Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Oh yeah, that too. No study has 1 in 10 people get covid, because not that many people get covid anyway. The study I posted had ~200 covid cases in 4000 people over 13 weeks. That's 5% total, including unvaccinated people (who made up 160 of the 200 cases).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Inept posted:

lol you said you wanted to put unvaccinated people in camps

Yeah they can bunk with the Uighurs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

John_A_Tallon posted:

It means that in the test population 1 out of every 10 people that got the real treatment instead of a placebo still got COVID somehow. Maybe their immune system didn't respond hard enough or long enough, maybe the shot was administered or stored incorrectly; it probably wasn't that they caught some variant of COVID that the shot provided less or no protection against, because the tests were done relatively early in the pandemic. But who knows!

There was an outbreak in skilled nursing facility in Kentucky in March and amongst the full vaccinated residents 25.4% were infected and one of them died. 7.1% of the vaccinated staff were also infected.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7017e2.htm

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
It is also worth pointing out the efficacy numbers for even the crap vaccines are *stunningly* good. We wiped out polio, smallpox and TB* with vaccinations in the range of 60-70% efficacy. 80-85% is considered pretty loving high - that we have not one but at least four vaccines above that is nothing short of astonishing.

* Offer not valid in developing nations

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Thread is fine. Full of valuable info. In 10 days when I am 2 weeks past second shot I will be able to do some outdoors activities unmasked.

What a joy that will be and thanks to this thread (more than any other source) I will be making an educated decision.

Goons don't have to be in total lockstep hivemind to post in GBS thank gently caress

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It is also worth pointing out the efficacy numbers for even the crap vaccines are *stunningly* good. We wiped out polio, smallpox and TB* with vaccinations in the range of 60-70% efficacy. 80-85% is considered pretty loving high - that we have not one but at least four vaccines above that is nothing short of astonishing.

* Offer not valid in developing nations

Yeah CoronaVac is looking pretty lovely, which helps explain how Chile just had a huge spike in cases even though their vaccination rate is roughly on par with the US

quote:

Most vaccinated Chileans have only had a single dose, meaning they are still largely unprotected from infection. A study published by researchers at the University of Chile on 6 April, in which Cortés was not involved, found that the CoronaVac vaccine was 56.5% effective in preventing infections two weeks after a second dose but only 3% effective after a single dose.
https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1023

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Spinz posted:

Goons don't have to be in total lockstep hivemind to post in GBS thank gently caress

Haha no but it would be nice if we could avoid calling each other murderers every two pages.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Got an offer to film somebody's 8 hour presentation in about 2 weeks. It will be indoors, and it will be only me, the presenter and maybe a few other people present (less then 5 total.) Everyone there will be fully vaccinated, supposedly. These are high income professional types. Should be fine, right? I'll still be wearing an N95 if I do go, but I don't know if anyone else would be. Normally I would say this is a no brainer but the long length of time we will be around each other has me a bit hesitant. My gut says it's a bad idea but idk if that's just my warped perspective after hardcore quarantining for the last 16 months.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
the guidance from the cdc is that vaccinated people can gather in small groups indoors without masks so it would be fine. i'm sure someone will come in and call you a murderer for doing it but i wouldn't personally worry about it

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Big Bizness posted:

Got an offer to film somebody's 8 hour presentation in about 2 weeks. It will be indoors, and it will be only me, the presenter and maybe a few other people present (less then 5 total.) Everyone there will be fully vaccinated, supposedly. These are high income professional types. Should be fine, right? I'll still be wearing an N95 if I do go, but I don't know if anyone else would be. Normally I would say this is a no brainer but the long length of time we will be around each other has me a bit hesitant. My gut says it's a bad idea but idk if that's just my warped perspective after hardcore quarantining for the last 16 months.

if i could get those terms in writing i'd do it, depending on how much money it was and how badly i needed money

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Big Bizness posted:

I am constantly surrounded by unmasked people while I play dodgeperson. I wear an N95. It's been like this since the pandemic started. I'm not fuckin' dead yet.

I am profusely crying while I watch an old disney world fireworks show because look at all the people, listen to the joy in their voices, this is how we used to live.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Big Bizness posted:

If you're vaccinated it's fine, if you're vaccinated, they're vaccinated, and you're wearing an n95 mask its probably less risky than the car ride over.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Big Bizness posted:

The key imo is if they are vaxed. If they are great, I'd do it. Open windows and doors, have airflow, you'll feel better.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a handy graphic that lists the current CDC guidances on masks
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1387087975142600708

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I am constantly surrounded by unmasked people while I play dodgeperson. I wear an N95. It's been like this since the pandemic started. I'm not fuckin' dead yet.

I am profusely crying while I watch an old disney world fireworks show because look at all the people, listen to the joy in their voices, this is how we used to live.
There have been worse pandemics. In a couple of years or a year that kind of gathering may be safe again. It MAY be. You need to get therapy because being a minister during all this death would be hard on anyone!!!

It is ok to have hope. Hope is necessary for humans. Its keeping me alive tho based on past experiences it is folly. I'm still going to have it! :sympathy:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Big Bizness posted:

I would do it if you're 2+ weeks post-vax and if you'll wear the N95 consistently.

A lot of the time (in different/worse situations) I'm seeing people say "of course I'll wear my mask" and omit "except for the 2 hours when we're all sitting at the same table eating and chatting." It seems likely that will come up in this situation, so plan/decide in advance.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Spinz posted:

There have been worse pandemics. In a couple of years or a year that kind of gathering may be safe again. It MAY be. You need to get therapy because being a minister during all this death would be hard on anyone!!!

It is ok to have hope. Hope is necessary for humans. Its keeping me alive tho based on past experiences it is folly. I'm still going to have it! :sympathy:

Probably not and I'm not a fan of therapy for a variety of reasons but hey, maybe one day we can like. distance elbow boop.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's a handy graphic that lists the current CDC guidances on masks
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1387087975142600708

gods they make this poo poo a mess, don't they?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nam Taf posted:

Ok sure I’ll concede that, but it only proves my point that you won’t only be catching 95% of cases with a 14 day quarantine. The numbers don’t pass a sniff test, given we routinely get 20 cases a day and yet it doesn’t leak through.

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/33/eabc1202.full

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

John_A_Tallon posted:

It means that in the test population 1 out of every 10 people that got the real treatment instead of a placebo still got COVID somehow.

I know other people have already addressed this point, but Jesus Christ.

(BRB, gotta cancel my vaccination since being vaxxed apparently hugely increases my chances of infection.)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Probably not and I'm not a fan of therapy for a variety of reasons but hey, maybe one day we can like. distance elbow boop.

gods they make this poo poo a mess, don't they?

The right side appears to indicate that fully vaccinated people without masks are safer than fully vaccinated people *with* masks under certain scenarios.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

There Bias Two posted:

The right side appears to indicate that fully vaccinated people without masks are safer than fully vaccinated people *with* masks under certain scenarios.
How? I am not seeing that.

This is showing (a) if you need precautions, and (b) the level of safety based on the precautions (or lack thereof) recommended.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

There Bias Two posted:

The only row where that’s the case is for restaurants, and yeah, masks are a farce there.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

where's the part that indicates that?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A beautiful lockdown memory from one year ago:

Such happier, innocent times :allears:

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I give people here the benefit of the doubt over neighbors. We have a trump flag neighbor that mocked my pregnant wife for wearing a mask on our outdoor walk when we pass people, and since we are moving in 2 weeks anyway an 18 inch subwoofer and 15 inch top pointed at their house from the backyard for 4 hours felt great.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Has anyone else who got their shots through Walgreens run into this?

I logged into my Walgreens account to see if I could reschedule my 2nd shot for something closer to 22 or 23 days but this page refuses to acknowledge that I got shot 1.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Dick Jones posted:

Has anyone else who got their shots through Walgreens run into this?

I logged into my Walgreens account to see if I could reschedule my 2nd shot for something closer to 22 or 23 days but this page refuses to acknowledge that I got shot 1.

Probably just means they're not scheduling ad-hoc 2nd doses at this point.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
It looked different on mobile but on the app I wasn't able to change my appointment until like 20 days after my first shot. So basically not until right when I'd be eligible to get the second shot anyway. No idea why they designed it that way, but you may just need to wait.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That poster would probably be more comfortable in CSPAM.

That's just cruel.

Blackmore
Dec 28, 2012

Catch the Rainbow
got my second shot the other day and while my first one was just a sore injection site, the second one actively tried to kill me. Don’t remember the last time I felt so ill, like if I moved my head two degrees to the left, my headache would manifest physically and cleave me in twain. Christ. Felt much better when I could sit up and get some tylenol in me, ffs.

Excited to get a haircut in a few weeks tho.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Fenarisk posted:

I give people here the benefit of the doubt over neighbors. We have a trump flag neighbor that mocked my pregnant wife for wearing a mask on our outdoor walk when we pass people, and since we are moving in 2 weeks anyway an 18 inch subwoofer and 15 inch top pointed at their house from the backyard for 4 hours felt great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61pMtsWxQrs

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Fenarisk posted:

Set it to play Biden speeches.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Just got my first AZ about an hour or so ago. Let's hope my 39 yo female self doesn't throw a clot!

minor arm soreness, some neck muscle pinching, otherwise so far so good

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
This thread has me confused. Are we all going to die or not?

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Unlucky7 posted:

Just be patient.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

dwarf74 posted:

How? I am not seeing that.

This is showing (a) if you need precautions, and (b) the level of safety based on the precautions (or lack thereof) recommended.

The label on the right side says "safest", which could be interpreted to mean that for their respective settings, no mask is safest versus wearing a mask. I know this is not what is intended here, but it could read that way to some.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I'll add my experience to the mix.

Wife and I both got our 2nd Pfizer last week. Wife felt a little tired afterwards for a day or two, but that could also be the lack of sleep from our 3-week old daughter finally wearing on us.

About 12 hours after, I started to get a headache and chills. I went outside at night to bring the trash out to the curb (SF Bay Area, so not overly cold in April) and stopped to stare at the sky for a minute because it was pretty clear. After about 30 seconds I started to shake and felt physically ill and booked it inside. Teeth chattering, bundled up under blankets, and felt pretty off until about 3AM (~18 hours post shot), when I finally felt my temperature regulating properly. Still had a headache (mild-to-moderate hangover level) until I finally took some Excedrin around noon the next day. Felt great after that. All things considered, not too bad of an experience. Would vax again.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

Technically yes.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was an outbreak in skilled nursing facility in Kentucky in March and amongst the full vaccinated residents 25.4% were infected and one of them died. 7.1% of the vaccinated staff were also infected.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7017e2.htm

So that's a 72% efficacy and 87% efficacy against symptomatic disease. Not great really!

Still obviously enough with other measures, but we're even walking back masks at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
SchnorkIes, you gotta change that to “against symptomatic disease in the old and infirm” before the mods get you again.