Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

Glenn thread basking in the glow of managing to still be better

It's kind of amazing how it manages to be the perfect foil for this thread. Even all the morons from the trump thread post there and get told off without any mod/ik intervention.

The only probe/ban that I remember is Oliwan telling people to kill themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

but you're still not going to answer the yes or no question, right?

jesus christ shut up you insufferable debate team nerd

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

CODChimera posted:

am i the only one that just thinks all of this is really weird?

not at all, you're very much not alone in that belief

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Mr. Lobe posted:

you know what, maybe he won't probate for every use of the r-word, I dunno. But I can promise you this, the r-word will end up being used orders of magnitudes less

I'm all for a harm reduction approach

it's just kind of weird that this flavius guy somehow causes people to use slurs. if they're unhappy with moderation and wanted to act out in protest they could also post goatse or keep calling him a pedophile or something. yet there seems to be something special about the r-word, such that when flavius just probates for use of the r-word you instantly get three pages that look like this one

this just seems like the bargaining stage of grief to me. okay, fine, we won't say it, but you have to reward us for it!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Glenn thread basking in the glow of managing to still be better

Huh okay I didn't even know that Mithridates and Calgacus was fake news. My level of familiarity with Roman history is Dan Carlin's series on the Republic and Mike Duncan's History of Rome, so thank you for putting this into context.

Mostly I was blown away by how directly he manages to frame the issue of historiography being as colored and "biased" as it is from how we know of it, and even just the attempt of trying to write a "people's history" of Rome is a hell of a rhetorical device, even if there's bound to be wide gaping holes in it.

I always got the feeling that Mithraicism was always more made up than an actual mystery cult, but it was wholesale fake? completely made up by the Roman state as their solar worship cut-in?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ferrinus posted:

it's just kind of weird that this flavius guy somehow causes people to use slurs. if they're unhappy with moderation and wanted to act out in protest they could also post goatse or keep calling him a pedophile or something. yet there seems to be something special about the r-word, such that when flavius just probates for use of the r-word you instantly get three pages that look like this one

this just seems like the bargaining stage of grief to me. okay, fine, we won't say it, but you have to reward us for it!

bad moderation brings out the worst in posters. tell me, do you think the current approach is working?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Mr. Lobe posted:

bad moderation brings out the worst in posters. tell me, do you think the current approach is working?

ferrinus loves the mods and wants to kiss them, and he supports them unconditionally

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Mr. Lobe posted:

i'm not sure how you define "is working". if the idea of a good ik vs. a bad mod is that the good ik will let the r-word slide sometimes while the bad mod won't, but about six people who don't normally post here will start compulsively using the r-world if the bad mod ever shows his face, then it seems like you get slur use in either situation

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

gradenko_2000 posted:

Huh okay I didn't even know that Mithridates and Calgacus was fake news. My level of familiarity with Roman history is Dan Carlin's series on the Republic and Mike Duncan's History of Rome, so thank you for putting this into context.

Mostly I was blown away by how directly he manages to frame the issue of historiography being as colored and "biased" as it is from how we know of it, and even just the attempt of trying to write a "people's history" of Rome is a hell of a rhetorical device, even if there's bound to be wide gaping holes in it.

Yeah it's a great approach to it and vastly preferable to all the traditional history of Rome that takes slumlord nobles at their word about morality and politics. The takedown of Cato's biases is really fun.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Victory Position posted:

I always got the feeling that Mithraicism was always more made up than an actual mystery cult, but it was wholesale fake? completely made up by the Roman state as their solar worship cut-in?

Mithridates -> King of Pontus
Caesar -> Queen of Biythnia
Mirthas -> Sol Invictus

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

a Loving Dog posted:

oh my loving god lol. it cannot be understated how much I hate these pathetic mods

Rent free :laugh:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

a Loving Dog posted:

ferrinus loves the mods and wants to kiss them, and he supports them unconditionally

quote:

“I must say in all conscience, comrades, that I do not deserve a good half of the flattering things that have been said here about me…”

(J. V. Stalin, Reply to the Greetings of the Workers of the Chief Railway Workshops in Tiflis)

quote:

“You speak of your devotion to me… I would advise you to discard the ‘principle’ of devotion to persons. It is not the Bolshevik way. Be devoted to the working class, its Party, its state. That is a fine and useful thing. But do not confuse it with devotion to persons, this vain and useless bauble of weak-minded intellectuals.”

(J. V. Stalin, Letter to Comrade Shatunovsky, August 1930)

quote:

“The times have passed when leaders were regarded as the only makers of history, while the workers and peasants were not taken into account. The destinies of nations and of states are now determined, not only by leaders, but primarily and mainly by the vast masses of the working people. The workers and the peasants, who without fuss and noise are building factories and mills, constructing mines and railways, building collective farms and state farms, creating all the values of life, feeding and clothing the whole worldt hey are the real heroes and the creators of the new life.”

(J.V. Stalin, Speech Delivered at the First All-Union Congress of Collective Farm Shock Brigadiers)

quote:

“I am absolutely against the publication of ‘Stories of the Childhood of Stalin’. The book abounds with a mass of inexactitudes of fact, of alterations, of exaggerations and off unmerited praise… the important thing resides it the fact that the book has a tendency to engrave on the minds of Soviet children (and people in general) the personality cult of leaders, of infallible heroes. This is dangerous and detrimental. The theory of ‘heroes’ and the ‘crowd’ is not a Bolshevik, but a Social-Revolutionary theory. I suggest we burn this book”.

(J. V. Stalin, Letter on Publications for Children Directed to the Central Committee of the All Union Communist Youth)

quote:

“the personality cult of leaders, of infallible heroes… is dangerous and detrimental. The theory of ‘heroes’ and the ‘crowd’ is not a Bolshevik, but a Social-Revolutionary theory.”

(J. V. Stalin, Letter on Publications for Children Directed to the Central Committee of the All Union Communist Youth)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

mods please change thread title to "r-world"

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

you always seem to show up to do this "rent free" "joke" every time a mod does something insanely stupid, you're very weird

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

:hai:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

a Loving Dog posted:

you always seem to show up to do this "rent free" "joke" every time a mod does something insanely stupid, you're very weird

Problem?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

yeah, i wish you'd make a good post instead

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ferrinus posted:

i'm not sure how you define "is working". if the idea of a good ik vs. a bad mod is that the good ik will let the r-word slide sometimes while the bad mod won't, but about six people who don't normally post here will start compulsively using the r-world if the bad mod ever shows his face, then it seems like you get slur use in either situation

Yes, let me think of the long and storied history of the r-word being used in the communism thread before FA mr. magooed his way through here. times like, uh

or also uh

hmm

almost like there's a specific kind of toxic dynamic here that led to the r-word being used that could be corrected by removing one of the moving parts

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

anyway its probably good that the mods don't pay rent since theyre working their asses off for free

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

yea ok posted:

my favorite part about the shitposting politics forum is all the rules lol. thankfully there will be no more smooth brained literal mouth-breathing mongotrog :downs: :saddowns: around to say the r-word

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

fwiw i don't like seeing the r-word itself and it detracts from my enjoyment of threads but when it's safely abstracted into an edgeless short form like "r-word" it can contribute to a light comedic tone and shouldnt be punished but thats just imo

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
So let me get this straight, your conditions for a thread with only a little bit of ablism (not sure how that's supposed to be acceptable but ok) are for Flavius to leave AND for him to threadban a non-mod poster you don't like? What if another ferrinus shows up? I feel like you're not thinking this through.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DjGVcFwD3I&t=29s

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Flying-PCP posted:

So let me get this straight, your conditions for a thread with only a little bit of ablism (not sure how that's supposed to be acceptable but ok) are for Flavius to leave AND for him to threadban a non-mod poster you don't like? What if another ferrinus shows up? I feel like you're not thinking this through.

how about we make another thread for you and ferrinus to suck off the mods in and we can keep this one for people to post interesting stuff that i actually want to read

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lenin ruled because he used to make up guys to get angry at.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Flying-PCP posted:

don't know who is proposing those things but that sure sounds silly OP

I just think we should have someone who isn't generally an rear end in a top hat to slap sixers for the r-word as needed maybe

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Flying-PCP posted:

You suck dude, go be a oval office somewhere else maybe?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
amazing how bitchmade the cspam mods are really just astounding :D

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yes, let me think of the long and storied history of the r-word being used in the communism thread before FA mr. magooed his way through here. times like, uh

or also uh

hmm

almost like there's a specific kind of toxic dynamic here that led to the r-word being used that could be corrected by removing one of the moving parts

FR magooed his way in here by doing a ton of terrible moderation re: china and xinjiang. as far as i know, anyway - idk if he has a history of being really obnoxious in some other c-spam megathread. to his credit he opened up discussion and reversed himself on xinjiang, even though i assume a bunch of people outside c-spam complained about it vociferously because, in their eyes, it was tantamount to mod-sanctioned genocide denial. after that he made some forgettable posts in here, probated i think larry (maybe larry wasn't the first?) over using a slur, and then you got all this nonsense

which is to say that the "toxic dynamic" seems to be probating for use of the r-word in the first place. if someone gets probated for using the r-word, and a bunch of other people start saying it or 95% saying it in protest, then those people are actually against their speech being curtailed, not the particular name that pops up in the leper's colony

Ferrinus has issued a correction as of 15:58 on May 17, 2021

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

what matters is moderation policy, not specific mods. that's why i don't personally believe you probating people for the same things is going to be received any better, whereas either you or the hated flavius just being cool and letting people say slurs will go down equally well

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

a Loving Dog posted:

Well unfortunately for ferrinus the mods have a type

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

don't know who is proposing those things but that sure sounds silly OP

I just think we should have someone who isn't generally an rear end in a top hat to slap sixers for the r-word as needed maybe

Raskolnikov said ferrinus shouldn't be allowed to 'try to be the center of the thread' (which is vague enough to basically just mean threadban him because wtf else would it mean)

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

a Loving Dog posted:

yeah, i wish you'd make a good post instead

comrade, wishing for the impossible is not the Bolshevik way

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Flying-PCP posted:

Raskolnikov said ferrinus shouldn't be allowed to 'try to be the center of the thread' (which is vague enough to basically just mean threadban him because wtf else would it mean)

probe him when he's being an obtuse weirdo probably

I wouldn't complain

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

this actually typifies a particular left-wing deviation pretty well, specifically the anarcho-trot paranoia about Bureaucratism or whatever where the mere fact of someone doing administrative labor inevitably corrupts them beyond recognition and this is why it is simply too dangerous to ever have a state rather than a continuous global insurrection. people confuse the form for the class character

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

like that, I would not complain if someone gave him a 6er for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

Ferrinus posted:

this actually typifies a particular left-wing deviation pretty well, specifically the anarcho-trot paranoia about Bureaucratism or whatever where the mere fact of someone doing administrative labor inevitably corrupts them beyond recognition and this is why it is simply too dangerous to ever have a state rather than a continuous global insurrection. people confuse the form for the class character

lol