Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
played my first quest of cursed city and it was very fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Big Willy Style posted:

Mind giving a short recap. Curious about how it plays.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Big Willy Style posted:

As requested by the previous poster can you summarize the game, you know since you own one of nine known copies..

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

There are playthroughs online, it’s basically Blackstone Fortress with more of the clunky bits taken out.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I bought cursed city just to scalp it. Looks cool thou

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Big Willy Style posted:

The review I watched said it was miserably boring and easy and repetitive so I'm very happy to hear something good about it.

Course at this point I'm not sure I'll ever be able to buy it so :shrug:

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

That's the hard part isn't it. I can never tell if these releases are legitimately good or whoever is reviewing it has no decent frame of reference.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

As someone who owns (and plays!) Silver Tower (ST) and Blackstone Fortress (BSF), and played their first Cursed City (CC) games this weekend. I can say that CC is a weird mix of the two.

CC is less narrative than Silver Tower, which was more of a Fighting Fantasy book in board game form, which sort of hindered replayability. But they did include some aspect of this into CC, as there are random events called "Crises" which are the similar "turn to page 23 and read section 42" which is nice! Combat is basically BSF without range counting. Enemy movement is similar to both, but it's more of condensed form of the BSF version. Hero advancement is the amalgam of the two systems, you have gear and inspiration like in BSF (so certain conditions make your hero card flip and you get better abilities and stats) but you also have hero levels and gain new abilities/traits based on your hero's keywords as you level up just like in ST. Activation dice, Destiny dice, etc are same as in BSF or ST, with the initiative system taken straight from BSF.

Now CC has basically 4 game modes/types or journeys as the game calls them:
Hunt - This is a kill X amount of monsters and evacuate on a pre built layout (randomized from a pool of 8)
Scavenge - This is a search X amount of objects and evacuate on a pre built layout (randomized from a pool of 8)
Deliverance - This is more like the adventures of ST. You build a deck with random cards of rooms, and you have to go and explore through them and save X amount of civilians to win, while a "Suffocating gravetide" is on your heels eating up the boards behind you.
Decapitation - These are boss missions, technically the Strongholds from BSF. You have to be a certain level for each to attempt, and you cant grow above certain levels without completing them.

The game also has a "Fear" and "Influence" mechanic. These are numbers that change based on what missions you do, if any of them hits 10, you lose. As I understand these are only there to make sure you don't waste too much time gearing up before attempting bosses.

TL;DR Now about boring, easy and repetitive... it all depends how much you like dungeon crawls like this. Wasn't boring so far, but if you didn't like BSF you wont like this. Repetitive? Not as much as the Dark Souls boardgame!

If you find it easy... can be fixed easily with simple house rules. They did rework the damage system slightly, so it doesn't go from "NOONE CAN HURT ME" to "WE ARE hosed" in 2 good enemy rolls because everyone is out of dice as in the previous games.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Cursed city is unforgivably bad because fear/influence is measured 1-10, has individual tokens for each value for both, and expects you to go digging for the right tokens each time it changes. What the gently caress dudes spinny card value wheels are not lostech.

I don't think you're missing much if you skip CC, you're missing out on a lot less than if you've skipped Gloomhaven for instance.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I saw people talking about Underworlds and particularly Mollogs Mob earlier in the thread, specifically it being sought after but difficult to acquire.

My local toystore has 3 boxes, eBay UK has no listings to reference, but if anyone is desperate for a box I can buy one for retail + shipping

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I think that part of the issue with Cursed City is that a lot of people were complaining about damaged parts. The way the box was laid out and the lack of the usual bubble wrapping meant that it doesn't seem to have shipped well.

Mine wasn't broken thankfulky, but they inexplicably gave me a bunch of 32mm bases, but didn't provide the 25mms or the 40mms.

Customer support has been oddly worthless, as they are refusing to send me the replacement bases, instead telling me that the LGS I bought it from needs to provide me with the replacement bases. (Which they, of course, don't have and could only provide what they had in their spare base box)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

jadebullet posted:

I think that part of the issue with Cursed City is that a lot of people were complaining about damaged parts. The way the box was laid out and the lack of the usual bubble wrapping meant that it doesn't seem to have shipped well.

Mine wasn't broken thankfulky, but they inexplicably gave me a bunch of 32mm bases, but didn't provide the 25mms or the 40mms.

Customer support has been oddly worthless, as they are refusing to send me the replacement bases, instead telling me that the LGS I bought it from needs to provide me with the replacement bases. (Which they, of course, don't have and could only provide what they had in their spare base box)

My favorite issue is the reports of people getting the German or Italian version despite being in neither of those countries.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

jadebullet posted:

I wonder if their famous customer support started to be the problem. Before, if anything was broken on a sprue, you wrote to them and they replaced the whole sprue of course. So people started to complain for small poo poo they could easily fix with glue anyway, just to get extras.
I saw multiple posts that in the case of Cursed City they just tell you to speak to your LGS.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I wonder if their famous customer support started to be the problem. Before, if anything was broken on a sprue, you wrote to them and they replaced the whole sprue of course. So people started to complain for small poo poo they could easily fix with glue anyway, just to get extras.
I saw multiple posts that in the case of Cursed City they just tell you to speak to your LGS.

Don't fall for that propaganda. The cost of a plastic sprue is near zero, the cost is almost all tooling and labor. If GW is actually sending people to local retailers, it's because they figured out they could screw the customer and the LGS (just like Asmodee did).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Or they've fecked up so bad they can't even send out some simple bases

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Just picked up roughly 3000pts of Epic Armageddon Orks from Vanguard now that their store is open again. Feeling the urge to build them a Gargant.

I continue to slowly pick my way through converting and painting my Vostroyans as well.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Did they do it all through third parties without ever getting their hands on it?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Crackbone posted:

Don't fall for that propaganda. The cost of a plastic sprue is near zero, the cost is almost all tooling and labor. If GW is actually sending people to local retailers, it's because they figured out they could screw the customer and the LGS (just like Asmodee did).

Or, and please stay with me here, they aren't obliged to directly make good an item bought from a third party retailer and people abusing the system finally hosed it for everyone. Or maybe it's because the current global situation has hosed them so hard they've had to order a halt to new releases for two weeks to try and get things back in order and aren't in a position to go above and beyond at the moment.

But you could be right. They could also be Satanists. They are probably Satanists.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

they aren't obliged to directly make good an item bought from a third party retailer
Jesus Christ

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Or, and please stay with me here, they aren't obliged to directly make good an item bought from a third party retailer and people abusing the system finally hosed it for everyone. Or maybe it's because the current global situation has hosed them so hard they've had to order a halt to new releases for two weeks to try and get things back in order and aren't in a position to go above and beyond at the moment.

But you could be right. They could also be Satanists. They are probably Satanists.

For gently caress sake

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Stalinists for sure.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Hes not wrong?????

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

smug jeebus posted:

Jesus Christ

Quite literally they aren't. If you buy a defective product your first recourse is the retailer you purchased it from. They are telling people to do the same thing you would do if you bought shoes with a dodgy sole or a monitor with a dead pixel.

It's not good, but it's not whatever fuckwitted conspiracy of evil Crackbone was talking about.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Quite literally they aren't. If you buy a defective product your first recourse is the retailer you purchased it from. They are telling people to do the same thing you would do if you bought shoes with a dodgy sole or a monitor with a dead pixel.

It's not good, but it's not whatever fuckwitted conspiracy of evil Crackbone was talking about.

I can think of at least a few major differences between your examples and a specialty product that was almost entirely available through preorders which sold out in under a half hour but by all means do go on :allears:

what a loving stupid stance lmao

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

The review I watched said it was miserably boring and easy and repetitive so I'm very happy to hear something good about it.

Course at this point I'm not sure I'll ever be able to buy it so :shrug:

we only fumbled our way through the one mission. I was also playing with three friends (in Australia so haven't been ravaged by covid like North America and Europe) which probably makes it more fun than running solo which the vids I've seen online do. note that I had only played the original warhammer quest back when I was 13 or something and remember nothing as a reference. otherwise my dungeon crawling gaming experience comes entirely from heroquest. also I am a very casual gamer these days, only playing warcry once a month if that.

At first the book keeping/counter tracking felt a bit heavy but once you wrap your head around it it flows pretty well.

turns play out by rolling destiny dice to determine a pool of bonus activations your characters get and if any crises take place. you roll your activation dice for each character which determines what actions you can use on your character card. you get 4 dice minus any wound/grievous wounds you have sustained. draw encounter cards to determine which 4 hostile groups of baddies start off and draw cards representing the characters and hostile groups order of activation. You can use inspiration points or activation dice to swap the order of cards through the gambit mechanic. you have a quest tracker to follow which works differently for every mission type I believe. there's also the day/night tracker. if night falls the bad guts become more powerful and the night tracker carries on into subsequent games. wounds also carry over into subsequent missions

you then play out the turn in the order of the activation cards, activating the heroes/hostile groups in order. You spend your activation rolls to do your actions and you can spend the destiny dice to do extra activations. bad guys roll on a table and you do what it says on their cards. for hunt you have to kill 10 champions to be able to finish the quest and escape in your dwarf airship.

all the bad guys seemed suitably dangerous or annoying enough that it can be a tough decision to ignore something like rats or bats. the encounter cards get harder as your characters level up, at level 0 only one enemy character might pop up in an encounter group. at level 1 it might be the character and 3 skeletons. theres also synergy for the character hostile groups as well, like gorslav being able to raise zombies that come along with him.

we got into trouble pretty early in the game with 3 characters only 3 damage points from death. also remember that as you get wounded you have fewer activation dice to use.

playing solo would give you a clear run to make super analytical decisions that would probably make the game easier. we were trying to play to the the theme of the characters with the paladin always going off to help citizens during crises or the dwarf going off and searching for treasure when his friends are getting swamped by rats and skeletons (which turned out OK because we got some blood potion that totally healed the witch hunter. also found meth...)

One disappointing thing was a first edition aos mechanic that cropped up during one of the crises - you had to stack 6 dice in top of each other in 15 seconds to succeed (I forget what this was actually meant to represent) . I haven't thoroughly checked but hopefully there aren't too many of these. it's just not inclusive for anyone that might not have fine motor skills or whatever.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 19, 2021

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Big Willy Style posted:

... if night falls the bad guts become more powerful and the night tracker carries on into subsequent games. wounds also carry over into subsequent missions...

... One disappointing thing was a first edition aos mechanic that cropped up during one of the crises - you had to stack 6 dice in top of each other in 15 seconds to succeed (I forget what this was actually meant to represent) . I haven't thoroughly checked but hopefully there aren't too many of these. it's just not inclusive for anyone that might not have fine motor skills or whatever.

The night tracker and wounds only carry forward in the two part boss fights, every other time they reset. There is one possible end of mission where nightfall carries into the next normal mission, but you wound have had to lose the current mission, leave in night, and roll a 1 on the end of mission event.

As to the second bit, lmao GW.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Return your defective game to the retailer so they can happily exchange it for another off the overabundant shelf.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

In this case it sounds like they don't have any spares to give out, so they're pushing customers to either:

a) get the refund from the retailer, who in turn would get a refund from GW to their trade account, or
b) shut the gently caress up and go away

Which is poo poo, but there aren't many other options when replacements don't physically exist. I'd be curious to know if anyone who bought direct from GW had any issues, and what they were offered.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Going back to the retailer has been standard for gw for a while, it's not new to cursed city.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey guys.

I understand that factual statements about Games Workshop's legal obligations and the ordinary customs of retail business are easy to read as "bootlicking for GW" but that doesn't make them incorrect.

Yes, it would be much much better customer service if GW backed up its products with a like-for-like exchange guarantee; but either they can't or won't, at least in this case, and it is absolutely correct to state that they have no more actual legal obligation than to provide a pathway for a refund, as with any retail purchase.

Feel free to report posts for being "bootlicking" but I'm not going to actually punish someone for being correct in a way that you find disappointing to accept.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Feel free to report posts for being "bootlicking" but I'm not going to actually punish someone for being correct in a way that you find disappointing to accept.

Wait, this is something people are actually doing?? :D

In other news, I've finally got most of my AT stuff! Once the snowy trees and silver spray arrives, I'll start preparing it all. Should be good!
(My total list of mechs will be two Reavers, two Warhounds and six Knights. Just so I've got a little flexibility in what I bring to support the knights)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Big Willy Style posted:

One disappointing thing was a first edition aos mechanic that cropped up during one of the crises - you had to stack 6 dice in top of each other in 15 seconds to succeed (I forget what this was actually meant to represent) . I haven't thoroughly checked but hopefully there aren't too many of these. it's just not inclusive for anyone that might not have fine motor skills or whatever.

I can't remember if it was two separate interviews I read or just one really good in depth one but there's basically two factors that keep making things like this crop up:
1) Apparently it's some kind of middle management feedback loop. Like, there was a directive from on high to do some more out there things like stacking dice or physical challenges just to shake mechanics up, or maybe it was that someone came up with an original mechanic and the senior leadership thought it was nifty and didn't oppose it, so middle management, as in the immediate supervisors of the developers, decided that they needed to add this stuff in at every opportunity to the point where it was silly as hell and detrimental to gameplay. That might be why there's still some lingering even though we're well past the early days of AoS.

2) One of the developers on I want to say Silver Tower actually really likes those kinds of mechanics and the guy interviewing him complimented him for thinking outside of the box when it came to unique ways to resolve a situation. I think dice stacking specifically was mentioned in the interview. So there was at least mild "community support" for this sort of thing and assuming any of the same people were involved, then of course it was going to be included.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

you are defending GW for not replacing some bases here, get some perspective

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

they will make good on the bases, but directly who they sold the product to, the retailer. they probably also have streamline communication and shipping channels with their retailers to aid this.

i had some issues with damaged underworlds sprue that I bought from a third party, I initially emailed gw and they told me to contact whoever I bought it from. I did that then I got it resolved. there was no issue at all.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Big Willy Style posted:

they will make good on the bases, but directly who they sold the product to, the retailer.

this is their minimum legal responsibility but not meeting very reasonable expectations people have

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You may be stretching the meaning of "very reasonable expectation" as the policy change with regards no questions asked replacements happened some time ago, and the policy stood out precisely because it was so atypical. But that's neither here nor there. You are correct in that it is meeting their legal responsibility, and that is what I said.

GW is not a Bond villain sitting in a lair beneath Castle Rock plotting methods to scam customers and twirling a moustache, while punting puppies into an incinerator. The current situation is far more interesting, abnormal, and potentially dire than reflexively hostile hyperbole does justice.

The second best performing company on the FTSE over the last decade just told its customers that there will be no new toys for a fortnight because everything is hosed. That's astonishing.

Depending on just where the main issue lies this could smooth out again in short order, or if instead this is down to a fundamental problem related to Brexit and trade deals that could mean bad times for the Boxed Games resurgence.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 20, 2021

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Leperflesh posted:

OK posting about posters and their posting failings is over now. Feel free to discuss games workshop and its failings if you want, but it's unnecessary to resort to digging through rap sheets etc.

I didn't dig through anything. I was there for that magically hilarious post. Like if Joe actually got a probe for it can I see the reason? Cuz that would be a probe so bad it would make the old GBS Genesplicer Anti Krusty probes seem more valid.

Anyhow some mofo said my Oldhams was stolen Valor and I will not stand for this.

(Yes that is a 2nd ed Blood Bowl Styrofoam pitch.)

Anyone else wanna doubt my Hams credentials?

But in more recent SG kinda game sphere I uhh.. got a little carried away today:

Its kinda funny that finding Beastgrave for 30 bucks on clearance a few weeks back has made me pick up so much already. Now I've got 3 different starter boxes and one stand alone warband plus the card pack. And there are like 3 or 4 other warbands I want. I might have a problem.

A shame about the giant seam lines right up in your face though. The Sigmarines actually look pretty rad otherwise. But apparently they are all low tier in gameplay with that Mollog practically being EASY MODE by the few Underworlds interested sites and podcasts I peruse. Luckily for my wallet I didn't see the new Vampires or the Steampunk Dwarfs today otherwise I would have bought at least one of the two.

I guess GW getting colored plastic and ok snap fit technology is good enough for them. I mean its stuff model kits I built in 1982-3 when I was 7 or 8 had and it was good then right? :negative:

Edit: vvvvv As if my posts alone haven't made that obvious? Its the name of my 2nd edition CSM Commander, Captain Rufus Landale of the Eternal Decay Chapter. Back in the days when GW game balance was so open and full of holes you could drive that old Space Shuttle transport thing through them. Now its merely a VW Bug. Vvvvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 20, 2021

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Verisimilidude posted:

Finished painting up this bloodbowl werewolf! Really happy with how these guys are coming out so far.

x-post from the minipainting thread. Love painting these bloodbowl minis, they're all incredibly interesting and they take washes super well.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Captain Rufus posted:

I didn't dig through anything. I was there for that magically hilarious post. Like if Joe actually got a probe for it can I see the reason? Cuz that would be a probe so bad it would make the old GBS Genesplicer Anti Krusty probes seem more valid.

Anyhow some mofo said my Oldhams was stolen Valor and I will not stand for this.

(Yes that is a 2nd ed Blood Bowl Styrofoam pitch.)

Anyone else wanna doubt my Hams credentials?

But in more recent SG kinda game sphere I uhh.. got a little carried away today:

Its kinda funny that finding Beastgrave for 30 bucks on clearance a few weeks back has made me pick up so much already. Now I've got 3 different starter boxes and one stand alone warband plus the card pack. And there are like 3 or 4 other warbands I want. I might have a problem.

A shame about the giant seam lines right up in your face though. The Sigmarines actually look pretty rad otherwise. But apparently they are all low tier in gameplay with that Mollog practically being EASY MODE by the few Underworlds interested sites and podcasts I peruse. Luckily for my wallet I didn't see the new Vampires or the Steampunk Dwarfs today otherwise I would have bought at least one of the two.

I guess GW getting colored plastic and ok snap fit technology is good enough for them. I mean its stuff model kits I built in 1982-3 when I was 7 or 8 had and it was good then right? :negative:

Citizen Rufus I do not believe you have ever held the rank of captain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Big Willy Style posted:

I have to say that this and similar challenges were in all WHQ editions I played.
Dice stacking to represent crawling over a rickety bridge, pulling an item card out from between two stacked dice without making them fall to represent traps, for me were a breath of fresh air. they made the game more fun with a group.
Instead of a "roll 4+ to cross the bridge or to avoid trap" thing.

Silver Tower had riddles, and that was fuckin amazing. I want some silly poo poo in my dungeon crawl.