow state law. People exaggerate it like he was basically sending in the National Guard to break up weddings when all he did was send a directive to an office that is free to ignore it.

It's weirder to discuss this stuff in this era when abuse of power and "because the head person elected feels like it no matter what the law says" has been so normalized.

City agencies don't have judicial power over the state. They don't have legislative power over the state. Both judicial and legislative branches are in full power to change laws. There's only one branch that does not.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 1, 2021

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img
]
Clapping Larry
Goons, I’ve been trying to help my 80-year old mom get an appointment to be vaccinated. She lives in Sacramento County, and is a Kaiser member. I log onto her account everyday to look for any updates. A couple of days ago got an email from the ceo stating there are over 9 million members in CA and they’ve received only 300,000 doses to date (lol). I’ve registered for updates from the county and also from Safeway, Walgreens, and CVS. Her friends have been called for appointments to get vaccinated by Sutter Health. I guess it sucks to by a Kaiser subscriber now?

I live in Contra Costa County, and I know many old people that have been contacted by John Muir to get their shots.

Is there anything else I should be doing to help her get the vaccines sooner?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Kaiser is a very online business, and if your Mom has a name/password for doctor emails, online appointment scheduling, etc you can check her status by logging in here.

In my mother's case, "We aren't able to offer you a vaccine appointment yet. Check back here weekly." So yes, Sutter is vaccinating patients while Kaiser is only vaccinating their own staff unless a senior patient is long-term care or essential worker.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 1, 2021

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

punchbuggy posted:

Goons, I’ve been trying to help my 80-year old mom get an appointment to be vaccinated. She lives in Sacramento County, and is a Kaiser member. I log onto her account everyday to look for any updates. A couple of days ago got an email from the ceo stating there are over 9 million members in CA and they’ve received only 300,000 doses to date (lol). I’ve registered for updates from the county and also from Safeway, Walgreens, and CVS. Her friends have been called for appointments to get vaccinated by Sutter Health. I guess it sucks to by a Kaiser subscriber now?

I live in Contra Costa County, and I know many old people that have been contacted by John Muir to get their shots.

A bunch of people I know have just shown up to a vaccination site at the end of the day and gotten a shot because there was leftover medicine from Californians being flaky and not showing up their appointments.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

punchbuggy posted:

My aunt called into the health dept in Madera county for my Grandma (Also in her 80s), and she got an appointment in about a week and a half. She got her first shot last week iirc. Went to clinic at uh... I guess it was Camarena Health? Supposedly according to the website they've now reached capacity, but might try checking back daily not just with Kaiser but with your county/city health dept as well (whatever covid vaccination website they have setup).

Sidenote: I've often heard the covid vaccine is to be "free" but if you have insurance your insurance will be charged; I have no idea how that works with a HMO like Kaiser.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 1, 2021

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
]
Clapping Larry

Craptacular! posted:

Kaiser is a very online business, and if your Mom has a name/password for doctor emails, online appointment scheduling, etc you can check her status by logging in here.

In my mother's case, "We aren't able to offer you a vaccine appointment yet. Check back here weekly." So yes, Sutter is vaccinating patients while Kaiser is only vaccinating their own staff unless a senior patient is long-term care or essential worker.

Thanks. My mom is not a native english speaker, so I manage all her appointments & med refills via the kaiser website. I’ve been seeing the same message your mother gets everyday I log onto her account, too. All her old Asian friends are calling her and telling her they have been contacted to receive their shots, so she’s a bit 🥺.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kaiser sucks rear end

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Kaiser sucks rear end
As Craptacular put it, they are a very online company. This translates into them stripping the human element out of every service they offer.

I chose to pay out of pocket for therapy because trying to go to therapy through kaiser causes more stress than it resolves.

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
]
Clapping Larry
Thanks. Any information about what’s going on in Sac county will be greatly appreciated. So much variance among the different counties...

My mom is one of those super healthy old people. Eighty-six years old, lives independently, walks 30 minutes everyday, works in her big garden. She mostly stays home, and wears a mask when she has to go anywhere. Takes visitors outside or in the garage, masks always on and spaced apart. I just did my daily phone check-in, and she told me that she survived Battle of Okinawa so wearing a mask and waiting a few more months is no big deal. She is awesome, and I want her to get vaccinated soon!

punchbuggy fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 1, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

eSporks posted:

As Craptacular put it, they are a very online company. This translates into them stripping the human element out of every service they offer.

They have this reputation, but the upshot of it is that if you need something done and don't mind being treated like a number, it's usually done. New hip? No problem, just get in line.

There's no Kaiser near me, but I changed doctors to a firm that has an app and email after an experience of 4 days' phone tag with the office to get a very simple prescription. If I had Kaiser that poo poo would have taken 48 hours max and one request.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FilthyImp posted:

Kaiser sucks rear end

My experience with them has been the opposite, honestly. I'm not saying they don't suck in the aggregate, but they haven't sucked for me yet.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

They have this reputation, but the upshot of it is that if you need something done and don't mind being treated like a number, it's usually done. New hip? No problem, just get in line.

There's no Kaiser near me, but I changed doctors to a firm that has an app and email after an experience of 4 days' phone tag with the office to get a very simple prescription. If I had Kaiser that poo poo would have taken 48 hours max and one request.
Yea... Not my experience.
They refused to diagnose my PCL tear and left me partially crippled for 2 years. When I switched to sutter the surgeon laughed at how bad the kaiser MRI was.

They are both an insurance provider, and care provider. You are just a number, and they have an active incentive not to treat.
I do hear they better with elderly care and preventative medicine, but when it comes to needing treatment getting them to do anything is impossible and involves tons of hidden fees.

My first therapy appointment cost me $300 just to get a referral to make an appointment.

They are just pure trash.

I'm leaving the Sac area soon, but I can try to find some info for you.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
Yeah, IIRC Kaiser mental health services are so severely understaffed that the mental health professionals went on strike multiple times to protest. There were cases of people having to wait two months between appointments and getting pressure to have very short appointments too. They've gotten fined by state regulators before for having such poor access.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

punchbuggy posted:

Thanks. Any information about what’s going on in Sac county will be greatly appreciated. So much variance among the different counties...

My mom is one of those super healthy old people. Eighty-six years old, lives independently, walks 30 minutes everyday, works in her big garden. She mostly stays home, and wears a mask when she has to go anywhere. Takes visitors outside or in the garage, masks always on and spaced apart. I just did my daily phone check-in, and she told me that she survived Battle of Okinawa so wearing a mask and waiting a few more months is no big deal. She is awesome, and I want her to get vaccinated soon!

My 80-year-old grandmother is waiting for Kaiser in Sac county as well and hasn't heard jack. She survived the bombing of Tokyo and--- wait why do I get the feeling they know each other. Your mom wouldn't happen to have a thing for bowling would she?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Class Warcraft posted:

A bunch of people I know have just shown up to a vaccination site at the end of the day and gotten a shot because there was leftover medicine from Californians being flaky and not showing up their appointments.

I'd be grateful to know what companies / organizations have this policy, especially in the Sacramento area. I've been digging around for a place that will do this for a while now, but none of the facilities I've spoken with will admit to giving out unclaimed doses, and are claiming 100% takeup rates - which is ridiculous, obviously, but I understand why they're not admitting to having doses going to waste to some rando on the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
As soon as it became clear that doses could expire, the official strategy should have become "show up at 4 and take a number to get on standby" ffs