Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Forget the tunnel, just go with the tried and trusted nationalist infrastructure project: autobahns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

kicks forts posted:

Jesus is that a whippet in their logo lmfao

We shouldn't get anyone to do us a crayon drawing of a tree

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

kicks forts posted:

Boris is looking for something for the right wing press to drivel on about and manufacture some kind of brexit postwar consensus with these insane china-scale project to "inspire" the nation. It won't be built for all the obvious reasons. But then HS2 was openly not worth the money. I forget what happened with the extra London runways they seemed unpopular also.

Also we hosed up our existing easy shipping channels with Brexit lol. The EU are bypassing us entirely and taking their stuff all the way to Ireland because it's cheaper than hauling overland through the kingdom of broken toys.

Yeah this is probably because all those Irish ferry companies pulled their Irish sea routes and Bojo was just like 'Well I'll build my own tunnel! With hookers! and blackjack!"

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Can't wait to hear kier's shiteating response when TIG takes a position on bathroom policing.

Also lmao when jk beats kier's labour in the polls and Corbyn gets blamed.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

love to spend a hundred trillion quid on a dedicated tunnel between the Isle of Man (pop 80k) and Stranraer (pop 10k)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
the tunnel is a distraction from uh they forgot to put the vaccine in the vials or something and hundreds of thousands will die

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The tunnel is a way to funnel public funds into the hands of private contractors, one last feeding frenzy before the UK descends into complete chaos.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I bet I could shave at least half an hour off the journey from Stranraer to Heysham if I took the tunnel

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Lmao when Ireland reunites anyway and inherits a lovely tunnel in the middle of absolutely nowhere that only releases Englishmen.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

love to spend a hundred trillion quid on a dedicated tunnel between the Isle of Man (pop 80k) and Stranraer (pop 10k)

Of course the island itself won't be connected, don't be silly.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

bitterandtwisted posted:

HOW DARE YOU NOT BELIEVE IN BRITAIN

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fresh produce in every pot and tunnels to every island

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Biplane posted:

The tunnel is a way to funnel public funds into the hands of private contractors, one last feeding frenzy before the UK descends into complete chaos.

OK yeah that adds up, was just trying to figure out how they were pitching it but I guess post Brexit that's not particularly important.

kicks forts posted:

Lmao when Ireland reunites anyway and inherits a lovely tunnel in the middle of absolutely nowhere that only releases Englishmen.

There's gotta be some Irish myth about sealing off a bunch of fomorians by just pouring rocks in front of their cave or something right?

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
legend of The Ancient Gaelic Hell Mouth of Red Faced Demons Who Steal Your EU Regulated Ham In The Night For Their Buttered Bread Sandwhiches And Leave Rotten Shellfish In Its Place

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

before you poo poo on me, my right hon friend, lnow this. i have a black belt in shut the gently caress up. and - let me finish - i have a college degree in shut the gently caress up mr speaker

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

kicks forts posted:

remake of the descent where a group of Irish spelunkers explore the ruined tunnels and encounter a gibbering mob of troglodytic, feral Englishmen

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I looked it up and the longest tunnel in the world is the gotthard tunnel at 57km. It took 17 years to build, is a land tunnel and cost something like 20 billion yuros. Good luck Britian

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Which Irish parliament had "with all due parliamentary respect, gently caress you, deputy Sprague"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugailEn8U5o

I guess you have to click through because of the swearing but worth it for the delivery of "gently caress you" it's angrier than I remembered.

Also it was a Green party MP lmao

kicks forts has issued a correction as of 18:20 on Feb 22, 2021

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

I looked it up and the longest tunnel in the world is the gotthard tunnel at 57km. It took 17 years to build, is a land tunnel and cost something like 20 billion yuros. Good luck Britian

That one could beat it in a decade or so:

""Brenner Base Tunnel - Wikipedia" posted:

Total tunnel length from the Innsbruck bypass to Fortezza/Franzensfeste: 64 km (39.768 mi)
Length from the Innsbruck portal to the Fortezza/Franzensfeste portal: 55 km (34.175 mi)
Diameter of each of the single-track tubes: 8.1 m (27 ft)
Distance between cross passage tunnels: 333 m (1,093 ft)
Elevation at highest point: 794 m (2,605 ft)
Maximum overburden: 1,720 m (5,640 ft) [10]
Start of construction: 1999 (preparations), 2007 (exploratory section), 2011 (main tunnel)
End of construction: 2027
Total cost: €8.384 billion

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
€8.34 billion Shadow over Innsbruck

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

How's Terfy Twat Party polling in 2021?

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
lol at implicit acknowledgement that none of the existing ones are "charismatic" enough to lead their own "movement".

Remember when Bojo put out a job advert for someone to talk to the public for him like a medieval page

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

gschmidl posted:

How's Terfy Twat Party polling in 2021?

If you mean CUK/TIG, then well,

If you mean any of the other terfy twat parties:
https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1363800144345526272

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

SNP is merely SWERFy IMO, at least for the most part

Also I think Plaid is okay? Labour is debatable.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I think it's possible kier does okay in the locals.
He's poo poo all over the left which is a vote winner and the tories just killed hundreds of thousands which could go either way in terms of popularity.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Private Speech posted:

SNP is merely SWERFy IMO, at least for the most part

yep. Thinking specifically of how, in 2013, the newly consolidated Police Scotland cracked down on sex workers in Edinburgh, whereas Lothian and Borders Police were a lot more liberal about sex work

Didn't affect the SNP in the slightest

e:

Communist Thoughts posted:

I think it's possible kier does okay in the locals.
He's poo poo all over the left which is a vote winner and the tories just killed hundreds of thousands which could go either way in terms of popularity.

this is incredibly wishful thinking from a populace which is wrong about everything, but you might be right

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I think the wishful thinking is us thinking that he will be punished for being awful but forgetting we are in the UK and he may be richly rewarded

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I think the wishful thinking is us thinking that he will be punished for being awful but forgetting we are in the UK and he may be richly rewarded

yeah nothing would make me happier than watching labour crash and burn at this point

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I don't think he'll be punished for being awful so much as people will still think highly of Boris for rolling out the vaccinations and what have you

for example, nobody outside the left gives a gently caress about the Matt Hancock poo poo, especially since it's being buried by the Tory press, and nobody outside the left will care when he's still in cabinet in May

Kieth is a non-entity

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Even Cummings, incredibly loathsome and the public face of ignoring covid restrictions, hung on until he was mostly forgotten about again and only left because of some internet spat. If the uk left-ish press couldn't get Cummings out there's no way they'd get Hancock out.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

bedpan posted:

the ocean is/was regarded as a big trash can that you can keep on throwing stuff into and it will go away forever

http://cup.columbia.edu/book/the-sea-can-wash-away-all-evils/9780231138062

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1363903973267300352?s=09

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gonadic io posted:

Even Cummings, incredibly loathsome and the public face of ignoring covid restrictions, hung on until he was mostly forgotten about again and only left because of some internet spat. If the uk left-ish press couldn't get Cummings out there's no way they'd get Hancock out.
I'm stanning the rodent account again, but that take still made the most sense to me:
https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1363482379369725954

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

kicks forts posted:

legend of The Ancient Gaelic Hell Mouth of Red Faced Demons Who Steal Your EU Regulated Ham In The Night For Their Buttered Bread Sandwhiches And Leave Rotten Shellfish In Its Place

gh0stpinballa posted:

before you poo poo on me, my right hon friend, lnow this. i have a black belt in shut the gently caress up. and - let me finish - i have a college degree in shut the gently caress up mr speaker

some fine posts rolling in today

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Internal party briefing is that the results are going to be terrible, status quo at best but likely for Labour to lose ground. Part of this is that because of the pandemic you can only leaflet by post and Labour are poor as gently caress thanks to pissing their money up the wall on court cases, annoying Unite and driving out members. Also turnout will likely be terrible which is also bad for Labour generally.

making GBS threads on the left isn't in and of itself a vote winner, you actually need to appeal to people somehow

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers

MikeCrotch posted:

Internal party briefing is that the results are going to be terrible, status quo at best but likely for Labour to lose ground. Part of this is that because of the pandemic you can only leaflet by post and Labour are poor as gently caress thanks to pissing their money up the wall on court cases, annoying Unite and driving out members. Also turnout will likely be terrible which is also bad for Labour generally.

making GBS threads on the left isn't in and of itself a vote winner, you actually need to appeal to people somehow

How could Jeremy Corbyn do this to the party

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If Kieth ends up going below Corbyn's worst numbers it's going to be hard not to gloat a bit, it seems like the only thing we have left now is spite

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Labour still has a long way to go in its quest to win back the public's trust -- My op in the Guardian

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

bedpan posted:

the ocean is/was regarded as a big trash can that you can keep on throwing stuff into and it will go away forever

It doesn't work, the things you throw in the sea will find you

I speak from experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

twoday posted:

It doesn't work, the things you throw in the sea will find you

I speak from experience
:hmmyes: