Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Mentioning David Paulides will probably set off a figurative avalanche of very bad unfunny joke posts so I’ll just do one to get the reddit out of everyone’s system: “he forgot the reptilian illuminati space nazi connection, lol”

With that out of the way, try listening to one of the interviews he’s given on missing persons in national parks and the individual cases he mentions. Before/without listening you might say, “well clearly it was x” except these are instances where hundreds of park rangers and often military are called in for search and rescue and they find no trace of the person- and often, if or when they are located, it’s in a place that’s already been searched, and if they’re alive they have no memory of where they were or what happened to them.

I encourage skepticism, but bear in mind the circumstances of the disappearances (as well as the actual park and police investigations on the ground) have already ruled out whatever mundane conclusion you’ve come to. For every missing person he mentions, look them up- they’re all real and they’ve all undergone rigorous investigation, often including the FBI due to the federal jurisdiction over Indian Reservations that are adjacent to a lot of the parks with a high number of disappearances. These are the best investigators in the country. The point is there isn’t a blanket explanation (“crazy hillbillies”, serial killers, got lost, eaten by mountain lions, drowned)- because all of those things do happen and by the product of law enforcement investigation, these cases are expressly not the result of any of those.

The existence of “Bigfoot” is speculative at best and the first page of the ‘hunting squatch’ thread encapsulates the moronic culture around it pretty well. That’s not the thing to fixate on because there is as much proof for the existence of bigfoot as there is for the existence of god :rolleye: and nobody looking for bigfoot is going to find one.

The real question is, what’s happening to these people and why? One person you can just say huh, that’s weird, but actual hundreds of them? In the same areas under similar circumstances over a long period of time? That indicates a danger that is specific, situational, geographical, and most alarmingly, persistent. What does the park service know about this vs what they are willing to tell us? If it is as you think a killer in the woods... shouldn’t they be trying to catch him?

I honestly can't tell if you're saying Bigfoot is disappearing and memory wiping tourists or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I find the Missing 411 stuff and David Paulides to be interesting, but beyond presenting individual cases, it's hard to draw any conclusions from his stuff other than "nature is dangerous"

I mean, he's pretty clearly angling towards some kind of "falls into a portal to somewhere or somewhen else" explanation, but is real coy about ever saying exactly what he thinks. On the other side, he presents some disappearances that are legit loving baffling, even the ones that don't explicitly feature missing time or mysterious reappearances where searchers had looked for days.

That said, I think folks overestimate just how thorough wilderness searches can be. To take a case that isn't at all mysterious, though it is tragic, take the Bear Brook Murders. In 1985, the bodies of two murder victims were discovered in a barrel in Bear Brook State Park.

A detailed search of the area was conducted after the discovery of one barrel but somehow managed to miss a second barrel less than a mile away that also contained bodies. Said barrel sat for 15 more years before being discovered, despite investigators being positive that they were both dumped before the 1985 discovery. The second barrel was hidden, in that it wasn't just sitting out in the open, but it wasn't like buried or anything. When it was found, everyone basically said "how the hell did we miss that?!"

While I'm the first to point out cops being lazy and not searching or other kinds of malfeasance, that doesn't seem to be the case here. Just somehow literally hundreds of people went out searching the woods after a body is found in a 55 gallon drum and somehow overlooked a second drum right nearby. It really makes me wonder how many bodies the search teams literally walk right past because of some quirk of geography or something else equally mundane.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Outrail posted:

I'm talking more about the potential for some creep to keep taking people and having a huge list of 'missing, presumed lost'.
Nah. Going into Yosemite (for instance) takes effort, and finding victims who won't be missed for a long time is even harder. Hiking into the back country and hoping to find another hiker? Better to grab somebody at a well-populated site and (one solution) dump them a mile from the highway. Unfortunately, it's very well documented that the cops don't care what happens to sex workers, homeless people, and transients.

Disclaimer: I am not a serial killer and do not spend time figuring how best to dispose of the bodies of my enemies. Because I'm disabled and would need help lifting them.

I recommend Death in Yosemite, if you're curious.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

hemale in pain posted:

I feel like this has to be such a remote possibility that it's not worth worrying about and travelling with a friend would cut the risk down to basically zero.

So what you're saying is nobody would suspect a thing...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nah. Going into Yosemite (for instance) takes effort, and finding victims who won't be missed for a long time is even harder. Hiking into the back country and hoping to find another hiker? Better to grab somebody at a well-populated site and (one solution) dump them a mile from the highway. Unfortunately, it's very well documented that the cops don't care what happens to sex workers, homeless people, and transients.

Disclaimer: I am not a serial killer and do not spend time figuring how best to dispose of the bodies of my enemies. Because I'm disabled and would need help lifting them.

I recommend Death in Yosemite, if you're curious.

There's a Highway in BC that's basically famous for being the place to pick up women and murder them.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

or get gored by a bison because you were being an idiot.

I might have told this before, but when I was a kid we were visiting family in Montana. The local news was doing a story about a bison incident in Yellowstone. My aunt couldn't hear it well from the kitchen so she yelled out to her husband, "What happened?" He answered, "Another goddamned tourist tried to pet the buffalo."

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 9, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Azathoth posted:

It really makes me wonder how many bodies the search teams literally walk right past because of some quirk of geography or something else equally mundane.

It also works in reverse.

Geraldine Largay stepped off the Appalachian Trail in Maine and got turned around.

She kept a journal. She was lost for twenty‐six days before succumbing to the elements. She was only six hundred yards from the trail. Searchers with dogs came within a hundred yards of her campsite without finding her.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 8, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Azathoth posted:

It really makes me wonder how many bodies the search teams literally walk right past because of some quirk of geography or something else equally mundane.

I've spent some time hiking in Yosemite, and some other big parks in california and elsewhere, and it's 100% this. Search & rescue for an alive human relies heavily on that human hearing people nearby and responding, or lighting a fire, or staying right on a trail. You can walk 20 feet off of a well-traveled trail and completely disappear from view. And when people are searching a large area of dozens (or worse, hundreds) of square miles, they cannot look under every rock and behind every tree. Sight lines can be severely restricted. And flights overhead aren't great either, you can miss someone because they're in shadow, or there's any kind of foliage, or just because the angle you flew past was slightly wrong.

And, bodies do not always last long in the wilderness. Once someone dies in a place where there's coyotes, bears, mountain lions, or even just like foxes, their remains can be scattered. If they're in a spot with some slope, they can be tumbled downhill mixed with dead leaves and eroding earth. Bones exposed to weather that includes rain and snow decay, they don't just bleach and turn into perfect white skeletons like you might see in the desert.

People disappear into yosemite because it's huge, the terrain is extremely severe, there are active predators and scavenger animals, there's lots of trees, lots of weather including dozens of feet of snow in the winter, and it's impossible for S&R people to explore every nook and cranny.

And it's an incredibly popular park that in non-covid times attracts around 4.5 million visitors annually. If even 0.001% of those visitors do something stupid enough to maybe die off-trail, that amounts to 45 idiots a year. And based on my own experiences in the park, the rate at which people do stupid poo poo off-trail is probably more like .01%. At least. And that's only that low because the large majority of Yosemite visitors drive into the valley, walk on paved trails for a while, and then drive home.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It also works in reverse, too.

Geraldine Largay stepped off the Appalachian Trail in Maine and got turned around.

She kept a journal. She was lost for twenty‐six days before succumbing to the elements. She was only six hundred yards from the trail. Searchers with dogs came within a hundred yards of her campsite without finding her.

Yeah that story I've read about a few times and it's fascinating. She believed she was doing the right thing, staying in place, that's what people used to always say: wait to be rescued, stay in one spot. And she was drinking untreated water and suffering from severe intestinal distress. But even so, if she'd simply spent some time over the first week of her isolation walking straight away from her camp and then straight back, learning the area, becoming more familiar with her surroundings, she very likely would have eventually found the trail again. Her decision to hike alone wasn't that absurd given how heavily-traveled the AT is, but she compounded errors by getting lost and then spent a month dying 600 yards from help and the remains of her camp weren't found for years.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

K2 wants to kill you, but Yosemite doesn't at all mind killing you.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I guy I knew crashed his plane near Revelstoke BC a few years back. They knew he crashed somewhere around Revelstoke, knew when he crashed but they didn't find the plane for another year after the crash despite it being maybe 50-75m away from a well travelled highway. They had planes scouring the area and all kinds of search parties but they were obviously too late. Searches in the wilderness are loving tough especially in a treed area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMA2iF6RuXk

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Scent dogs are better at finding people than people are admittedly, but “didn’t look hard enough” is expressly ruled out in these instances. The fact that a lot of them turn up in an area that’s already been searched doesn’t necessarily mean the second or third search was more thorough than the first. It’s as if they go missing then reappear later in a very obvious location, many discovered by air after several previous flyovers of the same area. Most of them still haven’t been found, so some trace of them must still be put there somewhere, right? Boots if nothing else.

I think it is important not to state any one conclusion over the other for the cause of these disappearances, because “it was bigfoot” is equally asinine to the most evidentially inconsistent mundane explanation. It’s a misapplication of Occam’s razor (same as saying the simplest explanation for the moon landings is that they were hoaxes [they were real]). The most important thing is to find a satisfactory answer for each individual disappearance- to say that law enforcement is just screwing up is an easy and uninformed position to take for someone who has no part in the investigation. Police, park rangers, military are not folks who cotton to doubtful hypotheses: they are trained skeptics, and for them to say they don’t know what happened or even have a theory as to what happened is significant.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Bear in mind also the search for a just vanished living child is going to be more thorough than a search for an all but confirmed adult corpse

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I was told that if I ever got lost to go downhill until I find water then follow the water downstream until I hit civilization, but I realize none of that is wise or even followable advice in the big empty parts of the west

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

K2 wants to kill you, but Yosemite doesn't at all mind killing you.

Yosemite I wouldn’t see it coming, apparently. K2 I would deserve it. Everest I would definitely deserve it.

Respect the mountains, folks- these are sacred places not to be mucked around with.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
What I wouldn’t give to have seen the Firefall at Glacier Point when it was a thing, though.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Empty Sandwich posted:

I was told that if I ever got lost to go downhill until I find water then follow the water downstream until I hit civilization, but I realize none of that is wise or even followable advice in the big empty parts of the west

yeah i think this is what happened to that couple that found the PCT hiker exactly one year to the day that he died. they eventually found the waterfall they had been chasing but it was totally impassible

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I know it's not 100% reliable but i don't think there's any excuse not to bring a dedicated GPS unit with you if you go hiking or whatever. Even if you just keep it in the backpack for emergencies and never turn it on I'd think you'd be nuts to go out without one in 2021 when they're so readily available and not very expensive.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Yeah bring a transponder, a gun if you are allowed to have one and are already comfortable and familiar carrying one, and never go hiking alone

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s interesting, while I don’t know anything about the Bill guy I know that region a bit. If you’re not from the Western US or somewhere like South Florida, Australia, Brazil or South Africa where massive totally untamed tracts wilderness with hazards 10000+ foot mountains or nearly impassible swamps is smack up against very populated urban areas flanked by what perceived as very safe and controlled hiking trails it’s hard to grasp just how quickly things can go from “a nice place to walk your dog” to alone and unafraid and soon to be either getting lost, falling to death in the winter or getting heatstroke in the summer.

One day when I went “hiking” (with ice axes and spikes) on mount baldy after a snow storm, 4 people died on the mountain because it’s still perceived as a reasonable hike to do in your skateboard shoes since it’s in the middle of Los Angeles, even though during the winter it can literally be among the deadliest mountains in the world. And even with the gear I had I should have turned back much earlier since we didn’t have ropes and anchors and such.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
If you're into search and rescue stories, some teams like the RMRU have publicly available mission logs. (although a lot of them are pretty short and boring, short and boring is good when the goal is finding people and getting them to safety)

bring a transponder, a gun if you are allowed to have one and are already comfortable and familiar carrying one, and never go hiking alone
Also make sure people not in your group know your plans & when to expect you to return. It sounds basic, but so is 'don't go hiking alone' and a lot of people manage to screw one or both of those up.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I might have told this before, but when I was a kid we were visiting family in Montana. The local news was doing a story about a bison incident. My aunt couldn't hear it well from the kitchen so she yelled out to her husband, "What happened?" He answered, "Another goddamned tourist tried to pet the buffalo."

For that tourist, the day a bison graced them with its horns was the most important day of their lives; for your aunt, it was Tuesday.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

It’s interesting, while I don’t know anything about the Bill guy I know that region a bit. If you’re not from the Western US or somewhere like South Florida, Australia, Brazil or South Africa where massive totally untamed tracts wilderness with hazards 10000+ foot mountains or nearly impassible swamps is smack up against very populated urban areas flanked by what perceived as very safe and controlled hiking trails it’s hard to grasp just how quickly things can go from “a nice place to walk your dog” to alone and unafraid and soon to be either getting lost, falling to death in the winter or getting heatstroke in the summer.

One day when I went “hiking” (with ice axes and spikes) on mount baldy after a snow storm, 4 people died on the mountain because it’s still perceived as a reasonable hike to do in your skateboard shoes since it’s in the middle of Los Angeles, even though during the winter it can literally be among the deadliest mountains in the world. And even with the gear I had I should have turned back much earlier since we didn’t have ropes and anchors and such.
Snowdon is quite good at killing tourists despite being just 1085m up.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
idk seems like jumping at shadows to me. the answer is already contained in the premise. if most are never found, and sometimes it takes several combings over the same area to produce results, it just suggests very obviously that it's difficult to find corpses in national parks.

there is no other answer beyond the mundane. people die - heart attacks, suicide, murder, misadventure - whatever - and finding them is hard. no ulterior forces, no vanishing or reappearing corpses.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Haifisch posted:

If you're into search and rescue stories, some teams like the RMRU have publicly available mission logs. (although a lot of them are pretty short and boring, short and boring is good when the goal is finding people and getting them to safety)

Also make sure people not in your group know your plans & when to expect you to return. It sounds basic, but so is 'don't go hiking alone' and a lot of people manage to screw one or both of those up.

One of the things I always do is leave a little note in my car with my exact plans. Since sometimes you arrive at a place you intend to hike and a lot is full, or there's a little road closure, or whatever and you decide at that moment to like, maybe change to a different trailhead or whatever. I just figure if I go missing, they're going to find my car immediately, and a note on the dash (writing-side down, you have to break glass to get it) that says like "we intend to hike up x trail, stay at y camp area, return on day z, we have 1 extra day of food, we will not voluntarily stay out past such-and-such date no matter what") takes two minutes to jot down and someday might save my life.

That's on top of sending our plans before we head out, to at least two family members. A lot of these wilderness survival/death stories begin with the victim(s) deciding to make a fateful change to their plans that leaves rescuers looking in the wrong place for them. And we've had multiple occasions where circumstances pushed us to make some probably harmless alteration to our original plans.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Leperflesh posted:

One of the things I always do is leave a little note in my car with my exact plans. Since sometimes you arrive at a place you intend to hike and a lot is full, or there's a little road closure, or whatever and you decide at that moment to like, maybe change to a different trailhead or whatever. I just figure if I go missing, they're going to find my car immediately, and a note on the dash (writing-side down, you have to break glass to get it) that says like "we intend to hike up x trail, stay at y camp area, return on day z, we have 1 extra day of food, we will not voluntarily stay out past such-and-such date no matter what") takes two minutes to jot down and someday might save my life.

That's on top of sending our plans before we head out, to at least two family members. A lot of these wilderness survival/death stories begin with the victim(s) deciding to make a fateful change to their plans that leaves rescuers looking in the wrong place for them. And we've had multiple occasions where circumstances pushed us to make some probably harmless alteration to our original plans.

And then there are brain geniuses like Aron Ralston who think that not leaving anything and then loving off to some of the most extreme terrain the US has to offer is not a bad plan.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can understand the yearning for true solitude. I might do that kind of thing myself if I didn't have a wife and family who would be really pissed at me for doing it. But it really doesn't interrupt your solitude and sense of self-reliance and so forth to leave a note where people can find it if you don't turn up alive when you're supposed to. And, of course, then not wildly deviate from your plans on a whim. Even if what you're planning to do is go off-trail (where that's permitted of course) and explore some remote area, you can carry a transponder and leave behind info about the area you intend to explore and when you intend to return.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Empty Sandwich posted:

especially not in yosemite, they call it getting "ledged out" where you get stuck in some canyon and you can no longer descend or go back up

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Pablo Bluth posted:

Snowdon is quite good at killing tourists despite being just 1085m up.

I think two died a few years back - my dad was making his own attempt at summiting it at the time and quit about an hour away from the top because the blizzards were so bad.

Pen y Fan in Wales (which is ~200m shorter) killed some army lads a while back because they were doing extreme training in the summer heat in all their gear, I'm pretty sure I drove past them on their initial march up.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I <3 buttes

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I go hunting on my own quite a lot. Phone with a GPS app and a battery pack is my principal navigation, plus additional ways to find north/south (compass and actual GPS) with an exit plan if I lose my navigational aids. Always assume the first and second navigational aids will disappear at some point. I want to start moving out of cell reception this year so will be getting an in-reach and decent radio. The problem is you see people relying on one device for navigation, communication and emergency situations and that's just doomed to fail.

The hardest thing is finding someone you can trust for your safety contact. So many times I've explained the very simple concept of 'Set an alarm. If you do not hear from me by 5pm something is wrong. I will be within 1k of this point' and they just... don't understand. I've asked other people to be my safety and they think I'm being stupid and paranoid. Someone in my area died last year about 500m from their car, nobody realized they were missing for about 24 hrs and they were found a day after that during a cold snap. Suddenly everyone is extremely safety conscious but I expect that to last another 6 months before people stop giving a poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of a first-hand account I'd read of a reporter who got lost in the wilderness with her husband. They went to Big Bend, which they were very familiar with, found it closed by a government shutdown, and so they went to Big Bend State Park. They lost the trail (twice) and spent 3 nights in the desert before he left her to get help, found his car, and got a search party that found her 2 nights later.

http://bigbend.arkansasonline.com/

As she notes, if they'd told the state rangers where they were going and when they were coming back, they would have had a search going after one night.

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020

Yeah bring a transponder, a gun if you are allowed to have one and are already comfortable and familiar carrying one, and never go hiking alone

Look at this bad post

I never carry a gun (despite having a CCW), and often hike alone. And even backpack alone. And I'm a laaady

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Leperflesh posted:

One of the things I always do is leave a little note in my car with my exact plans.

there's nothing incredibly dangerous or remote locally, but the mountain state parks all have little stations at the trailhead. everybody is supposed to fill out a card with the party's names and ages, the planned route, and the make and model of their car, even if they're just doing the little 2-hour loop trail, just in case something goes wrong

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hemale in pain posted:

I know it's not 100% reliable but i don't think there's any excuse not to bring a dedicated GPS unit with you if you go hiking or whatever. Even if you just keep it in the backpack for emergencies and never turn it on I'd think you'd be nuts to go out without one in 2021 when they're so readily available and not very expensive.

Personal

Locator

Beacon

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Jason Rother died not far from Joshua Tree NP.

He was dropped off in the desert on a training exercise and all his fellows forgot about him. He hiked seventeen miles in extreme heat and died a couple of miles from the base.

The only went looking for him when it was noticed that more weapons were checked out of the armory than were returned. His body wasn’t found for four months.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Platystemon posted:

Jason Rother died not far from Joshua Tree NP.

He was dropped off in the desert on a training exercise and all his fellows forgot about him. He hiked seventeen miles in extreme heat and died a couple of miles from the base.

The only went looking for him when it was noticed that more weapons were checked out of the armory than were returned. His body wasn’t found for four months.
How do they fail to do basic headcounts, like, goddamn, if an elementary school teacher can do it you'd think the military could. Don't leave until everyone is accounted for!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That article is worth looking at, basically he was negligently killed by idiot fuckers being stupid in his immediate chain of command.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Leperflesh posted:

That article is worth looking at, basically he was negligently killed by idiot fuckers being stupid in his immediate chain of command.

There are too many stories like this in the military. Someone dies for no reason because some rear end in a top hat or assholes didn't want to do their job.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

It's just reminding me too much of that poor couple on vacation in Australia who was abandoned by their scuba diving tour in the middle of the ocean because the company failed to do a headcount and roll call before leaving. Thomas and Eileen Lonergan. IIRC there's decent evidence that they managed to survive at least 17 hours out there before succumbing to exhaustion and dehydration, and someone leaked diary entries from them to try and claim it was a double suicide despite the fact that all that had to be done to save their lives was a head count.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Empty Sandwich posted:

there's nothing incredibly dangerous or remote locally, but the mountain state parks all have little stations at the trailhead. everybody is supposed to fill out a card with the party's names and ages, the planned route, and the make and model of their car, even if they're just doing the little 2-hour loop trail, just in case something goes wrong

Problem is idiot fuckers who're likely to get lost are the same idiot fuckers who wouldn't bother filling out a form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

RobotCoupeDetat posted:

I never carry a gun (despite having a CCW), and often hike alone. And even backpack alone. And I'm a laaady

Cool. Let us know if you find anything interesting! :thumbsup: