Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I think the Excelsior, Oberth, and Kelvin are all perfectly fine.

Actually, the Kelvin is better than fine. It's the only single-nacelle design that has a counterweight to keep it from looking awkwardly imbalanced.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The rear view is :haw: .

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The Excelsior is gorgeous, and I'm always glad to see it onscreen. Scotty was just an out-of-touch luddite. :colbert:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'll admit the Excelsior doesn't have that flawless "looks amazing at any angle" quality of the Constitution refit. But neither does the Galaxy or just about anything else.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I mean, this looks really good to me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Late to classical music chat but whatevs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C52MXbkhepQ

Also yeah, Ambassador class is cool, wish we'd gotten to see a few of those tooling around DS9 or in the big Dominion War battles instead of all the Mirandas and Excelsiors.

Remember the TOS Dreadnought class? Never on screen but it was in one of those old books like Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise or Worlds of the Federation or something like that.

Anything with more than or fewer than two nacelles is heresy, always has been.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I dunno, I like the Constellation quite a lot.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

“You Can’t Do That in Sto’Vo’Kor!”

What could you not do there.
Sto'vo'kor would be like the footage hell from Event Horizon, but with more hair, and more saying Q'pla instead of Latin.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

happyhippy posted:

What could you not do there.
Sto'vo'kor would be like the footage hell from Event Horizon, but with more hair, and more saying Q'pla instead of Latin.

tbh I don't know *gets drenched in blood*

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Angry Salami posted:

The Excelsior is gorgeous, and I'm always glad to see it onscreen. Scotty was just an out-of-touch luddite. :colbert:

This. Anyone who hates on the best design in Trek is a lunatic who cannot appreciate proper art deco.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/nocontexttrek/status/1385995627163787265?s=21

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Consoles filled not just with explosives and rocks, but an actual face-height flame jet!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eimi posted:

This. Anyone who hates on the best design in Trek is a lunatic who cannot appreciate proper art deco.

The best design in Trek is the Constitution refit, sorry.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/magliojen/status/1303526246857531393

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Don't you dare apologize for such a correct opinion.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

I don’t think anyone will disagree

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Sovereign class has always held a special place in my heart.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Sovereign is the Excelsior's lovely little wannabe goth cousin who has never actually seen The Crow but still insists they are fully serious about dressing like Winona Ryder's character from Beetlejuice

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Tighclops posted:

The Sovereign is the Excelsior's lovely little wannabe goth cousin who has never actually seen The Crow but still insists they are fully serious about dressing like Winona Ryder's character from Beetlejuice

I get why people don't like the Sovereign, it's the epitome of the design trend past the Galaxy where hulls started getting more "aerodynamic", lost their necks and generally moved away from the core design aspects of the original Constitution. That said, it is my favorite design, I think it works as a clear sign of tech advancement from the Galaxy, and the saucer being a long oval rather than the egg shape some later ships use I think is a good compromise between wanting to make it "sleeker" without moving too far from basic Fed design.

But the Galaxy is also what I grew up with, it's the space classic car that took me on my first trip to sci-fi, and it's a really fantastic evolution of Fed design, so if I could leave it at tied for 1st I would.

Payndz posted:

Consoles filled not just with explosives and rocks, but an actual face-height flame jet!

This is what they get for snaking the warp juice throughout the entire hull. Sure the biggest EPS conduits are the ones going to the nacelles, but as they displayed many times in the shows, smaller EPS conduits power everything. It's funneling a constant multi-megaton detonation through every part of the ship, and the only reason it doesn't explode everything is because the conduits are super conducting. But of course if they're breached then you get a nice little leak of that explosion in your face.

There's no way to avoid running those explodium pipes from the warp core to the nacelles, they need that much juice. But any sane designer would run just regular superconductive electric cables from the core to everything else.

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 24, 2021

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Don't you dare apologize for such a correct opinion.

drat straight.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Barry Foster posted:

I dunno, I like the Constellation quite a lot.

Before or after it met the planet killer?

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
The Constellation's decent, but I think they went too hard on visually selling it as old and antiquated. It looks downright crude.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

nine-gear crow posted:

Peter Weller really needs to be in more Star Trek everything.

You called?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PeterWeller posted:

You called?

Hello there, Mr. Weller. I hope you're having a pleasant evening right now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PeterWeller posted:

You called?

Nice posting, kid. What's your name?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

:agreed: for sure, but drat there are a lot of wrong takes on the sexy art deco sleekness of the Excelsior ITT. :colbert:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Terror Sweat posted:

I don't like what they did to section 31 and how they changed it to the CIA

Wait what was it before a CIA type thing?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Binary Badger posted:

Before or after it met the planet killer?

:v:

Emrikol posted:

The Constellation's decent, but I think they went too hard on visually selling it as old and antiquated. It looks downright crude.

That's what I like about it. It's a mean little tugboat thing. It's not a showpiece ship like an Ambassador or a Galaxy or even a Nebula, it's a 9 to 5 blue collar working ship

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 25, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

That's what I like about it. It's a mean little tugboat thing. It's not a showpiece ship like an Ambassador or a Galaxy or even a Nebula, it's a 9 to 5 blue collar working ship

One of the reasons I'm sad we never saw the New Orleans (one of the background kitbashes from TNG) properly, it's got a similar functional little ship vibe but for the Galaxy era. Less gritty, though. The New Orleans is basically the Ford Focus of starships.

(And of course there's the Cheyenne Class, which is straight-up the Galaxy-era version of the Constellation Class)

At least now for '24th-century workhorse' we have the Cali class.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 25, 2021

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I believe I read the only reason Gene made up his silly laws of warp nacelle dynamics was to take the wind out of the sales of the Star Trek Technical Manual that he wasn't receiving royalties for and wanted to "de-authenticate" it so fans wouldn't buy it.

I could totally be misremembering that...

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Wee Bairns posted:

I believe I read the only reason Gene made up his silly laws of warp nacelle dynamics was to take the wind out of the sales of the Star Trek Technical Manual that he wasn't receiving royalties for and wanted to "de-authenticate" it so fans wouldn't buy it.

I could totally be misremembering that...

That does sound like Gene...

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The rule of design with Star Trek ships is beauty first, theme second, functionality last. The Oberth class is a case in point. It's actually a very pretty design and I'm fond of it, but what is that lower section of the ship supposed to be? There's nothing connecting it to the saucer above, so I assume the crew doesn't go there. Perhaps everything there is automated. But what does the crew do if that section needs repairs or maintenance? Do they just go to the nearest starbase for repairs?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It's not that hard to imagine the struts connecting the Oberth's primary and secondary hulls being able to accommodate a turboshaft.

I think beta canon has usually explained it away as the Oberth's secondary hull containing sensor equipment that extremely sensitive and requires some distance from living crew for whatever reason.

I'm with you though, the Oberth is good. Like literally everything the TOS movies' design language gave us.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Nah, the Oberth is a small ship, those struts are too small for people to pass through. Maybe they beam over?

I love the Galaxy design. It's a crime that they destroyed the Enterprise-D in Generations. I wanted to see more of the D in glorious hi-def CGI.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

good. Like literally everything the TOS movies' design language gave us.

Hard disagree; I believe Trek design took a massive step backwards when ILM took over design beginning with TSFS. I've already explained why I strongly dislike the Excelsior; the pregnant guppy hull really drives me insane. As we've pointed out, the Oberth requires a lot of mental lampshading in order to even remotely make a lick of sense. The Bird of Prey also comes close to giving me an aneurysm; as originally written, the villains were Romulans, and then they were a band of Klingons who had stolen a Romulan vessel. So, okay, the design of the ship tracks with what we'd seen of the Romulans.

But then it gets rewritten again, so what does Nilo Rodis do? Did he revamp the ship to be congruent with established Klingon design? Nope, he just kept everything as-is, despite the Klingons never using avian imagery before, despite the Klingons never using that bright newborn-baby-poo poo green color before. It was just pure, unstrained laziness.

Then there's spacedock. Yeah, it sure makes sense to store your entire fleet inside a giant mushroom, where it can be easily disabled by a floating space burrito. Burrito entrapment aside, Spacedock and its ~spacedoors~ don't even make much sense from a logistics standpoint.

I'm also not a fan of the prop design ILM did, particularly the new hand phasers in The Final Frontier.

The best I can say about the ship designs by ILM is ... well, at least they aren't John Eaves monstrosities. And that's a textbook definition of damning with faint praise.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kurzon posted:

Nah, the Oberth is a small ship, those struts are too small for people to pass through. Maybe they beam over?

Bernd at ex-astris-scienta disagrees, but not by much. You'd have to use a really cramped turbolift car, turned sideways.

Source: https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/oberth-size.htm

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I definitely agree with you about the Oberth, Excelsior and the godawful TOS movie props, but the BOP is an absolute classic even if it wasn’t originally intended to be Klingon. I love Stardock too, even if it makes zero sense.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've always assumed Spacedock is mostly hollow all the way down the tube and a way to work on ships in a pressurised environment.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 25, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Space dock makes zero sense except for having giant SPACE DOORS to act as a plot point for Star Trek 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I definitely agree with you about the Oberth, Excelsior and the godawful TOS movie props, but the BOP is an absolute classic even if it wasn’t originally intended to be Klingon. I love Stardock too, even if it makes zero sense.
Excelsior is cool and good

Anyone defending the Oberth is a psycho