Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Did the gammons get worked up over this picture? If so, I assume it's like when the video of AOC dancing came out and the right were desperately trying to sublimate their horniness through incoherent rage and paranoid fantasy. Which I guess is always the case, but moreso

E: in '92 I became horny for the first time, haven't had a moment's peace since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Did the gammons get worked up over this picture? If so, I assume it's like when the video of AOC dancing came out and the right were desperately trying to sublimate their horniness through incoherent rage. Which I guess is always the case, but moreso

E: in '92 I became horny for the first time, haven't had a moment's peace since

It was apparently celebrating that terrorist knife spree killing that happened in Reading about an hour after the photo was published. Really incoherent rage-horniness would have been the more dignified option

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In the mafia man movie they use an orang to depict murder, Muslim woman eat the orag to do terror stab :bahgawd:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

multijoe posted:

It was apparently celebrating that terrorist knife spree killing that happened in Reading about an hour after the photo was published. Really incoherent rage-horniness would have been the more dignified option

Lol ah yeah that's right.

All ice cream cones at half mast for 10 days of Big Phil mourning

Guavanaut posted:

they use an orang to depict murder,

Pratchett also does this, though the ape-murder mostly happens offscreen

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Who is the attractive lady eating a lollipop?

I discovered recently that all the 2000AD Judge Dredd stuff was on Amazon now so I got the first volume.

I can see why people like it.

DO NOT LET YOUR HOUSE ROBOT READ THIS STORY.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Beefeater1980 posted:

Ash "I'm literally a communist" Sarkar

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't believe she killed 100m people by eating an orange lolly :(

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Wish I had an orange lolly, can't find those in the stores here anymore since I dunno, the 90s... :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beefeater1980 posted:

I discovered recently that all the 2000AD Judge Dredd stuff was on Amazon now so I got the first volume.

The first volume doesn't even scratch the surface of why Dredd is great. If you pick up another Case Files book, make it CF5. It's got a bunch of standalone stories from one of the "jumping on" issues followed by one of the greatest epic stories, and it has the most solid run of artists of the black and white era. The only drawback is that you get Judge Death Lives without having read the original story, which is in CF3.

Then read Judge Dredd: America because the original story is the absolute pinnacle of the world. It was sold for £3 as the first volume of a partwork a few years ago, so it should be easy to find.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

When I was a lad we had orange squash + ice lolly moulds and liked it :cloud:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Borrovan posted:

When I was a lad we had orange squash + ice lolly moulds and liked it :cloud:

We still have those, but they're not the same

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to look for orange lollies at lunchtime now :yum:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I'd move to London if they bring back Ceefax TBH

My parents thought I was ringing premium sex lines but I was actually ringing up for football transfer gossip that I had seen on teletext.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have to say, I prefer Count Binface's 21 pledges to Keith's 10 pledges:

https://www.countbinface.com/london-2021-manifesto

I’d totally vote for him.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I think if the troc arcade is specifically a remake of Sega World then I finally know who I'm voting for.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Like I say it's not impossible that at some point in the gaslit past a daytime recce of a house for nickable items would be followed up by a nighttime visit to nick them, and they wanted to mark where they saw the lady with the expensive brooch in those days before house numbers. *Maybe* I'll grant they still do a daytime shufti - after all it's easier to pick out which houses have poo poo doors in daylight - but all you need to do is whip out your phone and get the exact location saved for you, rather than carrying around an invertible spray can or whatever.

I guess the counterargument is that phone is now pretty solid evidence if the plod catch you, though.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have to say, I prefer Count Binface's 21 pledges to Keith's 10 pledges:

https://www.countbinface.com/london-2021-manifesto

Who remembers when the american guy who "invented" Lord Buckethead tried to license the copyright to some libs.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.ft.com/content/9a825fe8-8ea5-4ef3-84b7-2529bfe5ffed

The FT has a long article on the private equity firm taking over a massive proportion of the UK's vet practices. It's interesting in and of itself, but it's also telling about what happens the moment serious capitalism gets its claws into unregulated healthcare.

quote:

One vet in southern England says the price of Metacam, a widely dispensed anti-inflammatory painkiller, rose at their practice by 28 per cent to £82.79 for a 100ml bottle after IVC took over. The price of ProZinc, an insulin for diabetic cats, rose 39 per cent to £99.34, the vet says, and Fortekor, a heart medication, rose more than 78 per cent to £76.85.

Seems instructive given the latest trend for US healthcare companies taking over GP practices en masse.

Also an amazing example of how these people co-opt the language of equality as a PR shield

quote:

The company believes its greater scale can bring better management to the booming vetcare sector and introduce new technology and training that will help with both administration and animal care. Its supporters say that in an industry traditionally dominated by men, it offers a career path more suited to younger women juggling families with careers.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
da pinchi code

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
bucketheids and giant elmos are all we have, now

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
even the MRLP is full of melts these days, probably

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

peanut- posted:

https://www.ft.com/content/9a825fe8-8ea5-4ef3-84b7-2529bfe5ffed

The FT has a long article on the private equity firm taking over a massive proportion of the UK's vet practices. It's interesting in and of itself, but it's also telling about what happens the moment serious capitalism gets its claws into unregulated healthcare.

Seems instructive given the latest trend for US healthcare companies taking over GP practices en masse.

Also an amazing example of how these people co-opt the language of equality as a PR shield

Anecdotal and not sure if it applies to all IVC practices, but I work as a vet nurse at an IVC hospital and while we are definitely way more expensive than anywhere else I've worked we also get much better pay and benefits (and higher practice standards) in comparison to other referral hospitals I've worked at.

Independent practices are definitely being swallowed up by corporates though, my previous practice was bought by VetPartners who went from only a couple of practices to announcing practice acquisitions almost weekly, comes with a whole host of problems by having to use preferred suppliers and preferred referral centres and no longer being able to dictate prices for consumables

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Who remembers when the american guy who "invented" Lord Buckethead tried to license the copyright to some libs.
"Someone plagiarised the character that I plagiarised so I must take money to let someone plagiarise his plagiarism of my plagiarism :reddit:"

It's actually pretty interesting from an IP law point of view imo (I have not studied IP law): sure the guy "invented" the character, but (a)it's a parody, & (b)2017 Buckethead is such a new use of it that it's basically an original creation at that point anyway.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Bahahahahahahahahaha.

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1385173139039178753

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Look at the shape of they heads... absolutely hosed mate

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

They deleted it already. RELAIM PARTY.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mebh posted:

Yeah but that's the maddening thing. They'll never just randomly lose it. Not in any way that they fear. Obviously nasty poo poo happens but illness and natural disasters are not exactly what they're posting on Facebook about.

It's just so mind numbingly sad and petty.

Here's the way I see it. Everyone has a certain preferred level of risk - not just maximum, but baseline. We all know about people who just aren't happy unless their lives are in danger. Well, these people are living an almost completely risk free life, and it's killing them inside. They're too spineless to do something worthwhile and too sensible to do something stupid, so they grasp at anything that might tell them they're in danger. Every weird mark is a threat from the Romanian mafia, every teenager not currently in motion is casing the house, every teenager that is moving must be fleeing the scene.

I think that's why middle class parents fixate on their children's lives too, your kid could get a bad grade and oh my god that will RUIN THEIR LIFE FOREVER

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Vote Laurence Fo

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Britain is already lame enough, i cant imagine how it could possibly be any lamer.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sooo, I used to be with HSBC for renters' insurance since that's my bank but afaict they don't do it any more.

Finding renters' insurance, how do?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It annoys me that the images of the two heads are from different resolution photos and are graded differently (probably not at all). With amateur hour graphic making like that it's no wonder an insanely dumb spelling mistake crept through.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Sooo, I used to be with HSBC for renters' insurance since that's my bank but afaict they don't do it any more.

Finding renters' insurance, how do?

Do you mean contents insurance? I just go on Quidco and see who has a decent cash back offer on.

I used MoreThan this year and it was fine and they paid out £35 cashback on an £80 policy.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

peanut- posted:

Do you mean contents insurance? I just go on Quidco and see who has a decent cash back offer on.

I used MoreThan this year and it was fine and they paid out £35 cashback on an £80 policy.

Or confused, they do a “rewards”, I got a £20 Halfords voucher (last year I got free breakdown cover for a year)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord of the Llamas posted:

They deleted it already. RELAIM PARTY.
Am Lorrence Focks, vote for Relame.

Dabir posted:

Here's the way I see it. Everyone has a certain preferred level of risk - not just maximum, but baseline. We all know about people who just aren't happy unless their lives are in danger. Well, these people are living an almost completely risk free life, and it's killing them inside. They're too spineless to do something worthwhile and too sensible to do something stupid, so they grasp at anything that might tell them they're in danger. Every weird mark is a threat from the Romanian mafia, every teenager not currently in motion is casing the house, every teenager that is moving must be fleeing the scene.

I think that's why middle class parents fixate on their children's lives too, your kid could get a bad grade and oh my god that will RUIN THEIR LIFE FOREVER
Their server seems to be having some issues at the moment, but Fred Clark's piece on moral panics sums up a lot of the attitude well for me, especially in the sense of what bugman said about

Josef bugman posted:

It's fear of losing it. Its the fear that maybe you don't deserve all these nice things or maybe it's all just random and it could all go away. So you settle in and try to make everyones life worse.
in terms of

Fred Clark posted:

The clearest illustration of this was an outbreak of Satanic Panic a generation after the Salem witch trials, one which lasted longer and was far deadlier and more gruesome in its toll: the New York Conspiracy Panic of 1741. The purported cause of this panic was a massive Jesuit conspiracy to lead New York City’s 2,000 enslaved persons in a revolt. There was never any evidence that such a conspiracy or revolt was really being planned, but mass hysteria seized white New Yorkers nonetheless because they all knew, with utter clarity and certainty, that a lethal slave revolt was what they deserved — what they had earned and what justice itself demanded if the most evident wrongs in their city were to be righted.

Moral panics are not sparked by sincere, well-meaning convictions of those who wish to see wrongs righted and justice done. They are sparked by the sincere, inescapable conviction that, in the words of the prophet Amos, the day of justice would be, for them, darkness and not light. The recognition that justice would not mean well for us.

It's not full blown moral panic yet, but it's well into the waters of empathy turned to fear and resentment that leads to it. That they recognize that life sucks for a lot of people, and that, in some way, they may have benefited from the material conditions that created that, but rather than try to rectify it in any way, they fear that actual justice would mean other people coming for the security that they've gained. That actual justice would mean that they can't just sit in suburbia while others suffer, so they'd best be watching out for any sign of actual justice on the horizon.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Beefeater1980 posted:

DO NOT LET YOUR HOUSE ROBOT READ THIS STORY.

https://twitter.com/ayocaesar?s=21

She’s a good follow on Twitter and I’m a Patreon of her news network.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

peanut- posted:

Are they exactly the same thing then? Cos HSBC still do that but it's sitting alongside house insurance and house & contents insurance in a homeowner-ey looking bit of the site.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Anyone who chooses to live in the suburbs, rather than in the inner city where all the fun stuff happens is going to be pretty risk-averse by default.

I wonder how much of a factor white flight is in urban geography these days compared to a more generalised fear of poverty and disorder?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Are they exactly the same thing then? Cos HSBC still do that but it's sitting alongside house insurance and house & contents insurance in a homeowner-ey looking bit of the site.

Well I've never heard the term renters insurance, I don't know if that's something specific that covers more like paying your rent if you lose your job or something.

But if you just want insurance that replaces your stuff if you get burgled or your home burns down, then that's what contents insurance is yes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Anyone who chooses to live in the suburbs, rather than in the inner city where all the fun stuff happens is going to be pretty risk-averse by default.

Not necessarily. I'm sure this thread of all places can understand the concept of people being pushed into situations where they're not actually happy by cultural pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Guavanaut posted:

Their server seems to be having some issues at the moment, but Fred Clark's piece on moral panics

That is really interesting, thank you!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I mean it could also in part be because the inner city of most places is so expensive at the moment.

There is also something that I think is weird in that when people see that people from TV or what have you are just people there is an instinctive lack of awe for them. The fewer people that see the monarch or know how things work the better from the point of view of hierarchy because then the less people there are to point out how stupid it appears to be.