Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

tsob posted:

An invincible Strike unit that she gives away for someone else to pilot, because she's too poo poo to make any decent use of it. So Mwu pilots it after being cleared of his brainwashing, and nobody mentions or cares about all the warcrimes he committed as a Char. Including him.

It's given to him before he's cleared of the brainwashing! He's still Neo until he blocks the beam from hitting the Archangel in the final battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah I don't see her as Char. She's just a women meijin, who has none of the charm or fun of Yuki.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

You guys aren't making a good case for ne to finish SEED.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Technowolf posted:

You guys aren't making a good case for ne to finish SEED.

SEED is okay all in all, just don't start Destiny.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I hope there’s a SRW with IBO and the actual plot of Hathaway’s Flash. Just form a Voltron of questionable decisions. Have Amuro and Londo Bell as enemies for 3/4 the game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

I hope there’s a SRW with IBO and the actual plot of Hathaway’s Flash. Just form a Voltron of questionable decisions. Have Amuro and Londo Bell as enemies for 3/4 the game.

The question arises who else would be a good fit for Team Bad Ideas. I suppose NERV might be a good fit too, given the Ikari family's track record. The Gundam Wing crew and Celestial Being could also fit in, but that would be going pretty Gundam heavy.

On the flipside, I could also see a game putting the player loosely on Gjallarhorn's side at first if it was only doing IBO season 2, with Julieta and Vidar as guest pilots fighting off a threat from a different anime.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I never finished Destiny and now I'm a little bummed since Cagalli is one of my faves and I completely forgot the spiral down that happens. I'm halfway through my Seed rewatch and it's grown on me, even though I still bounce pretty hard off of Kira.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

SEED is pretty decent. One of the big problems is Destiny triples down on all the worst parts of SEED as it goes on and it makes SEED look worse.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I figure if IBO ever appears in a real SRW game they're either going to do Season 1 only or not even bother and just stick it in as a no plot or even post series entry(with some vague handwaving about why everyone in Tekkadan isn't dead)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

The question arises who else would be a good fit for Team Bad Ideas. I suppose NERV might be a good fit too, given the Ikari family's track record. The Gundam Wing crew and Celestial Being could also fit in, but that would be going pretty Gundam heavy.

On the flipside, I could also see a game putting the player loosely on Gjallarhorn's side at first if it was only doing IBO season 2, with Julieta and Vidar as guest pilots fighting off a threat from a different anime.

Code Geass is Bad Ideas: The Anime, so Lelouch and Kallen would be perfect fits. With Suzaku on the enemy side because he's a bootlicker. :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
orga getting everyone killed wouldn't happen in a srw game, because mazinger & co would pop in to eliminate all consequences. i like seeing the robots fight, but i have absolutely no expectations for srw stories.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mazinger Zero and New Getter Robo seem like excellent additions to Team Bad Ideas. Throw in Valvrave, Zeorymer, Exxaxxion, and Cross Ange to up the trash quotient and you're seriously cooking with napalm.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Srw kills people in bad ends like baldios, or make survival a super hard secret. Like keeping fafner units alive was a lot of crap.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
The most likeliest thing they'll do in a funky SRW crossover plot is probably like the fifth or fourth coolest thing you can think of for the funky crossover plot. It'll be cool and fun but probably not the coolest.

So Setsuna will probably uh, tell Mika that he is Gundam and then Tekkadan can start a ongoing permanent contract with Celestial Being to bring about world peace via armed intervention.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Mazinger Zero and New Getter Robo seem like excellent additions to Team Bad Ideas. Throw in Valvrave, Zeorymer, Exxaxxion, and Cross Ange to up the trash quotient and you're seriously cooking with napalm.

I suspect at this point, Biscuit living is the crueler fate.

Poor guy's going to make Sumeragi look like a Seveneth-day Adventist. (Putting Shino and Eugene on Libertas will not slow down the bad idea train in the slightest.)

As for SRW, I thought T had some really sharp writing from time to time, including some good work tying the plot crossovers into the game's themes. I was actually kinda impressed.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

chiasaur11 posted:

I suspect at this point, Biscuit living is the crueler fate.

Poor guy's going to make Sumeragi look like a Seveneth-day Adventist. (Putting Shino and Eugene on Libertas will not slow down the bad idea train in the slightest.)

As for SRW, I thought T had some really sharp writing from time to time, including some good work tying the plot crossovers into the game's themes. I was actually kinda impressed.

Worst thing about T is that Rudi Pixyzalto did not have her own theme that would blast everytime she would go "It is I!"

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MonsieurChoc posted:

Worst thing about T is that Rudi Pixyzalto did not have her own theme that would blast everytime she would go "It is I!"

:hmmyes:

Going through V, X, and T in a row it was interesting to see the different role some characters (Amuro, Kouji) played in each one. Maito wasn't quite as successful.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Honestly, tossing Manga Getter into "Bad Choices SRW" would seem like a good idea to me, if only so you can have the pivotal moment where characters see the future of Getter Emperor and resolve to make better choices.

Speaking of bad choices, though, can someone explain to me how we were supposed to see Lord Ezelcant's plan in Gundam Age as a good thing?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

Honestly, tossing Manga Getter into "Bad Choices SRW" would seem like a good idea to me, if only so you can have the pivotal moment where characters see the future of Getter Emperor and resolve to make better choices.

Speaking of bad choices, though, can someone explain to me how we were supposed to see Lord Ezelcant's plan in Gundam Age as a good thing?

Brain damage from Mars Rays, presumably.

(I'm now trying to think of who from Bad Choices SRW would argue against the worst ideas other than Biscuit, which leads to the disturbing thought that Mari Makinami Illustrious would be one of the voices of reason.)

But moving away from mass death as a consequence, there's a new Gundam Build Real.

It has Doan's Island gags!

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 27, 2021

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chiasaur11 posted:

But moving away from mass death as a consequence, there's a new Gundam Build Real.

It has Doan's Island gags!

Subs were a lot better this week. Still not perfect, but a gigantic improvement over last week's mess.

The episode itself was somewhat less interesting, though still neat. I do wonder what the series is going for in destroying the status quo before it's even formed, but I'm interested in seeing how it continues.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

tsob posted:

An invincible Strike unit that she gives away for someone else to pilot, because she's too poo poo to make any decent use of it. So Mwu pilots it after being cleared of his brainwashing, and nobody mentions or cares about all the warcrimes he committed as a Char. Including him.

I appreciate that the very first words that come out of Shinn's mouth in SRW Z when he sees Mwu is chewing his rear end out for the Stella/Destroy stuff

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anybody got that picture of haman blogging about how she hosed up with Judeau? I need it for something

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
so what's our spoiler policy on Hathaway right now considering the story has been around for a while but I'm sure most people don't know necessarily every detail

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

muike posted:

so what's our spoiler policy on Hathaway right now considering the story has been around for a while but I'm sure most people don't know necessarily every detail

Same as it would be for any anime adapted from a pre-existing work, I assume.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's what I figured so here goes: Hathaway Did Nothing Wrong

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bright is a busy father who became a bad father.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muike posted:

That's what I figured so here goes: Hathaway Did Nothing Wrong

Killing Chan was very wrong.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

The only question is how many Bright Slaps he gets.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He already upgraded to fisticuffs by Zeta.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

He already upgraded to fisticuffs by Zeta.

Kamille had em comin

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

Gaius Marius posted:

Anybody got that picture of haman blogging about how she hosed up with Judeau? I need it for something

This'n?

closeted republican posted:

HOLY poo poo I SAW HIM AGAIN TODAY!!!

i was at a party dealing with some stiff feddie suits when JUDAU FUCKIN CAME BACK <3

he was mad at me for some reason so i pulled a gun on him to calm him down like i did with char when we were havin sex back then but it didnt work.

instead he yelled at me and said i was bad and stuff. i shot at him but he didnt like it. then all of the sudden glemy's pedo girlfriend appeared and stood in front of him

AND THEN I SHOT HER Q_Q

JUDAU GOT REALLY MAD AND

MADE

A

DEMON

APPEAR IN FRONT OF HIMSELF!!!!!

HE HAD ALL OF THE NEWTYPE ENERGY FLOWING THROUGH HIM AND HE MADE A GIANT PROJECTION OF HIMSELF AND IT SCARED ME SO MUCH THAT I RAN BACK TO MY ROOM AND CRIED ABOUT IT FOR A LONG TIME

I'M..I CAN'T. I CAN'T. I AM SUCH A TRASH BABY FOR BLOWING IT WITH HIM.

I WISH WE COuld fuse togehter for a day like steven universe and connie did so he could see what we would be like together

im sorry judau for being so gross

Tagged: gently caress MY LIFE, personal, sex, love, tw:newtypes
20,000 notes

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

muike posted:

I imagine it's safe to talk about regardless, because not only do most people not know all the details; the details most people do think they know are outright wrong. Bright doesn't sign Hathaway's execution and Quess doesn't appear to mock Hathaway just before he's shot for example. Which are two of the most persistent rumors about it that have probably been floating around for a few decades at this point.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Poor Haman

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tsob posted:

I imagine it's safe to talk about regardless, because not only do most people not know all the details; the details most people do think they know are outright wrong. Bright doesn't sign Hathaway's execution and Quess doesn't appear to mock Hathaway just before he's shot for example. Which are two of the most persistent rumors about it that have probably been floating around for a few decades at this point.

i would argue thats the oppsoite of safe then

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's the one, Thank you. I remembered it as an image someone had actually posted or Tumblr or somesuch. This should prove helpful.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have several thoughts, not a good thesis and no conclusion. Hear my ramblings.

I got thinking about Culture and how the cultures represented in the Universal Century define themselves, particularly the space colonies and Zeon. What makes Zeon identifiable as Zeon and how did those elements come into effect.

Cultures in real life are natural progressions that come about from years of development, movement of populations and shared histories. Sometimes it is a result of a synthesis of multiple groups coming together and other times it is the result of isolation creating a culturally distinct identity. But I'm curious about Zeon. In UC the space colonies are all pretty much cosmopolitan. There's a few Sides that do bring along some of their earth identity with them, like Side 6 and 5 being more distinctly North American in terms of names, architecture and ethnicity, but for the most part the Sides seem to draw from the entire global disapora, with individuals from all hemispheres seemingly living amongst each other with little concern for country of origin. Their identity as colonists is derived from their current location, not where they originated. So what makes Zeon different, to the point where they adopt fascism and imperialism.

The quickest point of identity is with Zeon Deikun and the Contolist ideology. Examining what it means to live in space, free from Earth's gravity would definitely have a pull among philosophers and academics, and then having the ambitious among those numbers turning such ideology into power gains. But I don't think it's simple enough to say that Zeon would only exist due to Deikun or even the Zabis, just as I don't think it's simple enough to say that without Hitler there would be no Nazis or without Scholar Visari there would be no Helghast in Killzone. There has to be more to it to foster a turn to fascism than just having a charismatic man in the right place at the right time. That's part of it, but it doesn't have to be one specific man. The conditions and environment around those catalysts also plays a role. If it wasn't Hitler, it would have been someone else because the postwar, anti communist environment of Germany in the 20s and 30s created the perfect breeding ground for the kind of men like Hitler to cause populist uprisings.

Enter the Federation. A late stage capitalist giant that has sat on its laurels for too long while becoming economically reliant on its colonies to survive. Similar to the way the American Empire enforces economic exploitation through hard and soft power flexes, the EF does so with the colonies. But the thing about Empires is that they need a way to keep things together, to keep their own people united, and that is where foreign scapegoats come in. It could have been any of the Sides targeted by the EF that could have borne Zeon into being. It just happened to be Side 3; furthest from Earth, housing an academic body that was already questioning allegiance to humanity's birthplace, and chafing under economic exploitation by the homeland. It's the perfect scapegoat to let the EF flex their power, set an example for the other colonies, and galvanize their own population by creating a boogeyman. And Side 3 was more than happy to oblige, falling into the roles that such conditions generate.

Zeon, I find, defines itself less by what it is and more by what it is not. It establishes itself as the antithesis of Earth, a new type of humanity that lives among the stars free from the weight of generations and history. But how does it form its own history, when Zeon as a nation is only a few decades old, and the mass colonization of the Earth Sphere is only a few decades older than that? It borrows. For all the talk about being free from Earth, Zeon is a hypocrisy. It draws on historical analogues of oppression, iconography, uniforms, He Man cartoons (you can't tell me that the Zeon architect who made the Zabi palace wasn't a fan of action figure play sets) and even philosophy in order to distance itself from the Earth Federation. Most of that is obviously for the sake of the show's parallels to World War 2 and Imperial Japan, but in-universe it's an interesting study to see what Zeon intentionally took from Earth in its refutation of the Federation.

Strangely one of the things Zeon doesn't identify itself with is religion. Zeon and indeed a significant portion of spacenoids are religious. When the first colonists left for space before the Sides were made, they brought religion with them, as seen by the Chapel on Pezun. The Nazis were heavily Christian which they used as justification for atrocities against minorities, Jews, pagans and anyone else marked as undesirables. Zeon doesn't, though. Their beef is with Earth and the colonies that sided with Earth against them. I think the reason for this has to go back to what I said about the spacenoid population being cosmopolitan. Because the colonies draw from across the globe and seem to be pretty evenly displaced among the Sides, there isn't as much racial or religious bigotry on display, only economic bigotry. There's no reason for Zeon to persecute religious groups because they themselves run the gamut from highly religious to secular.

Economically, the Sides mostly seem to be well off, with the anger coming from the Feds extracting that wealth from the breadwinners propping up the planet's economy. There's obviously rougher colonies like Sangri-La or failed economic ventures like Texas Colony, or outright abandoned feral colonies like Moon-Moon, but for the most part it seems that the quality of life in the Sides is pretty good. There's still greenspace even inside colonies, there's obviously affordable housing, the resource extraction and manufacturing businesses seem to be absolutely booming considering how fast the Sides were reassembled and more sides built following the single deadliest war in human history, and you have the immense wealth of the Jupiter sphere extending out even further than the colonies. The economic bigotry instead has to come from opposition to the homeland demanding the wealth for themselves while their own population suffers from their jobs being outsourced to the colonies. Colonies make money, Feddie Government demands money, Colonies don't want to give away money, lower class but oddly non-racialized communities in both the colonies and on earth take the brunt of the damage while the rich capitalists at the top use them as sledgehammers.

I'd have more to say but I think I've lost the thread for now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think that by the time of Neo Zeon, Contolism has become something of a religion - more an organised faith than a philosophical/scientific doctrine. This eventually reaches its conclusion with the Zanscare Empire, which is an explicit Contolist theocracy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That tracks. I guess my takeaway is that for all that Zeon claims to be different from the Earth, the majority of their identity is wrapped up in old world iconography and intentional counter-culture like a raging teenager trying to stand out from the norm. Contolism is really the driving force of the "new" that actually sets spacenoid identity apart from Earthers, so it makes sense that it is the thing that really survives past the final end of Zeon. The rest of it is window dressing and aesthetics used by the economic elite of spacenoid cultures to try and enforce an identity rather than letting it grow organically from a single idea like Contolism itself.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

That tracks. I guess my takeaway is that for all that Zeon claims to be different from the Earth, the majority of their identity is wrapped up in old world iconography and intentional counter-culture like a raging teenager trying to stand out from the norm. Contolism is really the driving force of the "new" that actually sets spacenoid identity apart from Earthers, so it makes sense that it is the thing that really survives past the final end of Zeon. The rest of it is window dressing and aesthetics used by the economic elite of spacenoid cultures to try and enforce an identity rather than letting it grow organically from a single idea like Contolism itself.

One interesting detail about Zeon's founding there, if I remember right?

Zeon is an Earthnoid. That is, Zeon Zum Deikun was one of the Earthnoid elite who (unlike most) voluntarily migrated to the colonies because he believed that the future of humanity was in the heavens.

Meanwhile, Degwin was a spacenoid who had to live through the harsh early days of colonization, who worked his way up from the bottom only to be met at the top by an Earthnoid philosopher who got to skip all the parts where he'd pick up callouses on his hands.

If that's the case, it explains a lot about their dynamics, both in the original and in the origin.