Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wanna read that thesis :hellyeah:

I hope it literally just says,"The German Suplex loving rules" and then the teacher put a big ol' A+ in red pen in the top corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Maybe it was just me but I thought the sound mixing on the show was pretty good this week. Even the entrance music sounds clear, which isn't usually the case.

I didn't notice anything wrong, but lol at AEW's audio setting this bar where being ok is remarkable.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The mix of individual segments was just fine, but the volume varied considerably, at least for me. Several times I had a quiet promo I had to turn up, only for the theme in the next segment to blare out super loud.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Just finished watching that Takeshita vs Limelight match and holy poo poo. That was amazing

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Crapple! posted:

Just finished watching that Takeshita vs Limelight match and holy poo poo. That was amazing

Takeshita was awesome, and Danny apparently plays an excellent shithead. Great match all around.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Mr. Squishy posted:

I wonder why they switched up Joey and Sonny's opponents. It was either so good they wanted it on Dynamite, so bad they didn't want it at all, somebody tested positive and couldn't compete, they wanted to trick @luchablog into watching Elevation, or some other reason.

? It was one of the 4 first matches announced as one of the main events of the show.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

? It was one of the 4 first matches announced as one of the main events of the show.

poo poo, you're right. I thought for sure they'd been billed against some masked wrestlers I did not know.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ozymandius1024 posted:

Takeshita was awesome, and Danny apparently plays an excellent shithead. Great match all around.

It was a little weird that he was playing heel when the commentary was all about how he's a single dad doing this for his kid.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I have just noticed it this episode, but I love that when Leyla isn't posting up in her traditional wrestling pose to face off against her opponent, she tends to just stalk toward them like Jason Vorheese ready to slaughter a fucker. It just looks to intimidating. I love it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Paul and Toney are really making good progress together, mostly as Paul relaxes more and more at the desk, but it still feels like they're missing something. Taz and Excalibur have that incredibly, wonderfully weird chemistry and a selection of guest commentators to bounce off of but I don't think Paul and Toney are ever going to be as loose and free-associating as Taz and Excalibur and I don't think that they'd benefit from a rotating cast of thirds. I do think they need a third though, they need an Excalibur of their own. Veda Scott comes immediately to mind but I don't know if she's as much a play-by-play caller like Excalibur is but she still feels like the best person to be the anchor of that desk.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

When Ex showed up I was wondering if they were testing out what a three man booth could be like for the show. I agree that a dedicated play by play guy would be great for them. Tony was doing great at it, but it seemed like it was at the expenses of his personality cause he was focusing on it. That might get better with time too.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The moment where Paul gets mad about having to call a titty twister was pretty good. Then he dropped into quiet Paul and it was ok.

But I wish his normal calling had the animation of “I’m a multi-time world champion! I’m not calling that!”

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Tall Paul ragging on him for messing up the calls was pretty good.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
no shade on schiavone but i'd be interested in seeing them try a paul/excal booth

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It would be interesting but I'm glad Excalibur isn't doing all three shows, even if he's on mic to the desk for Elevation, three full shows would be a big drat ask given how long the Darks run.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ex is absolutely the voice of AEW but I fell like adding another weekly two hour show to his workload would end with him talking like Leonard Cohen sang by the end of the year.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

rantmo posted:

It would be interesting but I'm glad Excalibur isn't doing all three shows, even if he's on mic to the desk for Elevation, three full shows would be a big drat ask given how long the Darks run.

yeah, i personally think he deserves a break but i did get the impression yesterday that exal is literally there in gorilla while the dark matches are happening (or at least some of them) and if he's going to be there anyway it'd be a thing to try

still, though, it could just be a question of letting paul and tony ease into getting more comfortable

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I agree. Ex is great, but recording 12+ hours of commentary over 2 days every fortnight seems like a recipe for burnout.
They should hire Veda Scott to do it instead

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

flatluigi posted:

yeah, i personally think he deserves a break but i did get the impression yesterday that exal is literally there in gorilla while the dark matches are happening (or at least some of them) and if he's going to be there anyway it'd be a thing to try

still, though, it could just be a question of letting paul and tony ease into getting more comfortable

Yeah I was really surprised to hear them directly addressing Ex in their headset during last night's show. I wondered if that was only because he was there to help with the one match or if he's always there.... listening.. :tinfoil:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

excalibur i know you're reading this forum you need to a.) tell Tony what a Death Valley Driver is and b.) tell him to call it a Spicolli Driver

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Presumably he's not giving the full performance when he's whispering the names of the moves in Paul's ears.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Presumably he's not giving the full performance when he's whispering the names of the moves in Paul's ears.

Yeah, just being available and chiming in when the booth needs information is much easier than being On for a third show. Even if you're not worried about burnout (and you should be) letting the poor guy get that vocal rest is really important.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I just like Ex as the dedicated "can pronounce japanese without looking like a total fool" guy.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I wonder if part of Excalibur's job is to be the research backbone for the booth.

I remember back when New Japan English commentary was still live and in person, Kevin Kelly used to say that he turned up to the venue on the day, got the run sheet, then spent about two hours working on how the different wrestlers had interacted in the past, their respective win / loss records against each other, their motivations, etc, so that anything they might do during the match was something he was prepared for.

I could see Excalibur putting together cheat sheets for Toney and JR with similar info, especially for new guys.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Isn't that part of Alex Marvez's job.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

I agree. Ex is great, but recording 12+ hours of commentary over 2 days every fortnight seems like a recipe for burnout.
They should hire Veda Scott to do it instead

At this point I've seen Veda Scott get brought up in our threads so many times, and its been so long since shes actually done work with AEW that I'm beginning to think its more likely that CM Punk returns to TV on any promotion than it is that Veda shows up on an AEW commentary team.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lethrom posted:

At this point I've seen Veda Scott get brought up in our threads so many times, and its been so long since shes actually done work with AEW that I'm beginning to think its more likely that CM Punk returns to TV on any promotion than it is that Veda shows up on an AEW commentary team.

I agree and that sucks :(

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lethrom posted:

On her try out she didn't have great chemistry with Taz and Excalibur, I think Taz even pronouned her at one point. Which was a little unfair to her because that's got to be one of the most protective booths in the business in terms of chemistry.

I also suspect that she's not flattered by a lot of people wanting her to be a dedicated women's match announcer.

But hey maybe she'll be part of the Speedball package.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/OfficialTAZ/status/1382138485956612097

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

fez_machine posted:

On her try out she didn't have great chemistry with Taz and Excalibur, I think Taz even pronouned her at one point. Which was a little unfair to her because that's got to be one of the most protective booths in the business in terms of chemistry.

I also suspect that she's not flattered by a lot of people wanting her to be a dedicated women's match announcer.

But hey maybe she'll be part of the Speedball package.

I thought they eventually got there by the end of her run, and personally I want her in JR’s spot, which I know is not on the table.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

enigmahfc posted:

I have just noticed it this episode, but I love that when Leyla isn't posting up in her traditional wrestling pose to face off against her opponent, she tends to just stalk toward them like Jason Vorheese ready to slaughter a fucker. It just looks to intimidating. I love it.

The shortest unstoppable force

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Place your bets now, will the main be more DDT or PWG?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
ah, the soothing notes of the pre-theme theme

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I wonder who wrote the stream theme and what kind of royalties they get

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

magiccarpet posted:

I wonder who wrote the stream theme and what kind of royalties they get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9fMU6xfBj0

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Old man Gunn looks like he's melting in his picture during the intro.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bah gawd, its the Hangman

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

NEW BOOT GOOFIN

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nice headgear, DORK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad