Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

More of a long-term plan that's only adjacent to what you're asking, but you could watch the movie The Flight of Dragons with them and then years later when they're older and more into science you could give them the book which is basically just a dude hypothesizing how dragons could work. (e.g. the wingspan necessary to make a dragon fly would by absurd so let's assume they eat limestone that mixes with stomach acid to create hydrogen gas and dragons are basically blimps, and since hydrogen is flammable we have an explanation for breathing fire, and since eating limestone would demolish teeth we can guess that maybe they had a craw full of gems to grind it up which explains the hoarding, etc.) It's obviously more than a bit silly in the premise, but it's cute. And since I wore our VHS copy of the movie down to nothing at about their age, when I found the book at like 10 years old I lost my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Faerie Fire is a very pretty third party 5e bestiary.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I am suddenly reminded of that one Vampire supplemental book which covered the 80s.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

canyoneer posted:

oh yeah, I forgot about that.
Skip it or get it from the library instead
No way to win I'm afraid, if everyone gets it from the library it'll be constantly checked out, flagged as high demand and they'll buy a second copy.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Arivia posted:

or you could not give arguably the transphobe with the biggest platform in the world any money, so don't do that and don't buy it

Amazon posted:

45 Used from $4.12

Don't have to give her money to get that book.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The limited edition of Glitch is now available on IPR for $75 if you want something a bit fancier than PoD.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CitizenKeen posted:

My four year old kid loves my 5th Edition Monster Manual. He's memorized it.

I'd like other good monster manuals, because I'd like him to not grow too fond of D&D.

What are some awesome books of monsters that are encyclopedic both in their coverage and in their descriptions. Should be kid appropriate for sex and violence and spookiness (as appropriate as the 5th Edition Monster Manual is, because that ship sailed). Needs beautiful color pictures, obviously. Should be in print.

Any genre. Get at me.
Cryptozoologicon. A lot of big words though, and may cause age appropriate nightmares.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 3, 2021

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

CitizenKeen posted:

I'd like other good monster manuals, because I'd like him to not grow too fond of D&D.

What are some awesome books of monsters that are encyclopedic both in their coverage and in their descriptions. Should be kid appropriate for sex and violence and spookiness (as appropriate as the 5th Edition Monster Manual is, because that ship sailed). Needs beautiful color pictures, obviously. Should be in print.

Any genre. Get at me.

I really like the Bestiaries (I and II) from 13th age. Their well illustrated, but I think mostly I think 13th age handles how enemy roles, balancing (being able to really easily put together interesting battles on the fly quickly) and doing different interesting things. For example, one of my favorite monsters is the red caps, who have special abilities if the party says certain words the GM chooses. I don't see that interesting variety in D&D.

E: I missed the kid appropriate part, though I don't think it's any less appropriate than the 5e one. (The red cap entry I think uses censored versions of swear words)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wish two of my players weren't always so passive in responding to mails cause right now I don't know if they accepted me shutting the campaign down and are making plans for next time, or if they're still processing me shutting it down, or if they're in fact only going to learn about it the night before our next online meeting.

I'm learning to categorize that kind of stuff as Their Problem tho

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver

CitizenKeen posted:

Any genre. Get at me.

One which diverges from the brief but which I really enjoyed playing around with (and would have loved as a kid) is Goodman Games' "The Monster Alphabet" (Here's some previews of pages, Here's the print version). It's a big, very lushly illustrated book of tables for generating monsters where you drop a load of dice onto a big drop table in the front of the book which tells you where to go next. Then you're turning to the Eyes page then rolling a bunch of dice, then turning to the Arms page and rolling a bunch of dice, then the Treasure page and rolling a bunch of dice and so on, building up this wild unique monster as you go.
Benefits: system agnostic, might encourage your kid to draw or write stories about these cool unique monsters, A lot of fun to play with, IIRC entirely kid appropriate (save for some violent descriptions but only as bad as D&D's)
Issues: exclusively B&W pictures throughout, no defined monsters beyond those you create yourself

Macdoo fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 4, 2021

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is anyone willing to do a PBP FATE game? I've always had a hard time understanding it, and I'd love to pick someone's brain on how it's actually supposed to work.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wish two of my players weren't always so passive in responding to mails cause right now I don't know if they accepted me shutting the campaign down and are making plans for next time, or if they're still processing me shutting it down, or if they're in fact only going to learn about it the night before our next online meeting.

I'm learning to categorize that kind of stuff as Their Problem tho

Yeah that's part of why I got really into games with more reactive GMing and more episodic sessions, that way I'm not really put out by players not prepping or last minute confirmation/dropping out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Boba Pearl posted:

Is anyone willing to do a PBP FATE game? I've always had a hard time understanding it, and I'd love to pick someone's brain on how it's actually supposed to work.
I gotta say, I was very turned off by Fate when it first came out because the "How to play Fate" resources were very bad.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Halloween Jack posted:

I gotta say, I was very turned off by Fate when it first came out because the "How to play Fate" resources were very bad.

I'm still turned off it on account of how abstract it tries to be. Interested in seeing better learning resources though I don't think it's going to help much.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think Fate is one of those games that got showered with praise for the innovation of being A Game That Isn't D20, Please Anything But More D20 Garbage I'm Begging You in 2003.

Aspects felt like a godsend at a time when most games were statting up traits like "I'm a merman" with a bunch of fussy fiddly little rules. Breathes water, takes less damage from this, takes more damage from that, if you're out of water for more than X hours you take Y penalty until my organs are shutting down from sheer boredom just typing this send help

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

It wasn't even the first, didn't Over the Edge do it in the first and second editions? It just benefited from being generic (and hence unfocused enough to make aspects a problem and not a help, for me).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, I think you're right. Fate was derived from FUDGE, after all. But it presented itself as a universal multi-genre toolkit, in ways that earlier rules-lite freeform games did not.

This culminated in Strands of Fate, which is very weird because it basically tried to be D20/GURPS/Hero for rules-lightish games. Lots of fiddly create-your-own-stuff subsystems bolted onto Fate. So you got all the slippery free-for-all bullshit of Fate paired with all the fussy fiddly bullshit of a universal toolkit system. It's basically been supplanted by games like Dresden Files and Atomic Robo.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 4, 2021

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Strands of Fate was such a weird beast. Taking pre-Core Fate and trying to meld it with 3.x option-heavy design created such an insane mess of a system. It comes from the Fate era where you had 10 aspects and people still didn't really get how to write them well. So you ended up with characters like this:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I got really tired of sentence-long Aspects, in much the same way that I'm now tired of PBTA games aping AW's writing style whether it suits their game or not.

Better Never to Have Been: The Harm of Poser Art

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Strands of Fate was such a weird beast. Taking pre-Core Fate and trying to meld it with 3.x option-heavy design created such an insane mess of a system. It comes from the Fate era where you had 10 aspects and people still didn't really get how to write them well. So you ended up with characters like this:

Gentlemen the situation is dire. I need a somewhat worse Lara Croft and a clubbin' Poser Art Vampire Indiana Jones with too big a hat on my desk by three. Give me options!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Sigh, looks like we’re going to have to “Seek and Destroy the Dark Forces”. Here we go again!

*gets +2 to every roll in the campaign*

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

theironjef posted:

Gentlemen the situation is dire. I need a somewhat worse Lara Croft and a clubbin' Poser Art Vampire Indiana Jones with too big a hat on my desk by three. Give me options!
You know what that team needs?

A pseudo-naked mutant hacker!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

I'd be interested as well. I read the core book and it sounded interesting conceptually, and I played a session of Accelerated, but would be interested in seeing more of it in action.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

DalaranJ posted:

Sigh, looks like we’re going to have to “Seek and Destroy the Dark Forces”. Here we go again!

*gets +2 to every roll in the campaign*
But what if, sometimes, you don't want to destroy the dark forces? Then it's a penalty!

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

CitizenKeen posted:

Any genre. Get at me.

The kid is gonna wanna play D&D.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

SkyeAuroline posted:

It wasn't even the first, didn't Over the Edge do it in the first and second editions? It just benefited from being generic (and hence unfocused enough to make aspects a problem and not a help, for me).

OtE used freeform skills, which were a bit like Aspects, but omitted the “invoking for effect” option.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

When it first came out, before Fate Core came out and it was based on weird hacks of Dresden Files, I found it pretty offputting. I gave it another look a couple years ago because the Fate Core PDF was very cheap and I found it a lot more interesting and palatable, and even went and bought the physical book of it (which, by the way, is one of the highest quality RPG books I've ever held in my hands, as far as binding, paper and cover quality, etc.). Part of why I like it better now is probably because I have since gained enough RPG experience to understand why you'd want to play a game like this to begin with, but also because the early presentation of it was pretty poor.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I still don't really quite get fate but I basically made Coach from L4D2 and fought zombies, nazis, space aliens, and put out a self-help book before going to outer space for one game

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My gateway to “there is more to RPGs than tons of rules and crunch” was Feng Shui. Mook rules alone just seemed so amazing at the time.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hey why was it that World of Darkness won out over Nightlife!?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm willing to run a teaching game of FATE, but not a PBP one. FATE requires a decent amount of quick back-and-forth and that hasn't worked well for me with posting. Are you on any of the Discords, or does voice/VTT stuff not work for you or fit your schedule?

Glazius fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 5, 2021

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

canyoneer posted:

I just ordered a stack of Pokemon singles for my kids on tcgplayer and they sent me someone else's order

Update here, TCGPlayer took care of this really well.
It was sold through the TCGPlayer Direct fulfillment, which is where TCGPlayer ships it all in one package from their inventory and then the individual sellers replenish TCGPlayer's inventory in bulk.

It took a couple days for them to get back to me, and they offered a full refund (credit or original payment) plus $15 in credit for the trouble. The idea is that I can reorder the stuff right away and they'll send a prepaid mailer for me to return the erroneous merchandise. Very pleased with that interaction.

Also, I'm discovering that I can manually do better than their cart optimizer nearly every time in saving on shipping :cool:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My latest new player is so endearingly concerned with realism in his ability scores :3:

he's making a 120 year old human mage and was like "I'd like a bit more HP but it feels like cheating the system to give him 14 CON just for HP, he's 120 years old, he'll be frail as hell"
"Think about it this way: how are you even gonna make it to 120 if you don't have incredible constitution?"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

I got really tired of sentence-long Aspects, in much the same way that I'm now tired of PBTA games aping AW's writing style whether it suits their game or not.

But if I don't have quippy asides and forced overly-causal language in my rulebook, how will you know how With It I am?

Evil Mastermind posted:

You know what that team needs?

A pseudo-naked mutant hacker!

Why is she so shiny?

Shredding that mugger's Achilles tendons with oversized fish hooks sprouting from the ground feels a bit like overkill after the lady explodes his face

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nuns with Guns posted:

Shredding that mugger's Achilles tendons with oversized fish hooks sprouting from the ground feels a bit like overkill after the lady explodes his face

Well. It's a cat.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I got the impression that electrical wires were ripping their way out of the ground to blast him with lightning, kind of like somebody heard about coincidental magic from Ascension but got most of the details wrong.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

knife to meat you

pretend those are meathooks for this joke, ok?

I also didn't realize there's another dead mugger in identical shoes due to the way their jeans blended in with the street. I just thought the dude was mugging the lady and her magical cat for a second pair of sneakers at first.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 7, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I've been looking at a lot of microgames on itch.io recently, so I made a thread about it. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961392

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

knife to meat you

pretend those are meathooks for this joke, ok?
I think they are supposed to be meathooks being summoned out of the street?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think they are supposed to be meathooks being summoned out of the street?
Either that or his tendons are escaping into the cracks in the street.