Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think the Zeon mobile suits being unstoppable works better in the manga because it comes after the Gundam has been shown chewing through the best that Zeon has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Ethiser posted:

I think the Zeon mobile suits being unstoppable works better in the manga because it comes after the Gundam has been shown chewing through the best that Zeon has to offer.

And I've read the manga, and he's not kidding about chewing. The Gundam is loving terrifying in The Origin. Hell, GMs are terrifying in The Origin.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I actually really like the fight on the moon in Origin. It's a one sided slaughter and it's not treated as anything else. A loong way back I said that Gundam fights tend to fall into two categories: brief flashes of intense violence or drawn out fights that get bogged down in spectacle, and I'm much more partial to the former. It might not make for the flashiest action scenes but from a narrative level it works incredibly well to emphasize the threat mobile suits pose and just how deadly combat is between aces and raw recruits.

The battle of Loum from episode 1 is a high octane introduction of the Zaku but the clash at Loum in episode 5 and 6 is incredibly sobering because it follows up on that initial burst of violence and then falls into a prolonged, grinding massacre where your elation from the big fight fades away and you're left numb watching hundreds of thousands of helpless people just get butchered while Dozle tries to rationalize his role in mass murder.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

Also the scene where that guy grabs Char by the shoulder, and Char glares at him so hard that he flies off of Char's shoulder and hits the ground hard enough to crack it.

Yeah, in the manga that scene's a bit different. The guy who grabs his shoulder claims he's a precog who can see people's futures with a touch...

Which means he sees that he's palling around with a serial killer who doesn't hesitate to dispatch anyone who finds out his secrets.

Makes his freakout a little more understandable.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want more char glorification. It makes the end of his character being "I wanted my underaged girlfriend to also be my mom" even funnier

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Char being an actual dude who looked just like Casval will never stop being a hilarious twist

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The United States posted:

Char being an actual dude who looked just like Casval will never stop being a hilarious twist

Casval you rat! You weren't swapping our clothes to evade your pursuers! You were stealing my identity so you could give me the ol' spicy transport shuttle! How could you give your own doppelganger the spicy transport shuttle?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The United States posted:

Were they really that identical? I thought that was Char's whole excuse for his Spock helmet; "to hide my gruesome scars" (and also that my eyes are the wrong color and so is my entire upper face)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

Were they really that identical? I thought that was Char's whole excuse for his Spock helmet; "to hide my gruesome scars" (and also that my eyes are the wrong color and so is my entire upper face)

They had different eye colors but at least as drawn were remarkably similar looking. Different voices in the animated version I think though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has any more news come out regarding Hathaway's Flash?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

They had different eye colors but at least as drawn were remarkably similar looking. Different voices in the animated version I think though.

The Japanese cast turned this into a real good joke - while Casval was voiced by Ikeda as normal, Original Char was voiced by Toshihiko Seki, who has long since voiced Char-alikes(he's Rau from SEED, as an example) and is occasionally pulled in to voice Char himself when Ikeda is unavailable(they did this for one of the Build Fighters Battlogue episodes).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
As someone who got into Gundam with the Origin OVAs and knowing nothing besides Char Azanable being a thing through cultural osmosis it was really neat trying to guess who would be relevant past then. My biggest fuckup was assuming Sayla was an well-done OVA-exclusive character right up until the ending summary of what happens to everyone.

That said, it made Mirei’s cameo appearance kinda hilarious as a newcomer, cause everyone else has designs that make relatively smooth transitions to modern anime and then it couldn’t be any more obvious even knowing Jack poo poo about gundam that she’s a relevant character from the main stuff cause her design is so oldschool compared to everyone else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best thing about Mirai is the time she saw her arranged fiancé on a shuttle and waved to him but the animation made it look like she was flipping him off.

I find the ending of The Origin OVAs really weak because it felt like yet another half assed attempt by Bandai and Sunrise to make 0079 relevant to international audiences again rather than just remaking the drat show already.

"You've watched the epic backstory! Now here's a list of people who become relevant in a show that came out 40 years ago and was animated on construction paper!"

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 17, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

The best thing about Mirai is the time she saw her arranged fiancé on a shuttle and waved to him but the animation made it look like she was flipping him off.

I find the ending of The Origin OVAs really weak because it felt like yet another half assed attempt by Bandai and Sunrise to make 0079 relevant to international audiences again rather than just remaking the drat show already.

"You've watched the epic backstory! Now here's a list of people who become relevant in a show that came out 40 years ago and was animated on construction paper!"

I mean I can't say I wouldn't watch the hell out of The Origin Full Version but at the same time I'd rather they do it full-assed rather than make it shinier but less well crafted.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the origin six should have adopted episode 1&2 of first gundam.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Notorious ZSB posted:

If you think about the Origin as a story told by Char, then I think the bias the story shows makes a bit more sense. Still a very pretty thing, but Char having not a single person who can really challenge him kinda dulls a lot of the conflicts.

I get the manga prb doesn't fit with that, but the OVA's scope and story I think do.

Yeah I imagine fightwise, Char probably just had it easy for a while before Amuro decided to end that man's whole career.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

the origin six should have adopted episode 1&2 of first gundam.

I'd hope Sunrise has enough respect for the franchise to not desecrate it with their horrible CGI

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought the Origin CGI was alright. Some of the 2D 3D composite shots weren't great but overall it was fine and there's a lot worse out there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't care I loving hate CGI, it looks gross and ruins nearly everything I love about Mecha anime

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I thought the 3d in origin was perfectly adequate. I would've preferred a 2d approach than what they ended up doing, but it wasn't bad.

I think the worst thing about the 3d is having it juxtaposed against the fairly expressive 2d animation they used, which I thought was very good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does the Unicorn transformation bother you as well?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I thought the 3d in origin was perfectly adequate. I would've preferred a 2d approach than what they ended up doing, but it wasn't bad.

I think the worst thing about the 3d is having it juxtaposed against the fairly expressive 2d animation they used, which I thought was very good

I hate how weightless everything feels, I hate the lack of battle damage, I hate how the frame rate doesn't match the background, and I hate that we've just come to accept a low quality product instead of something beautiful and creative. You can give Trad animation a lot of poo poo but it let the artists express themselves and show their works in ways that CGI never will.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does the Unicorn transformation bother you as well?
It's gross

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I think 2d and 3d animation can both be done well but having both in the same shot always looks awful.

Gaius Marius posted:

I hate how weightless everything feels, I hate the lack of battle damage, I hate how the frame rate doesn't match the background, and I hate that we've just come to accept a low quality product instead of something beautiful and creative. You can give Trad animation a lot of poo poo but it let the artists express themselves and show their works in ways that CGI never will.

I mean, there are things you can do in CG that would be incredibly difficult with trad animation. The problem with a lot (though not all) cg anime is that the cg is used as a cost-cutting method rather than a creative choice, and of course it's gonna look bad then.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Origin looks great and has an excellent feel for its stuff that conveys a lot about how mobile suits change the scale and feel of combat.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

I think 2d and 3d animation can both be done well but having both in the same shot always looks awful.

I've seen a few shots that were fine, but that's kind of a high water mark for these things.

IBO's mix of usually-CG ships and hand drawn mechs was one of the less offensive mixes, I thought, especially because the ships got hand drawn for impact scenes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Seeing the CG ships in IBO usually took me out, but it wasn't that bad. When they try and have a ten ton humanoid flipping around like a gymanast that's when my brain starts fully rejecting the premise on screen

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Seeing the CG ships in IBO usually took me out, but it wasn't that bad. When they try and have a ten ton humanoid flipping around like a gymanast that's when my brain starts fully rejecting the premise on screen
:hmmyes: That is definitely something that is only a problem with 3D/CG animation in particular, and not something that has ever happened in hand-drawn 2D animation.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Correct, as dumb as heavy arms triple turn is the mech clearly reacted with weight.

Compare to
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/18107
Where it looks like they glide around on top of the scenery

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Correct, as dumb as heavy arms triple turn is the mech clearly reacted with weight.

Compare to
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/18107
Where it looks like they glide around on top of the scenery

I don't really understand what you're trying to prove in this shot of some robots floating in a literally weightless environment?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

I don't really understand what you're trying to prove in this shot of some robots floating in a literally weightless environment?

I'm just impressed that Gaius got a cel animation scene literally demonstration the exact complaint given about CG and responded to it with "No, but it's good there, because it's not CG."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Generally CG caps out at "it's fine" for me. Like, the CG scenes in The Origin are made for me by the musical score, not the art. I can't really think of any CG animation where I was like, "Wow this slaps."

On the other hand, I could watch CCA's fight between Nu Gundam and Sazabi over and over again. There's little touches in there that just make me appreciate what they did even on my nth viewing. (The beam sabers changing intensity when they aren't actively swinging at each other to conserve power is something I've only seen done in CCA.)

I also think trad looks crisper in most side-by-side comparisons. I don't like that my passively-watched cartoon looks like a video game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ever since I made the joke yesterday somewhere else, I haven't been able to get the idea of an Adam Curtis documentary on the history of the Universal Century. Or any other Gundam timeline.

"This is a story about people who thought they could shape future."

"Zeon Zum Deikum had an idea: that by living in space, people would adapt and change into a new type of humanity. And that this would lead to a world without conflict. However, something strange happened..."

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
Yo, what are people’s opinions of Build Divers? Last proper Gundam I watched was IBO, loved season one but kind of fizzled out on the second one. I Ioved Build Fighters, but Build Divers looks very different- a bit too SAO at first glance - and although I’ve heard very good things about ReRise I don’t hear much about the original Build Divers. Is ReRise worth muddling through the first series? I absolutely love all the 00 Gundam variations on the wiki, for what it’s worth.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Skip build divers

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Shazaminator posted:

Yo, what are people’s opinions of Build Divers? Last proper Gundam I watched was IBO, loved season one but kind of fizzled out on the second one. I Ioved Build Fighters, but Build Divers looks very different- a bit too SAO at first glance - and although I’ve heard very good things about ReRise I don’t hear much about the original Build Divers. Is ReRise worth muddling through the first series? I absolutely love all the 00 Gundam variations on the wiki, for what it’s worth.

Build Divers has some fun characters and some good stand-alone episodes but the main plot is is absolutely awful. ReRise is cool though and I don't think you like, need to watch Divers for context, though you will ofc. miss some of the references.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Droyer posted:

Build Divers has some fun characters and some good stand-alone episodes but the main plot is is absolutely awful. ReRise is cool though and I don't think you like, need to watch Divers for context, though you will ofc. miss some of the references.

I'll second this, I fell off Build Divers about halfway through, it was just so bad and bland, but ReRise is absolutely great.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I think Re:Rise did a decent job of recapping what was needed from Build Divers (though fairly late in the series), but there'll just be characters making cameos that you won't know. Probably a ~10 recap of Build Divers (and watching episode 15 of Build Divers for funsies) first would get you everything.

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Shazaminator posted:

Is ReRise worth muddling through the first series?

No. All you need to know from Divers going into ReRise is that there is a Gundam VRMMO where people scan in their Gunpla to fight against other players and that recently there was a crisis where the game accidentally spawned an AI that was sucking up memory and crashing the game, so there was a big fight about whether to delete her or not before the entire issue was solved by downloading her off the servers into a gunpla.

There, saved you 12 hours of cripplingly boring mediocrity. Now you're free to watch ReRise, a much better show.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Droyer posted:

There's a few decent stand-alone episodes buried in there, but nothing essential. I'll second watching episode 15 because it's maybe the best one, although I kinda like 7 and 16 as well (these being the only times the team does a mission as a team without the plot intruding, coincidence?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Literally just go read the Wikipedia article, yeah.