Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

If there's anyone left who didn't know, The One Ring is getting a second edition by Fria Ligan.

It's on track to be their biggest Kickstarter ever. I liked the first edition and Fria Ligan always delivers, so I am looking forward to this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
If anyone is interested, Superstition is a cool little single player game that's a bit reminiscent of The Quiet Year, where you make (fake) rituals that may or may not work for your community. There's even a free version available for play-testing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

jivjov posted:

Hey it hit the goal, so nya. Thanks for the support :)

Hurrah !

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Bodanarko posted:

Stegmaier is a weird egg but he’s good at kickstarter and even wrote a book on it. Here’s a collection of his posts and “lessons”. Maybe not completely applicable since his focus is obviously full fledged games and not necessarily RPG stuff but worth a shot.

They conveniently leave out the part where they bully all their loving distributors/stores with really lovely pricing practices.

Liquid Communism posted:

Given how utterly terrible their Sprawl Ops kickstarter's fulfillment went (5% of the backers still don't have their orders from June 2018 as of today, and the ones that do are because of a massive volunteer effort on one guy's part), this promises to be another poo poo show.

Yeah, I'm part of the 5%. I got the main bulk but didnt get any of any my shiny metal dice/bits :negative:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

EverettLO posted:

If there's anyone left who didn't know, The One Ring is getting a second edition by Fria Ligan.

It's on track to be their biggest Kickstarter ever. I liked the first edition and Fria Ligan always delivers, so I am looking forward to this one.

They've already blown through their starting and second round of stretch goals before they could even post that second round. I love Free League's work and can't wait to play!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Who knew a mishmash Saved By The Bell/MadMax themed game published by Roxley would be a pass for me because gameplay seemed meh :iiam:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I've already got a great two player dueling game, it's called BattleCON. Radlands would be redundant although I do LOVE those hardcore cards.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

CobiWann posted:

I love Free League's work and can't wait to play!

It still amazes me that, in an industry drat near formed around Lord of the Rings, it took almost forty years to get a decent game for actually playing it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

EverettLO posted:

What’s so good about it?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Comstar posted:

What’s so good about it?

It isn't just D&D in Middle-Earth. It places an emphasis on downtime activities that's just as important as active adventuring, and things like Honor and Renown are just as, if not more important, than collecting Treasure (which actually increases your susceptibility to the Enemy).

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

CobiWann posted:

It isn't just D&D in Middle-Earth. It places an emphasis on downtime activities that's just as important as active adventuring, and things like Honor and Renown are just as, if not more important, than collecting Treasure (which actually increases your susceptibility to the Enemy).

This is a good explanation. The One Ring is the first game to actually try to represent what happened in the books rather than just assuming that all fantasy games are combat-centric D&D derivatives.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Yeah, even the mechanics that I understand people not loving, like an autosuccess on a D12 meaning it can be swingy as poo poo, make sense because they take directly from the theming and philosophy of the book series. I've heard The One Ring described as the RPG most mechanically connected to its own theming and I think it's a fair assessment.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

2 things:
- does it have a system for second breakfasts?
- is Tom Bombadil OP as poo poo?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

He should be, I got the impression from reading LOTR that he could beat Sauron on his own but he just didn't want to

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Infinitum posted:

2 things:
- does it have a system for second breakfasts?

1 - I believe it does, as being underfed means you're more likely to be miserable, which again increases your chance to be influenced by the Enemy.

2 - So OP he doesn't even have stats.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

SCP The Tabletop Role-Playing Game

Dice System posted:

The SCP Tabletop RPG project has been a passion of mine for several years. The ruleset something I'm most proud of. I started making role-playing games several years ago after being frustrated with how much "fluff" most RPG's put in their books. SCP The TTRPG provides you with easy to understand rules first and foremost. The system is not rules-lite nor is it overly complex. I strive to hit that 'goldilocks zone' of RPG systems.

The SCP RPG provides Directors complete creative control of their own game-universe instead of forcing players to abide by a pre-set world or specific game canon.

Not actually a lot of details, but the blurry photo of a character sheet and some dice makes it look like you're getting D&D with two extra Abilities and lots more stats for guns.

Drama Cards posted:

The system itself has been playtested extensively and introduces a "Drama Card" system that allows players to temporarily take control over a situation in a way that Directors won't expect, giving agency to PC's in a way that's never been incorporated within a role-playing game before.

$21k raised with nine days to go!

It's still mostly kind of sad, but the degree to which this industry is aggressively ignorant about itself is, uh, frustrating to say the least.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is the SCP KS legit and the correct people getting paid? I seem to recall a Russian dude or something trying to muscle in to circumvent the copyright claims of the wiki.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Infinitum posted:

Is the SCP KS legit and the correct people getting paid? I seem to recall a Russian dude or something trying to muscle in to circumvent the copyright claims of the wiki.

Per the FAQ this is in no way associated with the SCP Wiki, but since SCP is entirely* Creative Commons Sharealike, as long as the author correctly credits individual authors whose work they use and also publishes the game as CC-BY-SA (which the Kickstarter says it is), it's perfectly fine. Here's the SCP Wiki's Licensing page if you want to read it yourself: http://www.scpwiki.com/licensing-guide

* Apparently the one caveat is that picture of the weird sculpture from the creepypasta that started the whole SCP thing--the artist has given the SCP Wiki permission to use the sculpture's likeness, but it's not otherwise CC-BY-SA so if you use it you will get your pants sued off. But that one doesn't appear in the Kickstarter's FAQ of "which SCPs will be in the game?" so again, should be in the clear.

All that said, I agree with Tree--a combination of "no actual rules text in the KS" and such "revolutionary" features as "drama cards" and "directly spend XP on traits rather than waiting to level up" does not fill me with confidence.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

kinkouin posted:

They conveniently leave out the part where they bully all their loving distributors/stores with really lovely pricing practices.

Not sure what that has to do with kickstarter but yeah

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

That Old Tree posted:

It's still mostly kind of sad, but the degree to which this industry is aggressively ignorant about itself is, uh, frustrating to say the least.

The claim is pretty unlikely, but perhaps the Drama Cards are themselves a SCP object allowing your fictional character to possess the player in real life?

MK159
Aug 26, 2008
The SCP RPG seems to be a second edition of the CreepyPasta RPG written by the same people, based on the blurry character sheet posted on the Kickstarter page. It's a pretty rough game in that form, with things like three simultaneous skill growth systems, and in terms of how it's tuned so characters pretty much are doomed to go insane in a session or two, or die almost instantly in a fight. It also has an essay about how you're running the game wrong if you're not basically loving with players for trying to solve your mystery. The drama cards are a new wrinkle, though, I guess to represent that SCP agents are supposed to be more competent than random teenagers with youtube channels. I can't see it being a good fit, though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I can't imagine the appral.of playing a game in the SCP 'metaverse'. Its like Paranoia, only taken deadly seriously, and that ruins all the fun.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
If you want that SCP feel but in a better ruleset (FitD) you could check out this project I stumbled on while looking through the zinequest offerings.
http://kck.st/2MHj8p6

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nice, looks like it's worth backing.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

MK159 posted:

The SCP RPG seems to be a second edition of the CreepyPasta RPG written by the same people, based on the blurry character sheet posted on the Kickstarter page. It's a pretty rough game in that form, with things like three simultaneous skill growth systems, and in terms of how it's tuned so characters pretty much are doomed to go insane in a session or two, or die almost instantly in a fight. It also has an essay about how you're running the game wrong if you're not basically loving with players for trying to solve your mystery. The drama cards are a new wrinkle, though, I guess to represent that SCP agents are supposed to be more competent than random teenagers with youtube channels. I can't see it being a good fit, though.

So I was curious and I looked into the Drama Card thing. Their DTRPG publisher page includes a sci-fi game called Spaceship Architect that also uses Drama Cards, and it has a Facebook page where previews of the cards were posted. They just say poo poo like this:

quote:

• You may reroll any one roll.
  • You may immediately change or rewrite your character's backstory in some way that could affect the current storyline.
  • You may purchase any standard item instantly, as if you've had it this whole time.
  • Play this card after the GM says you can't take an action due to metagame. Your character does this action anyway.
  • Suddenly there is a very loud noise or commotion that grabs everyones [sic] attention. GM describes this event.
  • Suddenly you find an alternate route through a wall or vent.

Which kind of seems like Fate Points with cards to me. I didn't pick up the final game though, because the layout is genuinely difficult to read (huge, unedited paragraphs of text in a cramped all-caps font, white on a black page) and I wasn't going to back this anyway.

I like the core concept of this KS, but the more I actually look into it the less I want it. So it's definitely an SCP thing at least :sax:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What's the thread's opinions on MODULAR TERRAIN FOR WARGAMES.

It looks very nice, giving the ability to add small hills, fold and dips. More expensive than a typical gaming mat though. I really like the river effect.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 13, 2021

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ettin posted:

Which kind of seems like Fate Points with cards to me.

I mean, a bit maybe? But fate points are very flexible whereas these cards just let you do a specific thing. Which...I could actually see being an advantage in some senses? More direct prompting for your less creative players, more of a sense of any given thing being a finite resource, if the actual cards were cool enough ideas some excitement over drawing particular things...

I don't imagine that this particular version is probably any good. But it's not an idea entirely without merit. (Actually, I think Savage Worlds does something of the kind? I've never actually played it, just listened to some APs and so I'm not sure.)

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

malkav11 posted:

I don't imagine that this particular version is probably any good. But it's not an idea entirely without merit. (Actually, I think Savage Worlds does something of the kind? I've never actually played it, just listened to some APs and so I'm not sure.)

It's optional, but the Adventure Deck does add some fun (and like you said, direct prompting for shy players) bits to Savage Worlds.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/storybrewers/good-society-a-jane-austen-rpg-reprint-and-new-deck?ref=231vjc

New printing and minor expansion for Good Society, the excellent Jane Austen RPG

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I got Apex Theropod Collected Edition this week and I'm really impressed by how nice it is. The thing is dense with cards and they're very high quality, like Mage Knight weight and texture.

As someone who plays a lot of solo (especially these days), I've been looking to get this one for awhile and it was out of print forever so I was stoked to see a reprint come up, especially one that contained all the expansions.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 14, 2021

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Edinburgh Indie Gamers have a wee zine out, with a bunch of cool things- some stuff about running the club, a bunch of games, some neat articles, poems, arts.

Really cool, you should check out out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/floaker/edinburgh-indie-gamers

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

About a year ago my friends and I went to a Magic GP and during the weekend one of the guys had an idea for a deckbox/die tray thing. Rather, he made one for himself with a 3D printer (iirc) and one of my other friends said that it was really neat. Apparently said friend got pretty loving serious about it without telling anyone of us because he kept working on it for a year and started a loving Kickstarter seemingly out of the blue two days ago. I know that sounds like a chickenshit outfit, but the guy put some serious effort (and cash) into it. If you play Magic, Pokémon or any other TCG, feel free to check it out:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spielwoodgaming/dice-stash-and-omnibox-your-organizer-for-dice-and-game-deck

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I don't like or play MTG but those look pretty smart.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

So, I'm doing #ZineQuest this year!
I kicked myself for missing the window last year when the plague hit, but not this time!

I realized that there really... hasn't been much in the way of contemporary mutant animal RPGs since the big one, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness. So I decided to work a modernized version, new and improved! This isn't your daddy's mutant animal RPG! Well, I mean, it is, but it's also better. Let's be honest.

Also, it's got art by Fábio Fontes of Millennium Blades, Pixel Tactics, and Dunkehr! It's great to have somebody who doesn't mind drawing a literal trash panda, no, not a raccoon, a literal trash panda.

Give it a look, and share it around if you don't mind. I've been working out ways to take all the I did in my FATAL & Friends reviews and turn into something positive and cool. I've torn down, now it's time to tear... up? I'm not sure that works, but there's no time to worry about it now. Go go go!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
A modern take on TMNT? Fuckin' sold.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Beasts of Balance is back on KS having being acquired by US company Modern Games from the UK-based Sensible Object. It's still just as expensive, if not more so, considering all the optional add-ons and whatnot.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Echophonic posted:

A modern take on TMNT? Fuckin' sold.

Hell yeah, why not. I always wanted to play the Tmnt game back in the day, so this will be an interesting read.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

A version of the Palladium BIO-E games I can actually run? Completely sold, at the "community creature" level, because why not.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lol the new Terraforming Mars Ares KS wants $45usd for 148 little metal cubes as an add-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

"Alien Rope Burn" posted:

stuff

This is perfect, right down to the comic book, ink heavy art in the Palladium style. I've been looking for this game for a few years now.