Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yawgmoth posted:

Either that or his tendons are escaping into the cracks in the street.

Ugh I hate when that happens. Really ruins your day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Day?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O I forgot to mention that I’m the Wolverine. Bub.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Has anybody received their Hearts of Wulin stuff yet? I ordered the book and just got the PDF but from preliminary reports I’ve been getting from some of the folks it generally focuses more on the emotional ties between characters and the narrative moreso than how to get charm cascades or other such mechanical beat em up the most wuxia way possible type of affair. I can get behind this but I also am curious on other interpretations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Turns out connective tissue is pretty much interchangeable. You can just replace them with whatever.

When I tore my ACL the doctors were like "hey, you've got this big thick hamstring tendon up here and you don't really need all of it. We'll just slice off a bit and stick it in your knee."

It did take a bit more than a day to heal that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

aldantefax posted:

Has anybody received their Hearts of Wulin stuff yet? I ordered the book and just got the PDF but from preliminary reports I’ve been getting from some of the folks it generally focuses more on the emotional ties between characters and the narrative moreso than how to get charm cascades or other such mechanical beat em up the most wuxia way possible type of affair. I can get behind this but I also am curious on other interpretations.

That's what makes it cool, IMO. It's designed to emulate wuxia drama series with love triangles and conflicting loyalties and star-crossed lovers, which is 100% the right approach to take for PbtA. That's why Entanglements are so important and why the Scale mechanic is designed so that the big evil sect leader can just trounce you single-handed until you go away and train or find some secret manual teaching you a new technique that lets you fight them on an even footing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

:laffo: thanks for the great cat toy Miniatures Market!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

apparently my problem with playing rpgs all these years was 1) being the player and 2) playing fantasy settings

i'm having no problems coming up with adventures for this monster of the week game we've got going and i'm having more fun running it than i ever did playing anything. i'm pretty sure my next game is going to be ripping off the plot to dionea house

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

You laugh, but I've never gotten a damaged item in a Miniature Market delivery.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

Well did your cat enjoy it? Where are the pictures of your cat?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Xiahou Dun posted:

Well did your cat enjoy it? Where are the pictures of your cat?

Obviously since I said something about it they hardly gave any shits about the box. They know. They've been spending a lot of time trying to reclaim baby paraphernalia.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

Obviously since I said something about it they hardly gave any shits about the box. They know. They've been spending a lot of time trying to reclaim baby paraphernalia.

Yeah that sounds like cats. I had two friends each have babies during the pandemic so I sent them a boppy and some muslins and a million snacks, and in both cases I got a text thanking me with a picture of a baby cuddled next to a cat. These friends do not know each other.

But it is how I first saw my god daughter and she’s a total cutey. Can’t wait for enough vaccinations to come out so I can finally fly over and meet her.

Also those are some A+ good kittehs, would pet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Trying to get a new game off the ground where I told my group, I'd like you to be working for one of the big heroic NPCs or at the very least be the kind of "neutral" where you actively abstain from random murder and treachery and whatnot, cause by now it's kinda been there, done that, and one of them thought up a former inquisitor while the other is "waffling between gutter runner and plague priest" and I'm like guys seriously.

not remotely actually a Warhammer game by the way

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
How do I get someone to run Tenra Bansho Zero for me? Or any game for that matter? There’s so many games I’d like to play but I am a terrible gm

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

thetoughestbean posted:

How do I get someone to run Tenra Bansho Zero for me? Or any game for that matter? There’s so many games I’d like to play but I am a terrible gm

it's pretty difficult since GMing has the biggest mental load. I guess ask nicely, offer to handle as much admin as possible. Alternatively, GM it as the only way to stop being terrible is practice. You do you though

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Wrestlepig posted:

it's pretty difficult since GMing has the biggest mental load.

And on that note: desire to GM sitting in the back of my head, please go away, I am not in any sort of condition to entertain you any time soon.
Feels bad to not be, though.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I had a baby girl. Now I'm sitting in a chair for four hours a night brainstorming adventures for when my campaigns start back up (taking a break due to aforementioned baby). Plus side, I've got so much content prepped I can probably wing it into 2022. Downside? Writing entire adventures with your thumb is wildly unpleasant.

Thanks to whomever for Star Wars Alien Archive recommendation. My son will now tell anybody who will listen why Tuskan Raiders hunt Krayt dragons, but he doesn't know who Han Solo is.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Inkwell Ideas has a 2 for 1 deal on a lot of their products, including these nifty dice with dungeon patterns on the side: https://store.inkwellideas.com/ buy2-get1-free

They've also got the patterns available as fonts so you can use a word processor to write up a quick dungeon crawl. What other software are people using to make maps? Are there any brush packs I should look into for InkScape?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Fun Foundry thing my group discovered: You can break the server by rolling 1d9999999999999etc.

I self host on my computer which has issues at the best of times. My friends decided to gently caress around rolling ridiculous d#'s and my comp ground to a halt. We hosed around trying to fix it, basic restart, uninstall mods etc, and nothing worked until I flushed the chat. Oddly enough some of the other players also had performance issues but some didn't.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

forums business: LifeLynx has stepped down as IK of the magic thread. I appreciate both his willingness to give community service in that capacity a try, and the responsibility inherent in deciding it wasn't working out and letting me know he needed to step aside.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

That Old Tree posted:

Hey why was it that World of Darkness won out over Nightlife!?

I would love it if Bradley McDevitt got the same chance that Dave Allsop did to do a new edition of his game with creative control and high production value. Sadly, the rights situation surrounding Nightlife means that will never happen.

Huh, there's only one abandoned F&F of Nightlife; I should do it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So Kevin Crawford's Worlds Without Number (and its free version here) was released the other day. As usual for Crawford its main pull is the GM tools it provides for making sandbox games easier to run, but I want to give it a shot as a system for new-ish people to TTRPG's.

I was thinking of running Keep on the Borderlands for some newbies using WWN, since it's fully-compatible out of the box and, apparently, all I really need to do is invert Armor Class values. I've never played or ran KotB, I really only know it as this hallowed module from the annals of TTRPG history that consistently gets rated really highly. How much of that is just nostalgia, and does the module have any value as a "welcome to tabletop RPG's" introductory adventure in TYOOL 2021? If not, any suggestions for a better intro module that's OSR-compatible and pretty setting-neutral as befits a sandbox game?

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 18, 2021

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Drone posted:

So Kevin Crawford's Worlds Without Number
I was thinking of running Keep on the Borderlands for some newbies using WWN, since it's fully-compatible out of the box and, apparently, all I really need to do is invert Armor Class values. I've never played or ran KotB, I really only know it as this hallowed module from the annals of TTRPG history that consistently gets rated really highly. How much of that is just nostalgia, and does the module have any value as a "welcome to tabletop RPG's" introductory adventure in TYOOL 2021? If not, any suggestions for a better intro module that's OSR-compatible and pretty setting-neutral as befits a sandbox game?

Other than it being 'the first big adventure' I wouldn't really recommend it. DnD5e's 'DnD Next' playtest actually included the largest section of it, the Caves of Chaos, as its playtest adventure and there's not really much to it other than "here's a bunch of caves of different monsters next to it for no real reason".

It's also explicitly designed for six to nine characters at face value.

As an individual module it's highly rated because as an intro adventure the actual GMing advice was pretty good for the time, but the adventure itself, in isolation, isn't going to impress.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

OtspIII is working on an F&F of it, but my reading has always been that it’s pretty rough and bare-bones and not that helpful.

But I’m also not an OSR guy cause I played old D&D for ages and I’m just sick of it, so keep my bias in mind.

I’d do one of the weird modules with like robots instead but god speed, friend.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My recommendation for an OSR adventure that you can run out of the box would be the Yellow Toad God's Well on the back of Black Streams: Solo Heroes, a free supplement that Kevin Crawford did many years back that was his first attempt at creating rules for OSR D&D that would allow one-player-one-DM games (which would eventually turn into Scarlet Heroes).

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

lol

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

There's a reasonably good quality scan of it up on the Internet Archive

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

drrockso20 posted:

There's a reasonably good quality scan of it up on the Internet Archive
Ooh, neat, thanks!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Speaking of Kevin Crawford, just did a reread of one of his older products, the Red Tide setting, and while overall I have a higher opinion of it than when I last read it(about 5 years ago), it does still have some huge glaring issues;

1) even by OSR standards it's way too low fantasy for it's own good by default

2) the titular Red Tide is honestly incredibly lame as an antagonistic force, essentially just a bad Warhammer Chaos knockoff but with most of the interesting parts of that shaved off

3) the Shou(this setting's equivalent to Goblins and Orcs) unfortunately more than anything just come off as an incredibly racist* concept in execution as on the one hand the book goes out of it's way dozens of times to remind you that Shou are barely any different at all from regular humans physically, while also reminding you just as often that they are horrible people with literally no redeeming factors as a culture

Overall it has some good ideas but if I were to use it I'd probably be making a good amount of changes to it

*which since Crawford did a reasonably good job on avoiding making them match too closely with any one particular real world people means it feels like they're a racist caricature of an ethnicity that doesn't exist which feels really weird

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Crawford can miss (I've heard that his treatment of communist ideology in Stars Without Number is somewhat problematic), but he rather misses somewhat less often and less egregiously than others in his sub-sector of the hobby, which by OSR standards explains why he's otherwise received so well by people who aren't reactionaries.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In my new D&D game my prospective Skaven player adjusted his concept towards being more party-friendly but still a rat person, mechanically simply a reflavoured halfling, and we said what the heck, halflings in our world are just ratfolk now, makes it all a little more unique. Then we hashed out the details and I got a sinking feeling as I realized we were making a race of literal rat people who were facing prejudice for their association with disease and pestilence, and who were, in a society modelled after medieval Europe, also traditionally that society's merchants and traders.

Better just gloss over one of those aspects entirely I think

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Crawford can miss (I've heard that his treatment of communist ideology in Stars Without Number is somewhat problematic), but he rather misses somewhat less often and less egregiously than others in his sub-sector of the hobby, which by OSR standards explains why he's otherwise received so well by people who aren't reactionaries.

He gets his jabs in at our anarchist comrades too.

On the whole the reason he does well in this arena is that he generally never talks about his personal opinions and sticks almost completely to just talking about games, and his own games specifically. Staying off social media also helps, and on Reddit he largely sticks to just answering mechanical questions and providing technical details on how he fulfills his Kickstarter projects. Dude could be a big-time chud, but if he is he keeps it to himself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Unfortunately taking unprovoked shots at communism and anarchism could also be just bog standard centrist liberal, hard to tell.

My Lovely Horse posted:

In my new D&D game my prospective Skaven player adjusted his concept towards being more party-friendly but still a rat person, mechanically simply a reflavoured halfling, and we said what the heck, halflings in our world are just ratfolk now, makes it all a little more unique. Then we hashed out the details and I got a sinking feeling as I realized we were making a race of literal rat people who were facing prejudice for their association with disease and pestilence, and who were, in a society modelled after medieval Europe, also traditionally that society's merchants and traders.

Had some ideas a while back for what basically Skaven from a non-broken society would look like; rats are quite clean, extremely social and physically affectionate creatures. Maybe also throw in some propensity to inventive mad science, creativity and curiosity in a more benign context, because that's always fun.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I would like to inform you all that dwarves are just the larval form of elves. I will not be taking questions.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

In my new D&D game my prospective Skaven player adjusted his concept towards being more party-friendly but still a rat person, mechanically simply a reflavoured halfling, and we said what the heck, halflings in our world are just ratfolk now, makes it all a little more unique.
Large, communal families, obsessed with food, hairy feet :hmmyes:

My Lovely Horse posted:

Then we hashed out the details and I got a sinking feeling as I realized we were making a race of literal rat people who were facing prejudice for their association with disease and pestilence, and who were, in a society modelled after medieval Europe, also traditionally that society's merchants and traders.
:stonklol:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 18, 2021

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Gloss over what, doing actual good writing and worldbuilding? Wouldn't abandon those, they all make for good hooks.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

Gloss over what, doing actual good writing and worldbuilding? Wouldn't abandon those, they all make for good hooks.
It's the accidental antisemitic stereotypes plutonis

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Splicer posted:

It's the accidental antisemitic stereotypes plutonis

It would be unfortunate if the ratkin were actually an evil race, but not if they are victims of bigotry and misfortune :shrug:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

It would be unfortunate if the ratkin were actually an evil race, but not if they are victims of bigotry and misfortune :shrug:
So the Gorilla Men were once enslaved by the humans and are typically stereotyped as dull, brutish, and primitive haha no relax I see your concerns but these dark-skinned proto-hominids are actually surprisingly intelligent given their ape-like wait come back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
When did Hans Landa get an account?