Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Y'all are thinking about it wrong. Instead of going through all the work of carrying a rock up the mountain, just huck the rock from the top off the side of the mountain. Boom. "Last person to ever summit Everest" record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Use explosives to make it shorter than K2.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Zero One posted:

This guy gets it.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Dik Hz posted:

Y'all are thinking about it wrong. Instead of going through all the work of carrying a rock up the mountain, just huck the rock from the top off the side of the mountain. Boom. "Last person to ever summit Everest" record.

Rock and ladder meta is outdated, sea level manipulation is where it's really at.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You should get points based on the altitude a gps receiver says. You have to hold it in your hand, so no placing it at the end of a stick and holding it up in the air.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

CubicalSucrose posted:

Rock and ladder meta is outdated, sea level manipulation is where it's really at.

Drink a lot while ascending, quickly descend to sea level, raise it via urination?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Send basketball superstars to the mountains!

Also IANAMC but I have a feeling that prodigious height is not an advantage in mountain climbing

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Zero One posted:

While people are climbing. Random rocket strikes all over the mountain.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Zero One posted:

This really would warm my cold brittle heart

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Colonel Cancer posted:

Send basketball superstars to the mountains!

Also IANAMC but I have a feeling that prodigious height is not an advantage in mountain climbing

install a vertical jump test at the summit

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

CubicalSucrose posted:

Sea level rises from climate change are going to render every record unbeatable within the next 5-100 years in that case

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

a mysterious cloak posted:

While people are climbing. Random rocket strikes all over the mountain.

The Mount Hebron Challenge

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The himalayas are rising at a rate of around 1cm a year, which is faster than the rate of sea level rise. However, the steeper they get, the faster erosion happens (that's just a mechanical fact of how water and wind erosion works) and I can't find a specific rate of erosion for the tallest peaks in the himalayas. It might well be enough to put uplift vs. sea level rise back in favor of the sea?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sounds like China's stopping all ascents of Everest on their side.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zero One posted:

KSR did it.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Dik Hz posted:

This guy's way ahead of you https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-32053132 just not with a peak that matters.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Budgie posted:

This guy's way ahead of you https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-32053132 just not with a peak that matters.

Is the stone he took part of a marker or monument, or just some random stone off the mountain?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this thread will like this article

https://www.macleans.ca/longforms/layton-keddy-bicycle-australian-bush/

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

"I will find my limit!"

<bones are found 70 years later>

Mission accomplished.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I liked the part about the button man but the rest of it sucked because the biker lived

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I hear laughter is the best medicine.

Climbing guide says at least 100 virus cases on Everest

quote:

KATHMANDU, Nepal (AP) — An expert climbing guide said Saturday that a coronavirus outbreak on Mount Everest has infected at least 100 climbers and support staff, giving the first comprehensive estimate amid official Nepalese denials of a COVID-19 cluster on the world’s highest peak.

Lukas Furtenbach of Austria, who last week became the only prominent outfitter to halt his Everest expedition due to virus fears, said one of his foreign guides and six Nepali Sherpa guides have tested positive.

“I think with all the confirmed cases we know now — confirmed from (rescue) pilots, from insurance, from doctors, from expedition leaders — I have the positive tests so we can prove this,” Furtenbach told The Associated Press in Nepal’s capital, Kathmandu.

“We have at least 100 people minimum positive for COVID in base camp, and then the numbers might be something like 150 or 200,” he said.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

quote:

Keddy broke his toothbrush in half. He cut the tags off his clothes. He removed the buckles from his backpack. He planned to carry as little weight as possible for this biking adventure

quote:

Then he packed his camera gear to film the trip. Finally, just before shutting off his phone and setting out from Marysville, he wrote a lengthy note and posted it on Instagram.

:jerkbag:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's a documentary on Netflix about the two guys who did the Dawn Wall ascent, and holy poo poo it opens with a loving bananas story of one of them going to Kyrgystan with his girlfriend and getting kidnapped by rebels for a week and he has to loving shove one of the captors off a cliff so they could escape.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

You have to jump at the top. Only the person with the highest vertical can say they have a true summit.

has anyone ever built a human pyramid at the summit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Someone forgot to tell the virus that it doesn’t spread outdoors and isn’t a threat to the rich and healthy.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's spreading in tents ly.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

There's a documentary on Netflix about the two guys who did the Dawn Wall ascent, and holy poo poo it opens with a loving bananas story of one of them going to Kyrgystan with his girlfriend and getting kidnapped by rebels for a week and he has to loving shove one of the captors off a cliff so they could escape.

The guy he pushed over survived, and held no grudges what so ever

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

djssniper posted:

The guy he pushed over survived, and held no grudges what so ever

Oh wow.

He might have been the only militant to survive that expedition. 2 of the 4 got killed by the military, one of them wandered off in search of food and didn't return, one got thrown off a cliff

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

not everest but similar vibe

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/24/china-ultramarathon-inquiry-launched-after-21-runners-die-in-cold-weather

quote:

China ultramarathon: inquiry launched after 21 runners die in cold weather

Race organisers accused of not heeding warnings after rain, hail, and gale-force winds forecast across Gansu province

Chinese authorities have launched an investigation into the death of 21 people in an ultramarathon over the weekend, as family and friends of the competitors who died in the freezing weather questioned how it was allowed to happen.

A further eight runners were injured when extreme weather hit the 100km (62 miles) high-altitude race in Yellow River Stone Forest near Baiyin in north-western Gansu province. More than 700 rescuers were sent in with thermal imaging drones and radar detectors to find the 172 competitors who were running with little protective clothing other than emergency foil blankets, some of which were reportedly shredded by high winds.

Local authorities have launched an investigation, while observers blamed race organisers, accusing them of not heeding weather forecasts for the province, which is often hit by extreme weather conditions.

In a report on Friday, the provincial meteorological bureau had issued warnings for “sudden heavy showers, hail, lightning, [and] sudden gale-force winds” across Gansu. State media reported temperatures plunging far below zero, pelting runners with rain, hail and sleet.

In response to the tragedy, China’s sports governing body ordered improvements in safety managements in national sport events, including detailed contingency plans for incidents and measures for emergency cancellations, saying there were “problems and deficiencies” in the management model for races.

Among the dead were elite runners, including the 31-year-old record-holder Liang Jing, who leaves behind a two-year-old daughter, and the Paralympian Huang Ganjun.

Liang had won a number of Chinese ultramarathons in recent years while Huang won the men’s hearing-impaired marathon at the 2019 National Paralympic Games.

“I’m still stunned by the news. How could this happen? I can not believe it,” Liang’s father told media.

Of the lead six competitors, only one – Zhang Xiaotao – reportedly survived. In a post on Weibo, Zhang described overtaking Huang, who was both speech and hearing impaired, on the mountain as the weather began to turn. He also described running with Wu Pan-rong who was in fifth place, for a time, supporting each other before they were separated. Wu is also reported to be among the dead.

Zhang said he fell several times, and at one point “could not get up”. He said he covered himself with the emergency blanket and set off his GPS locator before passing out.

He said he was rescued by a shepherd who had wrapped him in a blanket and carried him to a nearby cave, where several other runners were sheltering. After he regained consciousness, they descended the mountain together.

“As a participant, I would like to pay my deepest condolence to my fellow runners who have passed away. May they rest in peace. My utmost appreciation to the shepherd. I would have died if he has not saved me. What he has done will never be forgotten.”

The incident has prompted outrage on social media. Related Weibo hashtags and message threads have been viewed more than 120m times, with some calling it a “man-made disaster”.

“It is suffocating to know that this could had been avoided. It is purely a man-made tragedy,” said a story reporting Huang’s death.

At a news briefing on Sunday, Baiyin officials bowed and apologised, saying they were saddened by the tragic deaths of the runners and that they were to be blamed.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Holy poo poo lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That's loving awful drat

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they didn't have like, vans and poo poo following the runners???

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Similar thing happened in Europe a couple years ago. High altitude marathon, cold, death. Not that high of a bodycount though. RIP.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Sounds more like the organisers are to blame here, not so much the participants.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I take it nobody won that one?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
We all won- by not going.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

hawowanlawow posted:

They mention parts where they were on small stone/dirt trails in the mountains so I don't imagine that was possible

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

hawowanlawow posted:

Trail ultras can't generally have that kind of support. Instead, at least in Europe, the list of required gear is sufficient to enable you to survive freak weather incidents. On long trail runs off the grid it is not unheard of to include (as required gear) a tent and sleeping bag for example. With the expressed purpose of allowing you to survive for a day or two alone.

Then again, if runners more or less blew off the mountain I'm not sure any reasonable gear would have helped. Maybe don't have the track be that dangerous?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
21 dead jfc. Almost beggars belief how that could be possible. I've never even heard of a death toll like that for an ultramarathon, even those desert ones where inevitably some people peg it from heat exhaustion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Just looking at the satellite maps of the place and it's looks like there's hardly a tree to stand under for 40+ miles in any direction.

Yellow River Hoodoo National Geopark 黄河石林国家地质公园 in that area looks like an amazing place to visit.