Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe it depends how naturally open you are to other people.

:goatsecx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not enough people use the word "suppurating" nowadays.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's especially notable that the only interview to have challenged Robert on his poo poo has come from a US outlet. The British media is so pathetic it's unreal - it's one of those topics that everyone quietly agrees won't be brought up under any circumstances.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean british media is generally extremely incestuous which I think is part of why they were so utterly erect at the opportunity to go after corbyn.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Want to report Virgin for breaching GDPR and the ICO complaint page is down for maintenance.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

Mitchell at least did "Diane Abbott is thick" jokes on HIGNFY.

https://twitter.com/m_e_uslu/status/1212819808733011970?s=20
I only watched it for Ian Hislop's weekly reference to John Prescott and his weight.

Always got me that one. Top tier stuff.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

satire is when you say funny things about someone who wears a suit

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Want to report Virgin for breaching GDPR and the ICO complaint page is down for maintenance.

Just put all of your personal data on a postcard and send it to them.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 14, 2021

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Gorn Myson posted:

I only watched it for Ian Hislop's weekly reference to John Prescott and his weight.

Always got me that one. Top tier stuff.

Roy Hattersley is also fat, much like John Prescott is fat.

*crowd almost dies in laughter*

My enduring HIGNFY memory is Ian Hislop talking about how he thinks that this coalition thing is great after the 2010 Election. Just sincere belief in it. That's the best satire.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jakabite posted:

I’ll be sure to also pick up your favourite, roast beef monster munch

You know drat WELL this is a Flamin' Hot household!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Brooker's the one that makes me seethe the most. The first screenwipe after Corbyn got in was just so... bitter, there was a particular tone and venom to the jabs that just wasn't there for any other public figure during the show. And ofc, him just devolving into straight up repeating verbatim the same libellous poo poo the rest of the media was slinging at Labour after 2017 and calling it a day.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

SteelMentor posted:

Brooker's the one that makes me seethe the most. The first screenwipe after Corbyn got in was just so... bitter, there was a particular tone and venom to the jabs that just wasn't there for any other public figure during the show. And ofc, him just devolving into straight up repeating verbatim the same libellous poo poo the rest of the media was slinging at Labour after 2017 and calling it a day.

Yeah he was the most disappointing to me. He'd so massively shat on the Tories previously that I thought he might welcome Corbyn as a real alternative but nope, 99.9% of successful TV comedians are liberal melt turds.

There are only a few I can think of off the top of my head who haven't fully melted: Stewart Lee, Josie Long, Francesca Martinez, Alexei Sayle.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah he was the most disappointing to me. He'd so massively shat on the Tories previously that I thought he might welcome Corbyn as a real alternative but nope, 99.9% of successful TV comedians are liberal melt turds.

There are only a few I can think of off the top of my head who haven't fully melted: Stewart Lee, Josie Long, Francesca Martinez, Alexei Sayle.

Nish is still good isn't he?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm going to continue to nurse a mental blindspot for Brooker cause he's so good at slagging off Tories and some of Black Mirror is good.

But it's amazing how HIGNFY only lets dickheads on. Maybe Jo Brand is an exception? I have no idea what her politics are like and I don't really care. Also, I haven't really watched HIGNFY post-Angus

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

stev posted:

Nish is very anti-tory and very left, yeah.

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013
Brooker made a whole bunch of important connections off of the success of Black Mirror and suddenly his biting criticisms of the same sort of people he was now rubbing shoulders with completely disappeared. Not too difficult to explain what happened there.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I'm probably very dumb for only just realising this, but the blue-tick hatred for Corbyn is *exactly* like the TERFpocalypse (there is, of course, significant overlap in terms of the people involved) where people who want to pretend they're good have suddenly been given an acceptable target of hatred and have just absolutely let rip.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm probably very dumb for only just realising this, but the blue-tick hatred for Corbyn is *exactly* like the TERFpocalypse (there is, of course, significant overlap in terms of the people involved) where people who want to pretend they're good have suddenly been given an acceptable target of hatred and have just absolutely let rip.

Pretty much yes. Libs across the board prefer to say they're good people rather than, y'know, act like one.

So you get someone like Corbyn who has dedicated his life to improving those of his fellow man and they fall to pieces, lashing out to protect their egos.

It's literally the poo poo Virtue Signalling was invented as a phrase to describe, such a shame it got co-opted.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Miftan posted:

Nish is very anti-tory and very left, yeah.

It's also why he is no longer on TV.

I'm sure the rest of the people making a living in UK entertainment got the message.

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020

stev posted:

Possibly as a person; and could well be as a mechanic. Maybe he'll find a job he's suited to.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I hope Nish is good, he was amazing on Taskmaster. Absolutely crap at it, but he had such fun doing it.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Oh yeah Nish Kumar is good AFAICT. I thought Rachel Parris was good - she did some good bits on The Mash Report, but I've since seen her saying some (vaguely) melty stuff on Twitter. I don't think she's necessarily a bad person or anything but it's that same thing of lack of awareness among comfortable liberals.

Jo Brand used to be very strongly, explicitly anti-Tory and do a decent amount of material on that, but has mostly shut up on that front these days, probably to protect her career.

Oh, Mark Thomas is good too I believe.

Funny how literally everybody we've managed to list as "still good" has disappeared almost entirely off telly and radio though, yeah.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 14, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
David Mitchell clearly has dumb lib views but at least seems to be smart enough to keep his loving mouth shut on the real hot button issues most of the time.

I used to love Brooker and really hoped he might have the self-respect to not fall into the lazy centrist rabbit hole, but oh well. Frankie Boyle too, but at least he had the decency to look remotely ashamed as he sold out to keep his cushy bbc gig.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I think limmy might be one of the few successful comedians I genuinely respect. Working class former alkie getting a big break with the BBC is impressive enough, but the fact that he got a few series out then got the gently caress out of dodge with his winnings and dignity intact and now makes what seems to be a very comfortable living playing videogames on the internet hundreds of miles away from the London media circuit is genuinely very cool.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThomasPaine posted:

David Mitchell clearly has dumb lib views but at least seems to be smart enough to keep his loving mouth shut on the real hot button issues most of the time.

A lot of the younger (ie under 40) comedians seem to do that more often than not these days too. Or they're just utterly indifferent to all of it or are terrified to say anything one way or the other.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
All the TV comedians came through private schools or Oxbridge unis.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

stev posted:

A lot of the younger (ie under 40) comedians seem to do that more often than not these days too. Or they're just utterly indifferent to all of it or are terrified to say anything one way or the other.

That said I quite enjoyed Fern Brady getting as close to accusing Russell Brand of sexually assaulting her as it is humanly possible to do without being willing to go to court lol

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

Isn't that just everyone high profile in UK tv in general? ITV has pet northerners but they're for soft mockery.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Isn't that just everyone high profile in UK tv in general? ITV has pet northerners but they're for soft mockery.

It's been basically every new star over the past forty years. Acting is piss easy yet all the roles go to the fifth Earl of West Cuntburry's Nephew and Niece.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm going to continue to nurse a mental blindspot for Brooker cause he's so good at slagging off Tories and some of Black Mirror is good.

But it's amazing how HIGNFY only lets dickheads on. Maybe Jo Brand is an exception? I have no idea what her politics are like and I don't really care. Also, I haven't really watched HIGNFY post-Angus

Aren't all the presenter jokes written by Merton/Hislop anyway?
HIGNFY is for the rotating jobless in a hope to get some BBC exec to remember their name when the last season on Taskmaster turn it down.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/LiamThorpECHO/status/1382422510210269187?s=19

Any excuse, eh?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gonzo McFee posted:

Does Ross Noble count as a TV comedian? He's pretty down to earth I think but no idea where is politics lie.

E: Sean Lock seems ok too, and from the younger bunch Jon Richardson also seems ok.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 14, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lungboy posted:

He's pretty down to earth
Don't know about his politics but I did just check to make sure he hadn't just died.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Does Ross Noble count as a TV comedian? He's pretty down to earth I think but no idea where is politics lie.

E: Sean Lock seems ok too, and from the younger bunch Jon Richardson also seems ok.

He's just a man with ADHD.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Mother is donating a DVR/VCR to an older lady in her 90s who needs a VHS player. But we can't find the remote. I don't know anything about universal remotes, do you think one might be able to work on this? It is a Toshiba and has scart not HDMI connector.
I've googled like crazy but can't find relevant info.
I think it can be worked from the front if we can't get a remote but I don't know the old lady's capabilities (her daughter is getting it for her.)

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Munin posted:

It's also why he is no longer on TV.

I'm sure the rest of the people making a living in UK entertainment got the message.

There is that - but what left wing comedians are there who could go on HIGNY, or any other panel show of that sort? I'd think that anyone who gets far enough to make the sort of connections to end up on a show is going to be centre left at best by default - and definitely a bit of a lib.

Basically this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLcpcytUnWU but for any media medium you care to think about.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

Posting after the government was forced to change course over exam results, she accused the Labour leader of 'attempting to bask in the victory of a hard won U-turn by thousands of students.'

Speaking of her party leader, she added: "Wind your neck in you brylcreemed sh*******."

I wonder what the word that's too gruesome to print is

shitehawk fits?

e: ah they printed an extra letter of the forbidden word previously and I think it's actually shithouse https://twitter.com/ofthesparrows/status/1295754493049614336?s=19

quote:

Social media attack tells 'Brylcreemed sh******e' Labour leader he and deputy Angela Rayner 'should be worried'

clearly they got too many complaints, possibly someone died of shock, who knows

XMNN fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 14, 2021

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

happyhippy posted:

Aren't all the presenter jokes written by Merton/Hislop anyway?

Merton and Hislop don't even write their own jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I think limmy might be one of the few successful comedians I genuinely respect. Working class former alkie getting a big break with the BBC is impressive enough, but the fact that he got a few series out then got the gently caress out of dodge with his winnings and dignity intact and now makes what seems to be a very comfortable living playing videogames on the internet hundreds of miles away from the London media circuit is genuinely very cool.

He did a really good interview with Richard Herring that was recorded right before covid kicked off proper but aired after lockdown started where Herring was making GBS threads on the idea of streaming games and what a waste it was of Limmy's talent that he wasn't doing any more live shows or TV series (in a "things that actually matter" kind of way) that was bumpered with a post-lockdown fairly contrite Herring asking people to subscribe to his own new Twitch stream.