Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Donuts are extremely substantial

that's just a famous donut shop in LA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Like the three different Stark suits aren't constantly streaming video to the cloud?

There was no fewer than four at the final battle!

Iron Man
War Machine
Rescue
Spider-Man

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

There was no fewer than four at the final battle!

Iron Man
War Machine
Rescue
Spider-Man

I kinda assume the War Machine suit doesn't have any cameras for plausible deniability reasons.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Donuts are extremely substantial

This is clearly a mars attacks reference

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Shageletic posted:

Like this is way too much bad comic books to me. Why complicate a thing this much?
I posted some rationales for this in the TVIV thread, but honestly the biggest clue to me is that they are trying really hard to sell us on Wanda as a villain here, which certainly makes sense for people who read the comics or have even a casual knowledge of Scarlet Witch...which means that there's gonna be a swerve coming. Like, the very fact that the SWORD guy is being so aggro about this makes it very sus. It's just TV logic. v:shobon:v

At the very least, I think it's same to assume that Wanda has been genuinely surprised by a lot of things that have happened here and isn't as in control as it might seem, which isn't far off from presuming someone else might be in control.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

BrianWilly posted:

...Like, the very fact that the SWORD guy is being so aggro about this makes it very sus. It's just TV logic. v:shobon:v else

Yeah my partner was immediately like "gently caress this guy he's the villain" because he's so White Guy in a Suit with Power, it's a classic/real life.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The big tell that Wanda isn't doing this is right in her stated backstory in that episode. She was born in '89, and was a radicalized child soldier war orphan by 10. She has never seen any of these sitcoms she's emulating perfectly. Someone else is doing it and they have a weird sense of humor.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Until we find out that this is what she and Vision did while under house arrest or on the run, something that represents the time they fell in love and everything was right.

Either that or Sokovia being an eastern European country is stuck with outdated American reruns, also like in real life I think.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

You know, between this episode and last episode I just had a thought: since we saw dead Vision last episode briefly, and she stole his body...she didn't "resurrect" him at all and is instead sockpuppeting his corpse

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

theironjef posted:

The big tell that Wanda isn't doing this is right in her stated backstory in that episode. She was born in '89, and was a radicalized child soldier war orphan by 10. She has never seen any of these sitcoms she's emulating perfectly. Someone else is doing it and they have a weird sense of humor.

I think the best tell is generic white guy in a suit is suddenly like "oh hey now I can show you this footage of her stealing Vision's body. It's like, ok dude, you showed me a really truncated clip and are being really aggro about her early mistakes and not the later incredible poo poo she did. Dude is evil.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Skwirl posted:

there was an interview on like Conan or Jimmy Kimmel or something where they had the AOS cast and the Avengers cast (the two best Chris's and RDJ plus Ruffalo and Don Cheadle) at the same time and the AOS cast was like "Hey RDJ, when are you gonna have a cameo on our show" and his response was "well, no one has actually asked me to yet, but it's something I'd definitely like to do" and they scream back "we're asking you, please" then they had 4-6 more seasons and no RDJ cameo.

AOS probably would have maintained tighter continuity with the films if the 2015 Feige/Perlmutter split hadn't happened, but I don't exactly think appearances by actual Avengers were ever in the cards.

How they even managed to get SLJ in the first season, I have no idea.

anyway, my favorite incident along these lines was in 2015 when Joss Whedon was doing the press tour for AoU and was a little too candid about AoS, more or less admitting that Feige et al. wanted Coulson to stay dead and didn't consider the show to fully be part of their continuity, and then attempted to cover his rear end after causing bad PR for his brother and sister-in-law (the showrunners of AoS) by tweeting a hilariously amateurish meme that had Coulson saying something like "don't worry, Avengers, I know you guys have a plan for me and I'll be there when you need me!" wish I could find it

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 6, 2021

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mikeraskol posted:

I really like WandaVision.

I don't really have anything substantively to add other than Hahn is clearly the villain, right? She shows up with a dog house 3 seconds after they get a dog? She's the one who finds the dog dead? Completely unperturbed by the kids aging up? Randomly acts like "hey should I start again from the top" to make Vision suspect something? There's some shady poo poo going on there. Also did not see the Fox X-Men Quicksilver thing coming at all.

I'm getting that vibe for sure. If not then definitely an important henchperson. If Mephisto is involved and this is all a monkey's paw wish type of thing going on, she could be there to keep things on track. That would explain her "start again from the top", more to reset things and less of trying to make Vision suspicious.

Of the 4 ads shown so far, 3 for sure represent traumatic influences/events in Wanda's life. Strucker watches - referencing Strucker who experimented and brainwashed Wanda and Pietro. Hydra Wash = self explanatory. Lagos Paper Towels = Lagos, the city where Wanda inadvertently redirected an explosion into a populated building. I wonder if she's as much a prisoner as everyone else and the ads reflect her desperation/cry for help. I still haven't figured out where the Stark Industries toaster fits in, but the model has a real worried look on her face as the toaster counts down.

E:right. Stark weaponry killed her father. Forgot about that.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 6, 2021

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

BrianWilly posted:

I posted some rationales for this in the TVIV thread, but honestly the biggest clue to me is that they are trying really hard to sell us on Wanda as a villain here, which certainly makes sense for people who read the comics or have even a casual knowledge of Scarlet Witch...which means that there's gonna be a swerve coming. Like, the very fact that the SWORD guy is being so aggro about this makes it very sus. It's just TV logic. v:shobon:v

At the very least, I think it's same to assume that Wanda has been genuinely surprised by a lot of things that have happened here and isn't as in control as it might seem, which isn't far off from presuming someone else might be in control.

she literally says just before the doorbell rings that she doesn't know how Westview got started in the first place

which could be her lying or repressing memories, but i didn't take it that way, especially with her (seemingly) genuinely shocked to see Pietro

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

You know, between this episode and last episode I just had a thought: since we saw dead Vision last episode briefly, and she stole his body...she didn't "resurrect" him at all and is instead sockpuppeting his corpse
it seems like Vision is very much sentient rather than a puppet of Wanda, but I think the implication is that his life(?) is tethered to Westview and he can't leave

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 6, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Okay, I'm going to be a little all over the place because god drat was that an episode, but I want to say this first:

I am putting all my metaphorical chips on "Wanda isn't the baddie", as of this episode. There's a lot of reasons that I will babble about more in spoiler tags, but the simplest and most meta one is this: the answer they give you in episode 5 of a 9 part mystery is not the answer. Okay then:

Everything about Wanda's appearance outside Westview is wrong. The accent is wrong, the attitude is wrong, her too-showy costume is wrong. We don't see her exit or enter from the Westview side. I don't believe she would just walk away and leave her kids alone. That was not Wanda. If I had to bet further, I'd bet that was Agnes -- who may be a Wanda, I'm starting to wonder about that, but is not our Wanda.

Wanda is clearly not in control of everything. I believe her when she said Quicksilver's appearance was not her doing. She visibly had no idea what the "for the children" stuff was all about. Her powers don't work on the kids. And, incidentally, in an episode where "Wanda and the things she is and is not in control of" was the driving theme, her explicitly saying "I can't control you" to the kids is a massively important line.

In a very, very loud episode, I found a particular bit of silence to be deafening. Nobody outside even mentions Agnes, let alone that they haven't ID'd her. After debriefing Monica? Really? They've got firsthand testimony now to Agnes being the most important supporting character in the "show", that she's Wanda's next-door neighbor, that she knows everything and is involved in every plot, and nobody finds it odd that they don't know who she is?

Oh hey, and on that note -- Agnes is seemingly aware of the sitcom nature of the world. Wanda no longer feels any need to hide her powers or any other strange occurances, like the kids being able to age themselves up at will, from Agnes. Vision has twigged to Agnes' omnipresence and can predict that she'll come in already knowing what's going on and with just the item they need. And, in what I think is another moment conciously designed to get lost amid the thunderclap of the ending, when the kids broach the topic of "can Wanda's powers resurrect the dead" with her, Agnes is there, and she's very, very interested in hearing the answer.

I don't think Wanda's doing this. Her rejoinder that she's in no way capable of puppeting around 3200-odd people to keep them all going about their daily schedule gets no answer and I think it demands one if you're going to put the blame on her. I think Vision has basically the right of it -- she figured out what was going on much faster than he did and she's been taking advantage. But she's not the prime mover.

The reason the CAT scan and blood work weren't returning results on Monica is that she has Photon powers now. Bet you.

The Quicksilver thing is so big I don't have any guesses, I'm just going to wait and see where that one goes. But one question: did he ever answer to "Pietro" in the X-Men movies? Wasn't he Peter in those?

mikeraskol posted:

I think the best tell is generic white guy in a suit is suddenly like "oh hey now I can show you this footage of her stealing Vision's body. It's like, ok dude, you showed me a really truncated clip and are being really aggro about her early mistakes and not the later incredible poo poo she did. Dude is evil.
Oh yeah. That dude's evil. He wasted no stops at "well maybe he's just misguided" or "a bit obstructionist" or "opposed to our heroes but still well meaning", he ran that train on the express straight to I Am One Of The Baddies. Having Monica-as-Geraldine in full jive mode queued up and playing it to disparage her in the meeting? Priiiiiiiiiiiiick.

site posted:

Also the baby pictures of vision were hilarious
They were, but on the other hand, such such a missed opportunity to have, like pictures of binary code or circuits or something. Or Ultron! That would've been neat!

Also, I'm pretty sure it was a red herring, but having a dog named Sparky die after eating poisonous leaves was loving deliberate. I see you over there being cute, Marvel Studios!

Also also, anyone else get major Too Many Cooks vibes when Vision just ignored the rolling credits and kept arguing right through them?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've seen anyone else mention it but I think the machine (X-ray?) that they're testing on Monica producing a blank image might be a sign that this is her power origin and now she's basically pure energy in a human suit like comic Monica.

Gavok posted:

"Stop LYING TO ME!!" is a killer line read.

That whole scene was great

"Before what? BEFORE WHAT?"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I don't think SWORD guy is a 'villain' or behind anything. I think he's a red herring at best.

I honestly think he's just a guy that's watched a lot of poo poo happening over the past several years, what with Sokovia and the Civil War and the Snap and the final battle against Thanos. He's seeing Wanda and Westview and thinking to himself 'oh my god we can't have another disaster especially so soon after all this other poo poo' and is overreacting and doing whatever he can to handle the situation.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

For me the biggest tell that Wanda isn't the main force behind everything is that we're only halfway through the series. If the big twist is that a hero pulled a heel turn you don't push that out in episode 4.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I'm still mindbent by how Agnes has started acting now that Wanda isn't afraid to use her powers any more. She's acting like she's scared of Wanda. The whole "You want to take it from the top?" thing has her bent down head to the floor in some extreme "Please do not attack me, alpha chimp" posture, and then later she's straight up hiding in the bushes. Regarding the first one, I'm wondering if she's also fully aware that Wanda can do those cut things where she just starts a scene over. Apparently so. Man if she's a bystander in this she's got it worse than anyone because someone keeps forcing her to go right back in there with props.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

TwoPair posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone else mention it but I think the machine (X-ray?) that they're testing on Monica producing a blank image might be a sign that this is her power origin and now she's basically pure energy in a human suit like comic Monica.

That whole scene was great

"Before what? BEFORE WHAT?"

I've been wondering about that also but what would have caused her to get powers?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kingtheninja posted:

I've been wondering about that also but what would have caused her to get powers?

Interacting with Wanda and getting blasted through the barrier, similar to how the clothes became bulletproof, would be my guess.

Between the TV motif and the Evan Peters thing I've decided this whole show is just to introduce Mojo and I'm going to stick with that.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

Could have brought them back from being dusted maybe.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I can't believe the MCU managed to make me care about Wanda and Vision, two characters that I've found boring as hell since high school.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

Interacting with Wanda and getting blasted through the barrier, similar to how the clothes became bulletproof, would be my guess.

Between the TV motif and the Evan Peters thing I've decided this whole show is just to introduce Mojo and I'm going to stick with that.

The clothes were bulletproof before she entered the Hex, it’s bulletproof Sword clothing. The point of that scene was to emphasize that her groovy 70s clothes were the same ones she had gone into the Hex with. Wanda completely transformed them, it wasn’t an illusion and it wasn’t new clothes. Essentially Wanda can shift matter and what’s happening in the hex is real.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

I mean Wanda's only one degree of separation away from an infinity stone, so just getting hit by that blast from her plus if you throw in whatever whammy reveal that the real big bad is gonna be, that's enough ill-defined radiation poo poo, right?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 6, 2021

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Kingtheninja posted:

In Captain Marvel doesn’t she literally say something along the lines of “Wow your kid has some real power I can sense it on her.”?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

TwoPair posted:

Okay fine our posts were one minute apart, you probably were writing yours at the same time. So I will just say :hfive:, Monica Has Powers Now buddy

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
I don’t think the SWORD guy is a “big bad” he’s just a typical shoot first G-man rear end in a top hat. They were clearly loving with Vision’s body against his wishes stated in his will and Wanda’s attack was likely justified. My guess is he’ll probably die due to his own reckless attack on Wanda or be replaced by Monica by the end of the show. As for whether Wanda is in control or not: I think it’s definitely her power and her subconscious desires and grief helping fuel the situation but there are clearly other forces at work manipulating or nudging her. I really don’t think it’s going to be as crazy as Mephisto. But we’ll see! Really loving this show and excited how it will pan out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kingtheninja posted:

"Being surrounded by reality warping power while passing through a hard light force field" sounds like just the right type of power giving gobbledygook to me

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, I'm going to be a little all over the place because god drat was that an episode, but I want to say this first:

Everything about Wanda's appearance outside Westview is wrong. The accent is wrong, the attitude is wrong, her too-showy costume is wrong. We don't see her exit or enter from the Westview side. I don't believe she would just walk away and leave her kids alone. That was not Wanda. If I had to bet further, I'd bet that was Agnes -- who may be a Wanda, I'm starting to wonder about that, but is not our Wanda.

I think I disagree on this take. I think that absolutely was "our" or the REAL Wanda. The spy drone turned attempted missile strike was an interpreted threat against her family and forced her to break out of her happy guilt free fantasy and into the real world and she was clearly NOT happy about it. That's why she walks out of Westview in full on Avengers mode with her accent returned. SWORD made her rip the band aid off and return to the real world. She is definitely doing all this, but someone had to plant the seed. Also, where did all this god level top tier power come from? Endgame had her no selling Thanos, but she was still just using the TK and hex related stuff. This reality warping in that scenario would have shut the fight down super quick yeah?

She's definitely doing it is my take, but is possibly not entirely in control or is being driven to it by someone else.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Jagermonster posted:

I don’t think the SWORD guy is a “big bad” he’s just a typical shoot first G-man rear end in a top hat. They were clearly loving with Vision’s body against his wishes stated in his will and Wanda’s attack was likely justified. My guess is he’ll probably die due to his own reckless attack on Wanda or be replaced by Monica by the end of the show. As for whether Wanda is in control or not: I think it’s definitely her power and her subconscious desires and grief helping fuel the situation but there are clearly other forces at work manipulating or nudging her. I really don’t think it’s going to be as crazy as Mephisto. But we’ll see! Really loving this show and excited how it will pan out.

Agree that Wanda’s powers, but someone else is nudging things in the direction they want. “For the children” and then she had kids, then the dog resulting in X-Men Pietro (though maybe they were trying to get her to resurrect someone). Someone has a weird motive here.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Yeah it's totally possible that the Hex field was secretly created by SWORD and Agnes is just a regular person who upon seeing a resurrected Vision realized she could steer her towards resurrecting her husband Ralph or whatever but I can't help but think something bigger is happening.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

theironjef posted:

I'm still mindbent by how Agnes has started acting now that Wanda isn't afraid to use her powers any more. She's acting like she's scared of Wanda. The whole "You want to take it from the top?" thing has her bent down head to the floor in some extreme "Please do not attack me, alpha chimp" posture, and then later she's straight up hiding in the bushes. Regarding the first one, I'm wondering if she's also fully aware that Wanda can do those cut things where she just starts a scene over. Apparently so. Man if she's a bystander in this she's got it worse than anyone because someone keeps forcing her to go right back in there with props.

Good point,she might have carried that doghouse in 50-100 times,the people in the office can’t move from their seats,that guy might have choked to death over and over before wanda changed something.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This is probably a huge stretch but I can’t get over how much the SWORD symbol looks like an upside down cross.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah it's clear now why both Bettany and Olsen seem genuinely excited during press for this and not the usual level of canned response fake enthusiastic.

Got any good examples? I dont to wade thru too much entertainment news detritus.

Found that vid of Olsen wishing she could be in a House of M storyline tho lol: https://youtu.be/cFbcuZZGdgA

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Eh, too twisty to me. That sounds like Lost TV logic, which alot of posters here love, outguessing a mystery box type shows turns and reveals.

Which is cool. But right now I'm luxiriating in a frankly amazing depiction of denial and the American quest for the suburban ideal twisted thru its most powerful weapon, the stultifying depiction of American media.

Its really smart poo poo, and Wanda allowing it to happen tells us so much about its power, and its paper thin ability to hold back real traumatic pain and grief.

The acting, my god.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wandavision is giving me the same kind of "oh my God are they going to do this" rush that the build-up to Avengers/Infinity War had. They're really knocking it out of the park.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Got any good examples? I dont to wade thru too much entertainment news detritus.

Found that vid of Olsen wishing she could be in a House of M storyline tho lol: https://youtu.be/cFbcuZZGdgA

Nothing specific, I watch a lot of late night interviewy kinda poo poo while I work and they just struck me as a little more excited than most. The press cycle has been going for this show for possibly over a year now and at first I kinda brushed it off as overzealous compensation for getting relegated to a silly tv show but it really is a wide ranging actor driven experimental show so I get it now.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Shageletic posted:

Eh, too twisty to me. That sounds like Lost TV logic, which alot of posters here love, outguessing a mystery box type shows turns and reveals.

Which is cool. But right now I'm luxiriating in a frankly amazing depiction of denial and the American quest for the suburban ideal twisted thru its most powerful weapon, the stultifying depiction of American media.

Its really smart poo poo, and Wanda allowing it to happen tells us so much about its power, and its paper thin ability to hold back real traumatic pain and grief.

Exactly. Denial is a terrifying beast and that "How dare you not believe me" take hit unsettlingly close to home. Or another thing, when we got the brief blip with Vision's corpse-face showing up, that didn't come across to me as an indication that he's not really alive, but rather, something more like a PTSD flashback. Wanda's having a harder and harder time clinging to her fantasy and pretending the trauma doesn't exist. Obviously, normally a PTSD flashback would only exist within the sufferer's head, and we wouldn't also see it, but because of her powers, when she starts losing grips on reality that actually rewrites what reality is.

This whole episode was just ten times more disturbing than anything previous. Some of that is obvious, but somehow even the intro was deeply affecting. Just terribly tragic and upsetting to get such a stark depiction of what grief looks like through the mind of the griever, what Wanda feels as though she's lost, all the hopes and dreams that might offer relief, with the underlying knowledge that they can never, ever happen. Her world is ruined and everyone she loves is gone and the only comfort are the twisted lies she tells herself that things will be ok, but really, they won't.

was that too dark lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe it's a symptom of a low bar but "YOU DON'T GET TO MAKE THAT CHOICE FOR ME, WANDA" is gonna be a line, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The show is getting crazy.