Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

im gonna have to naysay this unless you have a study backing it up, lol. seems both gross and possibly an ineffective home remedy

e: wait this isn't the COVID thread.

I know people who do this for scuba masks and facial hair. It isn't completely crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A valuable tip if you have been looking for excuses to go out in public all greased up.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I know people who do this for scuba masks and facial hair. It isn't completely crazy.

alright well if you're willing to scuba dive while trusting your mask seal to vaseline then I will unironically give it to you, because that seems like the kind of thing you'd only do if you were absolutely sure it worked lmao

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
re: vasline we're talking about stubble, right? Not full beards. I pretty much gave up on n95s and avoiding lung cancer.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

im gonna have to naysay this unless you have a study backing it up, lol. seems both gross and possibly an ineffective home remedy

e: wait this isn't the COVID thread.

That it is not.
And note, I’m not saying do this for a long time. But I’ve found it makes a pretty good seal for short times underwater, and I’ve tried it above water with cartridge respirators on and it has worked ... fairly well?
I passed a respirator fit check, but they still wouldn’t let me be approved for use, it was part of a discussion I was having with the health and safety guy I sat next to.
Tl;dr: don’t trust your life with it, but it’s probably okay? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

E: I did it with about 1cm long beard hair. I’m a bit longer than that now and I probably would try it, but not trust it.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 7, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ranter posted:

re: vasline we're talking about stubble, right? Not full beards. I pretty much gave up on n95s and avoiding lung cancer.

You'd rather take the bullet and die horribly and young from lung cancer than... shave? I don't understand

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Beards are great, yo.
That’s all there is to it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can grow the beard back, but not your lungs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You underestimate my power.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Lung tissue isn't that hard to grow. It's the vasculature and implantation that is the real trick.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Cup Runneth Over posted:

alright well if you're willing to scuba dive while trusting your mask seal to vaseline then I will unironically give it to you, because that seems like the kind of thing you'd only do if you were absolutely sure it worked lmao

Not at all. Masks often leak even without facial hair and that doesn't affect your ability to breathe. And you can test that kind of thing just below the surface.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

redreader posted:

Not at all. Masks often leak even without facial hair and that doesn't affect your ability to breathe. And you can test that kind of thing just below the surface.

Yeah to be honest I'm not entirely sure how Vaseline would really help. I don't usually have much facial hair, but it's hard to envision how it would interfere with a mask (since it covers your eyes). Even if it did, a flooded mask is both normal and not a serious problem. The regulator having a seal issue wouldn't be fixed by Vaseline since it goes into your mouth, and dealing with it popping out is a normal issue.

Maybe a full face mask would be a different issue, I'm not familiar with using them. You'd think that Vaseline wouldn't last long underwater, which would make it a concerningly temporary solution to leakage even if it was one.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 7, 2021

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Silicone gel is typically a better choice than vaseline. I think I've read somewhere that petrolatum can dry out some rubbers?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You'd rather take the bullet and die horribly and young from lung cancer than... shave? I don't understand

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No, one cannot grow a beard this magnificent back in 6 months, which is how long we have in-between cancer-air seasons now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I use the wax ring you have to put down when installing toilets

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I for one am relieved that fire smoke is the only thing known to the state of California to cause cancer!!!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Centrist Committee posted:

I for one am relieved that fire smoke is the only thing known to the state of California to cause cancer!!!

That reminds me, we should really get a new thread title

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

California Politics Thread: This thread is known to the State of California to cause cancer

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 7, 2021

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shear Modulus posted:

California Politics Thread: This thread of known to the State of California to cause forums cancer

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ReidRansom posted:

Silicone gel is typically a better choice than vaseline. I think I've read somewhere that petrolatum can dry out some rubbers?

Do not use silicone based gel or lubes with silicone masks, it will eat the material.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Oh right. I'd forgotten about that and it could be quite important, haha.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Shear Modulus posted:

California Politics Thread: This thread is known to the State of California to cause forums cancer

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Shear Modulus posted:

California Politics Thread: This thread is known to the State of California to cause cancer

moderadores, por favor

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Shear Modulus posted:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Man, I was going through some policy documents recently for work and saw this graph put out by the city of berkeley on their housing stock vintage:

It is just wild how little has been done in the past 50 years (100, if you want to look at the last peak).

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

El Mero Mero posted:

Man, I was going through some policy documents recently for work and saw this graph put out by the city of berkeley on their housing stock vintage:

It is just wild how little has been done in the past 50 years (100, if you want to look at the last peak).

Now overlay the hyper commoditization of housing 'real estate value' data over the top, I bet it's the inverse.

droll fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 7, 2021

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ReidRansom posted:

Oh right. I'd forgotten about that and it could be quite important, haha.

don't forget the sex toy rules

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

El Mero Mero posted:

Jesus, it's even worse than I thought

But no, I'm sure the problems are purely because of greedy landlords/developers, not that we don't have enough housing to go around

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Cicero posted:

But no, I'm sure the problems are purely because of greedy landlords/developers, not that we don't have enough housing to go around

The former causes the latter

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It seems there is monetary incentive to not build for entrenched voting power AND development money. Why build to lower prices

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

droll posted:

The former causes the latter
Nah. It's landowners who are enough votes to sway the regulations.

Goodpancakes posted:

It seems there is monetary incentive to not build for entrenched voting power AND development money. Why build to lower prices
That would require a cartel. Do you see developers doing this in places like Phoenix or Atlanta that permit endless suburban sprawl to try and raise prices? Nope, they can't help but build.

Leftists focus in on landlords and developers because they're easy ideological targets, but the idea that they're the root cause doesn't make any sense. Here's a comprehensive list of cities where landlords and developers aren't greedy:

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Cicero posted:

Nah. It's landowners

Nah, it's actually even simpler; It's the commodification of housing under Capitalism. Housing has been a crisis for workers for hundreds of years. It never stopped. And now we have hyper commodification of housing after the post-WW2 boom ended.

But yeh, silly leftists *rolls eyes*

P.S. A landlord is a landowner lol

droll fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 7, 2021

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

And yet, there are plenty of other parts of the country where housing is more reasonably priced. And other countries that manage to have saner housing prices even in megametros, even with capitalism.

droll posted:

P.S. A landlord is a landowner lol
Duh. But most landowners aren't landlords. [Landlords + developers] without other landowners isn't that many votes.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

droll posted:

Nah, it's actually even simpler; It's the commodification of housing under Capitalism. Housing has been a crisis for workers for hundreds of years. It never stopped. And now we have hyper commoditization of housing after the post-WW2 boom ended.

But yeh, silly leftists *rolls eyes*

I mean, a "commodity" is generally marked by standardization, wide availability, substitutability, and cheapness (think "corn"). Making something a commodity almost always drives down the price of production to nearly collapse levels of cheapness.

Actual housing meets basically none of those definitions.

Now if you're talking about mortgages and other financial products, that's pretty true! Too bad the production of financial products is totally disconnected from the production of real world goods.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Commodification, not commoditization. I fixed my post.

Cicero posted:

And yet, there are plenty of other parts of the country where housing is more reasonably priced. And other countries that manage to have saner housing prices even in megametros, even with capitalism.

Housing (un)affordability and homelessness has been increasing around the country and globe. This is a weird argument you're trying to make. Why do landowners, landlords, developers and the State prevent more housing being built?

droll fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 7, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oh my loving god are we going to have the landlord vs. homeowner flamewar again.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kenning posted:

Oh my loving god are we going to have the landlord vs. homeowner flamewar again.

i mean you were warned, there was a prop 65 warning on this page and everything

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Kenning posted:

No I don't think so, I think OP was just being a bit pedantic. I think we all agree that landlords are landowners, and landowners and developers and the State are making housing unaffordable around the planet. I just want to understand why they think all of the earlier mentioned are doing it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

wont someone please think of the landlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

droll posted:

Why do landowners, landlords, developers and the State prevent more housing being built?
Many, many landowners vote for people who prevent more housing being built to prop up property values and preserve "my neighborhood character" (aka keep out the poors), this isn't news

edit: the point isn't that landlords are great, it's that they're a sideshow. Build enough housing and their power to command high rent prices disappears, and then it doesn't matter how greedy they are

Cicero fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 8, 2021