Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

guidoanselmi posted:

I love how Bidenco wants to raise taxes instead of maybe stopping some military operations, closing a few military bases, decommissioning a few ships, and indefinitely postponing some future weapons orders.

I mean, he needs to do both

Our society needs to have a healthier relationship with the taxes conversation and it's another one of those things that we can't put off indefinitely just because it's politically difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1371563159593574405

i am so jealous that the bruenigs managed to become professional c-spam posters

oh hey a place to post this graph again

Wouldn't you know it, after the disparity was removed, cops just kept catching black people with just enough crack to still send them away for 10 years

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

loquacius posted:

popularizing biden as a genocider in the twitter discourse would be really funny

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

remember when the city of memphis was memoryholed from twitter

Actually this one I have forgotten, what happened?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

KomradeX posted:

Actually this one I have forgotten, what happened?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bizarre-twitter-bug-leads-to-lockouts-of-accounts-mentioning-memphis/

wonder if it has anything to do with

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/al-gore-blasts-memphis-area-oil-pipeline-as-reckless-racist-and-a-rip-off/ar-BB1eBRgu

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tricky D posted:

primary education for minorities is so terrible that they can't compete with white people for uni admission and so free college is a gov handout to white people. that's their argument and it is presented with absolute certainty that reforming k-12 funding isn't already a plank in their opponent's policy positions

to be fair, k-12 is a disaster. my school's new superintendent came in with a mandate to fix the achievement gap in a majority minority school that has about 40% white enrollment, and its just everyone yelling at each other with no real idea of what to do that won't get them instantly sued (like his plan last fall to open in person learning to bipoc only)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

It was loving infuriating. Our copyright system outs so hosed up, but no one outside of YouTubers talk about it, and even than not as much anymore cause Im pretty sure YouTube was spiking videos that did.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1371563273737400323?s=20

lol dang

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

did she delete her bf tweet

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Kind of, things have been broken for so long that people either have forgotten or just never knew things used to work. That the government was able to do things beyond being an organization of domestic and foreign Death Squads

for no reason at all, im reminded of a study done on a group of chimps

IIRC, a group of chimps were placed in a room with a ladder and a banana at the end of it. If any of the chimps tried to climb the ladder to get the banana, all of them were punished with like sprinklers or electric shocks or something. Quite soon, the chimps learned to not only not go for the banana, but they would also viciously beat any chimp that tried to climb that ladder. One by one, however, the chimps were replaced with new chimps. When the scientists started replacing the chimps, they stopped punishing the chimps if they went for the banana. However, this did not stop the chimps from beating each other if they tried to climb the ladder. Eventually, all the chimps in the room had never been punished by the scientists for going for the banana, but they still beat the poo poo out of each other whenever one would try to climb the ladder

this is all a very vague recollection so im probably missing some important details, but it is a study that I think about from time to time

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1371326063104643074?s=20

she was too good for that debate stage

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

IIRC, a group of chimps were placed in a room with a ladder and a banana at the end of it. If any of the chimps tried to climb the ladder to get the banana, all of them were punished with like sprinklers or electric shocks or something. Quite soon, the chimps learned to not only not go for the banana, but they would also viciously beat any chimp that tried to climb that ladder. One by one, however, the chimps were replaced with new chimps. When the scientists started replacing the chimps, they stopped punishing the chimps if they went for the banana. However, this did not stop the chimps from beating each other if they tried to climb the ladder. Eventually, all the chimps in the room had never been punished by the scientists for going for the banana, but they still beat the poo poo out of each other whenever one would try to climb the ladder

this is all a very vague recollection so im probably missing some important details, but it is a study that I think about from time to time

lol scientists are incredibly hosed up

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

scientists have an insatiable hatred for chimps imo

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Yeah that all tracks

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

mastershakeman posted:

to be fair, k-12 is a disaster. my school's new superintendent came in with a mandate to fix the achievement gap in a majority minority school that has about 40% white enrollment, and its just everyone yelling at each other with no real idea of what to do that won't get them instantly sued (like his plan last fall to open in person learning to bipoc only)

that's because there is no solution that can be implemented at the board level. it requires a state level policy shift away from property tax funding. i do appreciate that people on the ground are scrambling to do whatever they can to improve outcomes, but they're up against a system that is purposefully designed for them to fail.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

this study sounds like a great analogy for the three weeks I spent at my last "permanent" job

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tricky D posted:

that's because there is no solution that can be implemented at the board level. it requires a state level policy shift away from property tax funding. i do appreciate that people on the ground are scrambling to do whatever they can to improve outcomes, but they're up against a system that is purposefully designed for them to fail.

thats not the issue when theyre all going to the same school funded by high property taxes and high per pupil spending/teacher salaries/recruitment

well, the solution this year is to get rid of the busing program for the k-5 grades because being against segregation is white privilege/racist/etc in wanting black kids to have longer school commutes

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the story is kind of stretching the truth but scientists have done something like that, along with worse. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/games-primates-play/201203/what-monkeys-can-teach-us-about-human-behavior-facts-fiction

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Atrocious Joe posted:

Chicago created a Green Zone around downtown because the first day of mass protests resulted in the upscale shopping district getting trashed.

After the downtown was isolated, unrest moved to most Black neighborhoods, but the cops made sure it was non-political. Protests were immediately broken up by riot cops throughout the city, but looting of small business was allowed.

it happened again around the time of kenosha, iirc. huge effort was made by the city to block off access to downtown/wealthy area by raising bridges and putting garbage trucks at offramps. same things happened in the wealthy burbs (garbage trucks blocking offramps) to protect their shopping malls

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

thats not the issue when theyre all going to the same school funded by high property taxes and high per pupil spending/teacher salaries/recruitment

well, the solution this year is to get rid of the busing program for the k-5 grades because being against segregation is white privilege/racist/etc in wanting black kids to have longer school commutes

bussing should be sending some kids in all white districts into all black schools

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

the story is kind of stretching the truth but scientists have done something like that, along with worse. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/games-primates-play/201203/what-monkeys-can-teach-us-about-human-behavior-facts-fiction

good find. I have no idea where I first heard that story so its interesting to see it where it originated from

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

bussing should be sending some kids in all white districts into all black schools

thats what "magnet programs" were supposed to do

afaict all it did was make all the bussed in kids be in the same set of classes

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I think about this a lot

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

mastershakeman posted:

who is 'they'? i can barely parse what you are trying to say here

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i had a first sergeant who would tell us about this study to explain why the military worked the way it did

except he had a thick cajun accent and he would phrase it like "and you know what they did? they beat that monkey's rear end, yes they did" and it was the funniest thing

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

good find. I have no idea where I first heard that story so its interesting to see it where it originated from

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

I can't speak for magnet programs elsewhere but our magnet schools in Oklahoma are pretty much the only reason the feds haven't busted in here and gutted our entire education system at this point. Most individual schools in a district, and most individual districts barely meet the minimum standards (or fail to meet them entirely) while the schools used in the bussing programs get some of the best funding and are rated better than most schools in the state. (Booker T Washington has been rated as one of the top 100 high schools nationwide which isn't that impressive until you remember it's in Oklahoma)

IMO: If a state has a lot of money invested in education to begin with, magnet programs aren't likely to fix the problem, because magnet programs can only really fix resource allocation, not solve the underlying social issues contributing to the disparity. If the reason communities of color are struggling is because their schools don't have books or toilet seats, yeah, magnets will fix that; but magnet schools can't help kids' parents get by on fewer hours or get their teachers to treat them more fairly which is why magnet schools and charter programs routinely fail in places like Michigan and New York

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 23:14 on Mar 15, 2021

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i was one of these chimps. we knew. it was just a blast beating the poo poo out of the newbies trying to climb the no-no ladder.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mad.radhu posted:

except he had a thick cajun accent and he would phrase it like "and you know what they did? they beat that monkey's rear end, yes they did" and it was the funniest thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oScmodG_riM

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

KomradeX posted:

Yeah that all tracks

it's actually disinformation, being spread right here. *shudders*

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

it's actually disinformation, being spread right here. *shudders*

its too late now

you cant stop me

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Dolphin posted:

source your quotes

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ive been thinking about this quote all day. its such a perfect distillation of liberal thought

It really is isn't' it! I thought it was a troll, but the poster's history yeahh no.

also amazed no one even bats in eye at it in the QCS thread. Just astonishing.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

loquacius posted:

I got a better one, this post happened in 2017 and I think about it at least once a month

In summary his reaction to people telling him his political opinions would lead to shuffling money around publishers instead of building libraries is that actually it is nearly impossible to build a library

When the entire system has been infested with people whose political career relies on stopping anything that doesnt funnel money into some corporation's pocket then yeah, accomplishing basic things like building a library becomes a bureaucratic nightmare. Thats not really an endorsement of the neoliberal system though. The opposite really.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

My wife used to work in education doing program evaluation. She said the core problem was that the average tenure of a principal was less than 3 years, but most programs needed at least 3 years to show results. Worse, teachers would become so inured to new programs every few years that they just stopped trying to learn or implement anything new because they knew it wouldn't last, so they just did their own disjointed thing anyways.

Basically a huge part of why modern schools are so hosed is that metrics driven MBAs infiltrated and ruined it, just like they ruin everything they have ever touched. Getting rid of every MBA in the country would go a long ways towards making a better future a possibility.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the cuomo defenders are the blueQiest people on earth

https://twitter.com/Roses4noses/status/1371574121272766471

Trump owns the voting base

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm amused at someone who I saw complaining about Majorian, who is probably the most inoffensive poster imaginable.

Is Majorian banned from posting in CSPAM or something?

Blockade posted:

Top marginal corporate tax rate was 38.6% (iirc) in 2016. Trump lowered it to 21%, Biden is proposing putting up to 28%, but may not actually.

There's a lesson in this, if your brain works.

Wow. And people are hyping this up.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nah but every time he posts here a bunch of people complain to admins about his "bias"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

punk rebel ecks posted:

D&D had a meltdown over him because he has a "CSPAM and dems bad bias" when really that just means he doesn't actively lie and gaslight people to support an elderly rapist/segregationist like Herstory and others want.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

loquacius posted:

I got a better one, this post happened in 2017 and I think about it at least once a month

In summary his reaction to people telling him his political opinions would lead to shuffling money around publishers instead of building libraries is that actually it is nearly impossible to build a library

lmao loving liberals man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I went to a majority minority downtown magnet school, yet the only classes I took that was majority minority were a few electives like art. Everything else was AP, and the AP classes were either white or 'child of university professor' minority. It was a complete failure of integration