Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

djfooboo posted:

Bad game is bad
I don't even know what the Red Dragon Inn is other than it has had like a bazillion Kickstarters like it's some kind of subscriber service. What even is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

I don't even know what the Red Dragon Inn is other than it has had like a bazillion Kickstarters like it's some kind of subscriber service. What even is it?

It’s D&D drinking Munchkin.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
D&D drinking Munchkin is a perfect way to describe it, but with the ability to scale up to quite a lot of players, for better or worse.

It's not a terrible party game per se, but it's got that CMON degree of bloat and expansions and collectible poo poo and bonus tie-in characters from pop culture that makes it just seem obnoxious. Like it's not that heavily complex of a card game, but if you own it all and want to bring it to a party, you're gonna need to devote an entire duffel bag to lugging all that poo poo around.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Chubbs posted:

D&D drinking Munchkin is a perfect way to describe it, but with the ability to scale up to quite a lot of players, for better or worse.

Drinking Munchkin that plays 2-8 with player elimination. Nothing says fun like sitting around waiting for a guy to set up the 8-player game, explain the rules for an hour, then getting knocked out almost immediately. On the up side, I didn't have to play the game for 2+ more hours. On the second up side, the host made her famous Black Forest Cake and it was sitting all by itself in the kitchen.

My understanding is that it plays vastly different with 2 players, so people say "this is so fun between the two of us, imagine how much fun it'll be if we shell out $20/person and bring it to game night!"

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
After having all these big box pledges where the updates tend to be about where the seventeen container ships leaving port from China are, it's really endearing to see some of these Zinequest updates that are like "I bought ENVELOPES and they are BLUE!"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

After having all these big box pledges where the updates tend to be about where the seventeen container ships leaving port from China are, it's really endearing to see some of these Zinequest updates that are like "I bought ENVELOPES and they are BLUE!"

Like I'm all for KS as a way to get cool games quicker, but 9 times out of 10 a lot of the actual "I need money to kickstart/develop this" has been taken care of by the time the campaign launches.

That's super endearing to hear about cute updates like that :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

StarkRavingMad posted:

"I bought ENVELOPES and they are BLUE!"

Lighthouse at the edge of the universe?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

jivjov posted:

Lighthouse at the edge of the universe?

I forget which one, but if it rings a bell for you on that front it's likely, since I know that's one of the ones I backed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Vidmaster posted:

Isn’t Miller’s Batman comic considered one of the best Batman comics? I’ve always heard good things about it but I’ve just started hearing a bunch of people hating on it recently.

Dark Knight Returns was very shocking and original for its time but its aged moderately badly and most of the cool moments have been integrated into other Batman media anyway. And yes, Frank Miller turned into a literal fascist.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 24, 2021

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

a lot of batman's quirks from dkr were whitewashed and integrated into the main comic down the line but in the actual work he was much more militaristic (constantly referred to Robin as a "good soldier" which is one of the more obnoxius holdovers) and had a more embittered, right wing personality, notably a much more relaxed attitude toward guns. it was to the point that dkr was eventually classified as an alternate universe rather than a what if future of the main batman line because the character was such a departure from what came before and after

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

a lot of stereotypes about grimdark snarly WHERE ARE THEY batman have their root in dkr because that's often the only work people read

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

dkr's lasting legacy for me will always be miller's hilariously out of touch notion of how teenagers talk

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I was just a lot more interested in the other Batman board games (IDW Animated Series one that hopefully delivers and Gotham City Chronicles even though it's supremely fiddly) because they actually contained a ton of his villains. Batman's villains are the coolest part, not necessarily him or one constrained storyline.

The Dark Knight Returns is just too small of a universe for me to get interested.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

dwarf74 posted:

However, the Batman game ... isn't doing so well? It hasn't come anywhere close to hitting goal yet. Maybe because it's a solo-only board game, which is kinda weird? Maybe it's not enough plastic for price for minis-hunters? Maybe it's just getting out-competed by everything else that launched today? It's weird, because I would have also expected a bajillion dollars but it's 160k compared to Tiny Epic Dungeons (642k) and Root (>1m)

Also doesn't help that they are soliciting it though normal distro https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Prod...il&utm_content= There is text in there about 'It's crowdfunded, so it might not exist!' but I would be willing to bet that people ordering off a site like that aren't reading that far. So who knows how much money that campaign is missing out on. :downsbravo:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

StarkRavingMad posted:

I forget which one, but if it rings a bell for you on that front it's likely, since I know that's one of the ones I backed.

That one had an update about blue envelopes and blue cover art and is that too much blue.

But yeah, I'm really enjoying zine updates. Takes the edge off waiting for Battlecon errata and for Millennium Blades to ship.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I've been working on a game I am planning on kickstarting this fall and I've been struggling with the most effective ways to market it. I'm wondering what you all would expect to see from a game like this.

We've designed a deckbuilder historical wargame. It is meant to serve as an entry point to wargaming for those that are not overly comfortable with or familiar with the genre. We've picked a conflict that would help us build the game from a feminist perspective, and have focused on that in the background design of the game. I hired a woman from Canada to be the lead designer to co-design the game with me. I've hired a cultural consultant, and the illustrator for the project is of the cultural group represented in the game. The conflict is the final French conquest of Algeria in the Kabylia, which was led by a woman named Fadhma N'Soumer which has been called by several French writers as the Joan of Arc of Algeria. This takes place in 1857 and is something we expect our English language audience to have never heard of before. The game can be played solo, is for 1-4 players and a co-op experience. You must play as the colonized, the colonizer is run by the automa.

Any thoughts on marketing a project like this? I want the fact we consciously tried to make a feminist wargame to be part of it but I don't want it to be in anyone's face. I'd rather those kinds of design decisions be evident through what we show of the game rather than just be super upfront about it. I want to be able to pull in both those new to the wargaming genre and more experienced wargamers. The only thing I can figure to achieve this so far is to make sure I have plenty of women do the previews/reviews of the game to help gain access to their audiences.

I'm waiting on 8 more art pieces before my graphic designer can do a mock up box cover and some card images so I can start marketing in earnest before the campaign this fall.

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005
Have you heard the Go News?

nesbit37 posted:

I've been working on a game I am planning on kickstarting this fall and I've been struggling with the most effective ways to market it. I'm wondering what you all would expect to see from a game like this.

We've designed a deckbuilder historical wargame. It is meant to serve as an entry point to wargaming for those that are not overly comfortable with or familiar with the genre. We've picked a conflict that would help us build the game from a feminist perspective, and have focused on that in the background design of the game. I hired a woman from Canada to be the lead designer to co-design the game with me. I've hired a cultural consultant, and the illustrator for the project is of the cultural group represented in the game. The conflict is the final French conquest of Algeria in the Kabylia, which was led by a woman named Fadhma N'Soumer which has been called by several French writers as the Joan of Arc of Algeria. This takes place in 1857 and is something we expect our English language audience to have never heard of before. The game can be played solo, is for 1-4 players and a co-op experience. You must play as the colonized, the colonizer is run by the automa.

Any thoughts on marketing a project like this? I want the fact we consciously tried to make a feminist wargame to be part of it but I don't want it to be in anyone's face. I'd rather those kinds of design decisions be evident through what we show of the game rather than just be super upfront about it. I want to be able to pull in both those new to the wargaming genre and more experienced wargamers. The only thing I can figure to achieve this so far is to make sure I have plenty of women do the previews/reviews of the game to help gain access to their audiences.

I'm waiting on 8 more art pieces before my graphic designer can do a mock up box cover and some card images so I can start marketing in earnest before the campaign this fall.

Honestly in the historical wargame space you'll stand out if the art features women in any way, I don't think you'll have to push it.

Sounds very cool though.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Adam Kensai posted:

Honestly in the historical wargame space you'll stand out if the art features women in any way, I don't think you'll have to push it.

Sounds very cool though.

Well except for the one way.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

The only thing I can figure to achieve this so far is to make sure I have plenty of women do the previews/reviews of the game to help gain access to their audiences.

Potentially hosting some interviews with your design team as an aside to the campaign would be another option as well, or posting design diaries as an update during the campaign to highlight it.

Very interested to see more info on this.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Final 12 hours of my Morkus und Borgus Kickstarter for EVERY GOD WILL FALL.

We're at $661, which is almost a metal number!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I tried to bump it up to the Cool Number but someone dropped at the exact same time I backed I guess, anyway cool thing!
edit wait nevermind we did it

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 25, 2021

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Looks like someone (admittedly not me) did the Cool Thing.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
A buddy of mine did it. Now we're past the devil number so HERE'S AN UPDATE ABOUT THAT:

ART PREVIEWS! LAYOUT PREVIEWS! DEVIL NUMBER! EVERY FKN' GOD!!!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

We're funded and headed along to our first stretch goal, where I go on to commission a bunch more art for this 'zine!
Looking forward to folks helping us shove this over the first stretch so I can reach out.

Take a look if you haven't already, and share it around if you don't mind! Every little bit makes this better.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just shared it with my pool the nerds that make up my Facebook friends list!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Greg Stolze just launch a Kickstarter for a Termination Shock supplement,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gregstolze/different-trouble

I should F&F Termination Shock, it's a really clever system.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lol, I just got a begging email from Cryptozoic (because I packed Ghostbusters 2) asking me to pledge for Dark Knight Returns. Reading the big text between the lines, they are apparently not doing as well as they thought they would.

quote:

Thanks to all of our loyal backers, our project is off to a great start! Three days in and we're currently at $225k or our $250k funding goal.

We're reaching out to YOU because you expressed interest in our Kickstarter, (I bloody well did not) and we wanted to make sure that you pledge now so we could start unlocking stretch goals for everyone. The first one has already been revealed - engraving everyone's batarangs and custom dice - with even better stuff to come!

There's also an announcement coming once we reach funding that we know a lot of you who are on the fence about backing our solo game will be excited to hear. It's a special surprise that a lot of backers have been asking about. The faster we get to $250k, the faster everyone will know -- so let's spread the word!

Pledge Now!
Your early pledge will help us have the strongest possible launch!

Thanks!

Cryptozoic Entertainment

You are receiving this email because you backed Ghostbusters: The Board Game II.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think at this point it was just a poorly timed launch date.

Legit don't know why so many games decided to launch on Feb 23, but between that and paying a premium for the Batman license I think it's doing as well as could be expected.
They've obviously hoped to make a trillion dollars off the back of this thing with stretch goals, which don't even have values listed against them on the campaign page.

The Batarang dice are super cute, even if I think they'd be weighted terribly.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It's also a solo-only game, so it's a bit more of a niche audience.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's also a solo-only game, so it's a bit more of a niche audience.

I think one of the stretch goals they're teasing in the email is a non-solo mode.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The phrase "for those on the fence about our solo game" certainly makes it sound like they're going to do something to change that. Co-op mode with sidekicks maybe?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Seems like a dumb way to market it, if they've got a co-op mode ready

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Seems like a dumb way to market it, if they've got a co-op mode ready

Yeah, that was my thought. Or at least announce it front and centre as your first stretch goal.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I feel like I’ve heard about some issues with Cryptozoic Kickstarters but maybe I’m wrong.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I feel like I’ve heard about some issues with Cryptozoic Kickstarters but maybe I’m wrong.

I backed their original Ghostbusters KS, and people were reporting seeing it in stores before the backers got theirs.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I have a couple of solo games that added coop modes in new editions (Nemo's War and Dawn of the Zeds) and the thing they did not add was any reason to involve other people. I know a bunch of people consider coops basically just solitaire anyway, but believe me, there's a difference between a game that's designed for coop and a solo game with tacked on coop, and those games demonstrate it very clearly. So I'd be skeptical of Dark Knight Returns promising such a thing.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

isn't that batman game also competing with the other one that has more and better minis and seasonal releases or something?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I didn't back any of them but I've never heard anything good about the games themselves. Puddle deep systems with hastily written rules riding the nostalgia factor of the license.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Might be just me, but after those awful sequels to DKR I don't really want anything else associated with Miller's Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

CODChimera posted:

isn't that batman game also competing with the other one that has more and better minis and seasonal releases or something?

The IDW adventure one with all the minis is looking to ship sometime in the near future, too.