Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol. Not a twist I expected but Nissan has poo poo itself over the past 20 years.

Nissans are complete poo poo. My GF's Versa was down for months for repair and cost thousands just so she could pass smog, and it still has a check engine light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

skooma512 posted:

Nissans are complete poo poo. My GF's Versa was down for months for repair and cost thousands just so she could pass smog, and it still has a check engine light

The solution to the check engine light is the same as it ever was: a very thin drill bit and a cordless drill.

Key off, for safety.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The solution to the check engine light is the same as it ever was: a very thin drill bit and a cordless drill.

Key off, for safety.

The Russians used a small sticker.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I admire russian ingenuity but stickers peel off. If I'm going to fix a superficial problem, I'm using permanent solutions.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Two whole light rail lines? Imagine thinking that's "a ton of infrastructure", lmao. And yes, you can take dogs on public transit in most places.

It's sad how low expectations are in the US.

relative to most other major US cities, sadly yes (obviously we have a bus system as well)

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

BonHair posted:

Just bring a gun to the dealership and wave it around occasionally, that'll get you a fair price.

John Q but locked in the showroom while a dude in a bad tie is frantically trying to figure out how to override the undercoating fee.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

downstairs from my 2/2 condo in waikiki was a grocery store, plenty of shops, bars, and restaurants. sure taking the bus to places outside of downtown might take a couple of hours, but who gives a gently caress when you can walk anywhere you need to go?

downside, rent was nearly 2k/month.

Waikiki is funny because there’s such a range in what is offered as a “condo” from brand new construction in a high rise with modern hvac and amenities to lovely cockroach infested cinder block walkups with no parking. Id avoid buying groceries in Waikiki as you’re paying tourist prices. you could get the same stuff for half the price going to the Safeway on kapahulu instead. I’m reminded also in some of those high rise condos there are liquor stores just like hidden on the 10th floor and run by the sketchiest dudes on earth.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
one of my relatives favorite car haggling techniques is just to start crying loudly in the dealership and ask why theyre screwing her. it works best when there are other people there in the middle of a purchase because it really fucks with the other sales deals

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

cumshitter posted:

one of my relatives favorite car haggling techniques is just to start crying loudly in the dealership and ask why theyre screwing her. it works best when there are other people there in the middle of a purchase because it really fucks with the other sales deals

drat that’s smart.

I thought I Big Dick McGee when I wrote a check and said ‘take it or leave it’. Check was no good as I needed to finance through my credit union

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

cumshitter posted:

lmao this is hardcore

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

I teach small humans for a city school system. For saint patricks day I had them write what they would do if they found a pot of gold.

I'm posting a few sanitized versions so we can all see the world that capitalism is making for the youngest generation.

They have all been personally affected by the pandemic having completely disrupted their lives, killed family/friends, lost homes, etc.

In a few cases those dead grandparents were their caregivers.

And none of this even begins to scratch the surface of how much we have lost education wise. It wouldn't be a bad idea to just have every kid in America repeat a grade.
loving FUUUUUUUUUUUCK was just going into the thread to have a sad lol or maybe even a lmao instead hello :crackping: my old friend

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Do the kids not know that money can't buy a soul back from the grave or was the pot of gold also implied to grant wishes

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Looks like someone leaked the document outlining Amazon's Twitter sockpuppet army to the intercept:

https://theintercept.com/2021/03/30/amazon-twitter-ambassadors-jeff-bezos-bernie-sanders/

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Shop at Carmax, home of no haggle pricing!

But no, don't, unless you want something unreliable and want to abuse a warranty.
do sell at carmax, though. i got a full 50% extra on top of what i was willing to settle for when i was moving and couldn't justify shipping it with me

Mr. Nice! posted:

If I still lived in Waikiki, I could live without a car. As I live in north florida, a car is required.
yeah i've been living just outside of waikiki for about a year and a half now. kinda miss the ability to drive on a whim but lmao i've gone into public spaces (where having a car would have made the traveling more convenient isntead of doing public transport/rideshare) like four times in the last six months so w/e

and da bus is da best, top tier public transport as far as the US goes

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

500excf type r posted:

Everyone shopping for a car at a dealership has access to all the resources they could need to make a fully informed decision without needed financing from or through the dealer.

Being ignorant is not and should not be a badge of pride.

What if a person has an IQ of 90? Do you really believe they can make a fully informed decision and not get taken for a ride by a busines specifically set up to prey on them at every step?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Orange Devil posted:

What if a person has an IQ of 90? Do you really believe they can make a fully informed decision and not get taken for a ride by a busines specifically set up to prey on them at every step?

I'll help you shop for a car sweetie, just ask

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

malcolm gladwell here, just dropping in to the capitalism.png thread to defend the inevitability, rationality and goodness, actually, of car sales. sweetie pie.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

500excf type r posted:

:chloe:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't see how having an IQ of 90 would affect buying a car at all. People with IQs of 100 act like complete idiots when buying a car.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't see how having an IQ of 90 would affect buying a car at all. People with IQs of 100 act like complete idiots when buying a car.

it’s commenting on the ableism inherent to that post. a cspam poster for example would have more trouble buying a car without being screwed than someone who mainly posts in gbs, etc etc

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Right it would be simple for me, a genius (went to TrueCar.com first, etc) with an iron will (triumphant), not to get scammed. But other people exist too (confirmation needed) and are differently-abled (e.g., simp behavior).

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Key off, for safety.

just get a cheap odb reader and clear the codes. bonus: you can read the other codes if a different light comes on.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

cumshitter posted:

god drat that owns

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tzen posted:

loving FUUUUUUUUUUUCK was just going into the thread to have a sad lol or maybe even a lmao instead hello :crackping: my old friend

There's a bunch more that's worse (as it relates to our capitalist system).

The school zone I teach in touches a very rich neighborhood and a very poor neighborhood. So I've got children who have literally everything and children who have literally nothing (not even food). The dynamics of the relationships between these kids is horrifying to me.

I have one little girl who rides horses, hangs out at a country club, wears only the nicest things, etc; who constantly (and without any understanding) just destroys another little girl.

"Why are your shoes so dirty?" "Why does your hair look like you didn't brush it?" "Why are you wearing the same clothes you wore the other day?" "Why are you getting a bag of leftover food to take home?"

She has absolutely no concept of any kind of life other than her own.

Shame Boy posted:

Do the kids not know that money can't buy a soul back from the grave or was the pot of gold also implied to grant wishes

Several of the families are having their wages garnished over ER visits. Many probably forgo necessary visits to a doctor, so it tracks that the kids would associate money with the ability to get medical treatment and live.

Also, yes, the leprechaun story I told was that you could give the pot of gold back for a wish.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah obviously you need diamonds for that

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

spacetoaster posted:

Several of the families are having their wages garnished over ER visits. Many probably forgo necessary visits to a doctor, so it tracks that the kids would associate money with the ability to get medical treatment and live.

jesus loving christ

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

life pro tip: if you feel like you haggled a good deal, that just means the salesman was good at his job (which is to make you feel like you didn't get ripped off, while ripping you off)

edit: it's like any other parasite in nature, they don't want their host to notice any pain while they're feeding

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Guys I just bought a great car, some guy was selling it off the back of a truck!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I bought 3 cars at CarMax, and they were all fine

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

There's a bunch more that's worse (as it relates to our capitalist system).

The school zone I teach in touches a very rich neighborhood and a very poor neighborhood. So I've got children who have literally everything and children who have literally nothing (not even food). The dynamics of the relationships between these kids is horrifying to me.

I have one little girl who rides horses, hangs out at a country club, wears only the nicest things, etc; who constantly (and without any understanding) just destroys another little girl.

"Why are your shoes so dirty?" "Why does your hair look like you didn't brush it?" "Why are you wearing the same clothes you wore the other day?" "Why are you getting a bag of leftover food to take home?"

Maybe there's a silver lining and it'll give her a little perspective, I definitely had a very important formative experience in like 7th grade where it suddenly hit me that there are kids way worse off than you and they're every bit as valid.

Or maybe she'll just internalize that poor people are all dirty food hoarders who never change their clothes and therefore they don't deserve healthcare, who knows :sigh:

spacetoaster posted:

Also, yes, the leprechaun story I told was that you could give the pot of gold back for a wish.

Christ that's bleak

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

500excf type r posted:

gently caress your people are rational actors when making purchasing decisions framework, you disgusting liberal.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Orange Devil posted:

gently caress your people are rational actors when making purchasing decisions framework, you disgusting liberal.

don't respond to him, he's dumb

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I wish you could make this girl switch places with the other girl for like, a week, just so she can then incessantly pester her loaded parents about why they don't help people like her classmates. And also because it might, just might, save this girl from becoming a horrible person deserving of a guillotine.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Iron Crowned posted:

See this is a perfect example of how they get you - you probably only went in that day looking to buy one car, but then the upselling starts...

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Orange Devil posted:

I wish you could make this girl switch places with the other girl for like, a week, just so she can then incessantly pester her loaded parents about why they don't help people like her classmates. And also because it might, just might, save this girl from becoming a horrible person deserving of a guillotine.

I think theres a disney movie about this.

Failed Imagineer posted:

See this is a perfect example of how they get you - you probably only went in that day looking to buy one car, but then the upselling starts...

lol

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Re public transportation: we actually have something that kinda works in and around Copenhagen. I can't find it again, but I remember seeing a map of house prices in the greater Copenhagen area, and you could actually see the loving train lines, because having a train close to where you live is pretty loving great. Of course, we still have a bit of car culture, so city buses are slow because of traffic and we only recently got a small metro.

Still, public transport kicks rear end (pandemic notwithstanding), and would be even better without all the cars. Sorry about loving up your infrastructure in the US.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I just learned from wikipedia that carmax was started as a spinoff by... circuit city???

BonHair posted:

Re public transportation: we actually have something that kinda works in and around Copenhagen. I can't find it again, but I remember seeing a map of house prices in the greater Copenhagen area, and you could actually see the loving train lines, because having a train close to where you live is pretty loving great. Of course, we still have a bit of car culture, so city buses are slow because of traffic and we only recently got a small metro.

Still, public transport kicks rear end (pandemic notwithstanding), and would be even better without all the cars. Sorry about loving up your infrastructure in the US.

I liked the big car-free plaza when I visited there (Stroget?)

I stayed on Nørre Søgade and had no trouble getting around - I assume those rectangular "lakes" are all man-made

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Mar 31, 2021

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Failed Imagineer posted:

lmao

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Has elon musk not made those supertunnels for rich people yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Zzulu posted:

Has elon musk not made those supertunnels for rich people yet

I don't think any real ones have been built, only prototypes.