Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BonHair posted:

Meanwhile, in the Discovery timeline: " I need to be at my station way across the ship in 30 seconds. Oh well, guess I'll just kill myself"

I've had the same thought many times when my boss tells me to do something at work, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I've had the same thought many times when my boss tells me to do something at work, tbh.

Same, but the small death.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kurzon posted:

I guess the episode Our Man Bashir means that souls are a thing in Star Trek? Because to store the mind of a person, wouldn't you only need to store a facsimile of his brain? This implies there is more to the brain than flesh.

Sounds about right, Vulcans keep their dead souls in canopic jars and all that

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kurzon posted:

I guess the episode Our Man Bashir means that souls are a thing in Star Trek? Because to store the mind of a person, wouldn't you only need to store a facsimile of his brain? This implies there is more to the brain than flesh.

souls were already established as real by Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

At one point in a Trek book I read a long time ago, one of the ghost-written Shatner books I think because Kirk is alive, Kirk and Spock are arrested and put in a Vulcan holding cell which is a holoroom. To escape Kirk has Spock throw him so hard through the edge of the hologram that the computer doesn't have enough time to activate safeties or "expand" the room to compensate. After recovering from slamming into a solid wall fast enough that he should probably be dead he "escapes" the room projection and then inches along the wall to the entrance of the room to open the door.

No one can ever make sense of the holodeck.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Kurzon posted:

theres also an ep where bashir basically refuses to keep beriel alive any longer because replacing the remainder of his brain would be removing his soul

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

The latter. They never explain how it works in the show that I can recall.

There's a story that once, Michael Okada was asked how the "Heisenbeg compenarors" in the transporters worked, and he answered "They work just fine, thanks."

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The holodeck is one of the pieces of Trek tech that would make more sense if they just said that it was literally magic.

"The holodeck is powered by crystals the Federation gets from Megas-tu. All holo-engineers are trained in basic incantations."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Epicurius posted:

There's a story that once, Michael Okada was asked how the "Heisenbeg compenarors" in the transporters worked, and he answered "They work just fine, thanks."

If I were to somehow ever launch a scifi universe, this is basically the explanation I will use for every bit of supertechnology. That and "Edison didn't need to know what an electron flow was to invent the light bulb."

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You don’t need to see Bashir and O’Brien flying over the channel in Spitfires, just slap costumes on them and have them toast their dead wingman at the bar.

No I'm pretty sure I need to see that.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

John F Bennett posted:

Who's the poor schmuck who gets to clean the holodeck after use?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fMM5CksAo0

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Kurzon posted:

young men who actually wear armor when going down into combat.

idk if armor would do anything versus a disrupter or other sci-fi lasers involved

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Vasukhani posted:

idk if armor would do anything versus a disrupter or other sci-fi lasers involved

Bullets can kill the Borg, so logically you can conquer the known universe by having a strong left hook. Consider TOS and you will realise that this is entirely consistent with canon

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Royal Updog posted:

Bullets can kill the Borg, so logically you can conquer the known universe by having a strong left hook. Consider TOS and you will realise that this is entirely consistent with canon

That was technically holographic bullets. So it was still a directed energy weapon.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nitrousoxide posted:

That was technically holographic bullets. So it was still a directed energy weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTL1upt_Vak

I mean if Data is concerned by one arrow I imagine bullets would do some damage.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/realGulDukat/status/975117008525250562?s=20

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Nitrousoxide posted:

The holodeck creates entirely real universes. "End Program" genocides infinite billions of races. This is it's terrible secret. This is why Neelix Must Cook

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

souls were already established as real by Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock
Yeah, there is some kind of distinct non-physical element to people that psychics can detect and they have a bunch of psychics. Suck it, Fanatic Materialistailures.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
They say in the first episode that the holodeck and the replicators work on similar principles. So the holodeck makes fully functional real guns on command.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

John F Bennett posted:

Who's the poor schmuck who gets to clean the holodeck after use?

O'Brien must suffer.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

:stare: The transporter doesn't kill you. It kills everybody else.

everybody :stare:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Does sleep kill you?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

But that episode with the giant bacteria clearly shows that you are still conscious during transport. So when does it kill you?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Royal Updog posted:

:stare: The transporter doesn't kill you. It kills everybody else.

everybody :stare:

Quantum immortality, bitch

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lower Decks has one of the best holodeck episodes because while the holodeck itself was an excuse for spectacle, the whole episode was just about the internal conflicts of the characters instead of focusing on the setting or some temporary costar, because when the holodeck is functioning as intended, the only thing that's real there is what you bring with you.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ve been binging the DS9 Ferengi episodes.

Hella good with probably one exception.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Martytoof posted:

I’ve been binging the DS9 Ferengi episodes.

Hella good with probably one exception.

We know.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

thotsky posted:

Does sleep kill you?

I have a Freddy Krueger so my situation is not typical

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

thotsky posted:

Does sleep kill you?

Q was terrified by sleeping, which I found to be hilarious

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Royal Updog posted:

The holodeck creates entirely real universes. "End Program" genocides infinite billions of races. This is it's terrible secret. This is why Neelix Must Cook

It is kind of disconcerting in DS9 when Miles and Julian leave their Alamo or Battle of Britain holodeck program, having just shot a bunch of holographic Mexicans and Germans and then go visit their good friend Vic the Hologram, who's just as much a Real Boy as anybody.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eimi posted:

But that episode with the giant bacteria clearly shows that you are still conscious during transport. So when does it kill you?
In the context of the actual show, it doesn't ever (barring transporter accidents, of course!)

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m an Enterprise apologist and I rewatched it just last year

I'm "re" - watching right now ( I first saw episodes when I was a child and it was on TV). And I have to say it is much better than I was expecting. I mean, it's been a long time getting from here to there, so it feels a little dated, but honestly the critics aren't gonna change my mind. Maybe it's just because compared to new trek the show seems to have a real strength of the soul. No one is gonna bend or break my opinion here.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Epicurius posted:

It is kind of disconcerting in DS9 when Miles and Julian leave their Alamo or Battle of Britain holodeck program, having just shot a bunch of holographic Mexicans and Germans and then go visit their good friend Vic the Hologram, who's just as much a Real Boy as anybody.

If the Alamo or world war holo-people were programmed like Vic after you said “end program” they’d hang around for a second to let you know they were happy to get shot and act like they were dying in agony and terror because hey that’s hologram life baby, who’s up for a song.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Vasukhani posted:

I'm "re" - watching right now ( I first saw episodes when I was a child and it was on TV). And I have to say it is much better than I was expecting. I mean, it's been a long time getting from here to there, so it feels a little dated, but honestly the critics aren't gonna change my mind. Maybe it's just because compared to new trek the show seems to have a real strength of the soul. No one is gonna bend or break my opinion here.

At this point I would rather rewatch ENT than VOY, which I am planning to do after my current TNG run.

Speaking of, I'm about to finish S5 of TNG and man, what a fantastic season that is. It must be the best one so far, what do you guys think? I haven't watched TNG since the 90's so I've forgotten most of it and don't remember how S6+S7 were.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 18, 2021

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Epicurius posted:

They're definitely not the same thing. Those Luftwaffe pilots are probably not even fully simulated. They might as well be a part of the plane. Santa Anna's army likely has all the intelligence and autonomy as the enemies in Halo or something. They're marionettes, not an intelligent simulation.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

John F Bennett posted:

At this point I would rather rewatch ENT than VOY, which I am planning to do after my current TNG run.

Speaking of, I'm about to finish S5 of TNG and man, what a fantastic season that is. It must be the best one so far, what do you guys think? I haven't watched TNG since the 90's so I've forgotten most of it and don't remember how S6+S7 were.

I’ve said this before, but I was surprised I found S5 to be one of the weaker seasons on my last rewatch. Aside from 6-7 absolutely goddamn stellar episodes, the rest felt like a dull slog to me. I much preferred S4, S6-7.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Sash! posted:

They're definitely not the same thing. Those Luftwaffe pilots are probably not even fully simulated. They might as well be a part of the plane. Santa Anna's army likely has all the intelligence and autonomy as the enemies in Halo or something. They're marionettes, not an intelligent simulation.

Moriarty was the dumb one as he didn't realise that if he played along he could go hang out in Vulcan Love Slave in his down time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

John F Bennett posted:

Probably. But I think 3-6 are pretty much tied. You could maybe tally up how many classic episodes are in each and mathematically calculate which is best, but the way it feels watching it is that they're all at kind of a consistent level. A baseline of competent episodes with occasional great ones.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Sir Lemming posted:

You could maybe tally up how many classic episodes are in each and mathematically calculate which is best

do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I can understand the Battle of Britain being really fun and cool, but the Alamo? Either the holodeck is really sanitizing things or Bashir and O'Brien are stone cold fuckers. Pitched hand to hand fighting in the 1830s is some messy business.