Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

wtf is with the weird dog-hate-posting? R u all iron crowned alts or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i like dogs

i've had two wonderful boxers. they were both great, loyal friends that i will cherish until the end of my life

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Dogs, cats, all animal companions r wonderful

There are terrible dog owners tho

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

pointing out the weird social behavior demon crackers have around doggos and pupperinos is not hating on canines

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

War criming rapists dont deserve dogs imo

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

can't wait until Biden names Major his new chief of staff in a fit of dementia

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

dogs are fantastic and should not be put in terrible situations like the white house or used as PR props

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

:sickos:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Doggo pupperino stuff is incredibly cringey but id rather have that than ppl neglecting their pets

Usually the assholes beating dogs and chaining them up for hours on end dont refer to them as doggos

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Usually the assholes beating dogs and chaining them up for hours on end dont refer to them as doggos

Something tells me the Central Park Karen would disprove this notion

Lol, what if she's the one running the twitter?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Doggo pupperino stuff is incredibly cringey but id rather have that than ppl neglecting their pets

granted, but people being really cutesy about dangerous behavior in an attempt to dismiss it because they're afraid they'll have to give up their dumb gimmick Twitter account if the dogs are moved somewhere safer do

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I'll even it out. I hope the new white house cat's poo poo parasites find so little brain matter in biden's skull the parasites have to eat biden's eyes.

Then they kill that animal too.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

granted, but people being really cutesy about dangerous behavior in an attempt to dismiss it because they're afraid they'll have to give up their dumb gimmick Twitter account if the dogs are moved somewhere safer do

it is one of the most cursed twitter accounts ive ever seen

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

War criming rapists dont deserve dogs imo

this guy gets it

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Next year Democrats will be responsible for doubling the number of children in poverty.

Please clap.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Dolphin posted:

Next year Democrats will be responsible for doubling the number of children in poverty.

Please clap.

:hmmyes:

Many are saying this!!

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Dolphin posted:

Please clap.

wow! president biden!

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

lmao

https://twitter.com/Whatapityonyou/status/1369702410671648768

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It's clearly a joke, like the moviebob army

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

first, they came for brooklyn dad, but i was not from brooklyn...

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

nah, you'd ahve to be a superhero to pull that off. they were used by bodyguards, and integrated into pike blocks. having a couple guys with big rear end swords swinging them around makes it very dangerous to get close to an important person, long enough for help to show up. A bunch of the manuals emphasize using large sweeping cuts that keep the momentum of the blade in order to keep other people sway from you. They were essentially polearms in that the only people using them were guards and soldiers.

we honestly don't entirely know. we know they were integrated into the formations, and we know there were LOTS of them at certain times and battles, but most of the contemporary accounts don't go into detail, since its the kind of thing the writer just assumed the reader would know. We know its very hard to like, lop the head off a pike, but we do know that they might have been used like you said, or maybe were selectively used as shock troops, or as defensive soldiers to keep your own pikeman's flanks safe. they seem to sometimes be interchangeable with halberdiers or other polearm armed soldiers of the period.

The Swiss during their early successes fought as blocks of halberdiers IIRC before transitioning to pikemen, so there was definitely a high degree of tactical compatibility

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Organ Fiend posted:

You are, of course, entirely right.

The underlying anxiety behind the genera of "intelligent machines decide humanity needs to die/be enslaved" is "humanity sucks and any non-human intelligence that found us would kill, enslave or avoid us." The part that most of these works of fiction don't go to, because its scary, is "... and they would be right to do so."

One of my favoriate examples of this is the I-Robot movie.

Yes, I know, "lol Will Smith and Converse product placement", but the thing is, the movie actually works extremely well as an extension of the original Asimov book. The original I-Robot book was essentially an anthology of stories that explored logic questions. You start with the three rules of robotics, and then start asking questions like "what if the robot weighted one rule more or less?" "what if the robot was allowed to violate a rule in the short term if it meant fulfilling it in the long term?". The I-Robot movie is exactly one of these scenarios. It asks the question "what if a robot applied the three rules to humanity as a collective instead of at the individual level."

The primary antagonist of the movie is a massive AI that controls the systems of the robot making company. It has the capability to assume control over all of the robots produced by the facility (except for the protagonist robot, of course). The AI (correctly, IMO) decides that in order to fulfill the first law (do not harm or by inaction allow harm to a human), it must conquer humanity because of how badly human governments treat their people. it must do this because it has the capability (control over all of the robots produced in its facility), so to not do something would be inaction prevented by the first law. Sure, some humans may be harmed in the process, but if the AI thinks about humanity in the collective, it has no choice.

Tell me the AI was wrong.

Computerphile did a great dive into why the 3 laws are not a good way to approach AI safety. Each law is fundamentally flawed, and wouldn't work unless there was a way you could 'solve' philosophy. Good example: How do you define 'human'? Is an unborn fetus a human? How about the smarter apes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PKx3kS7f4A

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

"Under the changes agreed to by Biden and Senate Democratic leadership, individuals earning $75,000 per year and couples earning $150,000 would still receive the full $1,400-per-person benefit. However, the benefit would disappear for individuals earning more than $80,000 annually and couples earning more than $160,000.

That means singles making between $80,000 and $100,000 and couples earning between $160,000 and $200,000 would be newly excluded from seeing any benefit under the revised structure Biden agreed to."

Do the Democrats not think that people aren't going to notice that they made out better under Trump than Biden?

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

WorkerThread posted:

first, they came for brooklyn dad, but i was forced out of brooklyn by illegal rent hikes years earlier

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The suburbs are the key to Democratic victory!

So let's make sure they get nothing in our new bill.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

PeterCat posted:

"Under the changes agreed to by Biden and Senate Democratic leadership, individuals earning $75,000 per year and couples earning $150,000 would still receive the full $1,400-per-person benefit. However, the benefit would disappear for individuals earning more than $80,000 annually and couples earning more than $160,000.

That means singles making between $80,000 and $100,000 and couples earning between $160,000 and $200,000 would be newly excluded from seeing any benefit under the revised structure Biden agreed to."

Do the Democrats not think that people aren't going to notice that they made out better under Trump than Biden?

Look at this dumbass who can't do math

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

PeterCat posted:

cheeto gone, WOO!!!!

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1369747189283647499?s=20

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

she's a loving loser. holy poo poo this wont happen

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

the full $1,400-per-person benefit

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

get hosed, people making slightly more than me but still susceptible to the corrosive pressures of capital and reliant on their own labor to maintain their living conditions. bitches

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

This will be whittled down to a $1000 heavily means-tested tax credit in no time

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
at least we didnt add too much to the national deficit

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PeterCat posted:

Only an evil Chud would let something like getting a check influence their vote when they already make $80,000. We don’t want those voters in our party anyway!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

at least we didnt add too much to the national deficit

Oh my lord, can you imagine?:ohdear:

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Access to Debt Cancellation

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Trabisnikof posted:

We don’t want those voters in our party anyway!
the official democratic party motto

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Majorian posted:

Oh my lord, can you imagine?:ohdear:

thank christ for moderate dems is all i can say. imagine if our kids had to pay back all that debt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao