Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

hobbesmaster posted:

Actually yeah they’d be disqualified too. Actual certified firefighters need to be able to carry people up to a certain weight out of a building while wearing full gear and with oxygen. However I suspect the technique might be a bit different than for men and I’m betting they did not have any guidance on the subject.

Women qualify as certified lifeguards all the time, they have to pass a similar type of practice rescue test. I’m sure it’s very possible.

There are also things that women are better at by definition than men, you don't see Freepers clamoring to have all-woman submarine crews or no more male astronauts.

So if they were actually arguing some kind of principle, they'd push for these things as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

pseudanonymous posted:

There are also things that women are better at by definition than men, you don't see Freepers clamoring to have all-woman submarine crews or no more male astronauts.

So if they were actually arguing some kind of principle, they'd push for these things as well.

Don't forget tank crews. (Although really we're just talking about average size by now.)

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
What you're saying is that we should be supporting our local senshado team.

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

I actually never heard that women were better at being astronauts or submarine crew than men. What's the reason for it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Being smaller is useful in both instances.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

quote:

During my time undercover at San Francisco State University, I met quite a few liberal, wacko women.

What?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Reflections85 posted:

I actually never heard that women were better at being astronauts or submarine crew than men. What's the reason for it?

Women (on average!) need less oxygen, water, food and weigh less. Good for submarines, incredibly important for space.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Women on average need less resources to survive and marginally better upper body strength isn't going to be much of an advantage in these sorts of extreme environments is what I've always been told.

^this^

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I think there's an anime about a bunch of girl astronauts who are chosen in part because they're small and that saved resources. Also they redesigned their space suits to be smaller too for similar reasons which is why you can totally see their butts and boobs. It is anime, after all.

edit: It's called Rocket Girls

The first episode is literally called "High School Girl, Lift off!" Anime is gross (and predictable)

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 26, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anime gave us Ouran High School Host Club, so actually it's impossible to say whether it's good or bad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean Rocket girls started out as a light novel (which is just a novel but shorter and marketed to kids) but it apparently won some sci fi awards

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I think by undercover he just means "Colleges are wacko commie lib institutions and I had to hide my conservatism or else they'd fail me."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think by undercover he just means "Colleges are wacko commie lib institutions and I had to hide my conservatism or else they'd fail me."
When I was in college I saw the dude who was in like four of my courses who referred to Hitler as "peace loving" and liked to ask why the US was on the "wrong side" get grades comparable to my own, if perhaps significantly more quiet personal conferences with the instructor. For some reason.

Of course, this was quite some time ago, but I'm starting to think that - though I know I should not speak ill of America's rightful rulers - guys who identify as "conservative" may just be full of poo poo! Perhaps even disproportionately so.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

My undergrad was a rich kid Graduate school prep institution in Kentucky that I somehow got a scholarship into. We were still more left students than right, but it was 2002-2006. There was a lot of Toby Keith "We'll put a boot up your rear end!" rah rah post 9/11, early GWOT American bullshit.

Anyways, I wrote 310 papers in four years and the majority of classes was debate style that you could very much fail. I remember two or three hard conservatives that were monsters to deal with, because they were good at it. Well read, thought on their feet, and sneaky.

Freep doesn't have any of these types. But when I think "Intelligent Conservative" in 2002 it means something pretty different than 2021.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Women (on average!) need less oxygen, water, food and weigh less. Good for submarines, incredibly important for space.

Also, proportionately fewer women experience vision loss as a result of time in free-fall.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/gravity-affects-men-women-differently/story?id=27026408

quote:

While only a small portion of astronauts were studied, 82 percent of male astronauts, or 14 out of 17, were found to have suffered from changes to their vision that researchers called visual impairment intracranial pressure, or VIIP.

They called the impairment "one of the most serious spaceflight-related health risks."

While a large majority of the male astronauts had a problem, statistically fewer women were struck with the same symptoms. Only 62 percent, or 5 out of 8 female astronauts reported the same symptoms and none had as severe symptoms as some of the male astronauts. Researchers were examining if the women’s age, hormones or vascular health helped them fare better in space.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Log posted:

My undergrad was a rich kid Graduate school prep institution in Kentucky that I somehow got a scholarship into. We were still more left students than right, but it was 2002-2006. There was a lot of Toby Keith "We'll put a boot up your rear end!" rah rah post 9/11, early GWOT American bullshit.

Anyways, I wrote 310 papers in four years and the majority of classes was debate style that you could very much fail. I remember two or three hard conservatives that were monsters to deal with, because they were good at it. Well read, thought on their feet, and sneaky.

Freep doesn't have any of these types. But when I think "Intelligent Conservative" in 2002 it means something pretty different than 2021.

Ted Cruz was a high school/college debate team champion iirc. This will never not be funny to me.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ted Cruz was a high school/college debate team champion iirc. This will never not be funny to me.

Competitive debate and the ability to actually speak to people and persuade or influence them have nothing whatsoever to do with each other.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Competitive debate and the ability to actually speak to people and persuade or influence them have nothing whatsoever to do with each other.

Very good at teaching you to forsake all your own beliefs in the pursuit of points though

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

As a former debater, this is very true.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Salvage Efforts Continue in Suez

quote:

To: em2vn
Why doesn't someone just blow the drat thing up and let traffic through?
It's just one boat.

Bet people would pay to see it blown to bits.

27 posted on 03/27/2021 11:10:13 AM PDT by A Cyrenian (Send everyone back to their states and let the states pay for their congress electives.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

quote:

To: Seaplaner
Helicopters might not be able to lift all those loaded containers. Even if they could it would be a huge undertaking and very inefficient. If it were the only option, I suppose it could be done.

Maybe a temporary coffer dam to raise the water level?

38 posted on 3/27/2021, 12:02:03 PM by Tallguy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Tallguy
..or a well placed missile, and blow the thing to fairy dust....and clean up the debris later.

39 posted on 3/27/2021, 12:05:04 PM by Daffynition (*Mega Dittoes and Mega Prayers* & :))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

quote:

To: em2vn
The speculation regarding a deliberate use of the Evergreen ship to block the Suez Canal is all very interesting. With all the difficulties, it is still a temporary situation. Perhaps this is just a technical “dry run”, run aground in this case, to determine if blocking the canal IS possible, and how long will it take to correct.

More evidence of deliberate sabotage would come with a similar or even more destructive action at the Panama Canal. Then what? High prices certainly, but American Navy ships would be blocked from transferring between oceans, temporarily cutting the US Fleet in half. Who might benefit from that, I’ll let you guess.

40 posted on 3/27/2021, 12:16:46 PM by Richard Axtell (President Asterisk is an rear end to risk the economy and rights of all Americans.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Dropping cruise missiles on the middle east is like the Freeper version of cycling your router when you don't know what's wrong.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

No, because cycling the router actually works sometimes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ah yes, all problems can be solved with explosions.

Also lol at "this is actually a secret Chinese plot!"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
hmm, so the problem is that a large boat is blocking the canal. What if we used a missle to create an enormous pile of flaming wreckage? Would that help it be moved?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure that's how they made the canal in the first place. They just dug through the landscape with explosive weaponry, like it was a Red Faction game.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's how they made the canal in the first place. They just dug through the landscape with explosive weaponry, like it was a Red Faction game.

They didn't blow up enormous metal objects in the center of the waterway though, I'm pretty sure.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
And there's a world of difference between explosives used for leveling earth/buildings and explosives used to ruin a wedding. One's an exact science while the other has a margin of error

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Captain Monkey posted:

hmm, so the problem is that a large boat is blocking the canal. What if we used a missle to create an enormous pile of flaming wreckage? Would that help it be moved?

This is honestly the closest statement to trump's presidential response to runs event

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

I don't know why it takes people so long to dig tunnels. You just get a rocket launcher and an ammo crate and start shooting.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Look all I'm saying is when I blow up a boat in Advance Wars it completely disappears, clearly it works the same way in real life.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
They really have no idea how big that ship is or how the Suez works or what explosives do.

I don't blame them for not understanding the size of the problem, I had to show my mom that picture of the big earth mover looking like a tinker toy next to it before she got the scale, but thinking you can just blow up a (billion dollar?) ship and sail past it is insane.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you detonate a large enough nuke directly under the ship you’d vaporize it AND expand the canal. Win-win!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It'd be triple-win for freepers since it'd mean you'd also get to nuke the middle-east.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

American Navy ships would be blocked from transferring between oceans, temporarily cutting the US Fleet in half.

I...uh...they can still just sail around Africa...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Chinese Communist Party and ANTIFA are working on a Obamamax class ship they can wedge between South Africa and the Antarctic! :tinfoil:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Suez spelled backwards is Zeus, leader of the Olympus pantheon. The next Olympic games will be held in Tokyo, just a coincidence or is Nippon (a bunch of CHICOM appeasers) preparing for Pearl Harbor 2.0?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nenonen posted:

Suez spelled backwards is Zeus, leader of the Olympus pantheon. The next Olympic games will be held in Tokyo, just a coincidence or is Nippon (a bunch of CHICOM appeasers) preparing for Pearl Harbor 2.0?
This is both actual wordplay and lacks the bitter reflexive meanness. You've lived too full a life to become a true Freeper, Nenonen!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Like I mentioned, I have some insanely fundamental relatives.

Which is why I found this precious gift on Facebook, mixed in with "OMG NIKE SATAN SHOES MOMMIES BOYCOTT BOYCOTT SCREAM!!!"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ain't no proof like removing most of the letters until it agrees with you. That sure does make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The Satan shoe thing is loving weird, though Nike isn't actually releasing it or involved in any capacity, it's just the shoes Lil Nas used as the base happen to be Nikes. Still, shoes made in a sweatshop with a drop of blood in them seems like the kind of poo poo someone would make up to parody capitalism.