Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Continuity NIP posted:

Yes he is. Born with a parmo in his mouth

It's this sort of opportunistic revisionism of history which makes Liverpool afraid to get on board with the NIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

what is wrong with your people

https://twitter.com/wearetruthers/status/1351227022312435713?s=20

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

How long have you got?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

...I confess, I'm too much a coward to click the play button. What is it?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Samovar posted:

...I confess, I'm too much a coward to click the play button. What is it?

It's a video by a Jewish group who think you're a conspiracy theorist to suggest there's a political motivation to the organised attack on the Labour left as antisemitic

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

realistically, nothing real is going to get done and we really need to start preparing seriously for the coming deluge

taking that as excuse to just give up and accept likely nuclear war +actual megadeath just seems ridiculous though

Things have been getting done. Just way too slow. Carbon peaked in the west years ago and has been slowly falling. It’s rising fast in China, India and everywhere else in the ‘developing world’. All of them, quite reasonably, aren’t eager to curtail their own economic growth just because the west is now worried after 200 years of callous excess. China does seem to give a poo poo, or at least is saying they do and wants to cap at somewhere between 2025-2030. Probably still too slow.

The old 1.5 c rise by 2100 is dead. 2.0-2.5 is the new ‘achievable’ target. Possible yes, likely? Maybe but everything could be lost every American election cycle. Just one insane republican that just expands carbon emitting industries and it’s over. How the gently caress you try to tackle climate change when one of the biggest historical emitters might just go loving bananas every 4 years seems like a nigh impossible task. But you have to try and things are changing. Tiny incremental things. That should have happened decades ago.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Global revolt against capital is the only solution.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

considering the Democrats will lose Congress in less than two years and the presidency in less than four, we're basically completely hosed

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Regarde Aduck posted:

Things have been getting done. Just way too slow. Carbon peaked in the west years ago and has been slowly falling. It’s rising fast in China, India and everywhere else in the ‘developing world’. All of them, quite reasonably, aren’t eager to curtail their own economic growth just because the west is now worried after 200 years of callous excess. China does seem to give a poo poo, or at least is saying they do and wants to cap at somewhere between 2025-2030. Probably still too slow.

The old 1.5 c rise by 2100 is dead. 2.0-2.5 is the new ‘achievable’ target. Possible yes, likely? Maybe but everything could be lost every American election cycle. Just one insane republican that just expands carbon emitting industries and it’s over. How the gently caress you try to tackle climate change when one of the biggest historical emitters might just go loving bananas every 4 years seems like a nigh impossible task. But you have to try and things are changing. Tiny incremental things. That should have happened decades ago.

in the West, candidates promising environmental policies with some level of actual bite have been systematically eating poo poo. corbyn ran on a legitimately impressive environmental platform, sanders had a whole Thing called the Green New Deal, macron and le pen are both awful on environmental stuff etc. germany and sattelites weaning off coal is good, i guess, but this poo poo is never going to get easier/cheaper to do than it is now and we're busy in a holding pattern on one of our three apocalyptic environmental disasters while ignoring the others

we're hosed, is what i'm saying

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

we're hosed for perfectly understandable reasons for the most part, but we're also getting hosed by the cultists of the Holy Market who take it for granted that their demonic patron will intercede so long as they placate it with sufficient offerings

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It sucks the NIP shot themselves in the foot right out of the gate by making themselves a meme party for a specific region of England
I'm actually too far north to vote for them and if I lived where I used to I'd be too far south.

So if a new left party does emerge that isn't that there's gonna be a new round of left squabbling

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

genericnick posted:

Seems like a good idea, let#s do this. Then we can drain the sea over night and march the Grande Armée over to finally enforce metric.

Wrong thinking, Britain will be dismantled and crushed for construction material and whatever is left over sold as road building aggregate.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
More left parties is utterly pointless without serious voting reform, unless your aim is to give the Tories a bigger vote share I guess? This is not defeatist, this is just how fptp works. I can applaud the NIP for actually doing something in this hosed system, unfortunately all it will do is give the Tories a bigger share of the vote and entrench them in seats they would not normally have much of a chance in.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Communist Thoughts posted:

It sucks the NIP shot themselves in the foot right out of the gate by making themselves a meme party for a specific region of England
I'm actually too far north to vote for them and if I lived where I used to I'd be too far south.

So if a new left party does emerge that isn't that there's gonna be a new round of left squabbling

The SNP really shot themselves in the foot by not standing in England

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Continuity NIP posted:

The SNP really shot themselves in the foot by not standing in England

I like the NIPs moxie but Northern independence isn't like... A real political position that could happen.

At least the Scots got their vote and spunked it up the wall

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Dravs posted:

More left parties is utterly pointless without serious voting reform, unless your aim is to give the Tories a bigger vote share I guess? This is not defeatist, this is just how fptp works. I can applaud the NIP for actually doing something in this hosed system, unfortunately all it will do is give the Tories a bigger share of the vote and entrench them in seats they would not normally have much of a chance in.

the brexit party outcome refutes your point

however i would concede that unlike the tories, current labour are quite happy to lose elections rather than give an inch to the left so it’s probably a moot point anyway

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
We basically live in a one party state and it's easier to just accept that imo

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jel Shaker posted:

the brexit party outcome refutes your point

however i would concede that unlike the tories, current labour are quite happy to lose elections rather than give an inch to the left so it’s probably a moot point anyway

Brexit party had the benefit of 95% of Tory members and the majority of their voters agreeing with them on the need for a hard brexit, huge amounts of free press via Farage and deep pocketed financial backers, none of which a left party would have

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
why doesn't Keir want to legalize? it seems like an obvious and winning distinction for Labour to draw between them and the Tories, as an American I'm assuming support for legalization among the population is roughly the same as it is here now (68-75%)

https://www.leafie.co.uk/news/keir-starmer-rules-out-relaxing-cannabis-laws/

quote:

Sir Keir Starmer, the Labour Party leader delivered disappointing news for proponents of drug law reform this weekend. When asked his thoughts on decriminalising cannabis possession in a television interview, Starmer said “I’ve never subscribed to that view […] it causes huge issues to vulnerable people across the country”.

In the interview with Sophy Ridge for Sky News on Sunday 21st February, Sir Keir Starmer went on to say, “When I was director of public prosecutions, I prosecuted many, many cases involving drugs and drug gangs and the criminality that sits behind, and it causes huge issues to vulnerable people across the country.”

The leader went on to suggest that the country’s existing drug laws are “roughly right” however he noted that “there’s always room for a grown-up debate about how we deal with these cases”.

as someone who has lived in a legal weed state since it happened, literally none of the predicted negative effects have come to pass and its been a huge boost to state coffers - most product is taxed 30%+. I don't think (?) there's the same private prison-minority incarceration motivation in the UK, so is it really just because "Keir feels it will hurt vulnerable people"? which people and how?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

ex post facho posted:

why doesn't Keir want to legalize?

ex post facho posted:

it seems like an obvious and winning distinction for Labour to draw between them and the Tories

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the uk is a backwards shithole when it comes to drugs policy, the labour right is very authoritarian even within that context, and he's not just a cop but a super cop

like I don't think it's even possible to go for a charitable psychological explanation like "he can't accept that he ruined lots of people lives for no reason", he is explicitly proud of doing it and thinks it was the right thing to do because drugs=crime

he is a fascist, and a dimwit

e: like how can your argument against legal weed revolve around the harms caused by criminal gangs selling illegal weed unless you're certifiably brain dead

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ex post facho posted:

as an American I'm assuming support for legalization among the population is roughly the same as it is here now (68-75%)

no, not even close.

ex post facho posted:

as someone who has lived in a legal weed state since it happened, literally none of the predicted negative effects have come to pass and its been a huge boost to state coffers - most product is taxed 30%+. I don't think (?) there's the same private prison-minority incarceration motivation in the UK, so is it really just because "Keir feels it will hurt vulnerable people"?

yeah we have private prisons and serco do all the work involving the public ones anyway, just not to the extent the US does because the US prison system is unique. keir starmer's highest profile job was as head of public prosecutions and his chief concern is that he'd be less able to hurt vulnerable people.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The people will not vote for something that reduces pain.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Starmer is an authoritarian to the bone, the labour right are really very right wing

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

You can see the shape of his ideology by where he takes his stands.

He supports the abolition of the rule of law to allow anyone in a position of authority to commit any crimes.

He thinks BLM is nonsense and black people need to respect the police.

He won't support cuts to corporation tax.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reminder that weed in Holland isn't actually legalized* either, and that the ruling parties don't want to legalize it.

*Smoking and buying is decriminalised and not posecuted, if there's anyone who still doesn't know this yet. Growing weed is still fully criminalised and prosecuted. It's a great system.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
There are a few reasons for Labour not being pro-legalisation right now

1. Historically the early Labour party had a big Methodist element who preached sobriety, and while that's no longer the case it's still a cultural thing thing that the Labour party is quite "austere" and not really about fun things. You still see this with some of the older union types who don't treat things like weed legalisation as "serious" politics.

2. Legalisation of weed as a cultural thing is not such a big deal here, partly because the penalities are not so severe (it is defacto decriminalised in a lot of counties because the police have said they will not investigate for possession)

3. Labour is trying to appeal primarily to older white men who traditionally don't use drugs and consider weed smoking to be the domain of young thugs

4. When Labour was last in power they ran on a big law and order platform, part of which was insanely tough drug policy (against expert advice) and a lot of those people are still in the party

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

my dad's extended family is methodist and incredibly posh, i remember being completely baffled for getting told off for swearing and having no idea what i'd said.

i'd said bloody

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
If Rupert Murdoch was in favour of legal weed a law would be passed by the weekend.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
how long will it take until all boomers are dead and we can finally have legal loving weed jesus loving christ

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

oliwan posted:

how long will it take until all boomers are dead and we can finally have legal loving weed jesus loving christ

imo its the british ruling class that are the problem and they aren't gonna simply go away, its only a very small number of people but they reproduce their class and hold to power very effectively, by the time we're 90 we're gonna be dealing with Mogg's 7 MP children

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Mogg isn’t even a proper boomer and is young enough that I look forward to him and his spawn being MPs at the same time.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Do British boomers still have a thing about 'youths' wearing 'hoodies'? I vaguely remember that from trips there like 10 years ago.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Does anyone in UK suffer back problems? I got a lovely TENS belt from Lidl and it's the best thing for alleviating muscle tension, does anyone know what's a good medical grade option available.

I used to work with someone who had a TENs machine surgically implanted inside them, I was too scared to ask any further details.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers

mrmcd posted:

Do British boomers still have a thing about 'youths' wearing 'hoodies'? I vaguely remember that from trips there like 10 years ago.

Hoods are only acceptable on raincoats and/or workwear.

Anyone wearing a hooded jumper with the hood up is viewed like the sewer people in destruction man.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

mrmcd posted:

Absolutely. I've moved to a more working class part of town and everyone over the age of 40 has spun hysterics about quadlocking my doors and buying a dog to keep out hoodie'd chavs. Me Da just about poo poo himself every time we passed the corner shops and some kids in hoodies were hanging around doing... nothing.

SteelMentor has issued a correction as of 17:23 on Feb 24, 2021

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Despite living in a stormy hellscape the British fear being mistaken for the underclass more than they fear wind-chill migranes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1364594114407378951