Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Bust Rodd posted:

Batman sucks because unlike anyone else in the justice league, he could literally solve all of Gotham City’s problems with money but every night makes the conscious choice to spend cash on rims for the batmobile and shark repellent gas grenades
I dunno, while it's a point you could make in the setting of Gotham, and there's definitely stories that can be told around that idea, I've always felt that for Batman to work you have to accept the setting of Gotham as it is, to be a background for Batman's fight against the supervillains of Gotham. Just fighting against the concept of crime itself doesn't work because on a superhero level that's not even side quest stuff, that's just the nameless enemies who you one-shot on the way to whatever your actual objective is. You wouldn't play an entire video game of just effortlessly beating up nameless dudes, or watch a two hour movie of that, there'd be no point.

The point is your villains, who are these ridiculous figures that one way or another are so much beyond the kind of things police would deal with, because their fiction necessitates them having all these shadowy Rube-Goldberg plans that just kinda happen all the time. Batman's the larger than life solution to that problem, through all his training, conditioning, equipment, dedication, cunning, and so on. His wealth is just an excuse for that stuff to be possible, you don't just pay the Joker to retire to the Carribbean, or whatever. It'd probably work on Penguin, maybe? But you always have someone ridiculous doing something ridiculous and probably also horrific, and Batman is the only person who can stop them because this isn't a real thing that happens, in the real world.

You can use Batman to tell a story about social inequality and corruption, and use the plot device of the Bat-Card to fix Gotham's problems in ways that we could also use to improve and support our society in the real world. And maybe you can expand this story into uncovering levels of corruption and grift even in the support systems you're trying to bolster, if you wanted to get more into the seediness of Gotham. And it could be a good story. But it's not your typical Batman story where you have to accept the ridiculous nature of these hyper-genius villains and that Batman pulling out all the stops is going to be the only answer to them. Once you're in that conflict, and the hot air balloon full of toxic gas has been let loose in Gotham, Bruce Wayne's bank account only matters if he can pay the villain to please not kill the entire city.

Besides, for all you might want to ground the fiction of Batman to better represent society's failures and the injustice of wealth inequality, all that happens is you get some writers and directors who think Batman has to be more serious, more menacing, more gritty each time. Everything gets darker and more miserable, again and again, and they either dismiss or fumble the focus on inequality because the conflict with the villains is the plot everyone expects to see. They just make him bigger, meaner, more brutal and fascist, when that's literally what we have the Punisher for. The end result is a Batman who listens to Five Finger Death Punch, shouts "gently caress" a lot and shoots people in the face once every other page. When that's literally what we have the Punisher for.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away there. My point was, Batman isn't really about Gotham being dilapidated and Bruce Wayne being richer than god, it's about villains who can only be stopped by ridiculous methods and those villains still exist even if Wayne buys every single social support system in the city to make a singular entity capable of catering to every single citizen's health, security and wellbeing. Also we need to have a Batman who knows what fun looks like and doesn't mercilessly brutalise people. More of Adam West, and less of whatever the hell Batman Vs Superman was supposed to be.

Edit: uh wow what a first post for this new page of the Playstation 4 Video Game Console thread, my bad you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Id have outdone themselves with the dlc, they've gone out of their way and shown, without a shadow of a doubt, that they cannot for the loving life of them, make a good boss battle. just impossible. a true testament to the craft.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
This dlc plot makes no sense. Oh well, it is done.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Picked up Streets of rage 4 on sale and it's really fun.

Really not used to playing games with almost no defensive options in tyool 2021 though. I guess the defense special is good, but I find myself really wishing for a dodge or block or something. it feels a little cheap when you are locked into a combo and an enemy is able to wind up and land a hit mid combo with nothing I can do about it. I know it's true to the original game but I wouldn't have minded them adding a few more moves.

Still, very cool game though. it's actually sort of tough. Especially since I played the first 6 levels as blaze before realizing she's terrible lol. The new girl they added is super powerful.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Really not used to playing games with almost no defensive options in tyool 2021 though. I guess the defense special is good, but I find myself really wishing for a dodge or block or something. it feels a little cheap when you are locked into a combo and an enemy is able to wind up and land a hit mid combo with nothing I can do about it. I know it's true to the original game but I wouldn't have minded them adding a few more moves.

Still, very cool game though. it's actually sort of tough. Especially since I played the first 6 levels as blaze before realizing she's terrible lol. The new girl they added is super powerful.

Blaze was literally the best character in the game until they buffed a bit the others. They only nerfed some infinite combos but Blaze is top tier. Axel was the worst one but now is pretty decent.

Combat system is deeper than it appears at first and using the special and then healing back through more hits is like rallying on Bloodborne.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
SOR4 is pretty difficult, took me a while to get through story mode and had to use some handicaps along the way. It takes a while to properly get good because it’s all about positioning and knowing enemy movements. I thought it would be trivial since “it’s just a beat em up how hard can button mashing be?”but no it’s an awesome and very deep game. Don’t even get me started on the soundtrack.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

This may have been mentioned before as it started a few days ago but Sony is giving away free to OWN games again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL6onnD11mQ

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheDarkFlame posted:

I dunno, while it's a point you could make in the setting of Gotham, and there's definitely stories that can be told around that idea, I've always felt that for Batman to work you have to accept the setting of Gotham as it is, to be a background for Batman's fight against the supervillains of Gotham. Just fighting against the concept of crime itself doesn't work because on a superhero level that's not even side quest stuff, that's just the nameless enemies who you one-shot on the way to whatever your actual objective is. You wouldn't play an entire video game of just effortlessly beating up nameless dudes, or watch a two hour movie of that, there'd be no point.

The point is your villains, who are these ridiculous figures that one way or another are so much beyond the kind of things police would deal with, because their fiction necessitates them having all these shadowy Rube-Goldberg plans that just kinda happen all the time. Batman's the larger than life solution to that problem, through all his training, conditioning, equipment, dedication, cunning, and so on. His wealth is just an excuse for that stuff to be possible, you don't just pay the Joker to retire to the Carribbean, or whatever. It'd probably work on Penguin, maybe? But you always have someone ridiculous doing something ridiculous and probably also horrific, and Batman is the only person who can stop them because this isn't a real thing that happens, in the real world.

You can use Batman to tell a story about social inequality and corruption, and use the plot device of the Bat-Card to fix Gotham's problems in ways that we could also use to improve and support our society in the real world. And maybe you can expand this story into uncovering levels of corruption and grift even in the support systems you're trying to bolster, if you wanted to get more into the seediness of Gotham. And it could be a good story. But it's not your typical Batman story where you have to accept the ridiculous nature of these hyper-genius villains and that Batman pulling out all the stops is going to be the only answer to them. Once you're in that conflict, and the hot air balloon full of toxic gas has been let loose in Gotham, Bruce Wayne's bank account only matters if he can pay the villain to please not kill the entire city.

Besides, for all you might want to ground the fiction of Batman to better represent society's failures and the injustice of wealth inequality, all that happens is you get some writers and directors who think Batman has to be more serious, more menacing, more gritty each time. Everything gets darker and more miserable, again and again, and they either dismiss or fumble the focus on inequality because the conflict with the villains is the plot everyone expects to see. They just make him bigger, meaner, more brutal and fascist, when that's literally what we have the Punisher for. The end result is a Batman who listens to Five Finger Death Punch, shouts "gently caress" a lot and shoots people in the face once every other page. When that's literally what we have the Punisher for.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away there. My point was, Batman isn't really about Gotham being dilapidated and Bruce Wayne being richer than god, it's about villains who can only be stopped by ridiculous methods and those villains still exist even if Wayne buys every single social support system in the city to make a singular entity capable of catering to every single citizen's health, security and wellbeing. Also we need to have a Batman who knows what fun looks like and doesn't mercilessly brutalise people. More of Adam West, and less of whatever the hell Batman Vs Superman was supposed to be.

Edit: uh wow what a first post for this new page of the Playstation 4 Video Game Console thread, my bad you guys.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

Id have outdone themselves with the dlc, they've gone out of their way and shown, without a shadow of a doubt, that they cannot for the loving life of them, make a good boss battle. just impossible. a true testament to the craft.

I haven’t got to the final boss but I loved the first two levels. It’s really good. They are excellent examples of good story DLC, they just feel like old-school expansion packs.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Last night, when donating things to the nest in Things Betwixt, I accidentally ate a smooth and silky stone instead of leaving it.

We all laughed.

Then I donated my remaining one and got the Asylum Demon club.
Which a few people could not believe.

Then I donated a petrified something and got a second Asylum Demon club.
Which made chat even wilder.

Now I am thinking about dual wielding two Asylum Demon Clubs :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

veni veni veni posted:

Blaze is S tier.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I haven’t got to the final boss but I loved the first two levels. It’s really good. They are excellent examples of good story DLC, they just feel like old-school expansion packs.

They felt really short, shorter than last dlc and base game at least. think covid affected things. Still fun and good combat design. I find it funny they had to nerf a certain enemy because of that new enemy buff purple buff power lol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

VideoGames posted:

Last night, when donating things to the nest in Things Betwixt, I accidentally ate a smooth and silky stone instead of leaving it.

We all laughed.

Then I donated my remaining one and got the Asylum Demon club.
Which a few people could not believe.

Then I donated a petrified something and got a second Asylum Demon club.
Which made chat even wilder.

Now I am thinking about dual wielding two Asylum Demon Clubs :)

Holy poo poo

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Got the platinums for Day of the Tentacle, on to Full Throttle for the Tim Schafer trifecta.

I could not imagine finishing that game if I needed to go back to the chron-o-john for every flush.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

I could not imagine finishing that game if I needed to go back to the chron-o-john for every flush.

You don't wanna know how long it took me to figure out you didn't need to do that :negative:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

TheDarkFlame posted:

You wouldn't play an entire video game of just effortlessly beating up nameless dudes, or watch a two hour movie of that, there'd be no point.

you should watch Hardcore Henry

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And that's Turok 2 done, Turok 3 when

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

goblin week posted:

you should watch Hardcore Henry

you absolutely should not

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

you absolutely should not

Double feature with Boss Level

e aren't the John Wick movies mostly Keanu Reeves blasting through a crowd of mooks using gun-fu or whatever? I'm one of the four people on Earth who have never seen any of the John Wick movies

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

And that's Turok 2 done, Turok 3 when

when they can figure out the rights issues :negative: (or pull out the n64 and snipe a cheap copy on ebay)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

that is totally something johnny silverhand would say :allears:

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 20, 2021

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

Holy poo poo

Mega lucky :D

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well poo poo, they disabled remote play for Tetris Effect some months back because of "contractual reasons" even though it still works on Xbox through Xcloud or whatever. That's some bullshit, playing it on the Vita was fun. :(

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Stare-Out posted:

Well poo poo, they disabled remote play for Tetris Effect some months back because of "contractual reasons" even though it still works on Xbox through Xcloud or whatever. That's some bullshit, playing it on the Vita was fun. :(

So I just looked into this because I was curious about why they would remove that function, and I had no idea remote play functionality could be a paid exclusive feature?!? Kind of dumb imo, and a little jarring to see features being removed from titles long after their release.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
never understood the obsession with bruce wayne when terry mcginnis is around to show what a grimdark dark grimness bruce was at least terry was capable of smiling

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

JollyBoyJohn posted:

LMAO my bae has completed NCIS the Videogame 3 times and Tomb Raider 2013 and otherwise hasn't touched a game in 10 years

3 times since it came out my fiancee asks me to delete her save on hohokum so she can play it over, she beats it over a couple weeks of 15-20 min sessions, and that's it. No other games, no mobile games, just not at all interested in finding out if there's anything else she may also like.
We are about to hit the 4th cycle, downloaded it to the ps5 for her last night.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

So I just looked into this because I was curious about why they would remove that function, and I had no idea remote play functionality could be a paid exclusive feature?!? Kind of dumb imo, and a little jarring to see features being removed from titles long after their release.

Yeah, it's nuts, especially since it's such a niche feature at the end of the day.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Casnorf posted:

never understood the obsession with bruce wayne when terry mcginnis is around to show what a grimdark dark grimness bruce was at least terry was capable of smiling

They retroactively made Terry a literal clone of Bruce Wayne in the comics and I think one of the weird serial cartoons that only got like 1 season on the WB, so just hold Batman Beyond in its own little cradle of canon safely from the other bad Batmans

Inspector Hound posted:

Double feature with Boss Level

e aren't the John Wick movies mostly Keanu Reeves blasting through a crowd of mooks using gun-fu or whatever? I'm one of the four people on Earth who have never seen any of the John Wick movies

JW1 is a 9/10 action movie (weak ending, bad final boss), and ironically is having the same impact on action movies now that The Matrix had on every action movie for the like 20 years after the fact. We’re gonna be seeing John Wick clones every year for the next decade, it’s already happening. It’s just a beautifully choreographed ballet of violence up there with Ong Bak or The Raid and a really awesome movie to toss on when you’re bored.

JW2 is like a John Wick fan film but it has ultra sick boss fights even if the setpieces like the Italian castle rave and the Airport silencer shootout are pretty meh. Unfortunately the movie thinks we all want LORE and starts piling it on. I wouldn’t watch this if you didn’t love the first one.

JW3 is OOOOOO-Kay, merely “pretty good”. It has a couple of truly insane action sequences but ultimately is dragged into a puddle of bad lore and weird globe-trotting nonsense and even though the fights are extremely high quality John’s style morphs from the graceful and minimal gun kata of the first film to basically Black Widow style “endless cascade of flips and rolls”. Special shout-out to Halle Berry and her killer shepherds, that action scene is already legendary. Supposedly the most complicated animal action sequence ever filmed (outside of a French arthouse movie about dogs taking over the world), and Berry had to live in a hotel room with the dogs for 6 weeks to properly train and bond with them.

Watch John Wick if you live violence, it’s good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

JW1 is a 9/10 action movie (weak ending, bad final boss), and ironically is having the same impact on action movies now that The Matrix had on every action movie for the like 20 years after the fact. We’re gonna be seeing John Wick clones every year for the next decade, it’s already happening. It’s just a beautifully choreographed ballet of violence up there with Ong Bak or The Raid and a really awesome movie to toss on when you’re bored.

JW2 is like a John Wick fan film but it has ultra sick boss fights even if the setpieces like the Italian castle rave and the Airport silencer shootout are pretty meh. Unfortunately the movie thinks we all want LORE and starts piling it on. I wouldn’t watch this if you didn’t love the first one.

JW3 is OOOOOO-Kay, merely “pretty good”. It has a couple of truly insane action sequences but ultimately is dragged into a puddle of bad lore and weird globe-trotting nonsense

Agree with all this. They definitely get worse as they go. The lore stuff STINKS.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
So I just spent the last couple of days (minus streaming) learning how to edit video. :)

I made this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg8rYlDRMvw

I hgope you enjoy!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDbSi5cN63U

all my souls peeps please watch this

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

VideoGames posted:

So I just spent the last couple of days (minus streaming) learning how to edit video. :)

I made this:

I hgope you enjoy!

Oh my, oh my, oh my... :3: :glomp:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

I made this:

I hgope you enjoy!

Hahaha this is great. You did it!!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
You guys rock. :3: Nice to know my healing inability has been with me from day one though!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If you’re thinking of watching some dumb nerd talk about why Batman is bad or something for 9 hours on vimeo you should def just loop the two videos above for that time instead.

Perfection

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VideoGames posted:

I made this:

I hgope you enjoy!

lol the way you said 'no' to gherman

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veeg heal

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish I didn’t want to just keep playing Bloodborne over and over again lol :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

You don't wanna know how long it took me to figure out you didn't need to do that :negative:

you and my wife both