Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

XMNN posted:

i also like how every policy from the 2019 manifesto is now a no go, because the voters explicitly rejected every single one of them individually, I'm looking forward to seeing what I'm sure will be a very an exciting offering in 2024

It's More Cops. Labours emergency vote winner is More Cops and maybe nationalising one train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

genericnick posted:

They were, that's why when the media pulled up the manifesto in 2017 to laugh at it it nearly cost May the election. But they're not going to make the same mistake again, the only Labour policy that will be widely discussed is the Final Solution.

they were, but it wasn't enough on its own which is bad for leftism imo. since we aren't likely to get a charismatic candidate the media supports

Jose posted:

Labour might well have won in 2017 had the party machine not been actively trying to lose

this being arguably true is also the mechanism by which the corbyn left don't have to learn any lessons if we don't want to

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

gonadic io posted:

Labour's stated policy is 2.5%, vs what the Tories gave them of 1% vs the royal college of nurses saying 12% vs the 2019 labour (pre covid obvs) manifesto of 5%
yes that's what I said?

nandy refused to go further than the tories "legislated for" 2.5% and Keith said that should be a starting point and then he'd negotiate

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1388781437260861440?s=19

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1389468840266977285?s=19

they both refused to give an actual figure but presumably if it's a negotiation they're not planning on giving them what the royal college asked for

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

God drat commuting yourself on telly to negotiating nurses pay down in an imaginary negotiation lol

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I agree with Communism Thoughts that a lot of the UK left is not willing to be introspective about the failures of the Corbyn project. Especially the fact that it was assumed that everyone who voted for Corbyn and joined the party because of him was a die hard leftist which Keir Starmer emphatically proved is not the case.

On the other hand the fact that the British left nearly won an election entirely on accident (especially given how in 2015 the left seemed totally dead) that should be a good sign especially as long as the Labour right and liberals totally fail to have any solution to the huge problems facing the UK and the world.

IMO housing and the environment and going to be the 2 fertile grounds for leftism going forward, especially because both are areas where middle class liberals can be captured by a left project (for housing because middle class people are seeing their kids be unable to afford their own house even with inheritance money).

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Deleted now.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

the sex ghost posted:

It's More Cops. Labours emergency vote winner is More Cops and maybe nationalising one train
cop train

central police brutality force at cop station ready to be deployed anywhere on the country on shorter notice than usual in a train with a flag on (the flag snaps off when they go through a tunnel) (it's not actually nationalised)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

I agree with Communism Thoughts that a lot of the UK left is not willing to be introspective about the failures of the Corbyn project. Especially the fact that it was assumed that everyone who voted for Corbyn and joined the party because of him was a die hard leftist which Keir Starmer emphatically proved is not the case.

When corbyn had just lost I remember that there was a lot of despair and depression but also a lot of introspection and reflection.

Then that internal report came out convincingly blaming the PLP and it allowed people a conscious out from the feelings of despair but also from having to analyse our failure

I distinctly remember at the time feeling how seductive this report was going to be just based on how awful everyone felt before.
"We would have won in 2017" was the driving story of corbynism from then on, it was brutally killed after 2019 then resurrected by the report.

There's a huge amount of emotion wrapped up in assigning blame on both the left and right of labour and the way things ended up it's intractable.
Either 2017 was sabotage preventing a heroic near win against insurmountable odds or it was incompetence preventing an easy win against an awful candidate. Theres good evidence for both and we will never agree over it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Communist Thoughts posted:

this being arguably true is also the mechanism by which the corbyn left don't have to learn any lessons if we don't want to
The lesson is to purge the wreckers. That you don’t recognize that as a lesson doesn’t make it so.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Communist Bear posted:

Labour are bereft of ideas and talent, the ship has well and truly sunk, and what's left is flotsam with a petty officer clinging on, pretending he's in charge. They don't know who they represent or who to represent. The workers of yesteryear long abandoned them, and the New Labour supporters have left them because they're now fat rich boomers, who vote Conservative to keep their money and stability at the expense of all others. They don't want to represent upcoming voters - millennials, gen-z - because that would require effort, organisation and ideas, and gosh-darn young people don't vote, even though millennials are in their 30's or early 40's. They don't want to represent the working class because they smell and have no money. They want the right wing vote, which is dumb because the right wing will never vote for them.

Hell, it's not even clear if KEITH wants to become leader. Most opposition parties attack the party in charge because, at a fundamental level, they want to be in power. Labour have done none of this. The Hartlepool polling is a prime example of how impotent they are. "Oh well the voters just aren't listening"; "how can we win when Corbyn supports still exist"; "really, it's the voters at fault"; "we can't afford to have ideas and policies." It can't be emphasised enough how useless Labour are the moment, and that's unlikely to change for some time.

still LOLing at the time Labour announced Kieth was going to unveil some exciting policies to thrill the nation and it turned out to be ….

… an idea for a new kind of Government Bond

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

XMNN posted:

yes that's what I said?

Yes.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The lesson is to purge the wreckers. That you don’t recognize that as a lesson doesn’t make it so.

Just saying "purge the wreckers" is meaningless though, as it turns out a huge part of Corbyn's powerbase were not on board with that project, you would have had 50 MPs split not 12 and the whole thing would be dead in the water. It worked for the Tories because Johnson correctly surmised that he would be rewarded for purging the Tory remainers due to a decades long project of embedding brexit at the heart of conservatism (something like 95% of Tory members were hard brexiters)

This is the point, the Corbyn project was much more fragile than first thought and the left needs to work out to be in a better position of strength in the event we're in the same position in the future so we *can* successfully get rid of the wreckers

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

also, for me at least, "purge the wreckers" is not a new lesson. its what the corbyn project was meant to be doing in the first place, at least as much as it was meant to be about changing the culture of labour and getting some new blood in.
that was meant to be our consolation prize even if we didn't win the election

remember all the talk about succession and setting up the party for the long term? that didn't happen apparently

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

smellmycheese posted:

still LOLing at the time Labour announced Kieth was going to unveil some exciting policies to thrill the nation and it turned out to be ….

promptly forgotten and never mentioned again too lol

just voted for the communist party of britain for the council election mostly for the novelty of voting for a communist party. i'm sure they're bad but so were all the other options

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

smellmycheese posted:

And then promptly never loving talked about it ever again, such is their genius.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/epiplexis_/status/1390054532357447684?s=20

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

have the tories won yet

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Communist Thoughts posted:

also, for me at least, "purge the wreckers" is not a new lesson. its what the corbyn project was meant to be doing in the first place, at least as much as it was meant to be about changing the culture of labour and getting some new blood in.
that was meant to be our consolation prize even if we didn't win the election

remember all the talk about succession and setting up the party for the long term? that didn't happen apparently
It was clearly a lesson that the actual people running the project needed to learn. Like, it’s hard seeing lessons beyond that precisely because other ways to fail were not tried.

As for there being too many wreckers, I think taking the most active ones out could’ve brought some in line.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

as long as he doesnt ever become PM i'm gonna look back fondly on kier as a character i think

hes like kezia dugdale but much worse morally

e:
he does need to get on her level though

dispatch_async posted:

Kezia Dugdale and Anas Sarwar smash the pound

https://twitter.com/ScottishLabour/status/868078347376578562
Kezia Dugdale beats Labour intern dressed in SNP colours in go kart race

I hadn't noticed thats Anas in the hulk smash photo, that makes me want to vote for him but i promised i wouldnt

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 11:20 on May 6, 2021

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Willie Rennie always seems to have the best photos. His party will never achieve anything, but he at least looks like he's having fun.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Just saying "purge the wreckers" is meaningless though, as it turns out a huge part of Corbyn's powerbase were not on board with that project, you would have had 50 MPs split not 12 and the whole thing would be dead in the water. It worked for the Tories because Johnson correctly surmised that he would be rewarded for purging the Tory remainers due to a decades long project of embedding brexit at the heart of conservatism (something like 95% of Tory members were hard brexiters)

This is the point, the Corbyn project was much more fragile than first thought and the left needs to work out to be in a better position of strength in the event we're in the same position in the future so we *can* successfully get rid of the wreckers

But those 50 MPs wouldn't have been all that much more successful than the CUKs, and the parlimentarian left would have been in a much better position now.
Of course hindsight and you're still letting Boris ruun over the country with his Brexit-dozer.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Are they inside a giant bin bag

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
if anyone wants to point and laugh at an idiot, I feel slightly sick that I'm wavering on whether or not to bother voting today

in bristol, so we've got a mayor or something to vote for

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I voted for the guy who wanted to rebrand london as e-london (because he was the only one in the leaflet promising anything other than MORE COPS) and the communist party.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
i mind this from last election

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/859423672041443328

not shopped, just a high street. you know how it is. probably worse now

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
There is also that no matter how much time is spent on introspection, what are you going to do about the conclusion? It is no secret that the western corporate media is incredible hostile against any genuine leftist ideology. What is to be done? Hope there will be somehow some marxist billionaire or two who can take on the media? Hope for social media? Guess who runs those.

Any time there is even the slightest push for more social politics there will be hundreds of pieces about financing while there will be always money for interventionist wars or the latest financial market bailouts.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

if anyone wants to point and laugh at an idiot, I feel slightly sick that I'm wavering on whether or not to bother voting today

I feel bad because our lib dem candidate seems like a good egg and councillors don't really do anything but can't bring myself to vote for her. Powerful Jo swinson energy though, we've had at least one leaflet a week for the last month compared to none from the other parties

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I feel the same, it's the first time I'm not exercising my right feels weird. Its just councillor and PCC elections here though. The latter very much campaigning solely on "we need more cops!"

If Labour isn't willing to critique the police after a high profile case of a pig murdering a white woman then they never will.

I don't think NIP or anyone else walking down the road for are running, I've not had any other leaflets other than a rancid tory candidate who looks like he's twelve. He ran off around the corner after I tried to collar him when he put the leaflet through my door.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

who wants to see the most cursed kieth content possible?

https://twitter.com/Queers4Keir/status/1389854363259125763?s=20

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jose posted:

They managed to make am even worse clamped calves post, my god

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jose posted:

lol insane

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Queef for Keith

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
he's a cop

you'd have to be battered and cuffed before he'd dream of loving you

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1390195638034391041?s=20

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

trying to get any handle on the PCC candidates is so stupid, every personal statement is a markov bot variation of More Cops Less crime etc

should be like desert island discs when they started giving everyone the bible and complete works of shakespeare automatically

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the independent candidate for PCC for me was some nhs doctor who talked about how stopping causes of crime such as poverty vs the others who were more cops more cops more cops. the labour candidate was hot though

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Jel Shaker posted:

trying to get any handle on the PCC candidates is so stupid, every personal statement is a markov bot variation of More Cops Less crime etc

should be like desert island discs when they started giving everyone the bible and complete works of shakespeare automatically

This is the tory candidate for Leicestershire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Matthews

quote:

Matthews was educated at Esher Grammar School and worked as a freelance writer and journalist. He has written over 170 books on history, ghosts, cryptozoology, UFOs, paranormal activity, guides to the UK and children's stories. Matthews is the editorial director and a shareholder of Bretwalda Books.

Matthews has also run an online course about the paranormal for the International Metaphysical University, on whose website he was described as a 'Professor' until mid-January 2012

I'm quite excited about the possibility the police budget will be redirected towards a new Ghost Busters service. I would also settle for some kind of anime-style Shinigami department.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

90s Cringe Rock posted:

cop train

central police brutality force at cop station ready to be deployed anywhere on the country on shorter notice than usual in a train with a flag on (the flag snaps off when they go through a tunnel) (it's not actually nationalised)

Already done:

bedpan posted:

Setting brexit and antisemitism aside, here is the updated list of jezza's many crimes. According to the press at the time, he has been an energetic wrongdoer.

• is too poorly dressed to be in parliament
  • is an agent of the IRA/corbyn helped assassinate mountbatten
  • was an agent of the czech intelligence service during the soviet era
  • did a hit and run on a pedestrian
  • will send all tory voters to reeducation camps
  • is an agent of Vladimir Putin
  • had sex with a black woman in the 70s
  • too old and frail
  • rides a maoist bicycle
  • killed a baby rabbit while jumping on a pogo stick
  • didn't bow properly to a cenotaph
  • is trying to seize power by wearing a tie
  • is going to get rid of nuclear weapons and hurt british security
  • attempted to derail the peace process in northern ireland
  • his parent's had money which makes his political stances a fraud
  • allied with hamas and hizbollah/supports terrorism in the middle east
  • wants to hug and kiss maduro and chavez
  • loves iran and anyone "antiwestern"
  • is transparently a con man pushing leftism for personal power and gain
  • didn't record a christmas message for the troops
  • was opposed to the apartheid government in South Africa
  • didn't bow to the queen
  • is insufficiently sincere when singing the national anthem
  • is an agent of "high minded millennials and woke corporations"
  • supports fidel castro
  • likes the Islamic State
  • said bad things about britian's empire
  • doesn't support the troops at bagram airforce base and Guantánamo Bay
  • pals around with and supports terrorist organizations
  • didn't support the war in afghanistan or iraq
  • is being investigated by MI5
  • won't pass a background check and has aides that are security risks
  • will harm the British intelligence services
  • is antiwar
  • is anti-immigrant
  • spoke against Saudi Arabia's war in Yemen
  • likes Adolf Hitler
  • wants to bring back the cold war
  • betrayed the labour party
  • wears russian hats (thanks BBC)
  • hates women
  • sells secrets to the Soviets
  • worked for the Stasi
  • is an agent of George Soros
  • is a fascist
  • fundraises for terrorists
  • was involved in the murder of a soviet spy
  • organized a burglary of the parliament building
  • is soft on crime
  • wants you to die in a stabbing

Manufacturing consent works. It absolutely works.

You can also add:

• went near (but not to) Trotsky's house during a visit to Mexico
  • was unimpressed by Viennese architecture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
there's no thin blue line on that train

no flag either