Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I was actually pretty surprised Mutoh retained. I mean I'm just getting into NOAH now so I'm not that familiar with their booking but having Kaito lose after Mutoh's "lmao he'll be easy to beat" comments just makes their up and coming superstar look like a chump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

the only thing I can think is that they want to have Mutoh and Jun as champs at the supershow, which feels like a mistake but a mistake I could see someone making.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lamuella posted:

the only thing I can think is that they want to have Mutoh and Jun as champs at the supershow, which feels like a mistake but a mistake I could see someone making.

This seems like something a company that's desperate to sell tickets would do, but, like. They don't have to be. They have the big money backing now! They don't have to do this!

So weird.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is there any indication that putting the belt on Mutoh has increased interest in NOAH?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I read in the Observer that NOAh was looking at Mutoh to increase overseas viewers but that seems...misguided at this point in his career. And even if you wanted him to have a longer run having him beat Kaito is just a head scratcher too

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Extended him for two years so he can be champ for half of it

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

Is there any indication that putting the belt on Mutoh has increased interest in NOAH?

Someone said there were more people watching on Abema last night than for Go vs. Sugiura.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pylons posted:

Someone said there were more people watching on Abema last night than for Go vs. Sugiura.

And to be fair, I was a first time NOAH watcher last night but it was because I thought Kiyomiya was gonna win the belt. :lol:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
How many new people got into NOAH because they heard that Go was having this awesome reign, only for them to put the belt on dinosaur-rear end Mutoh and immediately kill that person's interest?

*raises hand*

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

forkboy84 posted:

The faction stuff is really quite straightforward. There's one big heel faction, at present RED (stands for Real Extreme Diffusion), it's been around since 2018, Eita is the top guy. It's a continuation of ANTIAS (which was only around for about 6 months), which in turn was a continuation of VerserK.

We've got a bunch of change happening coming out of the generation battles of 2020 but the other main groups so far are Masquerade, led by Shun Skywalker, HIGH-END which is seemingly lead by YAMATO and Team Boku which is basically a mess and will probably be wrapped up before too long when Bokutimo Dragon loses his mask to Diamante. We know this because Naruki Doi has said he's done with them.

Y'all gonna stand for this Natural Vibes erasure? Kzy and his dancing weed men group is the only Dragon Gate unit powerful enough to be reanimated after disbanding, albeit trading YASSHI for gamer boy U-T is a downgrade in the vibes department. Ditching Punch was great tho.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Benne posted:

How many new people got into NOAH because they heard that Go was having this awesome reign, only for them to put the belt on dinosaur-rear end Mutoh and immediately kill that person's interest?

*raises hand*

Fortunately I can't lose interest in a company that has Nakajima & Kenoh & Sugiura & Kiyomiya & Inamura & Harada & Hajime & Kotoge & Yoshioka & Suzuki & Ogawa. Still seems like a big step back & way to lose that momentum from 2020.

Tonfa posted:

Y'all gonna stand for this Natural Vibes erasure? Kzy and his dancing weed men group is the only Dragon Gate unit that was reanimated after disbanding, albeit trading YASSHI for gamer boy U-T is a downgrade in the vibes department. Ditching Punch was great tho.

Oh god, I am so mad at myself for forgetting Natural Vibes. It's got Kzy, it's got U-T, it's got Genki, it's got Susumu, it's got the dancing, Natural Vibes is my favourite stable.

I do wonder what YASSHI did to get sent back to the purgatory of Secret Base.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

forkboy84 posted:

I do wonder what YASSHI did to get sent back to the purgatory of Secret Base.

He left at the start of the pandemic so it was probably a Dove Pro or DG, choose one type of deal while COVID rages and he has a much bigger role in Dove Pro.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

*raises hand*

Seems like you should have done some research into this NOAH promotion if you didn't want to watch a company with a history of old broken down guys hanging around on top.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Benne posted:

*raises hand*

To be fair, the undercard is usually very good. Kongo are a great faction, especially Nakajima, and Marafuji is always fun to watch.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Hellblazer187 posted:

Coupled to that Abema stuff; their Budokan attendance was 4,196 which was over 1,000 more than the New Japan Anniversary show and 800 more than Stardom's Budokan show; the show today was their highest Fukuoka attendance in at least six years: and that's taking you back to when promotions were claiming 2,000 in Hakata Star Lanes only to conveniently drop to 1,000 at most (and in NOAHs case half that usually) when they started announcing real attendances so its probably longer. So yes; there is evidence that shows that Mutoh's presence on top is leading to increased business for them.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Seems like you should have done some research into this NOAH promotion if you didn't want to watch a company with a history of old broken down guys hanging around on top.

Reverting back to the boat made them go back to the classic booking that got over it's young champions like Rikioh and Marafuji's first run okay!

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Tonfa posted:

He left at the start of the pandemic so it was probably a Dove Pro or DG, choose one type of deal while COVID rages and he has a much bigger role in Dove Pro.

Basically DG started to operate their own mini bubble and since he did his own thing and not a lot of DG, he finished up. Mochizuki scaling back DG and doing NOAH (he does this all the time) a lot last year was part of that too.

lol thanks for the OTVG plug, we are finally wrapping up our DGUSA series tomorrow and we have some cool ideas for our next project.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Having watched the Yokohama Budokan show from last weekend, I was going to make a mad post about the fact that Kenoh desperately needs an opponent under 40 for a change and they give him Fujita, but then Fujita and Kenoh squared off, each with one foot on the chest of Kashin. Then Haoh and NOSAWA came in for a pull apart and they also ended up with a foot on Kendo Kashin.

So that part was good. Two match show though really, 6 Man tag in the co main was fun, so was Sugiuragun vs The Aggression

(Actually the Stinger vs Momo No Seishun and National title matches were both decent fun but nothing must see)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Benne posted:

*raises hand*

Honestly if you'd just told me it was gonna end with Muto being champ it would have been fine/whatever in my opinion

Getting actually invested in everything and instantly loving Nakajima and having it be Muto instead hurt more :negative: let my handsome kicking boy be king

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Is muto in 30 minute singles matches a form of elder abuse?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1371346286453067777

Also seems not good!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

From my experience of watching the show with my wife, if Noah are interested in increasing their female viewership, putting the title on Kiyomiya would have been a very good first step.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

forkboy84 posted:

The faction stuff is really quite straightforward. There's one big heel faction, at present RED (stands for Real Extreme Diffusion), it's been around since 2018, Eita is the top guy. It's a continuation of ANTIAS (which was only around for about 6 months), which in turn was a continuation of VerserK.

We've got a bunch of change happening coming out of the generation battles of 2020 but the other main groups so far are Masquerade, led by Shun Skywalker, HIGH-END which is seemingly lead by YAMATO and Team Boku which is basically a mess and will probably be wrapped up before too long when Bokutimo Dragon loses his mask to Diamante. We know this because Naruki Doi has said he's done with them.

Kinda got lost here ngl, but sure I'll watch a show or two. Do they run a lot of interference and ref bumps? Because that's my least favorite thing about NJPW and I'm watching other puro promotions to get away from those.

Anyway. I'm worried Kenoh might lose to Fujita, but unlike Mutoh he seems to be more than competent in the ring.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Lily Catts posted:

Kinda got lost here ngl, but sure I'll watch a show or two. Do they run a lot of interference and ref bumps? Because that's my least favorite thing about NJPW and I'm watching other puro promotions to get away from those.

The Dragon Gate heel unit (currently RED) tradition is carrying around a box and powder that they'll use to take cheap shots. Often just a normal mid match spot but sometimes leads to the finish. They ain't gonna bump the ref though.

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Basically DG started to operate their own mini bubble and since he did his own thing and not a lot of DG, he finished up. Mochizuki scaling back DG and doing NOAH (he does this all the time) a lot last year was part of that too.

Yeah, that makes sense. I've enjoyed OTVG as well though I have OPINIONS about your blatant disrespect of Gamma, epitome of fun midcard character guy

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Go Shiozaki is going to have shoulder surgery per Meltzer.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Meltz stealing scoops from Hisame, shameful

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Honestly after the year he's had Shiozaki must be held together by old screws and elastic bands. He needs a few months off just to get rebuilt.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Maybe it's just me but I feel like maybe it would've been better to just have Go get kayfabe injured and have to vacate.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pylons posted:

Maybe it's just me but I feel like maybe it would've been better to just have Go get kayfabe injured and have to vacate.

I generally feel like it's always better to have a title change hands in the ring. And if the story of that match is "after that crazy year, Go just didn't have one more in him and got caught by a wily veteran with one last trick up his sleeve" that's kind of OK. I just don't understand what the story is with Mutoh beating Kitomiya.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pylons posted:

Nah, vacating the title should be avoided when possible. The bigger problem is it being Mutoh who did it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

New DDT young lion is a tiny baby https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1371545104058441728

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hopefully his debut goes better than the NJPW one!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Pylons posted:

Hopefully his debut goes better than the NJPW one!

couldn't go much worse

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Finding out that Okuda and the rest of his train shoot had no idea that it was Gackt in the mask at Final Gate until they got back backstage, so Okuda wrestled a title match while legitimately confused about who the gently caress is in his corner. DG whips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYlLloh54og

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Gackt is a weird loving man.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Glad to find out Okuda was just as confused as I was watching that match about his weird cornerman.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
For the record I thought it was gackt and may or may not have mentioned it on the final gate OTVG review but I can’t remember what I did like forty shows ago lol

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1371708087120265216

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

I'm not standing outside but I did exactly this lying in bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Watching the first AJPW since the big double turn, Jake Lee in his new role is already such a breath of fresh air. Also his gear reminds me of the leather trousers Test wore.

All Japan have quietly been having an enjoyable 2021, which after the back half of 2020 is much needed.

That first time Ashino and Kodama circle around each other, such great tension.

I'm just going to quote the Voices of Wrestling review of this show: "The story telling in the semi-main and main event were great and gave me the most excitement I’ve had for All Japan in a long time. All of the remaining Total Eclipse tag matches on this tour should also be great. If you tuned out of All Japan after a disappointing and frustrating second half of 2020, now is the time to at least give the Total Eclipse stable and angle a chance."

The show from 8/3 was a bit smaller and didn't hit the highs of the previous night but the VOD is also under 2 hours long & just zips by with a nice little Takao Omori vs Yuma Aoyagi match, an All Asia Tag match with Purple Haze defending vs the NEXTREAM youngsters Atsuki Aoyagi & HAYATO, & a fun throwaway main event with Kento, Suwama & Yoshitatsu vs 3 of the younger lads, Akira, Tamura & Honda. And the other 2 matches were totally solid too. It's real nice being able to be positive about All Japan again.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 16, 2021