Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

on the other hand, she is very pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

i didn't watch it but one review I read said the video package was positioning Eva Marie as a happy, follow your dreams babyface? if so, that's a bit of a departure.

That's how it reads to me but they lean so hard on the heel version of "I'm A Role Model" thing that only Britt and Bayley do well these days that it could be that too.

There are also a bunch of times when Eva says some version of "do I have your attention" that I thought it was a mistake or parody.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Quantum of Phallus posted:

who's this, why is everyone laughing, serious quesiton

I remember her not being good and then being drafted to smackdown but always having some reason appear for not debuting on the show. It seems odd to hire her when you let go of a lot of good wrestlers like Mickie James. If the reason for the hire was because she's eye candy...they have Carmella. It just seems like a nonsense hire when they have other people that could potentially fill the role that Eve could.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rarity posted:

Imagine telling people a year ago that AEW's women's division would be ahead of WWE's

RAW's womens roster includes the murderers row of Lana, Nia Jax, Lacey Evans, Dana Brooke and now Eva Marie.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

One of the things that is most insulting about the WWE approach to booking and writing for women is that they genuinely think that "hot" is a character archetype.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TV Zombie posted:

It just seems like a nonsense hire when they have other people that could potentially fill the role that Eve could.

John Lauranitis thinks she's hot

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

TV Zombie posted:

I remember her not being good and then being drafted to smackdown but always having some reason appear for not debuting on the show. It seems odd to hire her when you let go of a lot of good wrestlers like Mickie James. If the reason for the hire was because she's eye candy...they have Carmella. It just seems like a nonsense hire when they have other people that could potentially fill the role that Eve could.

Apparently Eva has been signed to WWE since 2019 apparently! But the optics of debuting her NOW is really bad, especially just after a bunch of well liked women were released. I mean...not that bad optics have stopped WWE before!

But it's pretty amazing to see how all three WWE brands have had some sort of major setback in regards to women's wrestling. RAW has been focusing on Nia/Reginald, this Lilly stuff, and now Eva Marie. That's ignoring them going down the path of pushing Charlotte. Again. Then you have Smackdown where the most prominent women right now are goddamn Natalya and Tamina. Finally you have NXT where they took the title off of one of their most popular stars (in the sense that she was legitimately the only draw on the product outside of maybe Balor) and put it onto an act who actively drives away viewers.

It's like a perfect storm of incredibly lovely booking for the women.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DarkstarIV posted:

Apparently Eva has been signed to WWE since 2019 apparently!

What the gently caress has she been doing for them all this time? :psyduck:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

Tweeting for Linda McMahon's boss Trump

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Rarity posted:

Enjoying the excellent catering

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In Total Divas canon, Eva Marie dyed her hair red so she wouldn't look like a third Bella sister without asking anyone and Mark Caranno got mad.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

ThePariah posted:

The negative reaction to her return proves that Eva Marie is actually the best heel in wrestling.

Does she have your attention now?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

In Total Divas canon, Eva Marie dyed her hair red so she wouldn't look like a third Bella sister without asking anyone and Mark Caranno got mad.

That was really funny. The only Total Divas I ever saw was some office goon getting mad she dared to change her appearance without permission.

Independent contractor baby!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Total Divas rocked especially when Mox tried to fight some guy who stole Renee's hat

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Nothing really touches that first season or two with Cameron and Vinny. RIP to two real ones.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Total Divas rocked especially when Mox tried to fight some guy who stole Renee's hat

https://youtu.be/sN2sLT9-DyE

This rules.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jon Moxley's absolutely intense Wife Guy energy is one of my favourite things about him

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DarkstarIV posted:

Finally you have NXT where they took the title off of one of their most popular stars (in the sense that she was legitimately the only draw on the product outside of maybe Balor) and put it onto an act who actively drives away viewers.

NOBODY is a draw in this company. There is not one person people will tune in to see weekly that consistently raises the ratings. Nobody. She may be a draw for you, but you still watch everything, which means the brand itself is the draw

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
All this talk of Eva Marie's "avoiding wrestling" gimmick reminds me of what felt like a multiple months long stretch where Lacey Evans would just walk down and back up the ramp every episode, for seemingly no reason :psyduck:

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mox meeting Renee’s mother and immediately getting day drunk with her was another perfect moment on that season

I seem to remember people thinking his behavior was a bit of a work on Total Divas, but now we know the truth

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Astro7x posted:

NOBODY is a draw in this company. There is not one person people will tune in to see weekly that consistently raises the ratings. Nobody. She may be a draw for you, but you still watch everything, which means the brand itself is the draw

No I think Io was actually a Draw. I think her segments did better numbers

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Shard posted:

No I think Io was actually a Draw. I think her segments did better numbers

Not cherry picking here, just trying to pull up advertised matches I can find quarter hour numbers for. Not random segments.

NXT 3/10

Q1: 740k / 210k (Regal announcements, tag belt presentation)
Q2: 729k / 219k (Io/Toni, Balor promo)
Q3: 679k / 224k (Knight interview + Reed confrontation, Dunne/Atlas, Dunne promo, Imperium promo)
Q4: 683k / 227k (Ruff interview, Women's Tag Title match)
Q5: 685k / 245k (end of Tag, Cole interview, The Way interview)
Q6: 685k / 242k (Li/Carter, Devlin promo, Stark video, Escobar promo)
Q7: 639k / 225k (GYV/LDF, Shirai challenge, Ciampa/Thatcher interview, start to Cole/Balor)
Q8: 631k / 213k (Cole vs Balor)

NXT 2/24
Q1: 800k / 232k (Lumis vs Gargano)
Q2: 781k / 250k (MSK video package, Grizzled Young Veterans beatdown on MSK, Rust vs Ruff and Regal/Stark segment)
Q3: 745k / 235k (Shirai vs Stark)
Q4: 706k / 213k (end of Shirai vs Stark, Toni challenging Shirai, The Way promo and Cameron Grimes vignette)
Q5: 729k / 236k (Xia vs Kacy, women's Tag Team title match preview video)
Q6: 623k / 207k (another Grimes video, Dain/Maverick vs GYV)
Q7: 709k / 233k (beginning of Kross vs Escobar)
Q8: 743k / 241k (ending of Kross vs Escobar, Cole/Strong/Balor angle)

NXT 10/27 (Halloween Havoc)

Q1: 922k / 337k (Gargano vs Priest)
Q2: 957k / 340k (finish to Gargano vs Priest)
Q3: 892k / 334k (Grimes/Regal, Pat McAfee segment)
Q4: 780k / 290k (Santos vs Atlas)
Q5: 850k / 324k (Lumis vs Grimes, start of Ripley vs Gonzalez)
Q6: 901k / 337k (Ripley vs Gonzalez)
Q7: 810k / 310k (rest of Lumis/Grimes, Ciampa promo)
Q8: 844k / 321k (Io vs Candice)

A Dexter Lumis, Gonzalez/Ripley, and Damian Priest match drew more than a Io main event on a special episode of NXT

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Worth noting that special episode of NXT with Io/Candice was like their fourth or fifth match against each other in the span of 1.5 years or so. And every single time Io had completely flattened Candice. But either way it was still a ratings increase compared to a lot of other segments.

In other news looks like WWE is turning Naomi heel.

https://mobile.twitter.com/StephanieHypes/status/1389573515003629578?s=19

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Io wasn't like god's gift, but to my memory there are absolutely weeks where viewership on Dynamite would drop and NXT would increase for Shirai's segments. Even in your last example, she's up heading into the main and frankly any person who can get ratings to go up for Q8 is doing a really good job. But no, she is not Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Eva Marie is gonna surprise you all when it turns out she's also been watching Shibata tapes.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Might as well.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Naomi following the classic WWE pipeline of 'babyface loser dork who loses all the time' to 'cowardly heel who cheats to win (but still always loses)'

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

Never forget

:australia:

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Why did they repeat her "Dean, Dean, Dean" line twice in 40 seconds

I thought the point of reality TV was to at least try to hide that it's all manufactured

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

Erebus posted:

I thought the point of reality TV was to at least try to hide that it's all manufactured

Lance said that he said "you know why you haven't made it yet" on World of Hurt once and they just kept reusing it.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKLphUS9yaJHuD0DaIY-3p8nVNoMFvmqu

And it's pretty obvious too, i fast forwarded to the end of EP1 and 2 and it's the same shot,cadence, exact face. :lol: Reality tv banks on people not paying attention.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Erebus posted:

Not an avid reality TV viewer but far as I know it's very much "scripted reality" which isn't even really hidden. Basically it's like wrestling, you know it's fake but if you like it it's easy to suspend disbelief

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
eva marie returning just reminded me of the dude i dated who didn’t watch wrestling just total divas, among other unhealthy behaviors

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

incoming fued with lana where everyone roots for the heel

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Video removed but here's a recap
https://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/kaepernick-eva-marie-nike/

There's Trump in the title of this video from 2016 but no actual trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNd_UKkwM4
laughing at the idea of a makeup tutorial that comes down to 'have a makeup artist do it for you'

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

WatermelonGun posted:

eva marie returning just reminded me of the dude i dated who didn’t watch wrestling just total divas, among other unhealthy behaviors

It's always good to spot the red flags early

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

at least he didn’t watch both

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DarkstarIV posted:

Worth noting that special episode of NXT with Io/Candice was like their fourth or fifth match against each other in the span of 1.5 years or so. And every single time Io had completely flattened Candice. But either way it was still a ratings increase compared to a lot of other segments.

But it was also a "Tables, Ladders, and Scares" match, on an special themed episode, so.....

SonicRulez posted:

Io wasn't like god's gift, but to my memory there are absolutely weeks where viewership on Dynamite would drop and NXT would increase for Shirai's segments. Even in your last example, she's up heading into the main and frankly any person who can get ratings to go up for Q8 is doing a really good job. But no, she is not Stone Cold Steve Austin.

On 2/24 when Io's segment was third highest rated segment on the show and ratings continued to go down, Kross/Escobar adds 86K viewers for Q7 and another 34K for the finish in Q8. Are those two draws?

People have a bias toward their favorite wrestlers. Nobody is a draw. People just tune in and lose interest. I am sure more people watched Mansoor last night than any NXT segment ever

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
this is like one of those classic memes where the brain gets bigger each time

jeff hardy in the main event

jeff hardy on Main Event

jeff hardy LOSING on Main Event

jeff hardy LOSING on Main Event to JINDER MAHAL

jeff hardy LOSING on Main Event to JINDER MAHAL in 2 minutes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I love that Eva Marie is so far removed from any sort of hardship that she had to reach all the way back to her father being in Vietnam to make a stupid point.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Rarity posted:

It's always good to spot the red flags early

all red everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That reminds me that I did watch some of Total Divas and I remember Eva Marie consistently being the most boring part of it. She has zero personality in a show aggressively edited to make even the most bland people seem totally insane

EDIT: Removed a comment about her boyfriend which was probably poorly remembered and unfounded. Many bad boyfriends on that show

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 4, 2021