Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Latest poll shows the recall campaign is going nowhere

- Newsom has 52% approval (Lower than his 64% at beginning of pandemic but Gray Davis was in the low 20s during his recall)
- Cox polling at 22%
- Jenner is at 6%, with only 13% of Republicans indicating they’d vote for her

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1392095398303604736?s=21

if the rock runs and polls like poo poo I'm going to post "looks like folks aren't smelling what the Rock is cooking"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah that's why it would be logical for the dems to run an Acceptable Alternative for pro-gavin people to vote for in the second vote but the California Dem machine won't allow even that amount of disloyalty

They should run Schmavin Schmewsom, a bland acceptable centrist Democrat with a beard, and if the Recall is successful, he just takes off his beard patches.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DrSunshine posted:

That's moronic. :laffo: I love our huge dumb state.

First past the post baby, that's how we do it in the land of the free. If you wanted to win the election, should have gotten the most votes. :911:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah that's why it would be logical for the dems to run an Acceptable Alternative for pro-gavin people to vote for in the second vote but the California Dem machine won't allow even that amount of disloyalty

What? No that’s a terrible idea. The entire point is to make sure question 1 never passes, making it a choice between Gavin and some republican. Putting a credible dem on the ballot means you run the risk of pulling 98% of GOP voters and half the Dems, getting you over the threshold for question 1 and guaranteeing a republican governor.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
What you need is an electrifying personality like a Cruz Bustamante that the Dems can rally around

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
The Democrats should amend the state constitution to reform the recall process - maybe require that more than a measly 12% of the electorate is required for approval of a recall, or maybe just get rid of it all altogether. They have supermajorities in both chambers of the state legislature.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FCKGW posted:

What? No that’s a terrible idea. The entire point is to make sure question 1 never passes, making it a choice between Gavin and some republican. Putting a credible dem on the ballot means you run the risk of pulling 98% of GOP voters and half the Dems, getting you over the threshold for question 1 and guaranteeing a republican governor.

everyone is supposed to vote for the second vote even if they vote to keep Newsom. It's not "who do you want to be governor," it's "should Gavin be recalled" and then "if Gavin is recalled, who should be governor." Right now their only choices in the second vote are republicans. If one dem and 5 republicans run then even if Newsom loses the recall then another Dem replaces him. I don't see how giving Dem voters nobody to vote for in the second vote helps Gavin get any more votes in the other vote. If someone didn't want to vote for Newsom and for instead wanted to vote for another dem then saying "it's newsom or nobody" isn't going to make them vote for him, it's going to make them not vote and help the catelyn jenner win the second vote with 10%

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Yeah, put Becerra as the backup recall candidate but keep minimal publicity, besides making it clear "if the recall goes through this is our guy".

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 16, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Pretty sure the lieutenant governor is on the ballot?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Sydin posted:

Pretty sure the lieutenant governor is on the ballot?

Nope, as of now there are six declared Dem candidates but they're all nobodies.

Edit: political types seem to think Bustamante hurt Davis in 2003, but that's pretty dumb because Davis was DOA as soon as Schwarzenegger declared. Newsom keeping others from running because he thinks that a strong Dem on the ballot might encourage a yes vote on the recall is petty and shortsighted, but "petty and shortsighted" is basically the California Liberal motto so it's to be expected.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 16, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

maybe batman will finally be elected in our state

thanks gavin

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sydin posted:

First past the post baby, that's how we do it in the land of the free. If you wanted to win the election, should have gotten the most votes. :911:

*Does not apply to the Presidency.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I don't know about you but I'm voting for Eric Andre

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Edit: political types seem to think Bustamante hurt Davis in 2003, but that's pretty dumb because Davis was DOA as soon as Schwarzenegger declared. Newsom keeping others from running because he thinks that a strong Dem on the ballot might encourage a yes vote on the recall is petty and shortsighted, but "petty and shortsighted" is basically the California Liberal motto so it's to be expected.
To the extent that happened in 2003, it would have to be related to campaigning, not the interactions of tactical voting/ideological purity voting/whatever. Even if you arbitrarily reassigned every blank and minor candidate vote to Bustamante, Schwarzenegger would still have won the plurality (and majority if we're just considering a combined Team R vs Team D+blank+minors)

My take on this election is that not having a backup centrist democrat consensus candidate probably doesn't matter much. I don't see many worlds where Gavbot 1.0 gets recalled but Gavbot 2.0 wins.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

*Does not apply to the Presidency.

If nothing else it's poetic that our country is being choked to death in large part by political systems that were originally set up to protect the interests of slave holders.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Tokyo is one of the most densely populated cities in the world and their rent is only $600-$1200 lol. And I'm not talking about those weird pod things I'm talking about multiple room appts.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

wear your masks, ashlanders

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

adoration for none posted:

Tokyo is one of the most densely populated cities in the world and their rent is only $600-$1200 lol. And I'm not talking about those weird pod things I'm talking about multiple room appts.

Unless your definition of multiple rooms means "has a bathroom" then this is absolutely not true. For that price you'd be looking at like a 150sqft tiny studio anywhere within 30 minutes of Shinjuku. Maybe if you're in like Yokohama far away from the train you could get a decent apartment for that price, but certainly not anywhere close to the main parts of Tokyo. Anywhere that's bigger than a shoebox (let's say >300sqft) is gonna be closer to $2000/month. On a per-sqft basis it's not much cheaper than the Bay Area - maybe 20-30% at most.

The thing that Tokyo actually does well is they build a diverse range of housing. Even in the nice neighborhoods you have 150sqft units renting for $1000/month getting built right next to penthouses going for $10,000+/month. New construction is not just luxury units like it is here in California. They also generally build things smaller - a typical 1br is like 400-500sqft there, vs 600-700sqft here, which allows more housing and cheaper prices.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Tokyo (and Japan) also have great public transportation unlike the states.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Tokyo (and Japan) also have great public transportation unlike the states.

This can’t be emphasized enough and it’s hard for us Americans to understand because public transit is complete dogshit here outside of a handful of urban cores. You can live in some no name far flung suburb in Tokyo and chances are there’s a well serviced express line that goes anywhere in the interior city.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
They even kept a stop open for one person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BhiGKFtUA4

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
still waiting for a definition of "luxury housing" because it sure ain't in the building code, housing laws, or anywhere else

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Greg12 posted:

still waiting for a definition of "luxury housing" because it sure ain't in the building code, housing laws, or anywhere else

Stainless steel clad appliances
Fake wood floors
Divided sinks where both sides are too small to wash your largest pan
A lounge on the bottom floor that no one ever uses

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Don't you come for my vinyl flooring.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Greg12 posted:

luxury housing is just as functional as regular housing but more expensive. just like a rolex doesn't tell time any better than a $30 timex

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Greg12 posted:

Starting at $3,200/month in rent for an apartment that really should be going for half that at most.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Luxury housing is anything in a large, new development. It is not necessarily luxurious.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Don't you come for my vinyl flooring.

While reading over the lease for my new apartment (first in 12 years) I noticed there were Prop 65 warnings in there specifically because of the vinyl floors. And a section just for P65 warnings about generic plastic too separated at the end of the packet.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

Divided sinks where both sides are too small to wash your largest pan

Uggghhhhhhhh that's the worst, love 2 have reduced functionality in my sink

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Shear Modulus posted:

luxury housing is just as functional as regular housing but more expensive. just like a rolex doesn't tell time any better than a $30 timex
This is a terrible analogy. A Rolex is built with more expensive materials and in an extremely labor intensive way. Luxury housing is just a $30 Timex with the word luxury slapped on the box. It means nothing, it's a marketing buzzword, it's the exact same builder-grade housing as everything else. It's not even stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and tile/wood flooring - that's just currently what's in fashion for design.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I don't think it's about what's inside. It's about whether it returns more and stores more Capital. That's all there is to it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Luxury Housing means "amenities I'll never use because I'm too busy, but I'll point them out to guests"

Or

"Stuff to keep me away from the poors"

It's all about selling this image of having rooftop wines next to a fire pit.

But I'm of the opinion that stuff should be offered wherever possible at even the lovely poor people apartments but the riche fucks can't even stay up with the upkeep so gently caress that chance.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Friend of mine lives in a "luxury" townhouse that was only built six years ago, and the place is more rapidly falling apart than my old place that was built in 1952. Visible cracking of the drywall where it meets the ceiling, tons of plumbing and electrical problems, and more. They just threw up something on the cheap, gave it a nice coat of stucco, and called it "luxury".

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"Luxury" means the developer spent a few thousand extra dollars on fancier fixtures (countertops, tiles, faucets, etc.) so he bump the price of the unit by many tens of thousands of dollars.

If you can turn a $600k condo into a $700k condo just by spending an extra $10k on granite countertops and fancy backsplash tiles and calling it "luxury", then guess what - every condo/apartment/house is going to be a "luxury" unit.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Sydin posted:

Friend of mine lives in a "luxury" townhouse that was only built six years ago, and the place is more rapidly falling apart than my old place that was built in 1952. Visible cracking of the drywall where it meets the ceiling, tons of plumbing and electrical problems, and more. They just threw up something on the cheap, gave it a nice coat of stucco, and called it "luxury".
Exactly. Luxury might mean nicer materials and amenities and services...or it could just mean the developer slapped "luxury" on a basic new development to try and market it better.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Luxury just means new, market rate construction.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Centrist Committee posted:

Luxury just means new, market rate construction.

Not new construction necessarily, recently renovated buildings are also "luxury," especially downtown.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Sydin posted:

That's defective construction. It's a game builders play. They're on the hook (usually) for 10 years for any and all defective construction as defined by California Civil Code 896 and 897. They try to build just well enough that expensive stuff will last 10 years. Drywall cracking is almost certainly not shoddy drywall work, but rather foundation movement (and certain developers love to skimp on foundation recommendations and design).

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
"luxury" means absolutely nothing at all. Apartments that are "luxury" when built become affordable as the building ages and city and which neighborhoods in it are considered desirable change. And in places like SF where housing growth hasn't kept up with demand, housing that was once affordable becomes "luxury" simply due to where it is.

If gentrification has an aesthetic, it isn't newer gray apartment buildings or granite countertops or whatever, that's just what modern construction looks like. It's older buildings that were cheap in the past being renovated and marked up.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

luxury housing is like gaming pcs/devices. basically the same (sometimes even lower quality than regular stuff) but has a few token bells and whistles and shiny lights and 4x the price