Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I just finished that season and it seems like it was the most random of all the results because they were all hurdling toward having to be pulled out and the winner just happened to get there slower also he started a lot bigger and probably had a huge advantage because of it. Everyone that season pushed themselves really really hard.

Except for Positive Mental Attitude guy lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

Except for Positive Mental Attitude guy lol

He did at least realize he shouldn't leave his wife with 3 adopted children about to arrive

Ideally he would have realized that before he flew out to South America and spent 3 days in Patagonia, but he DID realize it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

hemale in pain posted:

I always wonder how real those shows with survival experts are. I'd like to see a 'celeberity' version of Alone with people like Bear Grylls and Ed stafford and see if they can actually do what they claim.

I'd imagine Ed Stafford would do well since he has some good survival credentials. He got famous for being the first person to walk the length of the Amazon, took him 2 years IIRC. And he did a really good 3 part series about being left on a desert island for 60 days. Seems like he's pretty legit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the thing about survival shows like bear grylls' shows and survivorman etc. is that the charisma of the host is far more important than their survival skills

so much so that bear grylls gets away with telling people to rappel down cliffs, explore caves, and swim across icy rivers, even though all of that is the worst loving advice for normal people

at least survivorman is more about like, trying to fish, or making differnet shelters, but even there, his show would have bombed if he was just some typical survivor skilled type, it works because he's fun to watch and listen to

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Okay fess up, who of you works at humble bundle? Everest chat turns into survival show chat and suddenly humble throws out a book bundle on survival. Very convenient.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hopper posted:

Okay fess up, who of you works at humble bundle? Everest chat turns into survival show chat and suddenly humble throws out a book bundle on survival. Very convenient.

Whoever it is: pay someone to translate your page if you absolutely HAVE to have language versions, the German is beyond shameful.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Dear Watson posted:

Everest: Hey Bear!

Every 60 seconds while dying from oxygen depletion, you have to remove your mask and yell at the top of your lungs, or the bears will eat you.

I'd watch a season.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Aphex- posted:

I'd imagine Ed Stafford would do well since he has some good survival credentials. He got famous for being the first person to walk the length of the Amazon, took him 2 years IIRC. And he did a really good 3 part series about being left on a desert island for 60 days. Seems like he's pretty legit.

Ray Mears seems to know what he's talking about, doesn't indulge in "Rapel off this cliff with a rope made of rat cocks while drinking your own piss" stuff, and he doesn't look like he goes hungry when he's outdoors.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Potrzebie posted:

Every 60 seconds while dying from oxygen depletion, you have to remove your mask and yell at the top of your lungs, or the bears will eat you.

I'd watch a season.

This sounds like a task from Taskmaster.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This sounds like a task from Taskmaster.

Don't worry, it's just Alex Horne in a bear suit.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ray mears is alright but as a fellow brit I dunno how well he'd do on alone. Here in the UK you're usually a 20 min walk from a supermarket.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

Ray mears is alright but as a fellow brit I dunno how well he'd do on alone. Here in the UK you're usually a 20 min walk from a supermarket.

He's spent plenty of time doing stuff abroad.

In any case he's far superior to bear grylls who does genuinely stupid poo poo that'll get people killed if they try it. Mears at least seems to try to explain in exactly what horrible circumstances it may be worth it to do dangerous things to survive and otherwise stays down to earth.

Edit: disclaimer, I haven't watched Ray Mears in probably ten years so I might be misremembering or he also turned to poo poo in the meantime

NLJP fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 23, 2021

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I wonder where in the UK is the farthest from any other humans, and how far that distance is. As a matter of curiosity, not intent to become a hermit, I mean.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

womb with a view posted:

I wonder where in the UK is the farthest from any other humans, and how far that distance is. As a matter of curiosity, not intent to become a hermit, I mean.

Probably some mountain or island in Scotland, and you're still a two hour hike to some shepherd's haggis filled bothy.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah the Scottish highlands are one of the most sparsely populated places in Europe so you can be a fair ways away from other people if you want.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
When in Scotland it's impossible to be as far away from the Scots as I want.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Isn’t there still a bunch of remote-as-gently caress uninhabited islands in the Atlantic that are still technically part of the UK?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Comrade Koba posted:

Isn’t there still a bunch of remote-as-gently caress uninhabited islands in the Atlantic that are still technically part of the UK?

I looked it up, and DANGER ISLAND in the Indian Ocean looks promising.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
There's always Inaccessible Island too.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

NLJP posted:

He's spent plenty of time doing stuff abroad.

In any case he's far superior to bear grylls who does genuinely stupid poo poo that'll get people killed if they try it. Mears at least seems to try to explain in exactly what horrible circumstances it may be worth it to do dangerous things to survive and otherwise stays down to earth.

Edit: disclaimer, I haven't watched Ray Mears in probably ten years so I might be misremembering or he also turned to poo poo in the meantime

Oh yeah Bear Grylls "You got to be super careful around this water, you just don't know whats beneath the surface" next scene - does a backflip off a palm tree into it

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I was mostly joking about Ray Mears being a coddled UK resident. He apparently survived a helicopter crash uninjured and provided medical support to the people who got hurt so he sounds pretty rad.

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

I dunno what you're even talking about, you step off the ferry in Dover and it's a 500+ mile hike to the next spot of civilization

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Blunt Instrument posted:

I dunno what you're even talking about, you step off the ferry in Dover and it's a 500+ mile hike to the next spot of civilization

Yeah Delaware fuckin sucks

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I think Bear Grylls might make a decent stab at it, hard to tell how good at survival he is when he’s on a show where he gives himself a bird poo poo enema presumably at the whim of some insane producer.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The above presumes he finds a five star hotel in the wilderness to overnight at.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Grylls is full of poo poo, as these videos show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTlsqZ214Mw

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Ray Mears is one of my heroes. His heavyset frame and pleasingly British manner endear me far more than ex special forces insecure overachieving posh boys, or Jocko Willink style annoying CRUSH THE DAY!!! idiots.

In matters of wilderness survival, trust the chunkiest.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

A CRAB IRL posted:

Ray Mears is one of my heroes. His heavyset frame and pleasingly British manner endear me far more than ex special forces insecure overachieving posh boys, or Jocko Willink style annoying CRUSH THE DAY!!! idiots.

In matters of wilderness survival, trust the chunkiest.

So Samoans win, every time.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Comrade Koba posted:

You might be thinking of Rockall.

There may be oil/under Rockall.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Oracle posted:

So Samoans win, every time.

I mean, there's a drat good historic reason Polynesian folk have genes selecting for carrying lots of excess energy.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Ted Bear was one of the more authentic survivalists. He never got as well known as some of the others tho.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

A CRAB IRL posted:

I mean, there's a drat good historic reason Polynesian folk have genes selecting for carrying lots of excess energy.

:thunk:

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

A CRAB IRL posted:

Ehhh this is probably the reason for chunkiness if the poster means what i think he means.

https://www.aspph.org/yale-the-samoan-islands-are-grappling-with-public-health-problems-children-may-provide-some-solutions/

That Yale Stuff Above posted:

In the early 2000s, the adult overweight and obesity rate in the territory was nearly universal, at 93 percent, while the rate for children was close to 45 percent. Nearly one in three adults in American Samoa has diabetes.

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 23, 2021

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Very sad to learn of the senseless mountaintop passing of Alexander Doba on reddit and not here because you terds wont shut up about lame filler tv on Netflix and wont get back to celebrating wholly unnecessary gloryhound peril fetishists getting their lumps.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Netflix doesn’t have the seasons we’ve been talking about, gramps.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

shadow puppet of a posted:

Very sad to learn of the senseless mountaintop passing of Alexander Doba on reddit and not here because you terds wont shut up about lame filler tv on Netflix and wont get back to celebrating wholly unnecessary gloryhound peril fetishists getting their lumps.

I'm just glad that you're here to weep like a teased vagina rather than post anything about him. Great post!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Netflix is for watchin' Sugar Rush, Sugar Rush Extra Sweet, Sugar Rush Christmas and Zumbo's Weird Prequel To Sugar Rush :colbert:

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Comrade Koba posted:

St Kilda (formerly inhabited)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Alone isn't filler tv, its a crazy cool and weird show. Man in the first season building a canoe for fun and then crying ceaselessly at random times because he's lonely is legit tv and you are absolutely not too cool for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I'm watching Alone season 2 and while I really like a few of the people (esp Nicole! She is so sweet), I can't stand Larry the abusive angry. He makes me so uncomfortable and they feature him so much! I honestly might not watch the rest, he scares me so much.

Plus he swears so much that it's more bleep than speech and it's really annoying.