Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
just enjoying my ice cream cone, which i am holding between my forefinger and middle finger, as you do

ed: the dreaded criminal Red Throat, deep in conversation with Kieth

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Either that or Eastern Europeans really are going around doing crimes dressed like this just so that pub racists can better identify them

I’m now looking for suggestions for the English in national dress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

white polo shirt, number 1 all over, fat and pink in equal measure, yelling about immigrants while repeatedly pointing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Angepain posted:

as a 10-year-old who had totally bought into the THE MILLENIUM hype and saw the adverts i badgered my dad into taking me down to london to see the dome. looking back it was kinda crap from what i remember and probably not worth forcing my dad to take me 400 miles down the country but i definitely had bad enough taste to enjoy it at the time

It's literally one tube stop from me and I could have got free admittance and I still couldn't be arsed. The only interesting thing about it was the JCB-and-speedboat attempt to nick a diamond from it and even then they put a stop to it as being far too much fun.

(Also how the gently caress has that not been made into a film? A bunch of cockney blaggers try to pull off the biggest robbery in history in their own back yard. is already a great story, but the details are like Guy Richie meets 4 Lions. Earlier in the year they tried to pull off a multimillion cash van robbery being foiled because they lost the keys to the lorry they were going to use as a ram - that lorry being full of Christmas trees as cover for the ram despite it being February, the Flying Squad working out most of the details of the plan because they had to redo the recce three times because they kept forgetting to put a tape in the camcorder, that recce literally being three convicted armed robbers videoing the diamonds, the emergency exits, and then the exact route from the exit to the river... it kinda goes on and on like that)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Hello, you simple Northern Folk! We're Cockneys! Yes. East End, born and bred. We love our old mums!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Real Cool Catfish posted:

To most of the rest of the world:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So, there IS a point to Sir PlankOfWood after all!

As someone on Facebook commented: is this the new 'power point' instead of the 'power stance'.
I wonder if both could be combined?

Wouldn't that add up to a Megatron pose?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

happyhippy posted:

Hello, you simple Northern Folk! We're Cockneys! Yes. East End, born and bred. We love our old mums!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfa-xCStsZE

The Kray Twins, true gents in front of women. Awright geezers. "Never swore in front of women."

I had a temping job one time and the other secretary in the office - a girl about 21 years old - said "oh the guys in the workshop are very polite, never swear in front of a woman" and I'm like "What the fk - women aren't some precious fkin doll."

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
wotcha maaf sahnshoine, loidies pressint :manning:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dabir posted:

Wouldn't that add up to a Megatron pose?

Someone graft Kieth's face on to it.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
So I got a booklet through the post today with all the candidates for the Mayor of London & Assembly elections, no Count Binface to be seen so I'm not sure who I'm going to vote for now.

Presumably I'd vote for the person who wants the least extra police put on patrol but that's seemingly none of them.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So, there IS a point to Sir PlankOfWood after all!

As someone on Facebook commented: is this the new 'power point' instead of the 'power stance'.
I wonder if both could be combined?

A full day of pointing at seagulls and saying 'privatised'

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

e: nm, it's a bit too personal

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 24, 2021

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

BalloonFish posted:

I am also white and have an unfortunately very posh English accent and I get this fairly regularly too.

I remember an anniversary meal being rather sullied - we went out to a locally renowned traditional ex-coaching inn. It February, there was snow on the ground, a big log fire in every grate. Like having dinner in a Quality Street tin picture. Meal over, we asked if we could have tea and dessert in the snug room that was also the waiting/reception area for the restaurant. While we were enjoying our drinks, a couple in their 50s or 60s came in and sat down while their table was made ready.

I have never experienced a conversation going from zero to fascist in so little time. This is, as close as I can remember it, verbaitm:

:v: :j: : This is nice isn't it?

:) : Yes it is. We're lucky to have it just down the road.

:v: :j: : Yes you are. We're from Kent and we get away as much as possible because where we live is full of foreigners and [GRT-related slur]

:yikes:

Then they proceeded to talk at us about how there were too many (foreign) lorries on all the roads, and how they had voted for Brexit specifically so the lorries wouldn't come down their road anymore (possibly making them one of the few Leave voters to get exactly what they wanted...), how Kent was - to judge by their description - just a dense sea of traveller's sites, immigration centres, homeless camps and B&Bs full of quote-unquote 'asylums' and undergoing some sort of violent crime wave that would make inner-urban Detroit in the 1980s seem like Henley-on-Thames.

It's so frustrating that it's generally seen as acceptable to have a good moan about tabloid target demographics without so much as a by or leave to strangers you encounter in public, but if I was to disagree with them in equally forceful tones and language I'd be the rear end in a top hat for being 'argumentative'. As it was I just stuck to occasionally saying "I really don't think that's true" or "it's not their fault - it's [government policy]" until they either ran out of reactionary talking points or realised that we weren't up for a back-slapping bigotry session.

1) I have an inkling (not the those ones) that there's lots of posh accents in here

2) lol that Kent is too multicultural for them. loving Kent. Where the gently caress do these people think they're going to get away from all the poor foreigns and criminals? Is this why every posho is buying houses in Cornwall like its some off-brand New-Zealand escape plan?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Only to have Cornish nationalists turn round and call them immigrants ruining Cornwall

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

1) I have an inkling (not the those ones) that there's lots of posh accents in here

There's plain 'well spoken' southern English, there's RP and there's my 1950s-Pathe-Newsreel-voiceover which is, frankly, ridiculous and I have no idea how I got it. It's particularly odd because when I was very young I had an almost incomprehensibly broad Wessex/Hampshire drawl, which now only makes an appearance when I'm sufficiently drunk.

Regarde Aduck posted:

2) lol that Kent is too multicultural for them. loving Kent. Where the gently caress do these people think they're going to get away from all the poor foreigns and criminals? Is this why every posho is buying houses in Cornwall like its some off-brand New-Zealand escape plan?

TBF they had come to exactly the right place - deep rural bits of Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire on the edge of the Fens. If you want to go somewhere where you can be 99% sure of never seeing a non-white person, be 60% sure of never seeing anyone under the age of 45 and where your neighbours will all either be Conservative or BXP/Reform voters who will just validate and accentuate all your existing views on everything then you would struggle to find a better solution.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The ward of Eden in Cumbria was top of the whitey pops at the last census.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

removed quote of your post as you have

The whole concept of 'awrah' (what you are required to cover up) differs so much across the different islamic interpretations. I remember when it was explained to me. In some cases even the woman's voice is considered 'awrah'. When I lived in Cairo, there were suggestions that muslim women should not undress (in sports changing rooms) in front of non-muslim women because 'the non-muslim women might tell other people especially men what the muslim women looked like without clothes on'. Bizarre.

The only time I've commented on what another woman looked like in a changing room is when this incredibly beautifully proportioned woman stripped off in a communal changing room in Croydon displaying perfect skin, perfect figure, and also her 'brazilian' which she made darn sure everyone could see in all its glory.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 24, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(Also how the gently caress has that not been made into a film? A bunch of cockney blaggers try to pull off the biggest robbery in history in their own back yard. is already a great story, but the details are like Guy Richie meets 4 Lions. Earlier in the year they tried to pull off a multimillion cash van robbery being foiled because they lost the keys to the lorry they were going to use as a ram - that lorry being full of Christmas trees as cover for the ram despite it being February, the Flying Squad working out most of the details of the plan because they had to redo the recce three times because they kept forgetting to put a tape in the camcorder, that recce literally being three convicted armed robbers videoing the diamonds, the emergency exits, and then the exact route from the exit to the river... it kinda goes on and on like that)

That reminds me of a story I was told by a friend.

He was defending one of a gang of four men who had tried to rob a hardware store. Which made sense since they knew that the hardware place was one of the busiest in Dublin and a bunch of the patrons (at the time) would pay in cash.

So these guys went and bought balaclavas before the robbery from a military surplus store....that was across the road from their target.

And then they decided to go into the pub next door before the theft and drink to get some dutch courage. With a brown paper bag with balaclavas and a crowbar.
Only they lost track of time, and by the time they stumbled out of the place, the hardware store had closed for the night.
So they decided to go to the Spar on the other side of the street. Except it only had like €25 in the registrar. It cost them more to buy the balaclavas than they made from their theft.

Since the CCTV recorded them going to all the above places, they were all advised to plead guilty at the earliest opportunity.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe that's why Julie Burchill hates Muslims, they want to stop her talking about all the very real things she saw in women's changing rooms.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

That reminds me of a story I was told by a friend.

He was defending one of a gang of four men who had tried to rob a hardware store. Which made sense since they knew that the hardware place was one of the busiest in Dublin and a bunch of the patrons (at the time) would pay in cash.

So these guys went and bought balaclavas before the robbery from a military surplus store....that was across the road from their target.

And then they decided to go into the pub next door before the theft and drink to get some dutch courage. With a brown paper bag with balaclavas and a crowbar.
Only they lost track of time, and by the time they stumbled out of the place, the hardware store had closed for the night.
So they decided to go to the Spar on the other side of the street. Except it only had like €25 in the registrar. It cost them more to buy the balaclavas than they made from their theft.

Since the CCTV recorded them going to all the above places, they were all advised to plead guilty at the earliest opportunity.

Hah. I love a good criminal farce story, and I've always wondered why it was never much of a genre outside of Ealing and Guy Ritchie.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hah. I love a good criminal farce story, and I've always wondered why it was never much of a genre outside of Ealing and Guy Ritchie.

Coen Brothers count too, surely?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

removed quote of your post as you have

The whole concept of 'awrah' (what you are required to cover up) differs so much across the different islamic interpretations. I remember when it was explained to me. In some cases even the woman's voice is considered 'awrah'. When I lived in Cairo, there were suggestions that muslim women should not undress (in sports changing rooms) in front of non-muslim women because 'the non-muslim women might tell other people especially men what the muslim women looked like without clothes on'. Bizarre.

The only time I've commented on what another woman looked like in a changing room is when this incredibly beautifully proportioned woman stripped off in a communal changing room in Croydon displaying perfect skin, perfect figure, and also her 'brazilian' which she made darn sure everyone could see in all its glory.

One interesting thing about that is that Iran and Iranians is fairly relaxed about modesty standards, despite generally being perceived as much more hardline.

That also goes for things like relationships and whatnot (not even mentioning the whole shiite temporary marriage thing).

That does come at the expense of a risk of arbitrary arrest and torture, but still.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 24, 2021

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

BalloonFish posted:

TBF they had come to exactly the right place - deep rural bits of Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire on the edge of the Fens. If you want to go somewhere where you can be 99% sure of never seeing a non-white person, be 60% sure of never seeing anyone under the age of 45 and where your neighbours will all either be Conservative or BXP/Reform voters who will just validate and accentuate all your existing views on everything then you would struggle to find a better solution.

And in the pubs, all the locals have the same face. Good strong honest white folk in whose veins runs pure english blood for as long as they avoid papercuts.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

SpicePro posted:

So I got a booklet through the post today with all the candidates for the Mayor of London & Assembly elections, no Count Binface to be seen so I'm not sure who I'm going to vote for now.

Presumably I'd vote for the person who wants the least extra police put on patrol but that's seemingly none of them.

Good news - Binface is still a candidate, but apparently he didn't submit a mini-manifesto for the booklet

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/grannamhaoul/status/1385913483917676547?s=21

Kind of impressive how the mass defection of lefties from the Greens to Corbyn's Labour eventually led to both parties being run by melts.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

BalloonFish posted:

I am also white and have an unfortunately very posh English accent and I get this fairly regularly too.

I remember an anniversary meal being rather sullied - we went out to a locally renowned traditional ex-coaching inn. It February, there was snow on the ground, a big log fire in every grate. Like having dinner in a Quality Street tin picture. Meal over, we asked if we could have tea and dessert in the snug room that was also the waiting/reception area for the restaurant. While we were enjoying our drinks, a couple in their 50s or 60s came in and sat down while their table was made ready.

I have never experienced a conversation going from zero to fascist in so little time. This is, as close as I can remember it, verbaitm:

:v: :j: : This is nice isn't it?

:) : Yes it is. We're lucky to have it just down the road.

:v: :j: : Yes you are. We're from Kent and we get away as much as possible because where we live is full of foreigners and [GRT-related slur]

:yikes:

Then they proceeded to talk at us about how there were too many (foreign) lorries on all the roads, and how they had voted for Brexit specifically so the lorries wouldn't come down their road anymore (possibly making them one of the few Leave voters to get exactly what they wanted...), how Kent was - to judge by their description - just a dense sea of traveller's sites, immigration centres, homeless camps and B&Bs full of quote-unquote 'asylums' and undergoing some sort of violent crime wave that would make inner-urban Detroit in the 1980s seem like Henley-on-Thames.

It's so frustrating that it's generally seen as acceptable to have a good moan about tabloid target demographics without so much as a by or leave to strangers you encounter in public, but if I was to disagree with them in equally forceful tones and language I'd be the rear end in a top hat for being 'argumentative'. As it was I just stuck to occasionally saying "I really don't think that's true" or "it's not their fault - it's [government policy]" until they either ran out of reactionary talking points or realised that we weren't up for a back-slapping bigotry session.

I love the mental gymnastics you it takes to say you need to get away from where you live because of all the 'asylums' that live there. Just superb.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

BalloonFish posted:

mid-Devon is also good for this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we're going to have cops can they at least just do a little machinegun strafing of these covid protest nutters?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

mid-Devon is also good for this

Large parts of my family are from the West Country and/or now live in Devon and Cornwall. From my experiences down there it's a weird mix, since everywhere outside the big cities seems to have a mix of three types of people - 1) the Boomer Gammons who have white-flighted down there so they can live in their own little world 2) Weirdy-beard hippy/surfer/stoner/creative/uncoventional types who run a communal beehive and sell honey on the beach in summer and spent the winter in a yurt on Dartmoor knitting jumpers from discarded pony hair and 3) down-trodded rural types with traditional Cornish surnames whose families have scratched a living from either fishing from a tiny boat or farming a near-vertical field with 5mm-thick topsoil who have generally been shat on by society at large and deal with by a mixture of massive substance abuse and hatred for all other people.

Of course, not everyone slots into any or one of these groups. My Dad now lives in Cornwall and his neighbour is a generally chill old dude who's always doing some sort of project like re-framing his barn, fixing a 1950s Fordson tractor or building a coracle just because he fancies it, and I've been 'sailing' with him a few times - the word is in inverted commas because his boat is some massive all-wood gaff cutter from the 1900s and his idea of 'sailing' is to cast off, put up a couple of sails (mostly patches and so baggy and they have lost virtually all their wind-catching shape) and drift only slightly faster than the tide or current would take the boat anyway, sitting with one arm wrapped around the tiller while puffing away on his pipe. He once delayed changing direction (as we headed towards a bank of the River Tavy) because he'd only just got his pipe to draw properly.

So you can imagine my surprise when I visited Dad in the summer of 2019 and this guy joined us for a barbecue. At some point conversation turned slightly current affairs/political and the name of Corbyn came up (not by me, I think it was my Dad). Suddenly his neighbour went puce in the face and bellowed at full volume "MY FATHER WAS IN THE BOMBERS OVER GERMANY IN WW2 AND I'LL BE DAMNED IF HIS MEMORY IS GOING TO BE DISHONOURED BY HAVING A NATION-HATING BASTARD LIKE CORBYN AND HIS MOB RUNNING THE COUNTRY!" It was amazing. Instant, full-bore rage.

Whoever it was who said ITT the other day that Corbyn's mere existence just totally, permanently broke a chunk of the population's minds and you can see a pre/post-Corbyn divide was absolutely right.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rampant antisemitism, unbelievable.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:hmmyes:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Much telling stuff in this article, and of course now that Corbyn is no longer a threat and the Labour left doesn't seem placed to resurge, they're much less overtly hostile to him, explicitly centering cuts as a cause of local anger and talking to a former Corbyn supporter without undermining them with some nonsense. Now that Labour's run by the most useless melts imaginable it's back to the usual talk about political matters.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
From that article ^

The Guardian posted:

Enjoying an afternoon walk on Seaton Carew beachfront, Alan Coyle, 76, said he was “inclined to give the Tories a go”, having voted for the Brexit party last time. “The Brexit thing is over and done with so I don’t think that needs revisiting. The issues that seem to matter to people in Hartlepool are whether they get the hospital A&E … and you never see a policeman about. It’s all parochial stuff.”

How the gently caress do you make the leap from being angry that your hospital's A&E has closed and the rest of your town's social infrastructure has been gutted...to deciding "to give the [party that proudly did all the gutting] a go"?

I mean, it would be one thing - perfectly reasonable in fact - to decide that New New Labour aren't going to bring back the hospital any time soon and not vote for them, but why vote for the Leopards Eating Faces Party when you're fed up of the leopards eating your face?

Is it 'neither of them is going to fix the stuff that matters in my community, so I'll put those thoughts to one side and vote for the party that's on my side in the culture war...'? Is it some misguided 'sending a message' thing?

I. Don't. Understand :psyduck:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't the whole point that the guy they parachuted in closed his local hospital?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

BalloonFish posted:

From that article ^

How the gently caress do you make the leap from being angry that your hospital's A&E has closed and the rest of your town's social infrastructure has been gutted...to deciding "to give the [party that proudly did all the gutting] a go"?

I mean, it would be one thing - perfectly reasonable in fact - to decide that New New Labour aren't going to bring back the hospital any time soon and not vote for them, but why vote for the Leopards Eating Faces Party when you're fed up of the leopards eating your face?

Is it 'neither of them is going to fix the stuff that matters in my community, so I'll put those thoughts to one side and vote for the party that's on my side in the culture war...'? Is it some misguided 'sending a message' thing?

I. Don't. Understand :psyduck:
there brains are bad and not good, due to leaded petrol and being British

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I think binary toggle syndrome is involved too. If not Labour, then Tory, and vice versa, because those are the parties that exist.

"Why did you vote Tory at the last election?"
"Because Labour were bad"

or, especially 2010-2015

"The Tories did a bad thing"
"Well your beloved Labour [insert nulab crimes here]"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The whole 'seeing a policeman about' argument is ridiculous even if you support the police.