Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Purgatory Glory posted:

I've read the explanation and still can't parse it. Someone explain the plane picture please!

https://youtu.be/P9WFpVsRtQg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So in the war the Allies used to fly these big white bombers and the Nazis would shoot paint at them so they could identify them if they ever flew back and those are the spots that they hit the planes and someone said we should camouflage those spots and someone else pointed out that if every plane had red dots on it then they wouldn't be able to identify all of them anyway and then the Nazi AA gunners were so mad they threw their hats in the dirt and stomped around

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Purgatory Glory posted:

I've read the explanation and still can't parse it. Someone explain the plane picture please!

The picture is depicting planes in WWII - Some of them were coming back with huge pockmarks and red marks where they're shown. Some top airforce brass wanted to wrap up those areas with the lesions to protect them, but other realised that this was a logical fallacy.

This is why antibiotics to clear up those spots became common practice.

Also, why we have excellent vet organisation, The Royal Canadian Lesion

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

canyoneer posted:

So in the war the Allies used to fly these big white bombers and the Nazis would shoot paint at them so they could identify them if they ever flew back and those are the spots that they hit the planes and someone said we should camouflage those spots and someone else pointed out that if every plane had red dots on it then they wouldn't be able to identify all of them anyway and then the Nazi AA gunners were so mad they threw their hats in the dirt and stomped around

Finally, someone's talking sense.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
The plane picture shows where airflow needs to lift the plane off a treadmill.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Jim DiGriz posted:

I thought it was a circumcision analogy

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Jim DiGriz posted:

except in australia, where the red spot is used to show places where the forces are down, down

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Purgatory Glory posted:

The airplane has chickenpox.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Jesus... if we're going to keep talking about the plane, can we at least use...

...spoilers.

:dadjoke:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Picnic Princess posted:

I thought it was a circumcision analogy

Actually

:itwaspoo:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OwlFancier posted:

The diagram is a very common demonstration of survivorship bias so it has become a minor meme to use in any instance where that is remotely applicable.

Ohh, I get it! I get jokes!

(Yeah that explains a lot)

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Actually the the reason the plane picture was posted is pretty much lost on all of you.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

Zetsubou-san posted:

except in australia, where the red spot is used to show places where the forces are down, down

not like this...

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

This video needs more attention.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Helios Grime posted:

Actually the the reason the plane picture was posted is pretty much lost on all of you.

If you slightly tilt the plane, it becomes loss?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

If you slightly tilt the plane, it becomes loss?

If it doesn't have an airframe parachute, it does.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zetsubou-san posted:

:golfclap:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Helios Grime posted:

Actually we’re just all the posters who made it back, you can tell from the bullet holes

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

A child embraces their first SA account

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We were in NZ a couple springs ago when we saw an ad for the U.S. DIY Network show "Mega Decks". The commercial itself was exactly as aired back home in the States, but the local network had added their own bumper. So it was, what, 30 seconds of "normal" U.S. commercial capped off by a Kiwi suddenly and a little too excitedly saying "MIGA DICKS! Tuesday at 8!" Got my Kiwi husband and I laughing (and our teen snickering).

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Hirayuki posted:

We were in NZ a couple springs ago when we saw an ad for the U.S. DIY Network show "Mega Decks". The commercial itself was exactly as aired back home in the States, but the local network had added their own bumper. So it was, what, 30 seconds of "normal" U.S. commercial capped off by a Kiwi suddenly and a little too excitedly saying "MIGA DICKS! Tuesday at 8!" Got my Kiwi husband and I laughing (and our teen snickering).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbazGVrbN-g

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

fartknocker posted:

rear end is the first thing I saw. That child’s name is now rear end.

Quote from way back but my brother and his wife are expecting and since the last name begins with S I’ve been trying to convince them to name the baby so the initials spell rear end. So far I’ve gotten them to refer to her as “baby rear end”.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I agreed to a middle name because it made the initials ATC.

Also because who cares about middle names?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The camo thing isn't falsifiable, though :colbert:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

CeramicPig posted:

Quote from way back but my brother and his wife are expecting and since the last name begins with S I’ve been trying to convince them to name the baby so the initials spell rear end. So far I’ve gotten them to refer to her as “baby rear end”.

My parents almost gave my sister the middle name "Sarah" which would've given her an "rear end" abbreviation.

Instead they went with "Marie."

Lame.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Hate the plane picture reply. It's like the most insider baseball pretentious reply there can be. gently caress camouflage and gently caress planes! Figuratively!

Lookit this guy in experimental Dazzle camo...if you can find him!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Hate the plane picture reply. It's like the most insider baseball pretentious reply there can be. gently caress camouflage and gently caress planes! Figuratively!

He's very unlikely to be targeted by submarines, so mission accomplished

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
drat! You're right!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Tree Bucket posted:

He's very unlikely to be targeted by submarines, so mission accomplished

For people who don't get this reference, the Allies during WW2 were trying to find the best way to...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does kinda look like he has one arm longer than the other but I don't know if that's the camo breaking up his profile or just he has lopsided arms.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
That's the intended effect of dazzle camo, to mess with rangefinding.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I can see where he is but I can't see where he's going.
I'm uncertain about this.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if he will staaaaay

My little runaway

My run run run runaway

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Captain Splendid posted:

For people who don't get this reference, the Allies during WW2 were trying to find the best way to...

Give em the ol razzle dazzle?

It would’ve been a better name than Fat Man imo

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Purgatory Glory posted:

Airplane is a flying vehicle used to transport people or goods thru air. A bomber plane is an airplane that has opted to drop its cargo from air, instead of landing and having the cargo manually unloaded.

Good ball by Dixon
Oct 18, 2012

canyoneer posted:

So in the war the Allies used to fly these big white bombers and the Nazis would shoot paint at them so they could identify them if they ever flew back and those are the spots that they hit the planes
This is a bomber afte the nazi gunners fired at them.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
JUDAS GOAT
:black101:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Good ball by Dixon posted:

This is a bomber afte the nazi gunners fired at them.

Bombers only present like this when they are distressed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sormus posted:

Airplane is a flying vehicle used to transport people or goods thru air.
But that's not important right now.