Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronic posted:

I'm voting for "electrician only changed the outlets and did nothing else."

Same. The odd thing is that the problem we had had, which was that running the microwave and the air conditioner simultaneously tripped the breaker, stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Same. The odd thing is that the problem we had had, which was that running the microwave and the air conditioner simultaneously tripped the breaker, stopped.

Likely due to the outlet for the AC being trashed and high resistance either on the actual outlet/plug connection or the outlet's connection to the wiring.

Outlets absolutely do go bad and a lot of is has to do with the number of times stuff has been plugged/unplugged as well as simple age/filth/corrosion.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Also don't use the stab connectors. I've seen many a charred outlet because someone was doing it the easy/fast way.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Allegedly the electrician for my house didn't connect the AC wires to the furnace so the unit outside never turned on. Called the builder to come down and he was like, "he always does this" What? Is this the pranks? It's gonna be 30C tomorrow and around there over the next few days. I don't need these pranks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Allegedly the electrician for my house didn't connect the AC wires to the furnace so the unit outside never turned on. Called the builder to come down and he was like, "he always does this" What? Is this the pranks? It's gonna be 30C tomorrow and around there over the next few days. I don't need these pranks.

The bonus to that is now you know for sure there was never a proper startup done. Are the pressures/refrigerant level gonna be right? Who knows!

You should demand a proper HVAC pro to come do the system startup and confirm everything.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Motronic posted:

Likely due to the outlet for the AC being trashed and high resistance either on the actual outlet/plug connection or the outlet's connection to the wiring.

Outlets absolutely do go bad and a lot of is has to do with the number of times stuff has been plugged/unplugged as well as simple age/filth/corrosion.

I'd be worried he changed the breaker out to a higher current one, say a 30A on 12ga, that should run the AC and some kitchen appliances.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elviscat posted:

I'd be worried he changed the breaker out to a higher current one, say a 30A on 12ga, that should run the AC and some kitchen appliances.

Ohhhh...yeah, I didn't think about outright unsafe poo poo like that. And I really should have.

So...Arsenic Lupin......you might just want to take a look at which breaker that is and make sure it's not......I'm gonna guess here based on no grounds.....more than a 15.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Check out the tilework in my new house! :cry:

Somebody ran out of sponges, or upper-body strength

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 17, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Somebody ran out of sponges, or upper-body strength

Got the grout on, I'll just crack a beer while it sets up enough to sponge.

*24 beers later*

:tootzzz:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

Also don't use the stab connectors. I've seen many a charred outlet because someone was doing it the easy/fast way.

If I am making an electrical connection that is meant to last longer than a day, I solder and tape. No wire nuts ever

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Bloop posted:

If I am making an electrical connection that is meant to last longer than a day, I solder and tape. No wire nuts ever

In....uh....residential? :what:

fakeedit: have you heard the word of our lord wago

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Bloop posted:

On house wiring? Because solder and tape is not a code compliant splicing method anymore.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Anywhere.

My dad was an electrician and a very belt and suspenders type guy

Everything gets rear end-and-a-halfed

(He was not a residential electrician by trade, no. Shipyard)

Not like I do a lot of wiring lately. I've rented for twenty years

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is one of those things where you're spending way more time and effort to do things in a way that you think is better, but it's still just wrong (for resi wiring).

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

SyNack Sassimov posted:

fakeedit: have you heard the word of our lord wago

Are waygos generally considered to be pretty good? I’ve been using them around the house instead of wire nuts and they seem perfectly fine, but my neighbor thinks they’re going to burn my house down. He’s an old crank so I haven’t been too worried but it’s always good to get a second opinion

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Name brand Wagos are fine, knockoffs like the ones Ideal makes are horrible and might burn your house down.

E: because Wagos use a lever to ensure a solid mechanical connection, other push-to-connects are spring pressure only and I've seen them burn open on short circuits without tripping the breaker (on a reputable panel, not like a Stab-Lok) multiple times, they work on the same principle as the "back-stabber" outlets of infamy.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 17, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I really hate them for solid to solid connections, but they're great when using stranded wire or for pigtailing light fixtures to solid wire.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I really hate them for solid to solid connections, but they're great when using stranded wire or for pigtailing light fixtures to solid wire.

I'd rather a good twist and a marette for solid to solid connection too, but sometimes a Wago gives you the extra space you need in a box and even more importantly can save/extend a wire cut too short. I've got a box of various sizes that come out when I need a dirty trick.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

kastein posted:

Light fixtures are all I’ve been using them (name brand lever type) for — sounds like I’m okay but it’s not time to throw out my wire nuts

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

sounds like I’m okay but it’s not time to throw out my wire nuts

Definitely not. Even if just for cost purposes. But i think a properly mechanically connected and then wire nutted connection is basically still the time -tested standard.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I will admit, as much as I hate them, I still used the included push-to-connects when they were included in can lights.

And yeah, definitely invaluable for getting a connection to the 1" of wire some rear end in a top hat left in a box.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronic posted:

Ohhhh...yeah, I didn't think about outright unsafe poo poo like that. And I really should have.

So...Arsenic Lupin......you might just want to take a look at which breaker that is and make sure it's not......I'm gonna guess here based on no grounds.....more than a 15.

Thanks for suggesting I look. Every circuit in the house, except the dryer and the garage store opener, is on a 20-amp breaker.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Elviscat posted:

I will admit, as much as I hate them, I still used the included push-to-connects when they were included in can lights.

And yeah, definitely invaluable for getting a connection to the 1" of wire some rear end in a top hat left in a box.

Lights are ok. It's outlets that are bad because they make and break contact when plugging and unplugging stuff. That results in sparking, degredation, and corrosion which will cause it to fail prematurely.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!

Motronic posted:

Definitely not. Even if just for cost purposes. But i think a properly mechanically connected and then wire nutted connection is basically still the time -tested standard.

Isn't the US/Canada pretty much the only place where wire nuts are allowed?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Phanatic posted:

If they're properly tightened, taped, and within a enclosure that's clamped on the non-stripped wire and well tightened to a stud, it should never be an issue.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Phanatic posted:

also true for truck nuts

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Empty Sandwich posted:

also true for truck nuts

Truck nuts are invaluable in identifying people you should never interact with.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

Yes, I believe so.

Here, we've always used these that tighten down with screws, you can get a really solid connection:

You snip off however many you need for what you're doing, and they fit onto holders in standard junction boxes.

For smaller connections, these are used, or single-hole versions if you're just connecting two smaller wires together:

Wago-style lever connectors have become popular, but they're significantly more expensive.

Crimped connections are also technically OK for 230V, but I don't like them.

Blistex posted:

If they're properly tightened, taped, and within a enclosure that's clamped on the non-stripped wire and well tightened to a stud, it should never be an issue.

:ohdear:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 17, 2021

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They are only Marrettes if they are from the Sault Ste. Marie region of Canada, otherwise they're just Sparking Wire Nuts.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wago connectors are a life saver if you’re trying to install fat rear end smart light switches into an already crowded junction box.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
rambling discussion over 10 years, but this info is interesting:

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/10144/why-are-wire-nuts-not-used-in-the-uk

looks as though it's a matter of preference rather than code.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Do you think it was genetics that made someone do this? Possibly in their genes?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:lol: this is so goddamned stupid and i love it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Do you think it was genetics that made someone do this? Possibly in their genes?

When Jay Leno does your remodel

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/485-Park-St-Peterborough-ON-K9H-4R5/2071171368_zpid/
they did this bullshit to a poor old house but didn't repair or replace the balcony..

quality work

ugh

oops we ran out of ugly wood so we'll just have the perfectly fine original trim in this one room, as a treat

and just ignore the backyard aside from laying some planks in front of the back door for the saddest deck

How about this "fall down the stairs and straight out a second story window"

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Didn't even use raw denim smdh

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

n0tqu1tesane posted:

How about this "fall down the stairs and straight out a second story window"

I see Grover moved on to new pastures of design.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

SkyeAuroline posted:

I see Grover moved on to new pastures of design.

Motherfucker, i wanted to say that.
Easily my favourite feature of the Groverhaus.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Blistex posted:

You shouldn't be taping wire nuts, you should strip them to an appropriate length so the skirt covers any exposed conductor, the wire nut is just a spring to ensure the wires stay tightly twisted and an insulated covering. They're an excellent wire connection method when used properly.

Blistex posted:

Lights are ok. It's outlets that are bad because they make and break contact when plugging and unplugging stuff. That results in sparking, degredation, and corrosion which will cause it to fail prematurely.

Not really, the problem with outlets is the larger loads (think space heater) create more heat which fatigues the spring, causing more heat etc. Plugging and unplugging stuff shouldn't effect the backstabs, however, the spring contacts on the outlet part are much, much beefier than the ones in the back for the wiring method, which maybe should have given the designers pause.

KozmoNaut posted:

Yes, I believe so.

Here, we've always used these that tighten down with screws, you can get a really solid connection:

You snip off however many you need for what you're doing, and they fit onto holders in standard junction boxes.

For smaller connections, these are used, or single-hole versions if you're just connecting two smaller wires together:

Wago-style lever connectors have become popular, but they're significantly more expensive.

Crimped connections are also technically OK for 230V, but I don't like them.

:ohdear:

Those chocolate-block style connectors are really awesome, and I wish they were common in the US. I think they're better than wire nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I don't think I've ever seen a correctly sized wire nut fail, but I suppose "correctly sized" is doing a lot of lifting in that sentence.