Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Horny for Morn.

Morny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In the DS9 episode where Worfs brother wanted to die, why didnt he just join a Bird of Prey to fight on in battle against Cardassia?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I said come in! posted:

In the DS9 episode where Worfs brother wanted to die, why didnt he just join a Bird of Prey to fight on in battle against Cardassia?
That was during the second time that the House of Mogh was disgraced, so there was no way for him to serve in the military.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
drat I'm rewatching DS9 , been for a while now , but I'm in the last half of Season 7 now and it is really depressing to know what happens to Sisko when he's talking about building a house on Bajar .

Bring back Sisko in the new Picard series I say.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Say he came back a few months later and has been happily living on Bajor raising his daughter with Kass for the past two decades.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hollismason posted:

drat I'm rewatching DS9 , been for a while now , but I'm in the last half of Season 7 now and it is really depressing to know what happens to Sisko when he's talking about building a house on Bajar .

Instead, bring him back in something good.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Sisko ended up coming back in the novels, but it was honestly a rather bittersweet affair. He was reunited with his family and settled into civilian life on Bajor, but he never found much in the way of peace there. The Prophets ceased to communicate with him in any fashion, and Ben felt he had been abandoned by them after he had fulfilled his purpose as Emissary. He ended up being called back to the colors with that giant Borg invasion in the Destiny novels, and after that he ended up in command of a Galaxy-class ship exploring the rear end end of the Gamma Quadrant. He ended up spending a lot of time isolating himself from his crew and tried to separate from Kassidy, though she refused to accept the divorce and pushed him to start opening up again.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Axe-man posted:

Isn't Janeway's Law: Stop being attracted to anyone, and then yelling at random bums for being inconsiderate to you, before genociding a race?

Look I appreciate they made Seven bi, but really she should've been married to Janeway if they wanted it to mean anything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am sad about Picard season 2 happening. I hope it ends up being canceled.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really hated everything they did with Sisko in the relaunch stuff

The last novel they did involving Sisko had these Gamma Quadrant aliens kidnapping his young daughter from the ship along with all of the other children on the ship. Apparently this race reproduces by kidnapping children and transferring their minds into artificial beings. This happens to Sisko's daughter, but thanks to her having some kind of weird Prophet powers she is able to undo this and rewind time to stop it from happening. We also find out in a flashback that as a younger child she had been kidnapped and almost murdered by a Bajoran religious fanatic but thanks to her powers she was also able to stop that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I am sad about Picard season 2 happening. I hope it ends up being canceled.

I hope they film just one episode, and it has Q show up, having watched the entire show, say this is loving terrible, and snap, it's just the ending to All Good Things. Q winks at the audience and bows. The End.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eimi posted:

I hope they film just one episode, and it has Q show up, having watched the entire show, say this is loving terrible, and snap, it's just the ending to All Good Things. Q winks at the audience and bows. The End.

I would accept this too. I just want Picard as a character to loving die already. The TNG cast is forever ruined.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I would accept this too. I just want Picard as a character to loving die already. The TNG cast is forever ruined.

It's pretty amazing how much Patrick Stewart has torpedo'd Picard as a character. You'd figure if he hated him that much he'd just do what Harrison Ford did and demand he be killed (permanently)

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Any time you feel culturally inadequate, remember that Dune Buggy Stewart is taken entirely seriously in Posh Wine Circles as a Serious Shakespearean Actor

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The Picard Guy

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

MikeJF posted:

Say he came back a few months later and has been happily living on Bajor raising his daughter with Kass for the past two decades.

Turns out there was just a big trampoline net at the bottom of the fire pits , and a door to a really steep bunch of stairs

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Do you have Prophets in your house?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Royal Updog posted:

Do you have Prophets in your house?

I am of Bajor

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eimi posted:

It's pretty amazing how much Patrick Stewart has torpedo'd Picard as a character. You'd figure if he hated him that much he'd just do what Harrison Ford did and demand he be killed (permanently)
My impression is that Stewart doesn't hate Picard unless there's some detail I am missing, it is that he is an astounding actor and not a very good writer. He also has different pressures now (as an old man) than he did in the 80s and 90s.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Oh man i tried watching picard, couldn't even get past the federation CNN scene. the producers don't seem to realize that star trek isnt just supposed to be our world but future or even scarier, they think they already live in some utopia

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
If you're Patrick Stewart, performing Hamlet in Soho is the real job, and Star Trek is where you go to piss about with your friends and do fun camp action poo poo.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Pastamania posted:

If you're Patrick Stewart, performing Hamlet in Soho is the real job, and Star Trek is where you go to piss about with your friends and do fun camp action poo poo.

I actually have no problem with old man Patrick Stewart acting

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have done Hamlet on a dirt bike

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sash! posted:

I suspect you may have watched some other show while under the impression that it was Friends.

I never understood the Ferengi naked females thing. There is titanic profit to be had from the fashion industry that you could have imposed on half of your society.

DS9 did a lot less of the Ferengi just doing bad things because they're arbitrarily supposed to be villains, but that definitely seems like one. It doesn't exactly gel with the rest of the Ferengi society since it requires caring about your financial dependents and maintaining that social order seems like it'd take more upkeep than the Ferengi are usually willing to put out.

But even more than that, it's an extremely weird choice to write for a TV show setting where you intend to show the women at some point, because immediately it will just fall apart and you'll never be able to show it, and then you just lied to the viewers about your worldbuilding.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Picard would have been indiana jones in any other setting than star trek. never forget.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Isn't a big part of it that a lot of Picards mannerisms were like Patrick Stewart. There's lots of talk about how on the set of TNG he was a bit aloof, didn't appreciate pranks and the like.

Then after years working with them he opened up, and in the last couple of decades of realising Star Trek didn't become his entire career he managed to be more light hearted about it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Senor Tron posted:

Isn't a big part of it that a lot of Picards mannerisms were like Patrick Stewart. There's lots of talk about how on the set of TNG he was a bit aloof, didn't appreciate pranks and the like.

Then after years working with them he opened up, and in the last couple of decades of realising Star Trek didn't become his entire career he managed to be more light hearted about it.

Yes. Also Patrick Stewart is portraying a character that has gotten old and mellowed out with age, living on a vineyard without stress. In real life, it would be weird if a personality wouldn't have changed in 3 decades.

I hear the criticisms but I don't mind the current portrayal. Things change as they should. Although I agree that Picard is a low tier star trek show but that's fine, I can still enjoy it for what it is.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
If anyone who knows how could make an animated gif of the Jem'Hadar soldier in DS9 S6E2, Rocks and Shoals, when he says "It is time for the white," I would be incredibly grateful. Honestly surprised I can't find like a million of them. Comes at about 8 minutes, 40 seconds into the episode. Pretty please??

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

DS9 did a lot less of the Ferengi just doing bad things because they're arbitrarily supposed to be villains, but that definitely seems like one. It doesn't exactly gel with the rest of the Ferengi society since it requires caring about your financial dependents and maintaining that social order seems like it'd take more upkeep than the Ferengi are usually willing to put out.

But even more than that, it's an extremely weird choice to write for a TV show setting where you intend to show the women at some point, because immediately it will just fall apart and you'll never be able to show it, and then you just lied to the viewers about your worldbuilding.

Clothed hu-mon (half Betazoid) females was a thing in TNG, my feeling is that DS9 had to keep that stupid lore for canon reasons. It worked better in TNG where the Ferengi were just a ship full of men doing bad stuff.

But it's dumb as hell still. I guess you could do a GoT type show with lots of (young, attractive) Ferengi. It would be very bad on all counts, so very modern Trek!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The US was an agressively capitalist society that was also profoundly misogynistic for most of its history (and largely still is, if readjusting to a more inclusive woke neoliberalism these days), it not strange for a society to hold outwardly contradictory social values. Like the Klingons never shut up about honour but the leaders of the great houses are all duplicitous backstabbing snakes, what's the deal with that?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

It's a miracle that the Klingons even made it out to space instead of wiping themselves out. I think Worf may be one of my favourite characters but the Klingon race is pretty annoying.
Worf has that wholesome human upbringing.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

multijoe posted:

The US was an agressively capitalist society that was also profoundly misogynistic for most of its history (and largely still is, if readjusting to a more inclusive woke neoliberalism these days), it not strange for a society to hold outwardly contradictory social values. Like the Klingons never shut up about honour but the leaders of the great houses are all duplicitous backstabbing snakes, what's the deal with that?

In the majority of the US, if you're a hemp farmer and your hemp accidentally becomes weed, you have to destroy it all, because it's one of the devil's drugs instead of one of the good ones

No society is immune to arbitrary moral panics that get in the way of the common good (or just good business). And this is, in fact, exactly what DS9 explores.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

It's a miracle that the Klingons even made it out to space instead of wiping themselves out. I think Worf may be one of my favourite characters but the Klingon race is pretty annoying.
Worf has that wholesome human upbringing.

The klingons are clearly in decline and have been for some time. They're cargo culting what made the empire great while dismantling the less glorious things that actually made it work. Like the klingon scientist on TNG who was always on the defensive because no one had ever heard of a klingon scientist, why wouldn't you rather be a warrior? Clearly they had some top notch scientists at some point to invent warp and cloaks and disruptors. But then they focused on using them instead of improving them and now the empire isn't going too well.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BonHair posted:

The klingons are clearly in decline and have been for some time. They're cargo culting what made the empire great while dismantling the less glorious things that actually made it work. Like the klingon scientist on TNG who was always on the defensive because no one had ever heard of a klingon scientist, why wouldn't you rather be a warrior? Clearly they had some top notch scientists at some point to invent warp and cloaks and disruptors. But then they focused on using them instead of improving them and now the empire isn't going too well.

I thought they got cloaks from a trade with the Romulans.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I often wondered why we never saw any races that were under the control of the Klingon Empire but not actually Klingons - I mean, they can't have just been going around conquering empty planets, and the Federation wouldn't have allied with them if their SOP was to rock up and genocide any species in their territory. Maybe they're the ones who do all the scientific work.

Glorbian: We accidentally developed this terrible weapon that disintegrates organic matter in a protracted and agonising way. But luckily for the galaxy, we would never use such a-
[Klingon fleet darkens the sky]
Klingon: A horrible weapon? gently caress yeah, we'll have that! (And your planet too.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I thought they got cloaks from a trade with the Romulans.

Speculated on, since the Romulans were the first time anyone had seen cloaks in TOS and then later in the series it was established there was a tech trade between them and then later on than that Klingons had cloaks.

But Discovery's retconned it and declared that Klingons had cloaking tech ~10 years before TOS and used it in the Federation-Klingon war.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 11, 2021

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

But Discovery's

I'm sorry, did you say something? All I heard after this was 30 seconds of farting through a megaphone.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I always assumed that there was some race developing the new ships and weapons for the Klingons if they weren't doing it themselves because anytime they go to war with the Federation they always seem to give the Federation a hard time, and the Federation are shown as constantly developing dangerous tech by accident, not that they'd use it in a war or anything.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

MikeJF posted:

Speculated on, since the Romulans were the first time anyone had seen cloaks in TOS and then later in the series it was established there was a tech trade between them and then later on than that Klingons had cloaks.

It's one of those bits of speculation that doesn't really have much support in the show, but was repeated in so many licensed sources that people assumed it was canonical. The only real evidence on the show is that in "The Enterprise Incident", the Romulans are flying Klingon-designed ships - but that doesn't mean there was a technology trade; it seems just as reasonable to me to assume Klingon equipment is the equivalent of Soviet gear; cheap, reliable, and sold to everyone who opposes their enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I always assumed that there was some race developing the new ships and weapons for the Klingons if they weren't doing it themselves because anytime they go to war with the Federation they always seem to give the Federation a hard time, and the Federation are shown as constantly developing dangerous tech by accident, not that they'd use it in a war or anything.

Eh, the basic Klingon ship designs seem to stay in service for a very very long time and not chance much between iterations. And let's be honest, the Federation would be easy as hell to steal technological advancements from if you lived next door.