Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

This is good, Tories hoped to take it. SNP candidate is also very pro trans rights.

It's just extremely sad you have to check which side your SNP MSP is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Xeno posted:

Maybe you could dress up good left policies in a bit of racism? More social housing, but only for local people. Free broadband, but the Daily Mail is set as everyone's homepage.
Then you get the BNP, which ran economically to the left of Labour in 2001 and 2005, but socially was :ohno:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Very chuffed with my old home in Hillsborough getting shot of those loving Labour chancers.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
You do wonder if the PLP are shrieking, "What the gently caress are you doing" at Starmer in private or if they're fully complicit in their own slaughter

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Aramoro posted:

It's just extremely sad you have to check which side your SNP MSP is on.

Can say the same for all of the parties to be fair (except the Greens since Andy Wightman purged himself).

Early indications Alba polling 2% in Alex Salmond heartland, which should bag them in the range of 0 to gently caress all MSPs.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 7, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
they're just delusional fuckwits lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This article is incredible:

https://twitter.com/joshhalliday/status/1390664951321219081?s=21

quote:

Labour head office was “obsessed with us getting a flag”, said one organiser, bemoaning what they felt was a lack of substance to justify it. “There was no fleshing out what the flag means, or what policies have changed because we’re now patriotic. It was just: bung a flag up.”

A fortnight before polling day, party activists were told to hand out St George’s flag leaflets urging voters to “display this poster with pride in your window”. Labour, a party searching for direction after 11 years out of power, wrapped itself in the flag to try win back voters who deserted it over Brexit and Jeremy Corbyn. The plan failed.

Labour insiders sensed a “misplaced confidence” in Starmer’s approach to the byelection. Williams was appointed by the national executive committee without contest and the byelection date was set for the same day as the mayoral and council elections, arguably making Labour’s task more difficult against the popularity of Houchen. The date “never crossed their minds - they thought they were gonna win”, said one activist of Starmer’s team.

The selection of Jim McMahon, the shadow transport secretary, to run the byelection campaign also raised eyebrows. One of his ideas, he told a parliamentary Labour party meeting, was to urge Hartlepudlians to forego their usual summer holidays and stay in Hartlepool instead. “Toes were curling. The WhatsApp group just lit up with people saying: ‘What the hell is going on?’” Another “crackpot idea” was having Williams hand out heart-shaped stickers encouraging people to support local businesses. “It’s parish council stuff, not a parliamentary byelection,” said one Labour fixer.

The St George’s leaflets were also Labour HQ’s idea. Speaking to the Guardian shortly after conceding defeat live on Sky News at 3am on Friday, McMahon defended Labour’s campaign and said he found it “staggering that there’s anyone in politics who believes you can aspire to be the government of a country when you’re not proud to fly its flag”. He said recovering from Labour’s “devastating” 2019 campaign was a long-term project and that the party was “doing the right thing in the right way at the right time”.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Starmer has collapsed Labour support in LIVERPOOL

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1390669110204305408?s=19

Amazing stuff.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Can say the same for all of the parties to be fair (except the Greens since Andy Wightman purged himself).

I just assume the Torys are all TERF and who cares about Labour.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm devastated by the events of last night. My PSU died and in the process of replacing it my GPU joined it. Trying to fix *that* today broke my 6TB HDD power socket.

This is going to take time and money to fix god drat it!!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Xeno posted:

Extremely depressed today. Shall drink into oblivion. Cheers UKMT.

Maybe you could dress up good left policies in a bit of racism? More social housing, but only for local people. Free broadband, but the Daily Mail is set as everyone's homepage.

The Labour Party are not worth getting depressed over

That said, take care of yourself, ok?

Tesseraction posted:

I'm devastated by the events of last night. My PSU died and in the process of replacing it my GPU joined it. Trying to fix *that* today broke my 6TB HDD power socket.

This is going to take time and money to fix god drat it!!

this, though :rip:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

u brexit ukip it posted:

Interesting result though in Banffshire and Buchan Coast which is more rural - SNP hold, but down 10% with CON up 10%, resulting in a 700-vote majority for the SNP (or 2.3%).

Yeah, but it's also worth looking at the UK-wide elections since 2016. The Tories won the closest equivalent constituency in 2017 & held it in 2019. The first time they'd won an MP in Banff & Buchan since 1987. It's the strongest pro-Brexit constituency in Scotland, Fraserburgh & Peterhead are basically the centre of Scottish North Sea fishing. So while it is very narrow but I wouldn't expect that swing to hold in many other places.

Xeno posted:

Extremely depressed today. Shall drink into oblivion. Cheers UKMT.

Labour being destroyed is good. You need to knock down a rotten building for you can build something better in its place.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Amazing stuff.

Oh huh, the Indy doing so well was a Labour guy who left over the Iraq War, has worked in charity for decades helping disadvantaged kids.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Gonzo McFee posted:

Amazing stuff.

Who is Stephen Yip and whats his deal?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I just said!!!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tesseraction posted:

Oh huh, the Indy doing so well was a Labour guy who left over the Iraq War, has worked in charity for decades helping disadvantaged kids.

sounds pretty antisemitic to me

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Amazing stuff.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He promised to work for one term, take only 1/4 of the salary (rest to charity) and reshuffle the local government to be smaller (from 90 seats to 30 seats) and more democratically accountable. Honestly he means well but I think he's a bit galaxy brained about how elected government should work.

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Amazing stuff.

yeah Steven Yip seems quite popular here, Joanne Anderson seems alright too tbf altho having almost the exact same name as Chippy Tits couldn't have helped. Liverpool is obviously pro labour but I'd say moreso to the left of Labour. Corbyn was loving huge here no ones arsed about Starmer or actively dislike him. Sure he's got his fans here but they're probably more on the Wirral.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In a statement on the poor showing for Labour in Liverpool the LOTO's spokesman called Liverpool "a bunch of helium-voiced poofs who wouldn't know electability if it hosed their mother"

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, but it's also worth looking at the UK-wide elections since 2016. The Tories won the closest equivalent constituency in 2017 & held it in 2019. The first time they'd won an MP in Banff & Buchan since 1987. It's the strongest pro-Brexit constituency in Scotland, Fraserburgh & Peterhead are basically the centre of Scottish North Sea fishing. So while it is very narrow but I wouldn't expect that swing to hold in many other places.

That's good, thanks for the clarification.

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

Tesseraction posted:

In a statement on the poor showing for Labour in Liverpool the LOTO's spokesman called Liverpool "a bunch of helium-voiced poofs who wouldn't know electability if it hosed their mother"

I know this is a joke but I poo poo you not one of the people involved with dealing with Antisemitism in Labour implied that most scousers are anti semetic cause there's a large catholic population. Ofc statistics show that's just not true, still deffo is antisemitism here but it's no worse than any other city

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The idea that any English city is more anti-Semitic than another is pretty weird to me. England is racist through and through no need to make it a competition y'all.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

First gain, SNP pick up East Lothian from Labour

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1390681648660877314?s=20

Number 5 on the SNP target list.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
First constituency in Scotland giving its list result in prime Alex Salmond country, and alba are on two loving percent lol

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1390680860953874432

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Crispix will be heart broken

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You missed another gem:

quote:

The Tories rained knockout blows on Labour’s candidate, the GP and former MP Paul Williams, for his anti-Brexit views and his role on a clinical commissioning group that backed calls to remove critical care from Hartlepool’s once-cherished hospital. Both issues are key in Hartlepool, and Labour was punished on the doorstep. “Paul is the worst candidate they could’ve found for Hartlepool bar none,” said one senior local Tory. “They picked Teesside’s most ardent remainer in a very Brexity town”.

Tories better at Labour electability than the Labour Right lol.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Absolute car crash interview from Starmer on BBC News rn

e: the state of it:

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1390686617199906820?s=20

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 7, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Answers Me posted:

Absolute car crash interview from Starmer on BBC News rn

Hope he follows it up with an actual car crash. loving bastard.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Gort posted:

You do wonder if the PLP are shrieking, "What the gently caress are you doing" at Starmer in private or if they're fully complicit in their own slaughter

oh they know

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1390625762257035266

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

And well done to them for finally asking the question I've been asking for 18 months

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
did we ever bung a bob for big ben to bong for brexit

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SNP hold Caithness, Sutherland & Ross, which is notable as it was the closest thing to a Liberal target & they were touting their candidate as the next Charlie Kennedy, while the Nat was a list MSP who was replacing a stepping down MSP.

I'm going to bore the gently caress out of this thread today & tomorrow, even more than usual.

And of course Sturgeon thumps Anus Sarwar badly, winning 61% in the constituency that Glasgow Rangers call their home, which never won't make me grin. Nicola's constituency office was at the bottom of a road with an Orange Order lodge & one of the worst Rangers pubs in the city.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The sad thing is that the ghouls behind the destruction will happily walk out of there and into consultancies and board positions. Even if Labour do recover they'll be a loving wreck during the closing window of action where we could actually do something about climate change or the onslaught of tech automation.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The fash candidate in Glasgow Southside got 45 votes :D

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Gonzo McFee posted:

Is this the same council that had the trotskyist budget showdown with Thatcher around 1985/86 before Kinnock betrayed them?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1390685349341548547

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

and always twirling twirling

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/joolsd/status/1390685581500366858?s=19

It's amazing how alienating your core voters makes them not vote for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/joolsd/status/1390685581500366858?s=19

It's amazing how alienating your core voters makes them not vote for you.

This is going to be a massacre, holy moley. Has Labour gained ground anywhere this year?