Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ten ham sandwiches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Azathoth posted:

9 Thin Blue Line Patches
1 Drop Piece

Just like their EDC

This has unacceptably few punisher skull decals and firearms identified. Such a poorly equipped cop will certainly never even make it to base camp.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A glacier made of cops

The Khumbu Copfall

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I used to follow these threads religiously, I dropped off the year Euli Steck died. Did I miss anything good in 2018 or 2019?

I started indoor climbing before the pandemic, would highly recommend it. One thing you might not expect is slow and steady is not the way to climb, you'll tire yourself out if you only make safe moves. Also constant pain in your toes, or what used to be your toes. And realize that half the time you'll be staring up at your climbing partner's butt. :) Indoor climbing was pretty awesome.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Platystemon posted:

Ten ham sandwiches

That's cannibalism.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This is not very on topic

It's mountain off season, gotta talk about something

Sanctum posted:

I used to follow these threads religiously, I dropped off the year Euli Steck died. Did I miss anything good in 2018 or 2019?

2018 was a good year to summit Everest. 2019 uhhh not so much https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2019/06/07/everest-2019-season-summary-the-year-everest-broke/!

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 18, 2021

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Anne Whateley posted:

Agreed Alone is good. It's much less Bear Grylls I DRANK MY PISS!!!!! I'M A MACHO WARRIOR!!!! than I was originally expecting. Most of the time the winning move is just to conserve energy and see who can handle losing the most weight.

It hasn't been tried as much as it should be, but the true winning move imo is to go in fat, as fat as you can while being functional. After that you just have to not gently caress up big like losing your firestarter or cutting your hand open and not go crazy.

I watch Joe Robinet's YouTube channel and you better believe everyone gives him poo poo about the spoilered thing to this day, and he constantly makes self deprecating jokes about it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The current president of the United States lost his fire starter? :confused:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

What if we deported all cops to mount Everest though

Finally the other side gets to experience "I can't breathe"

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Phy posted:

A glacier made of cops

The Khumbu Copfall

:five:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

god i hope the mentally ill angry guy who gives me domestic abuser vibes doesn't win season 2 alone

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PostNouveau posted:

Stitch it into the clothes you wear there obviously

This is an interesting point. I'm guessing they must inspect clothes before you go in? Because otherwise I'm totally stashing extra wire/cord/whatever.

My list:
Satphone
Cucumber sandwiches for nibbling while I wait for the rescue folks to show up

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

hemale in pain posted:

god i hope the mentally ill angry guy who gives me domestic abuser vibes doesn't win season 2 alone
Good news!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My list:
Satphone
Cucumber sandwiches for nibbling while I wait for the rescue folks to show up

I wonder how much you make just for going there.

I'd be freaked out by wild animals too, and the people who leave Day 1 have run-ins with bears, so I don't want to suggest they were just taking a check and running ... but also what's the payout for getting off the boat and then calling a few hours later like "Oh poo poo bears are real close come get me"?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

PostNouveau posted:

I'd be freaked out by wild animals too, and the people who leave Day 1 have run-ins with bears, so I don't want to suggest they were just taking a check and running ... but also what's the payout for getting off the boat and then calling a few hours later like "Oh poo poo bears are real close come get me"?

Probably very little. You probably get paid by the day and maybe a bonus for the top 3 or something.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I have to assume part of the contract is production pays for alone-induced medical bills because everyone out there a while is coming back malnourished and riddled with parasites at the very least, right?

Then again some of them are Canadian so medical debt is less of a thing, it'd just suck to lose over a month of your life and come out in debt, not just not win.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Phy posted:

A glacier made of cops

The Khumbu Copfall

you just know one of them is going to handcuff Green Boots and haul his frozen corpse down the mountain for refusing to comply with verbal commands

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Comrade Koba posted:

you just know one of them is going to handcuff Green Boots and haul his frozen corpse down the mountain for refusing to comply with verbal commands

just loving wailing on his corpse with a baton while screaming "STOP RESISTING, STOP RESISTING"

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is an interesting point. I'm guessing they must inspect clothes before you go in? Because otherwise I'm totally stashing extra wire/cord/whatever.

For whatever reason this made me think of Grand Duchess Anastasia and her sisters having inadvertently made bulletproof vests by sewing so many diamonds into their corsets that bullets ricocheted off of them.

I would knit myself a top down sweater that I could unravel from the waist up to get some sweet sweet extra cordage, and also a stylish crop top in the process.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
BRB, knitting a sweater out of paracord

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

PostNouveau posted:

I still keep thinking about that guy earlier in the thread who was like, "Yeah, drop basically untrained randos in the woods with no food, sure. Don't even bother with a camera man, no problem. Three hours away from help, even if you're bleeding out? Totally reasonable. Bears? Oh poo poo, must be staged."

I can't wrap my head around that rationale, the best I can come up with is that, say, Floridans or Texans who have nothing like those animals have seen The Revenant one too many times, so they just assume all bears are murder machines. And the producers have to give them bear training, but they think an encounter is like, a remote possibility, only for legal reasons. So as soon as they see bear on day one, they flip the gently caress out.

That's the only mental gymnastic I can come up with where that makes any kind of sense.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ante posted:

I still keep thinking about that guy earlier in the thread who was like, "Yeah, drop basically untrained randos in the woods with no food, sure. Don't even bother with a camera man, no problem. Three hours away from help, even if you're bleeding out? Totally reasonable. Bears? Oh poo poo, must be staged."

I can't wrap my head around that rationale, the best I can come up with is that, say, Floridans or Texans who have nothing like those animals have seen The Revenant one too many times, so they just assume all bears are murder machines.

When I was in high school, my family stayed in a little cabin clustered with maybe a dozen others in Sequoia National Park. I was inside when I heard a bunch of commotion and looked out the window. A black bear with what appeared to be 100 lbs. of electronic collars and such on its neck was waltzing through the camp. This called for the all too rare bravery one can only find in...

A 16 year old girl working there for the summer. Who ran it off by yelling at it and throwing rocks.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

ante posted:

I can't wrap my head around that rationale, the best I can come up with is that, say, Floridans or Texans who have nothing like those animals have seen The Revenant one too many times, so they just assume all bears are murder machines. And the producers have to give them bear training, but they think an encounter is like, a remote possibility, only for legal reasons. So as soon as they see bear on day one, they flip the gently caress out.

That's the only mental gymnastic I can come up with where that makes any kind of sense.

We have bears in Florida. I've had them in my backyard in suburban Orlando.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

Highly recommend Grizzly Man if you haven't seen it.

Werner Herzog doc about a guy who was a self-proclaimed bear expert and would go up to Alaska every year in summer to live among them and "protect" them. He shot a ton of footage himself loving around and playing with the bears and having a ton of close encounters that didn't seem too dangerous.

Until he hangs around too late in the season one year and is in bear territory in October when apparently the bears get a lot more aggro about getting food before winter hibernation. Then him and his girlfriend get eaten by a bear.

Anyway Grizzly Man rules it's my favorite Herzog movie by a mile.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zero One posted:

We have bears in Florida. I've had them in my backyard in suburban Orlando.

Those are just black bears though, they only kill you if you are dumb

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

When I was in high school, my family stayed in a little cabin clustered with maybe a dozen others in Sequoia National Park. I was inside when I heard a bunch of commotion and looked out the window. A black bear with what appeared to be 100 lbs. of electronic collars and such on its neck was waltzing through the camp. This called for the all too rare bravery one can only find in...

A 16 year old girl working there for the summer. Who ran it off by yelling at it and throwing rocks.

I live in grizzly territory and I've done a bunch of bear training and have run into one or two on the trails. And I know you're almost definitely safe camping as long as you take the right precautions. And I'll go hunting alone in certain circumstances.

But I can't make myself go camping alone, mostly because of my idiot brain thinking about trying to sleep in a tent among dem bears.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Reminds me of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq1FdJLFvzA
The end :stare: Wolf has better sense than the dude filming.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PostNouveau posted:

Werner Herzog doc about a guy who was a self-proclaimed bear expert and would go up to Alaska every year in summer to live among them and "protect" them. He shot a ton of footage himself loving around and playing with the bears and having a ton of close encounters that didn't seem too dangerous.

Until he hangs around too late in the season one year and is in bear territory in October when apparently the bears get a lot more aggro about getting food before winter hibernation. Then him and his girlfriend get eaten by a bear.

I think it was that the bears he was used to had gone somewhere else and a different kind of bear moved in.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

punishedkissinger posted:

you dont want freshwater going in your mouth untreated in general. lots of nasty stuff in there. even out in "pristine" wilderness.

yea there's a reason the advice is always to boil your water before ingesting it and it's not because it's a lot of fun to make a fire and boil the water.

that being said there's definitely a hierarchy for safe-ness as far as drinking water goes, and if there is a decently fast-running mountain stream, a place where the water is dropping over rocks (like a little waterfall) is a relatively effective natural filter-but-don't-think-of-it-as-an-actual-filter-because-you-should-still-probably-boil-the-water. As far as mountain streams go, those are about as safe as you can get, but you're still gonna wanna walk upstream a bit to make sure there isn't like, a dead moose rotting in the water nearby or something.

Cojawfee posted:

I think it was that the bears he was used to had gone somewhere else and a different kind of bear moved in.

it was that as well, yea. there was a bear he "didn't like" as much because it was old and grumpy which made him more dangerous (than the other dangerous bears that would have killed him at some point later on his life) because it wasn't an able predator like the other bears so it was more likely to go for "other" prey (like people), and I think it also had a bad tooth which made him ornery. (Not a joke? I think after they figured out which bear it was and killed it, they found the bear had hosed up teeth?)

Tumble fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 19, 2021

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I'm on the last episode of season 1 Alone and I wish they would give more information about how First Nations people lived on Vancouver Island before European contact to contrast with the modern survivalists.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

PostNouveau posted:

There's another bear documentary series available on YouTube, The Bear Whisperer I think. The main difference is the subject is gainfully employed in his town with regards to the bear situation and is highly unorthodox but also very effective. It kind of feels like a silly slice of life in bear country because the bears are around but they're kept under control.

It does get real when a certain bear becomes a problem by continually breaking into peoples' houses and trashing all their stuff in search of food. The whisperer seems to be dealing with it, at which point the problem bear and her cub get hit by a car. The cub dies and mama predictably loses her poo poo, breaking into more homes and doing worse damage. You ought to be able to guess what happens to her :smith:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Outrail posted:

I live in grizzly territory and I've done a bunch of bear training and have run into one or two on the trails. And I know you're almost definitely safe camping as long as you take the right precautions. And I'll go hunting alone in certain circumstances.

But I can't make myself go camping alone, mostly because of my idiot brain thinking about trying to sleep in a tent among dem bears.

Yeah, I have to emphasize, we were in cabins and this was a black bear, and not even a particularly big one at that. The presence of the tracking collar likely indicated that he had already become used to people and was a "problem" bear. I think he had to have come around before, either that or that girl really did have balls. It was hilarious. The bear didn't scurry off like it was scared, it just sort of turned around and slowly loped off like, "Ok, I'm going, I'm going."

PostNouveau posted:

Such a great movie. There's an infamous scene where Herzog listens on headphones to a recording of the fatal attack. Treadwell was always ready to record and someone, either him or his girlfriend turned on one of the video cameras but didn't take the lens cap off, so it recorded the audio only. After Herzog listens to it, he dramatically tells the woman who has it to never listen to it. Of course, this left viewers wanting to know what happened. Turns out she has let other people listen to it, including this guy, a grizzly expert who describes what you hear and speculates about what was happening:

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/Tim_Treadwell.html

As you might suspect, it's pretty goddamned awful.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

I’m in the pairs season and one guy is going on and on about how worried he is about the bears his son might encounter on the hike to him. Not worrying about falling on a rock/log, a very real and game-ending risk that has already taken out two people, but BEARS.

People have such broken assessment of risk.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

ante posted:

Classic video, but the best part is the last few seconds.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Such a great movie. There's an infamous scene where Herzog listens on headphones to a recording of the fatal attack. Treadwell was always ready to record and someone, either him or his girlfriend turned on one of the video cameras but didn't take the lens cap off, so it recorded the audio only. After Herzog listens to it, he dramatically tells the woman who has it to never listen to it. Of course, this left viewers wanting to know what happened. Turns out she has let other people listen to it, including this guy, a grizzly expert who describes what you hear and speculates about what was happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INov9gQ2aUA
The scene in question

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I have to warn people, it's so much worse than I remembered.

Poor goddamned kayak. The horror...

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

The List:

1. Barbara
2. Barbara
3. Barbara
4. An agressive bear
5. Barbara
6. Barbara
7. Undiagnosed COVID
8. Barbara
9. Barbara
10. Barbara

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:lol:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Tumble posted:

it was that as well, yea. there was a bear he "didn't like" as much because it was old and grumpy which made him more dangerous (than the other dangerous bears that would have killed him at some point later on his life) because it wasn't an able predator like the other bears so it was more likely to go for "other" prey (like people), and I think it also had a bad tooth which made him ornery. (Not a joke? I think after they figured out which bear it was and killed it, they found the bear had hosed up teeth?)

Here is the relevant description of the bear:

quote:

a scrawny, but healthy 1000 pound 28-year-old male that was probably looking to fatten up for winter, with broken canine teeth, and others worn down to the gums”
The speculation about this particular bear is that it couldn't hunt as well as younger bears owing to its damaged and worn teeth. This, coupled with the victims being around bears later than normal, a bad berry crop in the park that the bear could otherwise have fed on, a lack of other food like salmon, and an unfortunate but understandable incorrect reaction to the bear showing up in their camp at night, led directly to the attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Turns out she has let other people listen to it, including this guy, a grizzly expert who describes what you hear and speculates about what was happening:

Oh hey there he is with the exact bear that would eventually eat him

Edit: eh, images seem to not work, but that page has a picture of him standing like 10 feet away from the bear with his back turned to it.