Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Super No Vacancy posted:

why would you play a twin stick shooter with a keyboard

I play with a controller but I've always used the face buttons to shoot unless I pick up Epic Fetus or some other cursor based item. An analog stick is much nicer than WASD for movement but (outside of certain exceptions) using an analog stick to shoot fucks me up when you can only shoot in the cardinal directions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
got a seed rec:

quote:

EVAD
6GF3

playing eve and got a wafer in the first treasure room and a seraphim baby just sitting out behind a rock in the first big room on the next regular floor

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Color Printer posted:

How about a mod that gives Mother a loving goddamn visible health bar

that fight sure is a thing, huh

My most wanted mods are making shops always half off on the first floor, pedestal items more common in secret rooms and getting rid of all the boss armor.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Pixeltendo posted:

My most wanted mods are making shops always half off on the first floor, pedestal items more common in secret rooms and getting rid of all the boss armor.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I want the mod that gets rid of time limits for Boss Rush/Hush because it’s annoying and always seems to come down to me being a second late beating Mom because I managed to visit every single room on the floor before finding the boss door

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

A warning for anyone that's unlocked it, the Emperor? card can brick your run if you don't have a way to teleport. If the boss it chooses for you to fight is mom's foot, it doesn't open a door back to the normal floor after, so you're just stuck until you hold R.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Augus posted:

I want the mod that gets rid of time limits for Boss Rush/Hush because it’s annoying and always seems to come down to me being a second late beating Mom because I managed to visit every single room on the floor before finding the boss door

:same: Besides, playing fast usually just boils down to whether or not the game lets you go fast. Did the first item room have Mom's Knife/Tech X/whatever other OP item that can carry the entire run? Did the game decide to not spawn the same exact lovely troll room full of bullshit enemies multiple times in a row? Did the game decide to give Depths 2 a normal layout and not make it all large rooms? Etc.

Also throw Always Void on the pile since that's, AFAIK, still just random chance whether or not you get to go there outside of killing Hush. At least you can directly influence Mega Satan and getting to him is actually easier now due to the angel deal change. (I'd still probably use Always Mega Satan anyway.)

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Einwand posted:

A warning for anyone that's unlocked it, the Emperor? card can brick your run if you don't have a way to teleport. If the boss it chooses for you to fight is mom's foot, it doesn't open a door back to the normal floor after, so you're just stuck until you hold R.

In general, stay away from that card if your run is good because outside of that one, you can also accidentally lock yourself to the alt path by using it on Gehenna/Mausoleum II.

All the new reverse arcana cards seems to either win my runs with ultra secret rooms and powerful effects or completely horsefuck them to death with weird teleports, item loss and broken hearts.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Good gently caress that was a slog. At least it's done.

And yes, I realize it's not the worst one by far. Tainted Forgotten is loving painful.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like the timed gates, they're the only thing in the game that discourage you from spending a tonne of time backtracking and messing around every floor. I liked the contrast between super grindy Mega Satan runs (where you were often trying to work out Sacrifice Rooms) and the quicker Hush/Delirium ones. That said while it was almost always possible to hit them in AB+ it may be that Rep has slowed the game down enough to make the current timings too hard.

Color Printer posted:

I don't think I'm ever picking up Marked again, moving that cursor around is so cumbersome

disclaimer: I use a controller
I usually use a controller but I switch to keyboard + mouse aiming if I get Marked or Epic Fetus. I've come to really like Marked, especially against mostly stationary bosses like Mother.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

why would you play a twin stick shooter with a keyboard

The game feels like it was designed with the 4 direction precision you get from discrete buttons in mind. Even on Switch I used the face buttons and d-pad rather than the sticks. It's not like you can shoot in 360 degrees anyway.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Ludovico and Ghost Pepper is a hilarious combination, if you have high luck you constantly spew a torrent of flame in the direction of your tear.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

ghost pepper and bird’s eye are for sure two of my favorite items

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Had a strong keeper run going yesterday that I ruined by using self sacrifice rooms and teleporting myself to Dark Room. I had misread that wasn't supposed to happen anymore but apparently only the daily runs disabled that. drat it!!

Self sacrifice rooms are very strong as keeper though!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kawalimus posted:

Had a strong keeper run going yesterday that I ruined by using self sacrifice rooms and teleporting myself to Dark Room. I had misread that wasn't supposed to happen anymore but apparently only the daily runs disabled that. drat it!!

Self sacrifice rooms are very strong as keeper though!

Why would they disable that for daily runs? Weird.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Why would they disable that for daily runs? Weird.

because mega satan gives an absurd amount of points so the teleport just kinda completely breaks the leaderboard

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

For the record, if you get Mom's Knife with the Mom's Lock trinket for the Dogma fight it does not persist into the Beast fight.

watho posted:

because mega satan gives an absurd amount of points so the teleport just kinda completely breaks the leaderboard

Seems like reducing the amount of points Mega Satan gives would be the better solution.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

Just Isaac because I don't think I had anyone else unlocked except Lazarus. I had several familiars that made the Mom fight relatively easy. The first time I got to Mom I had a half a heart of health remaining and got stomped pretty much as soon as the fight started so that was a little anticlimactic.

That rules, I still remember where and when I was when I beat Mom for the first time in the original flash isaac like a decade ago lol. I remember being so surprised that there was MORE and now, uh, there's a whole lot more

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pixeltendo posted:

I feel like shops are in a much better place after the Repentance tweak to where they're always unlocked on the first floor. It used to almost never be worth a key, but now I can always check them out, and sometimes there's an item on sale I can afford, or I have a few bombs and I can get to 15 coins between the donation machine and special shopkeepers, or whatever. Felt like a waste almost 99% of the time to even open the shop on floor 1 previously.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh, lmao, as long as it's the killing blow you can use the eraser on Demon Esau.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

John Murdoch posted:

Oh, lmao, as long as it's the killing blow you can use the eraser on Demon Esau.

It's pretty drat hard to hit it, since you only get one shot with the Eraser and it only does 15 damage which HAS to be the killing blow, and Dark Esau is bizarrely immune to Spider Mod so you can't even use THAT. A much easier trick to defeat that bastard is that if you chop him up with the Meat Cleaver the split clones will die while not turning T.Jacob into his Bad Lost form. It does require you to keep using the Cleaver in each new floor though, so there's that issue.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 27, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Seems like reducing the amount of points Mega Satan gives would be the better solution.

that would screw up the balance of dailies that take you to mega satan tho

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

watho posted:

How so? Everyone who clears it will get the same Mega Satan bonus so it seems like it would have the least effect on dailies with Mega Satan as the goal.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

watho posted:

Would it? Because everyone gets the same pts for it...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

The Moon Monster posted:

For the record, if you get Mom's Knife with the Mom's Lock trinket for the Dogma fight it does not persist into the Beast fight.

Ok as someone who soent like a year playing dailies and even got a couple top 10s;
Its not mega satan its the lamb. The mega satan door simply didnt spawn in dailies where he wasnt the goal. Second, its because its once again rng gamble bullshit.
The strat was get to get as far as you could in the daily, as close as you can to the goal, and pray you get a sac room.
Think of how bullshit it is to have to gamble on that.
Scenario 1: I decided to not teleport out after beating boss rush to get to depths 2 sac room and instead continue into womb, hoping to find a sac room somewhere. Theres none. A dude who gambled correctly and teleported out and sacd to dark room in d2 blows my hole because of the lamb bonus + exploration bonus.

Scenario 2: i teleport out fearing not getting a sac room in womb. A dude decides to push through and finds one. The extra exploration bonus and schwag bringing him over my score because he blindly guessed correctly.

This also happens when the daily runs go to satan or isaac, where the score is decided on whether you chose the right moment to sac room. This also requires that on dailies that end early you find floor skips like ewhaz or shovel and carry them aaalll the way till sheol, which is a bit annoying. Early 5 rooms are fine cause if you get too greedy you can miss boss rush which is a huge points boost.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Therd also the possibility that in a moms foot daily, you might not get sac room in depths 2!!! Do i sac now on d1? But i miss out on boss rush and maybe theres a sac room on d2!! Who knows?? Do i risk it now?? Etc

That said isaac scorinf dailies are busted and most of the really good scores come from breaking the store or smth which i never did cause i dont know exactly how to do it + its long tedious and boring

watho
Aug 2, 2013

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Would it? Because everyone gets the same pts for it...

yes everyone who beats it. but the point difference between beating it and not beating it would be diminished

also, what arfjason said

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ArfJason posted:

Ok as someone who soent like a year playing dailies and even got a couple top 10s;
Its not mega satan its the lamb. The mega satan door simply didnt spawn in dailies where he wasnt the goal. Second, its because its once again rng gamble bullshit.
The strat was get to get as far as you could in the daily, as close as you can to the goal, and pray you get a sac room.
Think of how bullshit it is to have to gamble on that.
Scenario 1: I decided to not teleport out after beating boss rush to get to depths 2 sac room and instead continue into womb, hoping to find a sac room somewhere. Theres none. A dude who gambled correctly and teleported out and sacd to dark room in d2 blows my hole because of the lamb bonus + exploration bonus.

Scenario 2: i teleport out fearing not getting a sac room in womb. A dude decides to push through and finds one. The extra exploration bonus and schwag bringing him over my score because he blindly guessed correctly.

This also happens when the daily runs go to satan or isaac, where the score is decided on whether you chose the right moment to sac room. This also requires that on dailies that end early you find floor skips like ewhaz or shovel and carry them aaalll the way till sheol, which is a bit annoying. Early 5 rooms are fine cause if you get too greedy you can miss boss rush which is a huge points boost.

I've gotten a few top tens from getting the dedication or whatever its called achievement on three accounts. I never really cared that much about the score, it's extremely rng based whether you remove this strategy or not, but it's a shame that they're removing a powerful and interesting strategy for progressing through the game. It just seems like a case of making the game worse to cater to a handful of people.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

to be clear. it’s only removed during dailies, during normal runs you can still do it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Yeah they made it so it does not work during dailies or challenges. Idk what youre on about

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Empress? Card is bugged as Keeper. When it expires it knocks your health down to one permanently. That's what happened to me anyway who knows if there was some weird chain of events I did to make that happen. But I still won the true ending run!! I battled my way back and recovered my HP. Thanks to The Stairway as an Eden's Blessing gift!! :D Got me the Sacred Heart+Brimstone+Holy Light combo of death and murder.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ArfJason posted:

Yeah they made it so it does not work during dailies or challenges. Idk what youre on about

I thought I stated it pretty clearly, can you clarify what part you're confused about? And yes I was aware it only applied to dailies, dailies are part of the game so making dailies worse makes the game worse.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
TApollyon is imo a big improvement. The flies are way more fun than stat increases and you end up being able to absorb so much more stuff.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought I stated it pretty clearly, can you clarify what part you're confused about? And yes I was aware it only applied to dailies, dailies are part of the game so making dailies worse makes the game worse.

I see, i thought you meant the whole game had the mechanic.
Fursonally it makes the whole process of dailies less of a guessing game than it already is, which in turn makes it less bad (but isaac for score despite how much ive played is practically impossible to properly balance and i wouldnt call it good), and i imagine this is something we wont ever see eye to eye on. It does not impact regular game which is what 90% of ppl play so i dont really mind.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

so hey, don't take Leo as the Lost because it still works, meaning you lose your hiding places

https://clips.twitch.tv/FastTriangularOtterAsianGlow-rEakVY0Wdf3gvtjB

also don't take i'm excited pills if you're not prepared for them

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
Picking up Esau Jr as Esau is hilariously bugged. You can no longer see Jacob’s active items, pills, health, or trinkets, but you’ll use them whenever you try to use anything with Esau. Also, you can still survive as Esau if Jacob does.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
R key half off in a Greedier run... nice but no, I don't think I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Color Printer posted:

so hey, don't take Leo as the Lost because it still works, meaning you lose your hiding places

https://clips.twitch.tv/FastTriangularOtterAsianGlow-rEakVY0Wdf3gvtjB

also don't take i'm excited pills if you're not prepared for them

Unsolicited ludovico technique advice: Keep the tear on you if you're having trouble with chasers. Then they're aiming themselves at your tear and you're not chasing them with your tear.