Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dr.3AM is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1371255223071686658?s=20

This whole self-deprecating "my assistants are so afraid of me" schtick maybe actually isn't something that's very funny JJ

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Why does he move differently from every other character? Is that a JJ Abrams thing I'm not aware of?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Linguo, yeah. I don't know why people bring it up as a good episode during the death throes of the show. It was not very good, it was just less offensively awful than the episodes immediately prior to it.

If you didn't get a good laugh about Hootie and the Blowfish being cheaper than blank tape, you have problems.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I blew this up as much as I could on my phone. De La is in there, both Doug E Fresh and Slick Rick, Flava Flav, etc.

the digital animation gives them the chance to do really deep detail on the scenes. but it's just naming things that exist. a space where 25 years ago they would've put jokes is now lovingly filled out with small details that don't mean anything.

I'd rather they put something in there like "stop looking at the background, idiot" than stuff that's supposed to make me hoot quietly because Homer, like me, can recite most of "La Di Da Di"

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

If you didn't get a good laugh about Hootie and the Blowfish being cheaper than blank tape, you have problems.

I honestly don't even remember that joke. That entire episode is so forgettable.

And that isn't even a particularly good joke. It's a lazy pop culture reference.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I like the concept of Trilogy of Error, but it irrationally irritates me how it presents itself as a parody of Run Lola Run (complete with the techno soundtrack as Lisa runs around Springfield) but doesn't actually get it right: Run Lola Run depicts three separate "runs" of the day as if it were a video game level restarting over and over, not the same day from three different perspectives! :argh:

I think it is one of the better episodes of around that time, but that's not saying much.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
On a different topic, here's one of the highest points of the Simpsons:

MARGE: Have you noticed any change in Bart?
HOMER: New glasses?
MARGE: No. He looks like something might be disturbing him.
HOMER: Probably misses his old glasses.
MARGE: I guess we could get more involved in Bart's activities. But then I'd be afraid of smothering him.
HOMER: Yeah. And then we'd get the chair.
MARGE: That's not what I meant.
HOMER: It was, Marge. Admit it.

A similar exchange just a few seasons later would have over-explained the jokes and been filled with wackiness and/or angry for no reason Homer.

"But Homer, Bart doesn't wear glasses!" *pause for laugh track*
"He does now!" *shakes fist*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Empty Sandwich posted:

I blew this up as much as I could on my phone. De La is in there, both Doug E Fresh and Slick Rick, Flava Flav, etc.

the digital animation gives them the chance to do really deep detail on the scenes. but it's just naming things that exist. a space where 25 years ago they would've put jokes is now lovingly filled out with small details that don't mean anything.

I'd rather they put something in there like "stop looking at the background, idiot" than stuff that's supposed to make me hoot quietly because Homer, like me, can recite most of "La Di Da Di"

If the background artists for modern Simpsons got in a finger-snapping alley battle with the background artists for Bojack Horseman, it would end in a crater

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

On a different topic, here's one of the highest points of the Simpsons:

I like how Castellaneta pitched his voice so well that you get the impression that Homer is only half-listening at best.

Data Graham posted:

If the background artists for modern Simpsons got in a finger-snapping alley battle with the background artists for Bojack Horseman, it would end in a crater

It's me, I'm the one who likes the background gags in Bojack. I would buy a print of the David Horseney painting above his bed if I were one of those people with more money than sense.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's me, I'm the one who likes the background gags in Bojack. I would buy a print of the David Horseney painting above his bed if I were one of those people with more money than sense.

Me, too. I love the stupid animal puns, I love the butt pictures all over PB's house, I love the small elements of BG continuity. They're not beautiful BGs, like in Bob's Burgers, but I love them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's me, I'm the one who likes the background gags in Bojack.

:same:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I absolutely did not intend to suggest otherwise.

The crater would be where the Simpsons artists had been, to clarify. And the Bojack ones would be Keep On Truckin' into the distance

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The background jokes are the best part of sad horse guy show

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Data Graham posted:

the Bojack backgrounds are the ideal combination of the old insane hilarious Simpsons joke that most people wouldn't even see and the new digital Simpsons attention to detail without jokes

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's me, I'm the one who likes the background gags in Bojack.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Data Graham posted:

I absolutely did not intend to suggest otherwise.

The crater would be where the Simpsons artists had been, to clarify. And the Bojack ones would be Keep On Truckin' into the distance

Ah, my bad, misread! :D

Empty Sandwich posted:

old insane hilarious Simpsons joke that most people wouldn't even see

I think my favourite is the billboard sign reading:

TONIGHT: BALLET
TOMORROW: CLOSED TO FIX GAS LEAK

You don't see these jokes for very long, but I've heard that it would take quite a while for the writers to come up with the best ones. I think most of the heavy lifting came from the "gag guys" like Conan, who would just keep coming up with stupid random poo poo even well into the excruciatingly long hours they worked.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'll take the L for being ambiguous. I'd started with an image of the two groups meeting in an office bathroom and the Bojack ones just up and peeing on the Simpsons ones in contempt, but workshopped it to death

This is why I'm not even Simpsons writer tier

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
reckon this is the correct thread for this news

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1372194031346667526?s=20

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

reckon this is the correct thread for this news

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1372194031346667526?s=20
countdown to when they show hank getting cancelled by a 10 year out of date stereotype of THOSE loving SJWS

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think my favourite is the billboard sign reading:

TONIGHT: BALLET
TOMORROW: CLOSED TO FIX GAS LEAK

You don't see these jokes for very long, but I've heard that it would take quite a while for the writers to come up with the best ones. I think most of the heavy lifting came from the "gag guys" like Conan, who would just keep coming up with stupid random poo poo even well into the excruciatingly long hours they worked.

That's a good one. My favorite is "Springfield Savings. Safe From 1890-1986, 1988 -"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
My favorite is in season 2 - they show a public library, but the L fell off.

Making it a pub ic library.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

XXX
Sperms of Endearment
I’ll Do Anyone

is a great background gag.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The 00s edgy period was pretty cringe all round.

There's an episode in season 13 I think where Bart and Milhouse break into the Flanders' house. Bart finds a note or something and says "that's SO gay!" and then says "these losers are out of food!" It just seemed really out of character to me because Bart is usually mischievous but not just outright mean. Definitely seemed like they were trying to be "cool" for the time by trying to redefine Bart's bad boy image for the 2000s.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://youtu.be/UKJdLpxOTs4

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I watched that entire thing and the argument 'people used to hate old Simpsons episodes but now love them' doesn't really hold when you factor in the time it takes for people to around to them

I'd put money on these episodes getting better comparatively, when you see the true depths of the Simpsons then Saddlesore Galactica suddenly doesn't seem so bad

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The Simpsons used to be about middle class American morons, now the writers have no idea what that looks like so they just channel Los Angeles self-masturbation and musical theater for some reason.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Also "people hated the old episodes too!" is basically false. Total fringe nerds on alt.tv.simpsons would complain about the episodes, but the public consensus was nothing but praise.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Ashmole posted:

There's an episode in season 13 I think where Bart and Milhouse break into the Flanders' house. Bart finds a note or something and says "that's SO gay!" and then says "these losers are out of food!" It just seemed really out of character to me because Bart is usually mischievous but not just outright mean. Definitely seemed like they were trying to be "cool" for the time by trying to redefine Bart's bad boy image for the 2000s.
Is Bart ever portrayed as bullying someone specifically besides picking on Lisa?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

lurker2006 posted:

Is Bart ever portrayed as bullying someone specifically besides picking on Lisa?

He takes advantage of Millhouse a lot, but that's not quite the same thing.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 18, 2021

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

womb with a view posted:

I still maintain that these awful modern episodes aren't quite as bad at that edgy era (around seasons 14-20 maybe?) of "girls are bad at math" and "Homer gets raped by a panda" episodes. These are awful but at least they don't make me furious. Just tired, mostly.
The post golden age edgy era was terrible comparatively but it largely remained in the realm of a passable adult comedy for me, like watching syndication on comedy central late at night, the current late 10s stuff usually makes me cringe within seconds like I'm watching Ellen or Big Bang Theory.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

This whole self-deprecating "my assistants are so afraid of me" schtick maybe actually isn't something that's very funny JJ

Extremely good perspective here

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The last episode I remember watching on TV was one where they went to Legoland and there was something to do with Albuquerque? I tuned out shortly after that.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Hakkesshu posted:

2:28 Homer's running animation

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elderbean posted:

The last episode I remember watching on TV was one where they went to Legoland and there was something to do with Albuquerque? I tuned out shortly after that.

We already have the perfect animated representation of Albuquerque

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE37e1eK2mY

...though apparently they did change their baseball team name to the Isotopes. It's actually pretty fitting iirc, they got a ton of science and military research places. (Black Mesa is supposed to be located in New Mexico iirc)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We already have the perfect animated representation of Albuquerque

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE37e1eK2mY

...though apparently they did change their baseball team name to the Isotopes. It's actually pretty fitting iirc, they got a ton of science and military research places. (Black Mesa is supposed to be located in New Mexico iirc)

There is a Black Mesa in New Mexico. It's more of a Native American sacred site than a government weapons lab, but it's near a government weapons lab.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I actually remember liking the "Hey, and the napkin says Albuquerque Isotopes!" joke. Mind you, it's literally the only thing I remember from that episode.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Pretty good posted:

Extremely good perspective here

How do you gently caress up perspective when you're literally 3d rendering

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

The new one doesn't even have a framing device, it just plows right into Homer being a teen in the 1990s. He says "What's the haps pop diggity?" to Abe, who is putting vodka in his cereal and whom I envy. Homer aspires to be a DJ.

Watch this if you want to cringe so hard your skeleton jumps out of your skin.

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1371306490619920385

Is this...is this real? Is "what's the haps pop diggity" meant to be some sort of satirical commentary? What the gently caress did I just see? :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ikanreed posted:

How do you gently caress up perspective when you're literally 3d rendering

I don't ... think they are. Digital ink/paint != 3D rendering

No reason to do 3d wireframes and puppets and everything unless you're going all the way with it, like for a car or building